Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuting and sweat and body odor.

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuting and sweat and body odor.

Old 05-11-19, 07:15 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
I start clean, cool down, bird bath if necessary change into fresh street clothes (including socks and underwear), deo & body spray.

I've noticed that since I changed to quick-dry, wicking shirts and shorts, body odor is even less if an issue. The clothes themselves...not so much. I hang them in a room with a vent fan.
Old 05-16-19, 11:25 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
It leaves no scent and evaporates quickly and refreshingly. It can also be used to clean “down there” to prevent lesions from the saddle.
Oh boy. 91% isopropyl alcohol on 'down there' parts? Whooooo! Not sure the screaming will be so refreshing to others

Lots of good advice (mostly) already in this thread. The gist is - start out clean in breathable clothes, then dry off, clean up (with baby wipes/towel/paper towels), put on deodorant, new clothes, voila.
Old 05-16-19, 11:43 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Observations: If I am sweating regularly, I smell not so bad (at least until the dirty clothes ripen). But if I haven't sweated for a few days it's bad, especially my armpits. Now, I have used the Performance tanktop style mesh tops as a first layer for years. Recently I've been leaving the house with those, then a short-sleeved light thermal over and the rest of my layers over that. Get to my commute end and in the bathroom pull off everything down to the tanktop, do a quick wash of my pits and put all back on save the SS thermal. I feel and smell a lot better. That quick cleanup is fast and uses just 1-2 paper towels.

Depending on my situation, I've showered, paper towel bathed and the above at various jobs over the decades.

Edit: the new T-shirts and briefs are a huge step up from cotton. I sweat less, smell better and feel more comfortable. Patagonia makes really nice, lightweight ones. I've picked up two now from Cycle Oregon rides that are a touch heavier and just as nice. FEel as close to fine silk as anything synthetic I've ever worn. I love them when I go to a music jam in a bar what can be either warm or cool (it's an ancient building) but on stage I may be sweating. Feel much better when I go back to sit in tight quarters. I've been retired since I made this discovery but they are one of my "I wish I had these then" items.

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 05-16-19 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-16-19, 12:59 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,854 Times in 1,436 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
As an aside, people stink in Europe and change much less frequently than in the US. I'm OK with that.
I usually don't care for the US vs. Europe comparisons because the context is so different that what works there wouldn't really help us, but the point here about the way people smell is something I can embrace. People in the US wouldn't even need to adopt European levels of body odor tolerance. Just allowing people to smell like people would be a huge leap forward. I try not to offend with my body odor and I feel like by the time I'm smelling it it's probably unpleasant for the people around me, but my attitude is that if I don't notice my own smell then the people around me can probably tolerate it.

I have showers at work, but I don't generally use them. Nor do I shower every day at home. I sweat on the way to work, so I change clothes when I get here. It gives me a good excuse for wearing bike-specific clothing, which I think is more comfortable to ride in. I don't smell bad enough that anyone says anything to me, and I haven't noticed anyone giving me sideways looks. My wife would definitely tell me if I smelled bad at home.

A strange thing I've noticed is that I start to develop BO more quickly if I don't bike to work for a day or two than if I do. My theory is that sweating cleanses your pores and as long as you get the sweat off of your body in a reasonable time the net effect is positive.
Old 05-16-19, 03:49 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I shower in the evening or the morning before the ride, and as my deodorant I use 91% rubbing alcohol. This is used to clean the skin prior to drawing blood and is an effective bactericide. It leaves no scent and evaporates quickly and refreshingly. It can also be used to clean “down there” to prevent lesions from the saddle.
Originally Posted by autonomy
Oh boy. 91% isopropyl alcohol on 'down there' parts? Whooooo! Not sure the screaming will be so refreshing to others

Lots of good advice (mostly) already in this thread. The gist is - start out clean in breathable clothes, then dry off, clean up (with baby wipes/towel/paper towels), put on deodorant, new clothes, voila.
Well, as I noted it is used to prevent sore from the saddle. But sure, if you already have one...

