Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

GAP Trail 3 day tour - questions

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

GAP Trail 3 day tour - questions

Old 05-24-19, 10:45 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by axolotl
Telling touring cyclists to "Be scared" of the GAP Trail is asinine. You are trolling, IMO.
Just look at the elevation chart. https://gaptrail.org/plan-a-visit/mi...evation-charts. Come over the continental divide too fast, you will be airborne until you land in Cumberland! BTW, you are the one who claimed I was trying to scare people by saying the climb is grueling. That’s an opinion, based on my experience. I like a bit of up and down on my rides. All up is grueling. Not scary though.
Likes For alan s:
Old 05-24-19, 10:51 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 1,249 Times in 722 Posts
I rode Pittsburgh->Cumberland and I didn't find the gentle railroad-grade uphill grueling at all. I wouldn't want prospective riders to be scared off by that description.
I ride the GAP often, and no, the "uphill" isn't grueling. It is barely noticeable. We often ride sections out and back, and I cannot notice an appreciable difference either way. The only thing that is noticeable is the uphill out of Cumberland if going East to West.
Likes For phughes:
Old 05-24-19, 11:24 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4388 Post(s)
Liked 4,499 Times in 3,011 Posts
I was thinking about starting in Cumberland toward Pittsburgh just to ride the trail in a different direction. It would seem like a different trail. Since I train in the hill country the climb wouldn’t be too bad. If you get tired just take a break and take in the scenery or just the cool factor of being out on the trail.
Old 05-24-19, 11:48 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
I rode it with three other people two years ago from Pittsburgh to Cumberland. Two of us felt like the uphill was almost imperceptible most of the time. One of us noticed, but didn't seem to mind for the first two days at least. One of us was miserable and spent a fair amount of time at the bike shop in Confluence considering other bicycle options, including electric, and the next time we went riding together, he did have an electric bike.

On a previous trip I met a guy with a fully loaded bike in Meyersdale who had come by way of the C & O, so was going from Cumberland northwest. He had nothing good to say about the trip between Cumberland and the continental divide. Too bad, really, because it has some excellent views and is actually one of the more scenic stretches, I thought, but I guess it's easier to apreciate all of that when you're coasting.
Old 05-24-19, 11:57 AM
axolotl

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by riceowls
Did you ride to Fallingwater? How hard is it to get from GAP? Do you recommend house or ground tours?
My friend & I had already visited Fallingwater before we rode the GAP, so we decided to visit another Frank Lloyd Wright house in the area, Kentuck Knob, instead. Google maps says that to get to Fallingwater from Ohiopyle, it's 3.9 miles and you go up 659 feet and go down 545 feet. That's one-way. So you'd have climbing in both directions. When I visited I was in a car and it was a long time ago, and I don't recall what the road was like. We did bike to Kentuck Knob on our GAP ride. I found it to be far less interesting than Fallingwater, and the climb out of Ohiopyle was extremely steep and nasty but not too long. It's on the west side of the Youghiogheny River, whereas Fallingwater is on the east side of the river.

I did the house tour of Fallingwater. Obviously, you can see some of the grounds walking to and from the house, but I imagine that the grounds tour would be interesting, too, especially from a design standpoint.
Old 05-24-19, 12:31 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Google maps says that to get to Fallingwater from Ohiopyle, it's 3.9 miles and you go up 659 feet and go down 545 feet. That's one-way. So you'd have climbing in both directions.
Route 381 is the road that leads out of Ohiopyle to get to Fallingwater. It's a two lane blacktop with minimal shoulders. I guess it's rideable but, man, I'd think twice three times about it. Motorists will not be expecting to see bicycles on that road. Between the climb, the curves, and lack of shoulder, I'd look for another way to get there, but that's just me. YMMV.
Old 05-24-19, 12:50 PM
riceowls

Bikes: Trek FX 7.2, Diamondback Century 2, Trek T2000 tandem, K2 Enemy cyclocross, Bike Friday tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Altair 4
Route 381 is the road that leads out of Ohiopyle to get to Fallingwater. It's a two lane blacktop with minimal shoulders. I guess it's rideable but, man, I'd think twice three times about it. Motorists will not be expecting to see bicycles on that road. Between the climb, the curves, and lack of shoulder, I'd look for another way to get there, but that's just me. YMMV.
Is there uber/taxi in that part of the world? Hitchhiking? What are the options?
Old 05-24-19, 01:13 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Altair 4

391 can be bad. So bad they are doing a major configuration in town for walkways and such. I found it hard to believe since the section in town does not seem to be all that bad.

I believe there is a shuttle up to the house for those that do not want to make the climb.

Last edited by spinnaker; 05-24-19 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-24-19, 01:14 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Here it is

https://wilderness-voyageurs.com/ohi...bike-shuttles/
Old 05-24-19, 01:17 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by flyjimmy
Does anyone know if I would need reservations for camping during the last week in June?
Pretty much every paid place has a hiker biker policy except maybe the state park at Ohiopyle. But you don't want to camp there anyway. It is a horrible walk up a steep and rocky path. I don't think it is ridable up or down, certainly not with bags.

