Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Another cyclist killed by repeat DUIer

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-06, 01:18 PM
Ganesha

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://www.azstarnet.com/sn/related/158782.php

A Tucson woman who pleaded guilty to driving under the influence of alcohol earlier this year is now facing a second-degree murder charge in the death of a bicyclist Friday night.
Old 12-03-06, 02:34 PM
Falkon 
No Talent Assclown

Bikes: 1984 Ciocc Designer '84, Custom Columbus EL Keith Anderson -- Ultegra/DA 10sp mix, 2019 Trek Checkpoint AL All-arounder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
It takes repeat DUIs and a death to get this to happen. At least they're pursuing a just charge.
Old 12-03-06, 03:02 PM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Looks like this scumbag has been bouncing around the courts for a while...
Old 12-03-06, 05:37 PM
brokenrobot
Sweetened with Splenda

Bikes: Too many 80s roadbikes!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikepacker67
Looks like this scumbag has been bouncing around the courts for a while...
Wow! I count 7 prior traffic arrests, including one for DUI and one for "extreme" DUI. Charming.
Old 12-03-06, 11:51 PM
SunFlower
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have been working with a local congressman to pass stiffer penalties for drunk drivers in california. it wont happen. it will NEVER happen. america is a country that loves drunk drivers. no one will go on the record and vote to have stiffer penalties. in the 4 years i have been working with this congressman not even a single draft has been completed for a bill. its basically a non issue to politicans and voters alike. i have about 15 friends who have gotten DUI's. they all say DUI's are bad but not a serious issue. 70% of americans over the legal driving age drink....and they all want to protect their right to drink and drive and kill people, so do politicans. who do i blame ? basically everyone. i am bitter. i do however feel better knowing that 25,000 americans will be killed by drunk drivers this year and all of their families will think its "an outrage" . none of them will do anything about it though and neither will politicians. i say they all get what they deserve.
Old 12-03-06, 11:52 PM
chrisvu05
Legs of Steel

Bikes: Pegoretti Marcelo, Cannondale six13

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if you look closely the most of her dui's were dismissed by the City Attorney. sounds like we have a crappy system on our hands ladies and gentlemen
Old 12-04-06, 06:57 PM
mlh122

Bikes: Trek 4500

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it about oil? since the economy is addicted to oil, if they started restricting all the bad drivers, drunk drivers, reckless drivers (like that girl that killed the cyclist while trying to download a ringtone, sober but might as well be drunk, or blind, etc..) then that would be an awful lot of drivers and thus oil consumption would go down and big oil would make less money.... just a theory
Old 12-04-06, 07:17 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by mlh122
Is it about oil? since the economy is addicted to oil, if they started restricting all the bad drivers, drunk drivers, reckless drivers (like that girl that killed the cyclist while trying to download a ringtone, sober but might as well be drunk, or blind, etc..) then that would be an awful lot of drivers and thus oil consumption would go down and big oil would make less money.... just a theory
Probably not as much "about oil" as it is about personal freedom and what a driver's license and a car represent.

First, the whole moniker about "driving is a privilege, not a right" seems to be forgotten my some of these judges and prosecutors.

Second, it is darn easy to get a license in the US, and for some reason, darn hard to lose one. Since we are dealing with a motoring public, they tend to side with any motorist that might be in trouble... the public can "relate" to fellow motorists... but not to non-drivers, so there tends to be sympathies to the "mistakes" of others... we tend to be bleeding hearts, and give even known trouble makers "yet another chance."

These are deeply ingrained feelings... brought about by that sense of personal freedom that many feel the first time they got a license and got behind the wheel. Gonna be heard to overcome that "issue." Takes a death to do it... pretty much.
Old 12-09-06, 07:08 AM
Wino Ryder
"Purgatory Central"

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Sad story.

yet again
Old 12-09-06, 02:31 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
Originally Posted by SunFlower
i have been working with a local congressman to pass stiffer penalties for drunk drivers in california. it wont happen. it will NEVER happen. america is a country that loves drunk drivers. no one will go on the record and vote to have stiffer penalties. in the 4 years i have been working with this congressman not even a single draft has been completed for a bill. its basically a non issue to politicans and voters alike. i have about 15 friends who have gotten DUI's. they all say DUI's are bad but not a serious issue. 70% of americans over the legal driving age drink....and they all want to protect their right to drink and drive and kill people, so do politicans. who do i blame ? basically everyone. i am bitter. i do however feel better knowing that 25,000 americans will be killed by drunk drivers this year and all of their families will think its "an outrage" . none of them will do anything about it though and neither will politicians. i say they all get what they deserve.
Don't be so discouraged. DUI penalties today are far stricter than 20 years ago, thanks to the efforts of MADD. Join them and get involved, as I have.

Also, note that Europeans really love their alcohol but detest drunk drivers, so one CAN have it both ways. Keep at it!
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069