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-17-19 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-17-19, 11:09 AM
Ged117 

Bikes: 1951 Sun Wasp, 1953 Armstrong Consort, 1975 Raleigh Competition, 1980 Apollo Gran Sport, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur, Mystery MTB

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 189 Posts
I ride to work in shorts and t-shirt during warm weather (which lasts a few scant and yet humid months here at this part of the planet). I clean up and cool off in the washroom, change into my work clothing, and move on. I am looking for touring / commuting sandals from Keen. I also have very hot feet most of the time, so the sandals are a real comfort multiplier. I just need stiff-soled ones for longer trips.
Old 05-17-19, 12:17 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
I live where it's plenty hot but dry - I often don't start sweating a lot until I STOP riding and the air stops flowing. I'm not a stinky sweater, but have sometimes kept some Gold Bond on hand that I'll apply in a bathroom stall.
Old 05-21-19, 06:36 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
When I lived in Arizona I used to ride about 5 miles to work on flat ground. Even in summer it was "relatively" cooler in the morning and I didn't bust it riding in to work so when I got to work I wasn't that sweaty. However, I still dried off outside and put my work clothes on when I got to work.

Now I live in North Carolina and thinking of commuting again but it's way different here. The heat and humidity makes me sweat like a pig even if I ride slowly. My ride is now 8 miles. There's a YMCA just half a block away so I'll probably shower there before walking in to work.

For those of you who think you don't smell at work, reconsider, there were folks out in Arizona that rode 8 to 10 miles and thought they didn't smell because they said, "I don't sweat". Wrong. You do sweat, the dry weather just dries the sweat off the body. That's why they smelled at work. And, people did know they smelled. They smelled like sweat. Not pleasant to be around especially in a conference room with the doors closed.......

I was so self-conscious about it that I often asked a trusted buddy at work if I smelled. He gave me a straight answer too. Once in a while when he gave me the "look" I'd camp out in an empty "hotel room" (small one-man phone room) and often rode back home at lunch, showered and drove my car back to work.

--

Last edited by drlogik; 05-21-19 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-21-19, 06:45 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
When I ride home in 115F I sweat like crazy. But it dries of instantly on wind facing surfaces. Too much in fact as my sweat can't keep up with the evaporation and I get hotter and hotter.
Then I get home, strip down to my thong and sit on my cool down chair. Quickly a large deep puddle of sweat develops and my wife bring out the mop and tells me to clean up.
Old 05-30-19, 09:25 PM
EngProducts
EngineeredProducts Etsy

Bikes: Trek Boone Race Shop Limited

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ask your work to install a shower. This would promote more people at your work to be active which would increase productivity.
Old 05-31-19, 06:01 AM
beachball42

Bikes: Trek Verve 2, Trek 4900 MTB

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I do have showers at work when my company built an onsite fitness center last year so that along with a change to our dress code allowed me to start bike commuting last year. If they didn't, there is are two fitness centers near by that I could have ridden too, showered and then the ride from those gym's to my office would have been less than a mile. My ride is 7.5 miles one way and in cool weather and peddling easy I don't really sweat too much but now with rising temps, it doesn't matter how slow I go I'll still work up a decent lather.
Old 05-31-19, 06:30 AM
mojojojo

Bikes: breezer greenway, mercier corvus, stache 8, diamondback trail bike

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I bike 8 miles from Hapeville to Atlanta. Most days I go to the gym and shower there, but sometimes I ride directly to work. When I don't go to the gym, I shower before I leave home, rest a few moments when I get to work, change into work clothes and put on deodorant. I keep baby wipes at work but haven't used them. It is hot but the stink hasn't really been an issue and I sweat a lot.
Old 05-31-19, 06:53 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by mojojojo
I bike 8 miles from Hapeville to Atlanta. Most days I go to the gym and shower there, but sometimes I ride directly to work. When I don't go to the gym, I shower before I leave home, rest a few moments when I get to work, change into work clothes and put on deodorant. I keep baby wipes at work but haven't used them. It is hot but the stink hasn't really been an issue and I sweat a lot.
Resting fro a few minutes before changing is such an important step

It takes the body time to cool down.