Free sites are first come first serve. But there is always room for one more tent.
Old 05-25-19, 04:14 PM
archfotos

Bikes: novaras

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First I would not recommend going to Falling Waters around Fourth of July week, Ohiopyle and that whole area is going to be crazy. You'll be waiting to get in the parking lot, waiting for a tour, you'll be dealing with yahoo drivers on tight roads who are unfamiliar yet always in a rush.

Riding up the hill out of Cumberland could be a pain depending upon amount of gear and what shape you're in. That said there is something very cool about riding the trail and making the transition until you are finally at the Point (downtown Pittsburgh) That is a pretty cool ending with some neat bridges you could ride over.

p.s. if you do decide to ride pittsburgh to cumberland and depending upon the logistics you set up I wonder if an extra day on C&O down to Hancock is via then you'd get to see PawPaw tunnel

Last edited by archfotos; 05-25-19 at 04:20 PM. Reason: second thought
Old 05-25-19, 08:14 PM
riceowls

Bikes: Trek FX 7.2, Diamondback Century 2, Trek T2000 tandem, K2 Enemy cyclocross, Bike Friday tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Thanks!!!

Ok, thanks for the input. Current plan us to ride from Pit, over 3 days(50+40+60miles) with a shuttle tour of Fallingwater on the second day. Train to Pittsburgh on the way back. Explore Pittsburgh on the 4th day including bicycle museum. Fly back in the evening. Really excited about this short trip. If any more tips on stoppovers, let me know.
Old 05-26-19, 08:05 AM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
I've done the GAP + C&O a few times (just did it this week). I've gone both ways. I prefer towards Pittsburgh. If you are only doing the GAP and starting fresh in Cumberland, you climb for 1/2 the first day and then you are done. There is not much significant to stop for and visit on the way up the hill unless you want to visit Frostburg and it has its own VERY steep but short climb. On the trail closer to the divide is the mason-dixon line, an overlook with a great view (best wide angle view the trail offers in my opinion), and big savage tunnel. All within a few miles of each other and all right there on the trail itself with no detour required, you can't avoid those sites even if you wanted to.
I will say on average if wind is present, it will most likely be a slight headwind from the divide to Pittsburgh. Either way, I still like that direction better. It is nice going towards Cumberland and having that 20+ mile down hill though. It all evens out.

Someone mentioned Ohioplye being busy. YES. No joke there. The lines for food and things and the people meandering around resembles an amusement park atmosphere. Most businesses and people are right there where the trail passes and it is jammed up, it's nuts. The GAP in that area is also walkers prime trail for getting over the river too. Unless you want to stop there and go down close to the river and rapids for a close-up, I'd simply carefully just pass though there. Sucks because there is a nice waterfall on a footpath you can go under and walk right through about a 1/2 mile down the road but just too crowded on holidays. Nothing else there that you would see you haven't seen during your GAP ride in other places. I'd restock or eat before or after Ohioplye. I'd suggest Confluence which has a grocery store, resturants, and a Dollar General less than 1/2 mile from the trail and without any significant elevation change.

Last edited by u235; 05-26-19 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-26-19, 08:48 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Busy in Ohioplye depends on the weekend. I have seen weekends where it was almost like a ghost town and others where it has been crammed packed. Certainly July 4 weekend should be one of those packed weekends.

I have been to Ohioplye countless times. The first I have heard about that footpath. Amazing what you can learn here.

The Sisters Cafe in Confluence is very good. If you are leaving from Connelsville, Ohioplye might be a bit early for lunch anyway. The bike shop in town is well worth a visit.
Old 05-26-19, 09:08 AM
u235

Originally Posted by spinnaker
Busy in Ohioplye depends on the weekend. I have seen weekends where it was almost like a ghost town and others where it has been crammed packed. Certainly July 4 weekend should be one of those packed weekends.

I have been to Ohioplye countless times. The first I have heard about that footpath. Amazing what you can learn here.

The Sisters Cafe in Confluence is very good. If you are leaving from Connelsville, Ohioplye might be a bit early for lunch anyway. The bike shop in town is well worth a visit.
Just last weekend it was PACKED (5/19). I went with a friend to drop of his car there. He was riding along with me on day 1 of my trip as far as Ohiopyle and driving back home from there. We had to deal with traffic in the main part of town and then drive around for a while and wait for a spot to open up in the gravel lot. Funny thing on Monday when we arrived on our bikes, his truck was lonely out in the middle of the parking lot. So yes, it greatly depends on the weekend/holiday or not.

I haven't personally been on Meadow Run trail in a years but right by the trailhead where it passes under 381 is the waterfall. There used to be a trail on the north side that lead right to the base of the water fall. In the same place is a natural slick "smooth" rock water slide there too, I haven't done it since I was a kid and I doubt my body would find it as fun as I once did

This is the falls from way back in the day with my kids on a lower water day, I'm sure it changes drastically with conditions..

