Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

SRAM S7 - how to block it in direct drive

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

SRAM S7 - how to block it in direct drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-19, 04:15 AM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by kdgm
K6-III, so actually pull out the middle pin? Is it easy to lock the outer pin. My clickbox, cable and handle is broken, so I want to lock in one of the middle gears (3 or 4). Tired of 1st.
I have entirely given up on that hub, in the last decade but I imagine that all one would need to do is set the depth at which the central pin has to enter into the hub. How to fix the pin onto position, though, I don't know, save for having a workshop with perhaps a welding machine.
Old 05-24-19, 05:13 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by wroomwroomoops
I have entirely given up on that hub, in the last decade but I imagine that all one would need to do is set the depth at which the central pin has to enter into the hub. How to fix the pin onto position, though, I don't know, save for having a workshop with perhaps a welding machine.
It's actually only the outer sleeve that would have to be locked into position for direct gear. The inner rod actuates the sliding key that selects between the 3 sun gears, and in direct, it makes no difference which of the sun gears is engaged.
The trick is to fix the clutch in the middle position where the ring gear pawls are engaged with the hub shell, but the clutch is not coupled to the planet carrier.
The clutch is actuated by the outer sleeve.

Last edited by Dan Burkhart; 05-24-19 at 05:16 AM.