I still sweat for 5 minutes after I get inside. I just let that happen. Keep toweling off. Wait until I really dry off. Then I change.

Now I don't sweat in my work clothes.
Old 05-31-19, 07:03 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
Alcohol, especially in high concentration, will dry out the skin badly with repeated topical use.
Yes, but buying a round of alcohol for co-workers repeatedly (especially in high concentrations) will raise their tolerance for any occasional funk.
Old 05-31-19, 07:32 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Ride to work in T-Shirt and Shorts/Jeans 10 miles. No showers at work until July. Just cool off and change my top. Starting this week to wear a jersey to see the difference. No one has complained yet. lol
Old 05-31-19, 07:59 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Witch hazel is a great alternative to alcohol. It also promotes quick drying and cooling of sweat, but it doesn't dry the skin. Try it! Also, it's nearly odorless.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-31-19, 08:04 AM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by noglider
Witch hazel is a great alternative to alcohol. It also promotes quick drying and cooling of sweat, but it doesn't dry the skin. Try it! Also, it's nearly odorless.
It's great for itching and bug bites too
Old 05-31-19, 08:09 AM
Skipjacks

Originally Posted by noisebeam
When I ride home in 115F I sweat like crazy. But it dries of instantly on wind facing surfaces. Too much in fact as my sweat can't keep up with the evaporation and I get hotter and hotter.
Then I get home, strip down to my thong and sit on my cool down chair. Quickly a large deep puddle of sweat develops and my wife bring out the mop and tells me to clean up.
You know....there is such a thing as 'oversharing'

Old 06-07-19, 10:04 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
My commutes have ranged from less than a mile to my current 16.7 miles. The former was in the Bay Area, CA and I just wore my work clothes as I never broke a sweat. I had another similar commute in San Diego which was around 4 miles. Again, I just wore my work clothes. Weather rarely got too hot and inclement.

Now, I have a commute just shy of 17 miles one way in the DC area. It gets hot and humid here so having a locker room with showers at work (also a nice gym) helps.
Old 06-07-19, 10:16 AM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
There is no AC in Europe, so in the summer, people are ripe, which is OK. Also, clothing is more expensive for the same items but we make less money (on average) so stuff gets washed less frequently.
We're obsessed with this now in North America, but when I was a kid most folks bathed about once a week on average and we didn't wash clothing with anywhere near the frequency that we do now. And back then most people were considerably more active than we are today.

But back to the OP: I agree that if you start clean, you won't smell even if you do sweat quite a bit on your commute. We do have a shower at work, but I've never bothered with it. I keep a change of clothes in my office and after I cool down I'll wipe down with some neutral hand wipes if necessary and put the office clothes on.
Old 06-07-19, 02:58 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
There is no AC in Europe
but you have bidets
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 06-08-19, 01:18 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
but you have bidets
I just put a bidet in my house. I can't understand why people wouldn't want one unless they wanted to use a shower after every poop.
Likes For acidfast7:
Old 06-08-19, 01:47 PM
SactoDoug
eMail Sold to Spammers

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
My previous job did not have a shower available. I used a wash cloth and rubbing alcohol to freshen up. I would also bring a fresh set of work cloths to change into. My coworkers didn't know I was riding to work unless they were there very early and saw me ride in.
Old 06-08-19, 05:27 PM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Observations: If I am sweating regularly, I smell not so bad (at least until the dirty clothes ripen). But if I haven't sweated for a few days it's bad, especially my armpits.....
Agreed. If I am sweating regularly and staying hydrated, I smell not so bad. Spend too much time indoors, not eating and drinking properly, or office type stress sweat, then big stink.

Guessing one answer is to just keep on sweating and hydrating non stop during the summer months here in Tx.
Old 06-09-19, 01:24 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
I don't have a shower at work; I just wipe down with a wet rag and keep deodorant at work, then change into my work clothes. I've never noticed a stink or funk.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.