Last edited by u235; 05-26-19 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-26-19, 09:30 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by spinnaker

Sisters Cafe in Confluence is closed. Might try the place on the other side of the river. Forget what it’s called, but they have good ice cream. Not sure about the food.
Old 05-26-19, 09:47 AM
u235

The gas station in the center of town has a decent small restaurant, Mitch's? Had breakfast there. Ate dinner at Lucky Dog right at the trail.
Old 05-26-19, 10:20 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

I will definitely be at Ohiopyle on a weekday. Last time I passed through it wasn’t crowded but that wasn’t on a weekend or holiday. I will probably start the GAP in Cumberland heading towards Pittsburgh. Then ride the Montour starting in Coraopolis.
Old 05-26-19, 10:31 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by alan s
Sisters Cafe in Confluence is closed. Might try the place on the other side of the river. Forget what it’s called, but they have good ice cream. Not sure about the food.
Oh no. That is too bad. There is the bar along the river, same side as town that is pretty good as far as food. . Service stunk when I was here.

There is also a place on Oden St. hat serves pizza and what not. Don't recall if I have eaten there.

A shame Confluence is not doing better. It really is a wonderful little town.

Sisters was a hangout for traveling axe murders. I wonder where they will go now.

Old 05-26-19, 10:33 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Originally Posted by u235
The gas station in the center of town has a decent small restaurant, Mitch's? Had breakfast there.

In Confluence? Last time I was there, all they had was those per-prepared sandwiches.

I can't remember where I ate breakfast in Confluence. I often do a weekend trip and stay there over night. I park at my old boss's place which is right along the trail in Connelsville and ride to Confluence, over night at the state park.

Last edited by spinnaker; 05-26-19 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-26-19, 10:10 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

I reserved a campsite at Ohiopyle SP Thurs-Sun June 13-16 and will be riding to GAP from there both ways. I cruised through a few years ago a week before July 4 and didn’t find it crowded. Now I hear of congestion. I guess I can deal with it I’ve dealt with Houston rush hour many times Once my camp is setup I won’t have to venture far because I will be fully stocked and won’t have a need for eateries. Anyways I’m going to be there crowded or not. The Pittsburgh Gazette said they got some construction done in time for the Memorial Day weekend. My bike won’t be loaded down too much just a half frame bag. Got in a 3 hour traffic jam in Cincinnati due to bridge construction on my last trip to PA talk about watching other motorists lose it I just cranked up Ozzys Boneyard on XM radio a chilled. What else can you do? If the climb from the trail head is too steep I will just walk to bike up. On the C&O a few years ago a tunnel was close so you went hiking for a few miles. I’m going to ride the GAP but will also taking time to chill jump in the river and relax some. We went to Ohiopyle all the time when we lived in Pittsburgh but it was 1973 . Whatever the situation will be I’m going to have a blast.
Old 05-26-19, 10:19 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

I was just looking at the campground map and it appears to have a bike trail connecting to the GAP. The GAP trail appears very close so hopefully that is a short connector. If so cool.
Old 05-26-19, 11:19 PM
Rob_E

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
I was just looking at the campground map and it appears to have a bike trail connecting to the GAP. The GAP trail appears very close so hopefully that is a short connector. If so cool.
Not a bike trail. Just a trail. I think there’s a sign saying to walk your bike, but sign or no, I predict you will walk your bike. It is short on the map, but steep and unpleasant and it does not feel short at the end of the day.
Old 05-26-19, 11:31 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Originally Posted by Rob_E
Not a bike trail. Just a trail. I think there’s a sign saying to walk your bike, but sign or no, I predict you will walk your bike. It is short on the map, but steep and unpleasant and it does not feel short at the end of the day.
Hopefully I’ll be so full if adrenaline it won’t hurt too bad but if I do I will call the sag car. I understand they don’t allow alcohol in PA state parks but if you keep it out of sight and in a cup or mug and you behave do they care? In Texas state parks it’s No Public Display Of Alcohol you can have it but keeping in a cup or in you’re shelter. That way you can’t have a rowdy party or a kegger. I’ve seen some get cited but they were being very open and obnoxious.
Old 05-26-19, 11:53 PM
Rob_E

Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
Hopefully I’ll be so full if adrenaline it won’t hurt too bad but if I do I will call the sag car. I understand they don’t allow alcohol in PA state parks but if you keep it out of sight and in a cup or mug and you behave do they care? In Texas state parks it’s No Public Display Of Alcohol you can have it but keeping in a cup or in you’re shelter. That way you can’t have a rowdy party or a kegger. I’ve seen some get cited but they were being very open and obnoxious.
No idea what they care about. In other state parks I’ve stayed at (not PA) I’ve always felt that if you didn’t give them a reason to ask, they wouldn’t. At that park I only ever saw a park employee at check in. There was no one around to question what was in my coffee cup.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.