Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Conti Gatorskin or 4000S

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Conti Gatorskin or 4000S

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-11, 03:46 PM
damnable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Conti Gatorskin or 4000S

To start out, I don't race, I just like riding around on hard surfaces. I also got my first flat on the road yesterday as a result of a rather large thorn going through my stock tire (Ultra Sport). At least my first on-the-road tube change was successful.

So now I'm looking at replacement tires that are a bit more durable.

I see the 4000S recommended a LOT, but as far as I can tell while it quite flat-resistant it's more of a racing tire. Where the gatorskin is advertised more specifically as a training tire. But it looks like they have different puncture protection features.

Can anyone comment on the comparison between these two to help me choose. The other I've heard of is the Maxxis Refuse which looks a bit cheaper and may be another option.
Old 10-12-11, 03:51 PM
LOGICK ONE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've put equal amount of miles on a gatorskins and 4000S, both hold up for a long time, both eventual flat, but when it comes to the ride, I prefer the rolling feel of the 4000s.
Old 10-12-11, 04:20 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
The tires are totally different. The GS is tougher but it is heavy, has lousy traction, and delivers a miserable ride. The 4000s is less durable, but ride, traction, and speed are better.

If there is a lot of sharp debris on your roads, consider the GS. Otherwise 4000s is a better way to go. Avoiding an extra occasional flat is not worth a crappy ride and bad traction.
Old 10-12-11, 04:25 PM
johnny99

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
The tires are totally different. The GS is tougher but it is heavy, has lousy traction, and delivers a miserable ride. The 4000s is less durable, but ride, traction, and speed are better.

If there is a lot of sharp debris on your roads, consider the GS. Otherwise 4000s is a better way to go. Avoiding an extra occasional flat is not worth a crappy ride and bad traction.
Gatorskin is not heavy if you get the folding version.
Old 10-12-11, 04:30 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
I don't think I could have said it better myself.
Old 10-12-11, 04:36 PM
jstar1000
numbtoes

Bikes: 1992 Miyata 914 and Triplecross, 1984 Miyata Street runner, 1988 Miyata 710, 1987 Bridgestone 700, 1992 Specialized Cross Roads, 1992 Specialized Hardrock

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I have GP4000 tires and assuming that's what your asking about not sure about the S but the GP4000 tires are light, puncture risistant and blow the wheels off of ultra lights which after coming off a pair of those to the GP4000s then riding another bike with the ultras I took them off and gave them away (the ultra sports that is) I love the 4000's the feel. the grip, the ride everything. They are what a tire should be!
Old 10-12-11, 04:38 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
GP4000 come in several colors, like red, drab olive brown, black, etc. GP4000S are almost the same tire, but only come in S. They put something in the black tires (both) but not in the other colors, which apparently makes them grip a little better.
Old 10-12-11, 04:44 PM
KevinSCo

Bikes: Caad 9

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had gatorskins on my bike for about 1,200 miles and got them to avoid what seemed like daily flats. The rear is just starting to square off; I waited too long before rotating. Don't have much rain where I am, so conditions are mostly dry. Many of those miles are on rough roads with lots of debris. Haven't had a single flat. I've never tried the 4000S, so I don't know what I'm missing.
Old 10-12-11, 05:08 PM
haaseg

Bikes: 2010 FUJI SL-1 Comp

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the 4000s and I run the tuffy liners. I know banerjek said this is a ridiculous idea... but, since I've been doing it I haven't had any flats. I still at least get the grip from the 4000s and the ride is still very smooth to me. I don't care much about the few extra grams the liners weigh.

I came home one day and saw a nail sticking out of the sidewall of my tire. It had hit the liner and deflected out and not punctured the tube. Must have happened in the middle of my ride because the head of the nail was worn clean off.
Old 10-12-11, 05:26 PM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by KevinSCo
I've had gatorskins on my bike for about 1,200 miles and got them to avoid what seemed like daily flats. The rear is just starting to square off; I waited too long before rotating. Don't have much rain where I am, so conditions are mostly dry. Many of those miles are on rough roads with lots of debris. Haven't had a single flat. I've never tried the 4000S, so I don't know what I'm missing.
What do you mean by rotating the tire?
Old 10-12-11, 05:32 PM
mynameistaken

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just got some gatorskins and like them so far. I don't have traction problems or feel the ride quality is any worse than the vittoria's I had previously. Can't comment on durability as of yet. They feel very secure when cornering at high speed.
Old 10-12-11, 05:45 PM
Yaniel
SLO-1

Bikes: '09 BMC Road Racer SL01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had 2 sets of gatorskins and probably had about 15 flats on them. Eventually swapped out to gp4000s, 3 sets later i've had maybe 3 flats in total, much better ride, better traction, better everything.
Old 10-12-11, 06:03 PM
simonaway427

Bikes: 2010 S1, 2011 F75X

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've been on the same pair of Gatorskins for about 4500kms. I have never experienced a flat with them. I've never ridden on another road tire so I don't have much to compare it to.
Old 10-12-11, 06:51 PM
grwoolf

