Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

TDF 2010 stage 19 - Bordeaux - Pauillac 52 km, Sat. Jul 24 (ITT)

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

TDF 2010 stage 19 - Bordeaux - Pauillac 52 km, Sat. Jul 24 (ITT)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-10, 09:26 AM
Quel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by OrionKhan
Without Andy benefiting from stage 2 being neutralized his behind. Without Andy taking advantage of the crash in stage 3, he's still behind. You can't pick and chose which stages to eliminate.
Of course I can. Speculation is awesome. I'd say Andy took advantage of the fact that he has the best cobbles rider on the planet on his team in Stage 3, not a crash. Though stage 2 neutralization did benefit him (and 90% of the peleton). Anyways, speculation doesn't change the result, but they were just so evenly matched that it's a shame to see things like those stages make the difference.

On another note, what would have happened if they went into Paris tied? That's not a stage you can gain any time on. Do the race organizers have a tie breaker, or did they just figure it will never happen?
Old 07-24-10, 09:27 AM
raptor3x

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Without Andy benefiting from stage 2 being neutralized his behind. Without Andy taking advantage of the crash in stage 3, he's still behind. You can't pick and chose which stages to eliminate.
This assumes that Cancellara, Voigt, O'Grady, et. al wouldn't have been able to bring Schleck back up to the front.
Old 07-24-10, 09:27 AM
Ganesha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Quel
Without chaingate they are tied. Andy was up by 31 seconds before that, and lost by 31 seconds today. Wow. Wonder what would even happen if they were tied going into Paris?
They would have added the milliseconds timing of the two time trials. I don't see any easy way of finding this so we are left to speculate on what the outcome could have been.
Old 07-24-10, 09:28 AM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Curious how Schleck will perform next year. There will probably be two ITTs again.
Old 07-24-10, 09:29 AM
OrionKhan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWNC
Well in my mind there is a difference in getting caught behind a crash in the peleton and taking advantage of a situation mano a mano.
Outside of the stages where each rider dropped the other to gain about 10 secs in the mountains, when did Andy gain any time on Contador? Stage 3 when Contador and the rest of the field (including the yellow jersey) got caught behind the crash. Cancellara with Andy in tow dropped the hammer. Andy gained over a minute from that. This the day after the entire stage was neutralized by Cancellara after Andy crashed and was a couple of minutes behind. Andy never put time into Contador of his own doing.
Contador gained 39 secs from the dropped chain that Andy caused on himself during an attack on Contador.
Contador put over a minute on Schleck just from the prologue and ITT. That's the difference in the race.

I really don't understand what some people's problem is with it. Other than they just don't like AC and want an excuse to denigrate his win.
Old 07-24-10, 09:31 AM
rogwilco
snob

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On another note, what would have happened if they went into Paris tied? That's not a stage you can gain any time on. Do the race organizers have a tie breaker, or did they just figure it will never happen?
I think I heard once that the points classification is the tie-breaker, which would be Schleck I guess.
Old 07-24-10, 09:32 AM
OrionKhan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by raptor3x
This assumes that Cancellara, Voigt, O'Grady, et. al wouldn't have been able to bring Schleck back up to the front.
That's a pretty wild speculation. And besides you remember incorrectly. Cancellara was way up front. He was the one who shut it down. Cancellara would have had to stop wait for Andy and then drill it. That's with a hurting Andy in tow. They wouldn't have caught AC, with Vino hammering away, and all of the other contenders if they had dropped the hammer. Why else to think Fabian shut the stage down?
Old 07-24-10, 09:34 AM
OrionKhan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rogwilco
I think I heard once that the points classification is the tie-breaker, which would be Schleck I guess.
For some reason I was thinking it was stage wins. But if that was the case AC would have been kicking himself for not really challenging to win a couple of those. So now I'm thinking that it must be something different. Maybe stage wins was for deciding the tied points competition.
Old 07-24-10, 09:38 AM
under18cyclists
JR^2

