Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New Cable Stretch

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

New Cable Stretch

Old 05-24-19, 12:41 AM
CaptMike

Bikes: Waterford Sport Tourer, Merlin Extralight, Fuji Suncrest, Why Cycles Big Iron, Seven Monster X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
New Cable Stretch

Noob cable install question. I am changing both brake and shifter cables and housings on my older MTB. I have the Park 4th hand tool, and have seen how it works. My question is, how much do you stretch the new cable? Finger stretch it, then do a hand full of the cable tool, for the brake cables? I have the barrel adjusters all the way in, then a partial turn out. Any rule of thumb? And is it the same for the derailleur cable? Or just finger stretch that one, lock it in, then see what you have. Thank you.
Old 05-24-19, 02:09 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptMike
Noob cable install question. I am changing both brake and shifter cables and housings on my older MTB. I have the Park 4th hand tool, and have seen how it works. My question is, how much do you stretch the new cable? Finger stretch it, then do a hand full of the cable tool, for the brake cables? I have the barrel adjusters all the way in, then a partial turn out. Any rule of thumb? And is it the same for the derailleur cable? Or just finger stretch that one, lock it in, then see what you have. Thank you.
For brakes, All adjusters to their minimum, I get it taught by hand, making sure all the housing ferrules are properly seated.

For derailleurs, control adjusters all the way in, rear derailleur adjust one turn out, make sure both chains are on the smallest cog and control to minimum number, stretch by hand.

Once set and checked out, trim excess from cables and crimp on a cable end.

I only use the 4th hand tool when I am adjusting a (already installed) short cable or when my fat fingers aren't working right.

I sometimes use a trigger clamp to hold brake pads in towards rim like this
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-6...196D/205418759

Last edited by JoeTBM; 05-24-19 at 02:21 AM.
Old 05-24-19, 08:24 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the housing and the ferrules on its ends settling in is a bigger factor in what is called 'cable stretch'..
Old 05-24-19, 09:40 AM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
I've found that pulling a rear shifter cable too taught doesn't allow the RD's spring to pull chain down to higher gears. After tightening the cable nut with the RD in its high gear position, I give the cable a sideways pull with my hand to get out any slack (if it's not all routed through the downtube like on newer bikes). I then loosen the nut and gently pull the cable end with pliers or just my hand to set it "just" taught then tighten the nut. Anything after that can be taken up with the adjusters. The goal is loose enough to allow RD to pull chain down to higher gears, taught enough for crisp shifts upwards to lower gears.
Old 05-26-19, 09:20 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
What kind of brakes?

For derailleurs I just pull the cable snug with my fingers or a needle nose plier. Honestly, I suspect it's more important to get the cable housings snugly seated in the frame stops than to worry about cable stretch.

For brakes it depends a lot on what kind of brakes you have. Calipers and V-style brakes I just use my fingers. Newer style canty's too. Older style canty's can be interesting.
The most challenging are freestyle BMX bikes with under the chain stay brakes. Those sometimes require my 3rd hand tool, my 4th hand tool, and the use of words that are not permitted to be uttered on US Navy ships.

My 4th hand I mostly just use for pulling cable ties.
Old 05-26-19, 01:29 PM
CaptMike

Bikes: Waterford Sport Tourer, Merlin Extralight, Fuji Suncrest, Why Cycles Big Iron, Seven Monster X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Thank you guys for the replies. The bike I am working on now is my old Fuji Suncrest MTB. It has cantilever brakes with straddle cable. I just got back into town for a day, and am going to take a look at them. When I took them apart, I lost the clamp screw on the NDS brake, to tighten the straddle cable. So I have to see what I have to rig up to replace that. It doesn't look like there is much use for the 4th hand tool. I may try Joe's clamp idea. I appreciate the replies.