Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Worst excuses...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Worst excuses...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-07, 01:04 PM
Buglady

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Worst excuses...

I was chatting with a colleague in the lunch room today about bike commuting. He lives right next to one of the river paths, a flat 4 km stretch with no road crossings or anything else. It would be a dead easy 15 minute ride, tops! But, despite claiming that he "would love to ride to work," he is tragically prevented from doing so... by the fear of messing up his hair.

I did NOT laugh at him. I swear. At least not where he could see me.

What are the funniest/lamest excuses you've heard?
Old 05-09-07, 01:09 PM
Flimflam
Raving looney

Bikes: 70s Leader Precision w/Shimano 600 (road), IRO Rob Roy (Fixed)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a coworker buddy make an excuse for not checking out Critical Mass with me (which is an EASY paced ride), let alone the commuting part.

I've offered to ride to his place and ride in with him, but he's just not biting yet - maybe soon, he's on a quit-smoking jibe right now so I'm hoping he'll want to shift to a bike from the transit soon.
Old 05-09-07, 01:26 PM
Itsjustb

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 5c, Scattante XRL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buglady, points to you for not laughing. I'd have spewed my drink.

Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
Old 05-09-07, 01:37 PM
thdave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Buglady
I was chatting with a colleague in the lunch room today about bike commuting. He lives right next to one of the river paths, a flat 4 km stretch with no road crossings or anything else. It would be a dead easy 15 minute ride, tops! But, despite claiming that he "would love to ride to work," he is tragically prevented from doing so... by the fear of messing up his hair.

I heard the same thing, but from a woman.

I met her at our little company free breakfast thingy for Ride Bike to Work Day. She had ridden that day and rides 25 miles on weekends with her husband and a club they're in. I was impressed until she talked some more. I noticed that her hair was all done up, much moreso than my helmet hair. The only reason she rode in that morning was because she was on a committee arranging this. She said she couldn't do this again since it would mess up her hair.

The truth of the matter is that it would mess up her hair--which was kind of big and poofy--if she put on a helmet! She'd need a new style.
Old 05-09-07, 01:49 PM
newbojeff
Commuter First

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My hair sometimes gets messed up when I ride. I have this incredible device in my office. It consists of a series of hundreds of vertical bristles sticking up from a wooden backing, which is attached to a handle. I find that if I draw this device through my hair, the hair becomes straighter and more presentable. Fortunately, I have been using this device since I was about 10. Because of it, I have been able to bike to work.
Old 05-09-07, 01:52 PM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
People laugh at me when I use that excuse. Could be that I am bald. Maybe just maybe.
Old 05-09-07, 01:54 PM
skanking biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by newbojeff
My hair sometimes gets messed up when I ride. I have this incredible device in my office. It consists of a series of hundreds of vertical bristles sticking up from a wooden backing, which is attached to a handle. I find that if I draw this device through my hair, the hair becomes straighter and more presentable. Fortunately, I have been using this device since I was about 10. Because of it, I have been able to bike to work.
RAOTFL
Old 05-09-07, 01:56 PM
RomSpaceKnight

Bikes: Devinci Taos, Mielle Alpha

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's dangerous/too hot/too cold/messes my hair/I hate the rooster tail stripe/can't carry my laptop/lunch/change of clothes/it's too far/I'm not in good enough shape/.......................

Ther all lame answers. There is a solution to everything.
Old 05-09-07, 02:00 PM
dalmore
Neat - w/ ice on the side

Bikes: 2005 Dahon Speed TR, 2006 Dahon Mu SL, 2000 GT XiZang, 1999ish Rock Lobster, 2007 Dean Animas CTI

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know, I'm depressed now. This just reminded me that once I really did get turned down for a date because Tina told me "I have to wash my hair." ...

Change you can believe in - Bigfoot Nessie 08
Old 05-09-07, 02:05 PM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by thdave
I heard the same thing, but from a woman.

I met her at our little company free breakfast thingy for Ride Bike to Work Day. She had ridden that day and rides 25 miles on weekends with her husband and a club they're in. I was impressed until she talked some more. I noticed that her hair was all done up, much moreso than my helmet hair. The only reason she rode in that morning was because she was on a committee arranging this. She said she couldn't do this again since it would mess up her hair.

The truth of the matter is that it would mess up her hair--which was kind of big and poofy--if she put on a helmet! She'd need a new style.
There is a manager in my office who would never think of riding a bike. She wants to be safe in her big ole SUV. I do swear though that she styles her hair with a firecracker every morning.
Old 05-09-07, 02:09 PM
Buglady

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Originally Posted by Itsjustb
Buglady, points to you for not laughing. I'd have spewed my drink.
I'm slowly learning tact. Slowly

I think I am going to start collecting excuses... this one was particularly funny because this guy's hair is thinning badly, which he himself admits. He was worried about being able to get "coverage" with the remainder, if it dried funny under a helmet.

Maybe I should be more sympathetic - but my hairstyle usually is more along the lines of "containment" (I've been growing it out for a year and a half).
Old 05-09-07, 02:22 PM
Brian Sorrell
My bicycle is fixed

Bikes: '08 Surly Steamroller, '07 Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
One of my coworkers is trying to get her son to ride to high school. Apparently he's quite afraid that it's not cool enough to ride a bike to high school anymore. I don't get it -- I was his age a mere 18 years ago and I would have killed for 1) a bike and 2) a mom who would encourage me to use it to get around. We thought that maybe it's just him, but she said that there isn't even a bike rack at the school. So apparently, no one rides! And we're in Southern California where riding year round is hardly a problem -- I'm a year round commuter.

