Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Have you ever poached a trail?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-19, 12:56 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts

I rented a MTB in Winthrop, and took it to check out some of the new trails on Sun Mountain. After a while going up and down got old and it became time for a viewy trail. So I rode Patterson Mtn.

Midway through the ride, the trail crosses a cattle fence. There's a ladder set up to get over the trail. That was my first clue, it's hard to shoulder a bike while you climb a ladder. Next clue was a couple saying in all their years, they've never seen anyone take a bike up here.

I confessed my sin to LBS when I returned the bike. "No harm no foul, but here's a map that shows where you're allowed to ride."
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-21-19, 04:29 AM
tsmorr

Bikes: Rossin SLX; Miyata Team Track; Fat Chance Kicker; Austro-Daimler Inter 10; Geekhouse Mudville

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I did a sorta undergroundish gravel-y race-y thing a decade or so back that hit a bunch of dirt trails around the Boston area... most of which was kosher. I noticed in advance that there was a short bit of the route that went by a drinking water backup reservoir and it specifically said NO BIKES so we dodged that short portion. A little while later we entered another area that I'd run in before but never cycled through, but we came in a weird way that hit some singletrack through the woods before meeting up with the main trail. Turns out that main trail also specifically excludes bicycles... as a surly rich suburban lady told me while trying to block my path.

Did feel a bit bad about the cycling where we weren't supposed to, but that lady was a jerk.

If you don't want people cycling on a path people walk/walk dogs on, probably a good idea to put signs somewhere along the path, not just at the parking area. That said, my bad.
Old 05-21-19, 04:50 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
.. doesn't sound like behavior that's likely to endear cyclists to non-cyclists.
Old 05-21-19, 08:40 AM
tsmorr

Bikes: Rossin SLX; Miyata Team Track; Fat Chance Kicker; Austro-Daimler Inter 10; Geekhouse Mudville

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Admittedly, no, not so much. On the other hand, do people say that about ill-behaved motorists?
Old 05-21-19, 10:33 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by tsmorr
Admittedly, no, not so much. On the other hand, do people say that about ill-behaved motorists?
Pretty much daily here.
Old 05-22-19, 02:10 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
why, whatever do you mean?

here I am exiting the woods thru someone's property. actually i think the road is public but they own either side of it. so technically was OK but I had my doubts as I could see more of the property thru the open gate. the lady carrying stuff to the ppl riding horses to the right smiled at me, so I wasn't scared

skip to 1:31

Last edited by rumrunn6; 05-22-19 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-22-19, 02:48 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by tsmorr
Last weekend near a trailhead on the Greenway- some lady drove her car onto the Greenway and started down it. My wife shouted "it's not for cars!", and told me that the woman tried to start a shouting match over it. Seems like an analogous situation and I'm pretty sure she said a few things about ill-behaved motorists.