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've put quite a few miles on both and agree that the 4000 is a nicer ride, but I noticed more flats and significant cuts vs. the Gators. For my every day wheels, I've been running a 4000 in the front and a gator in the rear for extra flat protection (particularly in the rain). I run them in a 25mm size and the rear gatorskin feels fine. I don't ever get flats or big cuts on the front, so I plan to keep running the mixed set. The only downside is you can't rotate the front to rear. I've probably got over 5000 miles on my front and the wear indicators still look OK, but it's got a lot of micro cracks and some cuts, so it's probably time to replace.

on my other set of wheels, I run 4000's in 23mm size. The ride is rougher that the 4000/Gator combo. At the end of the day, I think the tire size and pressure make more of a difference than the tire selection. If you want a nice ride, try a wider tire. I promise it won't slow you down noticably. I race on my 25's all the time, I'm not good enough for a tire to make a difference.
Old 10-12-11, 06:55 PM
UC223

Bikes: Cervelo S1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use GS for a winter training tire here in NY mainly because i really don't want to change a flat in 20 degrees. Other than that, they ride like rocks and corner much the same. The rest of the year i train and race on GP4000s' they ride much better and have reasonable durability. properly inflated and checked for glass they do really well resisting flats. it is worth noting that these are not as soft as light race tires which tend to be glass magnets.
Old 10-12-11, 06:58 PM
UC223

Bikes: Cervelo S1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since tire width was mentioned. @ 190lbs i find a 23 front, 25 rear work well.
Old 10-12-11, 09:12 PM
dleccord

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just go with the Michelin Pro 3s.
Old 10-12-11, 09:30 PM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
4000s. I am biast because I had bad luck with the GS. this doesn't mean the GS is a bad tire though as many people like them. I can tell you that after 3 sidewall blowouts within 2 months, I will never buy a set again.
Old 10-12-11, 10:00 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by haaseg
I have the 4000s and I run the tuffy liners. I know banerjek said this is a ridiculous idea...
Ah, not a ridiculous idea for the kind of guy who might wear suspenders and a belt.

Our Continental rep (actually Highway 7) told us that the Vectran belt in the GP4000 is superior to what's in the Gatorskin, but the Gatorskin's sidewalls are more durable. To which I can personally attest--I once banged a GP4000 against a low curb and the sidewall blew out completely shortly afterward. But I do like the puncture resistance and ride of the GP4000.
Old 10-12-11, 11:12 PM
haaseg

Bikes: 2010 FUJI SL-1 Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
Ah, not a ridiculous idea for the kind of guy who might wear suspenders and a belt.
See, you say this as if the Vectran belt is the only reason to go with the 4000S. And yet I have pulled at least 4 objects (a nail, a staple, a piece of glass, and a piece of flint) out of my rear 4000S that went all the way through the tread and were stopped by the liner before it punctured the tube. There are other reason to ride the 4000s - the superior ride quality.

So - perhaps the belt is a utility belt with a whole set of tools strapped on - and then maybe the suspenders make sense afterall?
Old 10-13-11, 01:56 AM
WHOOOSSHHH...

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have not had a flat or worn out my 4000s tires ever since I put them on 5000 miles ago. That is a unreal for me! Of course now that I've posted this.....
Old 10-13-11, 05:20 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
Our Continental rep (actually Highway 7) told us that the Vectran belt in the GP4000 is superior to what's in the Gatorskin, but the Gatorskin's sidewalls are more durable. To which I can personally attest--I once banged a GP4000 against a low curb and the sidewall blew out completely shortly afterward. But I do like the puncture resistance and ride of the GP4000.
The GS definitely has superior sidecut resistance. But that contributes directly to the poor ride quality.

I can totally buy that the Vectran belt is a superior technology as it delivers a good ride and durability that's significantly better than other race tires I've tried. But does the rep say it delivers all out better flat resistance than the GS which seems to have a heavier material and more of it?

My anecdotal experience is that the GS will have fewer flats overall than the 4000s, particularly in the wet. However, for roads that are even vaguely normal, the 4000s is a much more fun tire to ride.
Old 10-13-11, 05:34 AM
con
Older I get, faster I was

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Gatorskin is a good tire I put a lot of miles on a number of them. The ride is a bit harsh but I got very few flats. That being said I like the 4000s much more for my tire on my light road bike. It feels like it rolls better, is less harsh and flat protection is pretty good.
Old 10-13-11, 05:41 AM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
i love a smooth sweet handling race tire. i'll pick suppleness over durability every day.
Old 10-13-11, 05:48 AM
Matt Gaunt

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd go GP4000S in your shoes any day. It doesn't sound like you ride on terrible roads so the less protected sidewall issue shouldn't affect you. I really like the feel of them and won't be using anything else for a while (3 years on them exclusively so far).

The 41 loves this tyre for lots of reasons but once you ride them, you will see why for yourself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.