Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Univega Via de Oro

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Univega Via de Oro

Old 05-23-19, 12:13 AM
AiCe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Univega Via de Oro

Hello,

I collected abandoned univega via de oro bike probably from 1996. I would like to bring it to second life, but not sure which way to go. It has shimano cx700 as rear derailleur, cx400 brakes and shifters. However, front deraileur is missing. Maybe you know if these parts originally were good quality? Is it hard to find front derailleur? I am considering three ways, one to make fixed speed bike from it, another is to make it back to its orginal state as a touring bike and third to make it as a vintage racer. Does the geometry of the frame is very different from that year racing bikes or i could just find race bike wheel and put on it? Also, I noticed that shifters are indexed, so maybe you know if newer shimano shifters would work with the groupset? Willing to spend as less as possible. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-23-19, 08:19 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Shimano's CX_series were components designed for hybrid bicycles. They were produced for the 1992-1995 model years. The Via de Oro was Univega's top hybrid during this era but was equipped with SunTour in 1992 and Shimano STX in 1995, so what you have should be a 1993 or 1994 model. Original MSRP was $600-$625, depending on the exact year, which we may be able to determine from the serial number. I'd consider it very low mid-range. They do resemble a touring bicycle, except for the flat handlebar. The least expensive approach would be to replace the front derailleur. Shimano ATB derailleurs from 1990 onward should not have a problem with the indexing but a many of the more modern front derailleurs pull cable from the top and use larger clamp diameters, so you have to make sure you get the correct cable pull style and clamp diameter for your frame.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 05-23-19, 02:18 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
The Via de Oro from that era may have Univega's Bi-Axial Power Oval frame, which is pretty nifty looking. Some had a spatter-paint scheme too. Should make for a good bike to build up to your preferences.

There's an entire thread on the C&V forum dedicated to converting older style mountain bikes and MTB-lite type hybrids. Most folks seem to prefer drop bars, but I like swept albatross bars on my early '90s Univega Via Carisma. It's a nice city bike configuration that's also competent for casual gravel rides, both comfortable and reasonably aero for long casual rides.
Old 05-23-19, 05:55 PM
concordino

Bikes: Miyata, Koga Miyata, Giant Cadex, GT, Trek, Bianchi, Legnano, Alpinestars, Cannondale, Kastle, Schwinn Paramount, Sakae, Marin

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
T-Mar,

I’ve got a similar Via De Oro as well. It’s green / tan combo with the power oval frame, Araya TX350 rims, Shimano CX700/CX400 components and Concept USA stem/handlebar/seatpost combo.

Would you happen to have a catalog reference page on it ?

thank you.
Old 05-27-19, 12:57 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Sorry, I don't have any early 1990s Univega catalogues, only price lists. At best, they offeer a cursory description. Both 1993 and 1894 were a 400CX/700CX mix but it doesn't beak things down beyond that. The 1993 mentions TIG welded Bi-Axial Power Oval CrMo while the 1994 just says TIG welded oversize CrMo. Colours aren't mentjoned but we may be able to determine the model year from the serial number.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 06-02-19, 10:34 PM
concordino

Bikes: Miyata, Koga Miyata, Giant Cadex, GT, Trek, Bianchi, Legnano, Alpinestars, Cannondale, Kastle, Schwinn Paramount, Sakae, Marin

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Thank you T-Mar, will post pictures and the serial number when I dig it out from storage soon hopefully.
Old 06-22-19, 02:32 AM
concordino

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Old 06-22-19, 02:34 AM
concordino

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Serial number

WEKG03694
Old 06-22-19, 07:19 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Nice! That is indeed the Bi-Axial Power Oval frame. Not sure it performed any better but it looks nifty. And that paint job is more subtle than the splatter paint on my Via Carisma.
Old 06-24-19, 07:44 AM
concordino

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Nice! That is indeed the Bi-Axial Power Oval frame. Not sure it performed any better but it looks nifty. And that paint job is more subtle than the splatter paint on my Via Carisma.
So far I cannot feel any difference to the handling. It rides like any typical steel bike. The combined double ovalness sure looks cool and unique.

I guess that makes it a 1993.
Old 01-24-21, 06:00 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by concordino
So far I cannot feel any difference to the handling. It rides like any typical steel bike. The combined double ovalness sure looks cool and unique.

