Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help me un-destroy my aheadset?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-19, 08:40 AM
tonyfourdogs

Bikes: Marin Palisades Trail (1991)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hello

Today I am/ was fixing a bike with more play in the headset than the complete works of shakespeare. Being an aheadset (I've only ever serviced the old kind before) I watched the park tool video on adjusting them, and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it looked.

So I took off the cap, and checked that the steerer length wasn't an issue (it wasn't), and made sure to loosen the pinch bolts on the stem. Then I re-tightened the main bolt, and checked for play. Still lots of play. Tightened a quarter turn more. No change and it was getting fairly hard to turn at this point. So I made one last effort, heard a gentle click in the steerer tube (but felt no motion) and then rounded the bolt.

So I now have a rounded bolt that's super tight and still have loads of play in the headset. WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING? (And how do I fix it, please.)

Thanks in advance
Old 05-05-19, 09:02 AM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
You probably needed an extra spacer. You get to a point where if you don't have enough spacer, the cap pushes against the steerer tube instead of "pulling" it and taking out the play. First thing you'll have to do is take out the rounded bolt. Then see if adding a spacer will take out the play.
Old 05-05-19, 09:13 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 818 Posts
Originally Posted by tonyfourdogs
Hello

Today I am/ was fixing a bike with more play in the headset than the complete works of shakespeare. Being an aheadset (I've only ever serviced the old kind before) I watched the park tool video on adjusting them, and was pleasantly surprised at how easy it looked.

So I took off the cap, and checked that the steerer length wasn't an issue (it wasn't), and made sure to loosen the pinch bolts on the stem. Then I re-tightened the main bolt, and checked for play. Still lots of play. Tightened a quarter turn more. No change and it was getting fairly hard to turn at this point. So I made one last effort, heard a gentle click in the steerer tube (but felt no motion) and then rounded the bolt.

So I now have a rounded bolt that's super tight and still have loads of play in the headset. WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING? (And how do I fix it, please.)

Thanks in advance
As I understand your post, you were tightening the top cap/steer tube bolt without tightening the pinch bolts on the stem. On the bikes that I have that have a threadless headset and stem, there is a sort of a sequence to tightening everything to prevent any looseness/play with the tube and the headset. If I am wrong, someone else on the forums will correct. I first tighten the pinch bolts on the stem just until they are a bit tight. Then tighten the top cap/steer tube bolt until it is just snug on the top of the stem. I then tighten the stem pinch bolts to proper nm. Make sure the stem is tight on the steer tube. Then go back to the top cap/steer tube bolt and tighten it down the rest of the way to proper nm. That is what works for me. I do not know what to do about the rounded bolt other than take to a LBS. First I would wait for a more mechanically experienced forum member to chime in on this.
Old 05-05-19, 09:21 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
a spacer above the stem may provide the added length needed so your cap preload adjustment does what's needed..
I gather Carbon seerers need this often, so both stem bolts grip the tube, fully, where metal 1 & a Half may suffice ..
top bolt at the edge of the steerer.. stem extending above ..
so cap won't bottom out on steerer tube edge.

Old 05-05-19, 09:37 AM
ChinookTx

Originally Posted by delbiker1
Make sure the stem is tight on the steer tube. Then go back to the top cap/steer tube bolt and tighten it down the rest of the way to proper nm.
The top cap should only be used to put load on the stem and take out any play there might be in the headset. It should not be tightened any more than that, even once the stem bolts have been tightened to proper torque.
Old 05-05-19, 10:23 AM
tonyfourdogs

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for your replies, folks. I maybe didn't explain very well - I don't need more spacers, the steerer tube is a good 4-5mm from the top of the stem, so I should have lots of room to tighten it up and remove the play?

Since making my post I have wondered if the spacers might be seized to the steerer, and that's what's causing the issue. Is that a thing? They're alu and the stem is steel, so if there's galvanic corrosion, it could be enough to stop the tube moving up to close the gap?

The top cap should only be used to put load on the stem and take out any play there might be in the headset. It should not be tightened any more than that, even once the stem bolts have been tightened to proper torque.
This was also what I thought after watching the park tool video.