Bikes: 2004 giant ocr1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It evened out in the end. Andy never out rode Contador on the road. They both gained and lost about 10 seconds to each other on mountain stages. Outside of that, Andy only gained time from events out of Contador's control. Contador gained his time in the prologue and the ITT. The best rider won.
You are forgetting Schleck wasn't the only one that crashed. Contador fell too and benefited from the neutralization. If Contador stayed at the front of the field with Andy he would've been fine, his fault. When Schleck dropped his chain he also had a nice gap and probably would of gained a couple of seconds. He would of been in yellow during the ITT and he would be chasing Contador which is another advantage.
Old 07-24-10, 09:40 AM
under18cyclists
JR^2

Bikes: 2004 giant ocr1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a pretty wild speculation. And besides you remember incorrectly. Cancellara was way up front. He was the one who shut it down. Cancellara would have had to stop wait for Andy and then drill it. That's with a hurting Andy in tow. They wouldn't have caught AC, with Vino hammering away, and all of the other contenders if they had dropped the hammer. Why else to think Fabian shut the stage down?
They would have to be really low to hammer it after he crashed.
Old 07-24-10, 09:40 AM
rogwilco
snob

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Because I was curious, I looked it up, here's what the official reglement says, Ganesha was right https://www.letour.fr/2010/TDF/COURSE/docs/reglement.pdf

General individual time ranking

The general individual time ranking is established by adding together the times achieved by each rider in the prologue and the 20 stages, including time penalties.
In the event of a tie in the general ranking, the hundredth of a second recorded by the timekeepers during the individual time trial stages will be included in the total times in order to decide the overall winner and who takes the Yellow Jersey. If a tie should still result from this, then the places achieved for each stage are added up and, as a last resort, the place obtained in the final stage is counted.
Old 07-24-10, 09:45 AM
Quel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rogwilco
Because I was curious, I looked it up, here's what the official reglement says, Ganesha was right https://www.letour.fr/2010/TDF/COURSE/docs/reglement.pdf
Thanks. I'm impressed they have that many tie breakers for a 3 week stage race.
Old 07-24-10, 09:51 AM
raptor3x

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm aware that Cancellara was at the front but don't forget that something similar happened to Schleck last year when he crashed and was in danger of losing a ton of time near the end of one of the flat stages and Saxo Bank was able to pull him back on before the end, even with the sprinter's teams gunning it all the way to the end.
Old 07-24-10, 10:03 AM
reef58

Bikes: Serotta Nove

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Orion I don't disagree with you, but no matter what happened if Contador hadn't attacked the Yellow during a mechanical he likely would have lost this tour. AS won two stages AC none, although it looked to me like AC could have taken 17. Not saying it is right, but that is how this will be remembered. My opinion AS lost this tour in the Prolouge.

Richard

Outside of the stages where each rider dropped the other to gain about 10 secs in the mountains, when did Andy gain any time on Contador? Stage 3 when Contador and the rest of the field (including the yellow jersey) got caught behind the crash. Cancellara with Andy in tow dropped the hammer. Andy gained over a minute from that. This the day after the entire stage was neutralized by Cancellara after Andy crashed and was a couple of minutes behind. Andy never put time into Contador of his own doing.
Contador gained 39 secs from the dropped chain that Andy caused on himself during an attack on Contador.
Contador put over a minute on Schleck just from the prologue and ITT. That's the difference in the race.

I really don't understand what some people's problem is with it. Other than they just don't like AC and want an excuse to denigrate his win.
Old 07-24-10, 10:13 AM
The Weak Link
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Schleck = Poulidor?
Old 07-24-10, 10:19 AM
SunSwingsLow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had Contador know AS would TT that well he would have attacked way more during the stages. AC felt comfortable based on AS prologue and TT history.

