Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek Domane SL - Gen 3 vs Gen 4

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-23, 12:09 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts

Folks, anyone compared the Gen 3 vs Gen 4 Trek Domane bikes, and have any feedback about the difference between the two?

I am looking to to start logging some miles again: haven’t ridden much for the last 15 months, recovering from a shattered kneecap due to a crash, have gained a lot of weight and my freaking FTP is down to under 200W at this stage, so the next few months are all about re-building the base and endurance. With the rains coming up in this part of the world, I dont want to take my R5 out and then go to the trouble of cleaning it regularly - and the idea of building up a comfortable bike for crunching a lot of slow, steady miles has a lot of appeal. I have narrowed it down to the Domane because I have heard good things about the ISOSpeed and have wanted to try it out for a while.

I dont particularly care about the difference in weight between the two bikes. Ride quality is important, as are any reliability/squeak/other issues with the ISOSpeed of the Gen3 bike.

I am getting a 6-month old SL frameset for a pretty decent price and have all the parts to build it up with 10 speed Ultegra Di2. I could fork over the extra for the Gen4 if it is was a noticeable upgrade, but if not, I’ll just save the money and put it toward EPO cake.

TIA!
Old 05-03-23, 01:48 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9653 Post(s)
Liked 6,365 Times in 3,505 Posts
I have a Gen 3 SL5 with lots of mods (12-speed Di2, ceramic BB, carbon bits, etc.), and have ridden a Gen 4 SL6. There was nothing about the newer model that has me yearning for a change other than the stem and better hidden cables/hoses. But, the ride difference was not discernable to me.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 05-03-23, 07:10 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
I've had both a 2021 Gen 3 SLR 7 and currently have a Gen 4 SLR 7 AXS model that I just sort of fell into, I was not specifically looking to buy. Both are very nice riding bikes, but I feel the Gen 4 bike just feels better on the road. The front IsoSpeed on the Gen 3 is nice, but I found it deadened the ride a little if you like to feel a little bit of the road. The rear IsoSpeed on the Gen 3 SLR I had was adjustable, but once I set it, I never touched it, so it was not a huge deal. The Gen 4 removed the front and the rear is non-adjustable and I just like how feel of the ride is on it better. Both have great tire clearance and I really do like the internal storage capability so I do not have to have a saddle bag.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 05-03-23, 07:38 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
I'm in the market now, and looking at those two bikes. Gen 4 reduced some of the dampening, for the benefit of weight savings.

My purpose is randonneuring, so rides 200km and up; for me the presumably smoother ride of the Gen 3 is more appealing. I'm not going to be able to discern any difference in a 30-60 minute test ride, so I'm leaning to Gen 3 based on believing that it actually is a smoother ride.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 05-03-23, 09:14 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Originally Posted by downtube42
I'm in the market now, and looking at those two bikes. Gen 4 reduced some of the dampening, for the benefit of weight savings.

My purpose is randonneuring, so rides 200km and up; for me the presumably smoother ride of the Gen 3 is more appealing. I'm not going to be able to discern any difference in a 30-60 minute test ride, so I'm leaning to Gen 3 based on believing that it actually is a smoother ride.
Both bikes have a very smooth ride, even on less than ideal road surface, the Gen 4 has a very smooth feel to it. I found that adjusting the tire pressure gave me better control over how much road I want to feel when the road surface turns ugly. My longest ride on the Gen 4 is about 105 miles and I did not feel beat up in any way when I got done. I have 30mm tires, so I have a pretty velvety ride anyway, but at the end of the day, I don't really think you can go wrong with either.

Old 05-03-23, 11:01 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Super - thanks, guys.

I am getting the used Gen3 for a fairly significant discount, so i think i may go that route after all. This is a training/solo riding bike, so i dont care too much about hidden hoses and all that stuff.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 05-07-23, 07:00 AM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
post a picture when you get it
Old 05-09-23, 11:12 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

I pulled the trigger on a Gen 3 myself yesterday. It was pouring rain when I took delivery, so no ride

Looking forward to a ride tonight.

I'm riding a 600k brevet this weekend. It would be crazy to do that on a new bike without having time to set things up properly. Lighting system, getting fit dialed, working out any bugs with a newly built bike. Right?
Likes For downtube42:
Old 05-09-23, 12:22 PM
jaxgtr

Yes it would.... Have fun on it...

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 05-10-23, 09:34 PM
downtube42

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Yes it would.... Have fun on it...
I'm waffling.

First shake-down ride last night, about 18 miles. Super comfortable and I set 4 PRs. Granted, I was trying, but I'm not in mid-summer shape.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 05-11-23, 03:52 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
I got a used gen 3 and the ride is smooth and super stable. What a descender!