Wish me luck getting that rounded bolt out then
Old 05-05-19, 10:39 AM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Use a spline slightly bigger than the Allen key you used to tighten the bolt. Tap it in if nessecary. Usually works to get out rounded bolts.
I generally give the stem a tap down with the wheel in the fork and on the ground to snug up the headset before i start to tighten down the stem. Gets it close and you will see any issues before you damage anything.
Old 05-05-19, 10:57 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
Aside from the current issue of a rounded out bolt, you may have a bad/disintegrated lower headset bearing. Lower bearings see a lot of grit from dirty water being sprayed into the bearing and causes the steel parts to rust and fall apart. This may be the reason for the initial play in the steerer. If the lower bearing has disintegrated, no amount of tightening will take out the play until the bearings are replaced.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 05-05-19, 12:16 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26415 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts

...I've only installed one of these Aheadsets., and it was a couple of years ago. From what I remember, it was set up like this one, with the bearing cartridges directional, and some rubber seals. So after you get the bolt out, if it were me I'd take the thing completely apart and check for any mistakes in the order of assembly. You can check the bearings for any wear or malfunction at the same time.

The only other possibility that occurs to me is that the fork race might be installed improperly, or that someone who didn't know much about these maybe installed one without pulling off the old fork crown race and installing the new one that comes with the headset. They won't work with just any old crown race.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 05-05-19, 12:32 PM
tonyfourdogs

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the extra info

I tried tapping out the bolt with a chisel, but it just made matters worse. However, I also sprayed the spacers with penetrating oil, and gave the whole area a good few taps with the rubber mallet. The bolt is still stripped, but there's definitely less play in the headset now... I feel like such an idiot.
Old 05-05-19, 12:55 PM
ChinookTx

Get something like that from the hardware store. They are handy to have around and not too expensive:

https://www.amazon.ca/FULARR-Profess...-3-spons&psc=1
Old 05-05-19, 01:38 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Since making my post I have wondered if the spacers might be seized to the steerer, and that's what's causing the issue. Is that a thing? They're alu and the stem is steel, so if there's galvanic corrosion, it could be enough to stop the tube moving up to close the gap?
was the outside of the steerer painted or greased when you put it together? if not it could be rusted steel..
Old 05-06-19, 03:57 AM
tonyfourdogs

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ChinookTx
Get something like that from the hardware store. They are handy to have around and not too expensive:

https://www.amazon.ca/FULARR-Profess...-3-spons&psc=1
This looks great! Thanks for that - I had no idea something like that was available.

Originally Posted by fietsbob
was the outside of the steerer painted or greased when you put it together? if not it could be rusted steel..
I didn't put it together - I rescued from a life of neglect So... probably not!
Old 05-07-19, 09:31 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by tonyfourdogs
So I took off the cap, and checked that the steerer length wasn't an issue (it wasn't),
Tell us more about that part.

First look at your steer tube. It needs to be a little bit SHORTER than the top of the stem or spacer stack. Next look at your top cap. Some are dead flat on the bottom, some have a little bulge on the bottom. That bulge can't touch the top of the steer tube.

If the top cap contacts the steer tube AT ALL, it can't pull the fork and bottom race upward to set the preload.
Old 05-07-19, 06:23 PM
Cycle Tourist

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Easy-out

The screw extractor set looks neat but you could buy a single "easy-out" in the size you need.
Old 05-09-19, 09:45 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Is this on your '91 Palisades? They came stock with a Ritchey Logic headset which is for threaded steerer tubes. Pretty big difference in the way you go about adjusting things.
Old 05-22-19, 11:35 AM
tonyfourdogs

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for your replies, chaps.

Yes, the steerer tube is completely clear of the stem. In fact, I drilled out the old bolt, disassembled the headset (with extreme difficulty - it was corroded to all hell) and rebuilt it today.

But now I have a different problem.

I've replaced and regreased the bearings, cleaned the steerer tube, put everything back together, and there's no play in the headset. Problem is, the steering is really stiff, and only loosens up if I slack the bolt off enough to allow a little play in the headset. Is my frame trash? I'm going back to quill stems from now on
Old 05-22-19, 09:14 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
Something was funny, maybe the wrong wrench. I’ve over tightened that bolt before too, it’ll twist the star nut out before it rounds the bolt.

As for the current problem. Did you get the little circular wedge in place when you reassembled it? Are the bearings in right? Did you check to be sure nothing got damaged in the original incident?