Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Flooring cover for a tiny apartment to store bike on

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-07, 09:39 PM
Curiouswill

Bikes: trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, this is my first post in the Bicycle Mechanics sub-forum and I'm currently reading up on some book on the maintenances of bikes. I have never really worked on a bike before and would love to learn how to but before I could get to that, I'll need to figure out a good way to store a bike where I could work on it without messing up the carpet of my apartment. I have a spot set aside for when I set it up for the bicycle storage. Unfortunately it is carpeted and I cannot afford to pay for any possible damages to it.

Currently I'm storing my bike in the kitchen and it is starting to dirty up the floor there. At the very least it is easier to clean up there. Because of this, would it be a good idea for me to get a roll of the plastic thing that cover the usual flooring in the restroom and kitchen (you know what I mean?) and screw a strip of woods to the edges to keep it flat? I can set this up right to the opening of the entrance door and set it up to have like 8'x6' spaces to hold all of the tools and chemicals (such as lubes) on it. Other stuffs that can be stored in boxes such as parts will be set on the carpet next to this flooring.

Well, is this a good way of setting up a small workspace area to protect the carpet? is there anything that I've missed or just simply forgot about it?

P.S. If this have already been brought up before then I apologizes, I just didn't know the right words to use for the search.
Old 04-12-07, 09:42 PM
tool boy
fender bender

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a rug for protecting the floor. I picked it up real cheap at a garage sale and it has worked great. Measures 8'X5'. It won't keep all the oil from a fork from leaking through, but when you're done with dirty work, roll it up, take it outside and shake it out (or vacuum if you are super neat).

Cheers!
Old 04-12-07, 10:31 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Yeah, I'd see if I could pick up a remnant/scrap cheap from a carpet store, or even from a construction site if they're willing to let you have the leftovers. Otherwise, rug runner will work fine as well, which you can buy by the linear foot from a hardware store.
Old 04-12-07, 10:58 PM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe a 5' x 8' piece of sheet metal with the edges turned up ahalf inch or so that you keep the bike on. Kind of a giant cookie tray. Then have a canister of oil absorbant like processed sawdust or (really) kitty litter to sprinkle on any spills which you then sweep up.
Old 04-12-07, 11:09 PM
Curiouswill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll check out about the extra carpets to use. But I still don't want ANY risk of carpet damage since you mentioned some possible leaks.

Originally Posted by ken cummings
Maybe a 5' x 8' piece of sheet metal with the edges turned up a half inch or so that you keep the bike on. Kind of a giant cookie tray. Then have a canister of oil absorbent like processed sawdust or (really) kitty litter to sprinkle on any spills which you then sweep up.
I wish that I could afford the metal for that. One of the reason why I'm in a tiny apartment and started cycling 1.5 month ago is cause I'm getting a bit tight with my money lately (especially since I've been using the money to buy necessary items such as a rain pant, bike rack, and etc. first).
Old 04-12-07, 11:28 PM
Ganesha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's what I use.

Last edited by Ganesha; 06-28-07 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-13-07, 08:34 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Another possibility is to pick up a vinyl floor covering remnant at a carpet and flooring store. These come in a variety of sizes and can be cut to fit your area with a pair of sissors. They are also impervious to oil and can be cleaned easily.
Old 04-13-07, 12:17 PM
supcom
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
One of those inexpensive blue tarps from wallmart or a home improvement store should do the trick. You could also get a roll of plastic sheeting from a home improvement store. Get the thicker stuff and change it out when it gets holes in it.

If you really want to avoid carpet damage, don't work on your bike inside. Take it outside - especially if you are doing any lubrication or cleaning.
Old 04-13-07, 01:16 PM
humble_biker
so much for physics

Bikes: Scott CR1 team, Fuji track pro, NYCbike, Cannondale, Free Spirit, GT Edge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A layer of heavy weight vis-queen duct taped and then a solid layer of good old fashioned cardboard to absorb the "drippings"
Old 04-13-07, 05:48 PM
peripatetic

Bikes: All 70s and 80s, only steel.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Cardboard and duct tape works great. It's actually very nice to walk on, as well. I use old nashbar boxes.
Old 04-13-07, 09:20 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ganesha
Here's what I use.

Before we got the house I did the same thing. Carpet runners work great for that
Old 04-14-07, 12:03 AM
Horse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last edited by Horse; 04-18-07 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-14-07, 12:09 AM
Blue Jays
Banned

Bikes: roadbikes and full-suspension mountainbikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about a sheet of plywood cut down to 3 x 6 and painted to match the same color as the carpeting? You could tack molding around the edges to keep things from rolling off the edges. When you're done using it for repairs, just slide it under the bed!
Old 04-14-07, 10:52 AM
vrkelley
Enjoy

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ganesha, what sort of stand is that and where did you buy it?
Originally Posted by Ganesha
Here's what I use.

Old 04-14-07, 01:40 PM
Ganesha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't remember the specifics. I just walked into my local bike shop and asked, they pulled out a catalog and special ordered it for me.
Old 04-18-07, 08:50 AM
Curiouswill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a mini-update, I've went to the dollar store yesterday and noticed that they also sells some shower curtain. So until I find a better material to cover the carpet with, this shower curtain will be used as a test run. if it does work well then it shouldn't be too hard to keep it clean. especially since I could just replace it for $1 once it get too dirty.
Old 04-18-07, 09:04 AM
dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
An area rug from you local big box store. If you're worried about bleed through, cut a sheet of plastic for underneath.

Lowes has a nice bike rack https://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...-2L&lpage=none
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 04-18-07, 03:04 PM
Syerflyer

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale R1000 CAAD8; 2004 Cannondale F800, XT Drivetrain, Hayes Brakes, Hand-built Mavic 819X Tubeless Disc Rims w/ DT Swiss Comp. Spokes, Red DT Swiss Nipples, Lefty Front Hub, Ringle FR/XC Rear Hub

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.sofsurfaces.com/softile.html

Check that out, the shop I used to work in had these on the shop floor; they're everything-proof, and super-comfy to stand on for long periods of time, plus they look cool.

B.
Old 04-18-07, 03:20 PM
PhucNguyen57

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a bath towel. I fold it in half and put the bicycle on top. It catches and absorbs the drips if the bike is wet, and it keeps the tires off the carpet.