He wont make that mistake next year.
Old 07-24-10, 10:19 AM
Laggard
Lance Hater

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone notice Armstrong was beaten today by Peta?
Old 07-24-10, 10:28 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
...On another note, what would have happened if they went into Paris tied? That's not a stage you can gain any time on. Do the race organizers have a tie breaker, or did they just figure it will never happen?
The ITTs are timed to 100ths of a second. The differences in time there would break the tie.
Old 07-24-10, 10:44 AM
Devil
Since Ever Since

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
Schleck = Poulidor?
Really? The kid's 25. This is a weak troll.
Old 07-24-10, 10:51 AM
raptor3x

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it just me or is Ryder Hesjedal one freaky looking guy?

Old 07-24-10, 11:09 AM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, I think Schleck put out just as much power if not more power then did Contador over the course of the time trial, but the difference is that Contador is able to ride in a more aerodynamic 'tuck', and over a long distance this adds up into a more efficient power delivery system and with that he was able to shave seconds off his time and come out on top. It's a small difference, but everything counts at this level. Congratulations to Contador, he performed extremely well and earned his 3rd Tour de France victory.
Old 07-24-10, 11:42 AM
Quel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by raptor3x
Is it just me or is Ryder Hesjedal one freaky looking guy?

[IMGhttps://imgur.com/gI1Nb.png[/IMG]
Looks like he's using that skinsuit I've seen Zabriskie use. That's extra material under his armpits, not a freakish body shape. Though those are still some skinny legs.
Old 07-24-10, 11:57 AM
OrionKhan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reef58
Orion I don't disagree with you, but no matter what happened if Contador hadn't attacked the Yellow during a mechanical he likely would have lost this tour. AS won two stages AC none, although it looked to me like AC could have taken 17. Not saying it is right, but that is how this will be remembered. My opinion AS lost this tour in the Prolouge.

Richard
I agree. The point of my posts was directed at the dropped chain comments costing Andy. The Tour is 21 stages. There are places that benefited both Andy and Contador. Both has ill luck that cost them time. They were evenly matched in the mountains. Its easy to say, "well if so and so didn't happen he would have won". When is comes down to it, it was the prologue and time trial that made the difference. Each rider going against the clock. Neither of them had any bad luck or incidents. Contador out road Schleck.

And in retrospect we pretty much figured that would be the case. Andy has pretty much equaled Contador in the mountains. And he's improved his tt, but not quite enough. Next year is going to be real interesting.
Old 07-24-10, 11:58 AM
Layback

Bikes: '05 LeMond Nevada City

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well in my mind there is a difference in getting caught behind a crash in the peleton and taking advantage of a situation mano a mano.
Agreed. Contador's tactics were cowardly. There will always be an asterisk next to him name in many people's hearts. Now he must live with that.
Old 07-24-10, 12:16 PM
OrionKhan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Layback
Agreed. Contador's tactics were cowardly. There will always be an asterisk next to him name in many people's hearts. Now he must live with that.
What is the difference?
1. Stage 3: A crash that causes the peloton, including the yellow jersey and Contador, to stop. Cancellara, with Andy in tow, drill it and gain a minute on Contador, who was stopped through no fault of his own.

2. Stage 15: Andy Schleck attacks Contador, Sanchez, and Menchov in the mountains. Contador and the other react to cover the attack. Andy drops his chain, through what appears to be rider error. Note that Andy was still on the bike pedaling when they went by, but was definitely slowed trying to figure out what was going on. Contador and the others attack.

If you remove those two stages, at no point has Andy Schleck out ridden Alberto Contador. In stage 3, Andy made a larger time gain than Contador did in 15. So it boils down to the prologue and ITT. Contador out road Schleck in both. How are Contador's tactics cowardly any more cowardly that Schleck's? If you don't like Contador, just say it and try to have a quantifiable reason for doing so. Don't pick event out of a 21 stage race, and ignore others, to support you feelings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.