I guess that makes it a 1993.
Hey guys, I picked up this purple one last month, at a Goodwill for $24.99. 😎😁😎 It’s definitely a power oval, so apparently a 1993, thanks. 👍

Much thanks to T-Mar, for educating me on these, in another thread, awhile back. ✌️

Likes For stardognine:
Old 01-26-21, 03:55 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

BTW, I’ve been touring in Oregon & NorthernCalifornia, where cell signals are just a myth, lol. I went up to Longview, Washington, across the Columbia River from Rainier, Oregon. That’s pretty close to where the Columbia empties into the Pacific Ocean, and it’s pretty cool to see. 👍

I also passed Mt. Shasta, invisible in this pic, but visible from Weed, CA, which. only recently got it’s first dispensary. 😎 Weed was actually named for an early settler, but it’s one of those annoying “facts” that get in the way of real history. 🤔😁😉

Old 02-02-21, 10:38 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,564 Times in 1,214 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
BTW, I’ve been touring in Oregon & NorthernCalifornia, where cell signals are just a myth, lol. I went up to Longview, Washington, across the Columbia River from Rainier, Oregon. That’s pretty close to where the Columbia empties into the Pacific Ocean, and it’s pretty cool to see. 👍

I also passed Mt. Shasta, invisible in this pic, but visible from Weed, CA, which. only recently got it’s first dispensary. 😎 Weed was actually named for an early settler, but it’s one of those annoying “facts” that get in the way of real history. 🤔😁😉8

You've gone through.a few bikes on this trip?
Old 02-01-23, 08:44 AM
Cgnman59

Bikes: 2009 Giant FCR2, 1994 Univega Via DeOro, 1990 Schwinn Sierra MOS

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
I just bought a very similar Via De Oro for $50 off FB marketplace.while the paint is not bad it needs a thorough overall as the previous owner had not ridden it in over 20 years. The biggest differences I see are that mine does not have the word Chromoly on the down tube, Univega lettering is gold on mine not white. The purple color seems to be the same. My serial# starts with WEKK so ‘93 or 94?

Last edited by Cgnman59; 02-01-23 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Missspelling
Old 02-02-23, 02:58 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Originally Posted by curbtender
You've gone through.a few bikes on this trip?
Hey, I just saw this, wasn't ignoring you on purpose. 🙂

Yep, I've lost track now, of how many bikes I went through, and even when I left Pennsylvania, lol. 🙄😉

I've found a lot of interesting stuff about Mt. Shasta, since I went past it. The American Indians believe humans originated there, and it's also claimed to be visited often by Sasquatch, space aliens, and lizard people. There's a lot of stuff on the interwebs, if you're ever bored. 😁
Likes For stardognine:
Old 03-20-23, 01:42 PM
Cgnman59

Bikes: 2009 Giant FCR2, 1994 Univega Via DeOro, 1990 Schwinn Sierra MOS

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Raining Via De Oro's

A couple of months ago I contacted a guy about another Via De Oro that he was parting out for $20. I texted him wanting the wheels and he said the next time he was in Raleigh, NC he would bring them. I completely forgot about it but then a couple weekends ago he texted to let me know he was in town and had brought the bike. What was I supposed to do? I told him 2 months ago I would take it for the wheels but took the whole bike instead for $20. As you can see using Turtlewax polishing compound really had a positive impact on the finish of both bikes. The one I bought for $20 is definitely a '93. The big difference between the '93 & '94 is the braze-ons behind the saddle for the '93 are...well....brazed on. For the '94 they are integrated into the frame. I realized the finish on the '93 frame is actually in better shape than the '94 although the '94 is not bad. With the parts from both bikes, I can put together a rather nice version of the Via de Oro for my son to ride when he is visiting, probably the '93. With the '94 frame? I'll definitely build it out, just need to decide what direction to go with it.

Here is the 1993 Via De Oro. It is missing the shifter for the rear as well as the brake lever for the rear.

The braze-ons for the '93

the braze-ons for the '94 are integrated into the frame.
Likes For Cgnman59:
Old 03-21-23, 03:40 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2923 Post(s)
Liked 2,913 Times in 1,488 Posts
Cgnman59 Again great looking colors and nice bike. I’d love to find one of these my size.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-12-24, 02:37 PM
frbock

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wanted to post a picture of my 1992 Via Carisma because the welds are so much nicer looking than later years. Unfortunately, I don't have enough posts yet,
In 1992, the bike was bi-axial tubing, and the deraileur Was Exage 500CX. It had Exage hubs, but I wore them out