Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Greetings from Delaware!

Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Greetings from Delaware!

Old 05-13-19, 05:36 AM
AaronWallace

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greetings from Delaware!

Hi! I like to ride bikes. I currently own two, I am shopping for another road bike, one with wide gearing and set up for sportives and club rides, maybe a little randonneuring.

I currently ride around the Brandywine Valley in Delaware and Pennsylvania; and Wilmington Delaware, I am planning on doing some light Delmarva Based Touring later in the year with a ride down to the beach sometime in the height of summer.

I almost exclusively ride alone and I want to change that but its hard when you work nights. This year has already been a pretty big one for me riding my first group 100k down in Bethany (in a giant windstorm no less) and I am going to do the Wilmington Gran Fondo on Sunday maybe I will see a few of you there, you could give me a tow!
Old 05-14-19, 03:07 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Originally Posted by AaronWallace
Hi! I like to ride bikes. I currently own two, I am shopping for another road bike, one with wide gearing and set up for sportives and club rides, maybe a little randonneuring.

I currently ride around the Brandywine Valley in Delaware and Pennsylvania; and Wilmington Delaware, I am planning on doing some light Delmarva Based Touring later in the year with a ride down to the beach sometime in the height of summer.

I almost exclusively ride alone and I want to change that but its hard when you work nights. This year has already been a pretty big one for me riding my first group 100k down in Bethany (in a giant windstorm no less) and I am going to do the Wilmington Gran Fondo on Sunday maybe I will see a few of you there, you could give me a tow!
Welcome. I live 6 miles west of Bethany and you probably rode right past my house in the 100K ride.
Old 05-14-19, 08:00 AM
Racnee

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi Delaware. Welcome.
Old 05-14-19, 10:39 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,561 Times in 3,763 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums!
Old 05-14-19, 07:10 PM
AaronWallace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much everybody! The Bethany Ride was a ton of fun I wish it wasn't as windy as it was we had sustained winds around 20 miles an hour out of the north west but me and my two buddies managed the 100 kilometers in 4 hours inclusive of rest stops.
Old 05-25-19, 05:48 AM
AaronWallace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Coming back to this thread to ask a question, I have an old Atala frame with either campy victory or triumph complete, Currently I enjoy it on the very very flat land towards the south of the state, but I would like to use it on the hills to my north, I am not fit enough to push a 42/21 up a half mile 6% grade. I am currently debating stripping off the old groupset and selling it on ebay and building up something new, but I fear approaching 1500 dollars in build cost because I can buy decent carbon bikes complete for that amount of money.
Old 05-25-19, 03:26 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 2,170 Times in 1,462 Posts
Welcome. I bought my Cervelo at Garrisons near you in Wilmington. I would stop in there and some other stores, see what you can get for $1500, and take some test rides. You could either keep the Alta or sell it whole or in parts. $1500 buys a nice bike.
Old 05-25-19, 04:06 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Purchasing a new bike with the components at least close to what you want is pretty much always more cost effective. Even with a new bike you are likely going to upgrade the saddle and tires. Handlebars and stem are often upgraded also. A higher cost upgrade, but arguably worth it are wheels. Main thing no matter what, is a bike that fits you and the style of riding you are going to do.
Old 05-27-19, 09:15 AM
AaronWallace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Delbiker that's some great advice, getting the drivetrain and frameset right at the bikeshop is going to save me money down the line. You are absolutely right wheelset should be the most expensive foreseeable upgrade beyond consumables when I buy the bike.

Stan Seven, I am lucky in that I can ride my bike to Garrison's. They are great about setting up test rides for me and it's very likely that I will buy my bike from him unless something amazing pops up on craigslist soon.

Is anybody else going to the Amish country Bike tour out of Dover, on Sept. 7th, I perhaps over ambitiously signed up for the imperial century, see you there. I will also be at the Dogfish Head IPA.

Halfway to photo posts!
Old 05-27-19, 03:36 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10961 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,120 Posts
Welcome!