Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

First 2 way commute - great day until some bastard stole my lunch!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-07, 01:52 PM
fholt

Bikes: 2006 Novara Randonee, 2009 Fuji Cross Pro, 2013 Specialized Roubaix Pro, 2013 Allez Smartweld A5 Frankenbike, 2021 Diverge Comp Carbon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts

So I've been fitting up my new Randonee for commuting, rack, bags, lighting, etc. Meanwhile we've moved into a new building, and I joined a fitness club around the corner for shower access. Today the cold weather (OK, I'm a wimp) finally let up, and I set out in the dark to ride the 17.5 miles in. It was a great day to ride, and everything worked as planned.

Until I went to the freezer in the break area where I'd stashed a lean cuisine Spaghetti and a Boston market turkey dinner - and they are just gone (they had my name on them too!). I could have ridden out to get something, but since I have cereal and banannas at my desk (and they didn't steal my milk) I just had breakfast again. BASTARDS! Who steals somebody's labelled lunch?

I'll probably only be able to commute 1-2 days per week, but it's a start. Last year I had only done a few "one way" commutes (home one evening and back the next morning, with gear in the car etc).
'13 Specialized Roubaix Pro
'13 Specialized Allez Smartweld Frankenbike
'21 Diverge Comp Carbon
Old 02-21-07, 02:01 PM
dalmore
Neat - w/ ice on the side

Bikes: 2005 Dahon Speed TR, 2006 Dahon Mu SL, 2000 GT XiZang, 1999ish Rock Lobster, 2007 Dean Animas CTI

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
congrats!!

My boss is usually the one that steals my meals

Change you can believe in - Bigfoot Nessie 08
Old 02-21-07, 02:01 PM
bikedaddy

Bikes: Trek 7100 Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Recently someone stole my wife's half eaten sandwich from a fridge. I don't know what is wrong with people.

Conrats on the two-way commute. 17.5 miles is a good bit of distance for work. Keep it up.
Old 02-21-07, 02:13 PM
bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This is why I brought my own refrigerator to work! I got tired of hearing 'It's a community fridge, it's open to everyone' as an excuse for someone eating MY food or drinking MY soda. I mean C'mon! And it was always the same bastages. Now my food is in my fridge right next to my desk, I let my coworkers use it, but everyone understands that you don't take ANYTHING out that you didn't put in unless you ask first. First time my lunch disappears it's getting a big padlock on it.
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 02-21-07, 02:15 PM
Ganesha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's why I bring poodle for lunch.
Old 02-21-07, 02:16 PM
bikedaddy

Bikes: Trek 7100 Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Poodle is the most delicious of the canines!
Old 02-21-07, 02:37 PM
CreepShow
Stay gold

Bikes: 2019 Canyon Endurace; 2014 Cannondale Trail 4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you need to put some exlax brownies in the next bag lunch you leave in the fridge. Yes, I'm evil...
Old 02-21-07, 02:43 PM
Bolo Grubb

Bikes: 1984 Trek 720 with a Nexus hub, 2016 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 10 Posts
I never put my lunch in the fridge. Get yourself an insulated lunch bag and some blue ice packs. The ice packs will keep your lunch plenty cold (even frozen stuff) until you are ready to eat it.
Old 02-21-07, 02:44 PM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ExLax brownies... That's a good idea, actually. I think I'd get violent if someone stole my food. (Sorry Shadiyah)
Old 02-21-07, 03:07 PM
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!

Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1 on the exlax laced lunches. I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.

Usually I just refrigerate or freeze my lunches the night before, then leave them on my desk and heat them at lunch time (if they need to be heated).

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
Old 02-21-07, 03:08 PM
thdave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bolo Grubb
I never put my lunch in the fridge. Get yourself an insulated lunch bag and some blue ice packs. The ice packs will keep your lunch plenty cold (even frozen stuff) until you are ready to eat it.
This is what I do. I put the lunch in my trunk bag, along with my shirt and other bring alongs.

I can't believe someone would steal your lunch. That's sad. But, back to the bike--many congrats. Keep it up and you'll love the difference in your life.
Old 02-21-07, 03:36 PM
bbunk

Bikes: Trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fholt
So I've been fitting up my new Randonee for commuting, rack, bags, lighting, etc. Meanwhile we've moved into a new building, and I joined a fitness club around the corner for shower access. Today the cold weather (OK, I'm a wimp) finally let up, and I set out in the dark to ride the 17.5 miles in. It was a great day to ride, and everything worked as planned.

Until I went to the freezer in the break area where I'd stashed a lean cuisine Spaghetti and a Boston market turkey dinner - and they are just gone (they had my name on them too!). I could have ridden out to get something, but since I have cereal and banannas at my desk (and they didn't steal my milk) I just had breakfast again. BASTARDS! Who steals somebody's labelled lunch?

I'll probably only be able to commute 1-2 days per week, but it's a start. Last year I had only done a few "one way" commutes (home one evening and back the next morning, with gear in the car etc).

Your lunch was good too!! What are ya bringing me tomorrow?

