Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Shrooms

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-19, 08:18 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Shrooms

https://www.bicycling.com/health-nut...liQ00ifQ%3D%3D

Was surprised to see this article since I drink multiple cups of mushroom coffee daily; Lion's Mane, Chaga extracts. Does it improve my cycling? No, but it tastes good. Perhaps they are talking about a whole other level of consumption.

Now you know.
Old 05-24-19, 09:05 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Shroooms! Microdosing is very hip now. You can buy grow kits online. Won't do anything for your cycling, though.
Old 06-11-19, 11:28 AM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5456 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 238 Posts
I hear the Lion's Mane will regenerate nerve tissue. It is a good one to know. You must ring them out before cooking or else they don't taste all that good. If you do then they are good eatin'.
Old 06-11-19, 12:18 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Shroooms! Microdosing is very hip now. You can buy grow kits online. Won't do anything for your cycling, though.
I dunno, I found prior experience with hallucination helpful when losing my grip on reality toward the end of PBP 2015.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 07-01-19, 11:25 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,023 Posts
In Texas the magic mushrooms grow in cow pies. A local rancher was watching someone who was in his pasture right off the road looking at cow pies. He didn’t call the sheriff because he really wasn’t doing anything bad. I explained to the rancher what was more than likely going on. He thought is was funny but I was surprised he was clueless then again not really
Old 07-02-19, 02:54 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Non-psychoactive mushrooms have been credited with all sorts of claims for advantages. I used to grow them and picked wild mushrooms -- puffballs and some other edible mushrooms are common in Texas in spring and autumn. But I'm skeptical about most claims. There's little scientific evidence for mushrooms being any sort of super food. I just like the flavor in cooking. And large portobello mushrooms make great substitutes for hamburger buns. They're tasty roasted over the grill, and don't get soggy like most buns.

There's a theory that micro-dosing certain consciousness-enhancing substances can help with certain athletic endeavors. Tests have shown some benefit to cannabis, through reducing pain or making it easier to cope with pain.

I wouldn't try that in a group race, but can see some potential benefit to a time trial or any solo marathon effort.

The tricky part is exceeding one's capacity. That was always the risk to amphetamines, which carried far greater risk than benefit, which is why I don't think the accomplishments of cyclists like Jacques Anquetil or Eddy Merckx were diminished by using speed -- that's hardly equivalent doping to the proven performance enhancements of steroids and EPO. For athletes, diminished capacity and death from using speed or cocaine has always been a far greater risk, compared with the benefits.

That's why I'm using a heart monitor now on every ride and indoor training session. I've been using some non-psychoactive CBD that's very effective. But I'm concerned about reducing pain that might be a valid signal to ease up. So my heart monitor keeps me on track. If I keep it under 160, other than some climbs, I'm doing okay.

While I have prescriptions for pain relievers -- hydrocodone and cyclobenzaprine -- they make me too drowsy and sluggish to ride outdoors, let alone get any measurable benefit. A two-week or one-month prescription usually lasts me six months to a year, I use them so seldom.

The most effective prescription pain reliever for athletes has been Tramadol/Ultram, which was permitted in several sanctioned competitions. It doesn't diminish performance for most folks, and it's very mild compared with most opiates and similar pain relievers. But it's gotten an unfairly bad rap in the ill-informed media, mostly due to being abused with multiple substances including alcohol by a handful of people who overdosed.

The main benefit most people attribute to psychoactive mushrooms, peyote and LSD is a positive enhanced consciousness, an ability to break beyond the limitations of our self-absorption and see things in a larger context and to maintain a more balanced perspective on life. That was my experience as a much younger man. And that was good enough. I haven't felt the need to repeat those experiences, since the lessons stayed with me for a lifetime.
Old 07-12-19, 01:41 AM
Spaghetti

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
interesting stuff, thanks.