I hate community fridges, either someone steals food or leaves something in there to rot. I have my own fridge by my desk. When I did not have that luxury in the past I always used the blue ice packs that you can refreeze instead off the community fridge.

Congrats on the ride! Keep it up it only gets better.
Old 02-21-07, 03:51 PM
ModoVincere
Riding Heaven's Highways on the grand tour

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
you just have to learn how to eat food that is hotter than h@ll. I love spicy food, so spicy no one else will eat it. No one steals my food more than once
Old 02-21-07, 03:57 PM
fordfasterr
One speed: FAST !

Bikes: Ebay Bikes... =)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
buy the meanest hot sauce you can find, and then inject it into some lean chicken meat ... leave it in the fridge and write "FREE " on it....

OHH YEAH !!!!!!
Old 02-21-07, 03:57 PM
squegeeboo

Bikes: Specalized Tri-Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, I really enjoyed your Spaghetti, but can you get the linguini next time? I like that one even more.
Old 02-21-07, 04:26 PM
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dave's Ultimate Insanity Sauce (Hot Sauce)
https://www.firegirl.com/hs1125ui.html

This stuff will light you up. Use with extreme caution. Anything dressed up with this will cause the thief to reveal him/herself. You'll know by the screaming.

And it's pretty damn funny when somebody else gets a hit of it.

Last edited by CommuterRun; 02-21-07 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-21-07, 04:35 PM
ragboy
actin' the foo

Bikes: several

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CreepShow
Sounds like you need to put some exlax brownies in the next bag lunch you leave in the fridge. Yes, I'm evil...
+1

The trick is you have to make it a tempting meal. A PBJ & Exlax won't cut it -- get something hot and tasty, then lace it.

Bastards!
Old 02-21-07, 05:07 PM
DogBoy
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just put the label "Pre-licked" on the package.
Old 02-21-07, 05:36 PM
The Figment
The Wheel is Turning

Bikes: '05 Novara (REI) Bonanza

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My GF had this problem at work for a while until she stumbled a great idea...one used but clean TV dinner tray,one unwrinkled peice of white butcher paper cut to fit TV dinner tray,a bit of rubber cement around the edge of said tray,fill with used Kitty box chunks,put paper on tray,put tray back in box it came from,use rubber cement ot seal said box...put in fridge at work!!
Needless her lunch NEVER came up missing again!!
Old 02-21-07, 06:33 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
We had a guy in college that would steal peoples food, especially candy. We packed a candy bar with ex-lax and set it on the desk. The guy walked in and joined our conversation, grabbed the candy bar and ate it in front of us. 15-20 minutes later, we all watched him run to the bathroom.

Ex-lax chocolate chip cookies got swiped by our high school football coaches.
Old 02-21-07, 07:04 PM
feba
Micro Gameboyist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For extra fun, put it in a container that the person can't see through, and put one of those edible cake paper things with "Don't steal other people's food " on it, and a cutout of the exlax logo from the packaging at the bottom. That way it's psychological, too.
Old 02-21-07, 07:07 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
We had a guy in college that would steal peoples food, especially candy. We packed a candy bar with ex-lax and set it on the desk. The guy walked in and joined our conversation, grabbed the candy bar and ate it in front of us. 15-20 minutes later, we all watched him run to the bathroom.

Ex-lax chocolate chip cookies got swiped by our high school football coaches.
I was about to suggest this also.
Old 02-21-07, 07:31 PM
TRUMPHENT
Dave

Bikes: Nashbar X-Cross 29r wheels front disc brake

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't ever leave sealed, retail packaging food items in the 'hood' fridge. I plan to get a zippered insulated lunchbox, a heavy gauge short fishing leader and a tiny padlock.

I hope you lock your bike up, even if it is brought inside. Do the same for your lunch if you must leave it in the fridge.

You could just allow a frozen dinner to defrost under your desk until lunchtime. Your mileage may vary!
Old 02-21-07, 08:16 PM
MyBikeGotStolen

Bikes: Raleigh Glacier MTB/Commuter. Cannondale CAAD5, Windsor Timeline fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
MY dad told me that he injected jelly donuts with a syring full of exlax to "cure" a lunch theif. You might wanna try that
Old 02-21-07, 08:35 PM
Zero_Enigma

Bikes: MTB Peugoet Canyon (forgot the model), Nikishi? roadbike, MTB custom build,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fholt

Try rat poison. But that is too extreme but you'll know who took it for sure then when you find -1 employee around.

Another thing that hit the mind was brownies. Ahh yes, the yummy stuff. But instead of the normal chocolate use laxitive chocolate. Like a ship ton of it to make this brownie and label it with your name. If that goes missing check the washrooms with a stopwatch. Anyone over 10mins is a suspect. Anyone over 30mins is your man.

I hate people stealing other peoples food. I mean if they asked then sure I'd share a little of a taster. Grr.. peeves me off. I've had that happen before but the ones I hate are those that nibble a bit of your food and run off.

MC Hawking said it best "Don't make me put my d--- in the mashed potatos".

Zero_Enigma

Last edited by Zero_Enigma; 02-21-07 at 08:43 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.