On the flip side, my lovely wife rode to work today. She realized that she was trying to find excuses and so bit the bullet and went. I might ride over and accompany her home tonight. That's always fun.
Old 05-09-07, 02:26 PM
Buglady

What an incredible invention! You should patent it!
Old 05-09-07, 02:44 PM
jmeier
The wrong side of normal

Bikes: '98 GT Agressor/ just gifted Iron Horse Maverick/ Cannondale Synapse Sport (FAST)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOL
lame excuses stink...but not always as bad as I do after a long ride...
Old 05-09-07, 02:49 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts

Please tell me that this guy doesn't shave his head!... or have the "cul-de-sac" hair cut that I sport. So maybe you could leave a 10 cent come on his desk with a message attached, "for your first bicycle commute." It really wouldn't matter... this guy would have another excuse waiting once this problem was solved, right? I'll bet the first day that he actually commutes, he'll show up wearing all out race clothing and riding a Litespeed Ghisallo. 4km each way?... could this guy ask for a better situation?

I dunno what it is with people. I love my commute - especially the morning commute. It's nice and cool, quiet, and gets me jacked up for the day.
Old 05-09-07, 02:53 PM
SDRider
Cat None

Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The alternative is hair so short that all you need is a little hair gel at your desk to make it do what you want and you're good.

Of course, we have showers here at work so there really is no excuse.
Old 05-09-07, 02:58 PM
littlewaywelt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In all seriousness, to prevent the hairdrier in spots rollercoaster look from the wind blowing through the portals take some suranwrap or glad press'n seal and cover the front vents. I've been doing this for years. In the winter it makes things mucho warmer.
Old 05-09-07, 03:05 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by RomSpaceKnight
It's dangerous/too hot/too cold/messes my hair/I hate the rooster tail stripe/can't carry my laptop/lunch/change of clothes/it's too far/I'm not in good enough shape/.......................

Ther all lame answers. There is a solution to everything.
I presume that those reasons for not riding are considered quite reasonable to those who state those reasons. And they have found a reasonable solution - they don't ride a bike.

What I find lame is the apparant requirement that others must justify their reasons for not riding to some smug cyclist smirking at them at the lunch table.
Old 05-09-07, 03:17 PM
nick burns

Bikes: Puch Luzern, Puch Mistral SLE, Bianchi Pista, Motobecane Grand Touring, Austro-Daimler Ultima, Legnano, Raleigh MountainTour, Cannondale SM600

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2 hrs?!

You're slipping.
Old 05-09-07, 03:25 PM
jbarros

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my lamest excuses always come from myself. At 0500hrs when you know you can get another 2 hours of sleep if you drive... it's amazing what sounds like a good reason not to ride. I think at one point I used the thought that I didn't want to break the bicycle by hitting a dog on it. I'm not sure why I thought I'd hit a dog on the major arteries I commute on, or how this would break the bicycle, but I had 3 hours of sleep so far, and it seemed like a good enough reason to go back to sleep at the time.

FWIW, when I woke up and came to my senses, I rode in anyway, and just took a later train.

-- James
Old 05-09-07, 03:33 PM
Buglady

Yeah, I'm smirking, 'cause I'm all high school like that And I totally jump on everyone demanding that they justify themselves. Yeah.

It's when someone *claims* that they'd love to ride but (fill in the blank) that it becomes hard to take them seriously - one or the other, but not both! And when it's coupled with a "oh you're so slim, I'm so jealous, I have to diet, I wish I could eat all I want like you"... there's a really easy answer and it's strange how people tie themselves in knots avoiding it. Human nature, though, I suppose - the unknown or unfamiliar is always scary...
Old 05-09-07, 03:51 PM
Jolt

Bikes: Early or mid '90s Giant Nutra women's hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SDRider
The alternative is hair so short that all you need is a little hair gel at your desk to make it do what you want and you're good.

Of course, we have showers here at work so there really is no excuse.
Or (at least for the women) long hair that can be pulled back in a ponytail, which can then be threaded through the back of the helmet (some helmets are better than others for this). Then it doesn't get messed up that much from the helmet, and nothing that a quick brushing and re-doing of the ponytail won't quickly fix. I used to have a short spiky hairstyle and have since grown it out, and I've actually found the long style to be much lower maintenance (not to mention no more embarrassing incidents of being mistaken for a teenage boy!!).
Old 05-09-07, 04:20 PM
Treespeed
Warning:Mild Peril

Bikes: Cilo, Surly Pacer, Kona Fire Mountain w/Bob Trailer, Scattante

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I presume that those reasons for not riding are considered quite reasonable to those who state those reasons. And they have found a reasonable solution - they don't ride a bike.

What I find lame is the apparant requirement that others must justify their reasons for not riding to some smug cyclist smirking at them at the lunch table.
+1
Old 05-09-07, 04:27 PM
Ganesha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
he "would love to ride to work," he is tragically prevented from doing so... by the fear of messing up his hair.
?
What? You never knew a guy who carried a mirror in his pocket and a comb up his sleeve-just in case?
Old 05-09-07, 04:29 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
OK, yes, I've excused myself from riding a few times when I know I just wasn't going to have a good day on a couple of hours of sleep. But on those days, the extra 30 minutes wasn't going to help either... so I had to call in sick and say I'd be in later. I didn't want to come into work and say that I was cured by some miracle and that's why I'm on my bike.. so I just drove the car in, moped around at work saying that I didn't feel all that good, and then when I got home.. I jumped on my bike and rode twice as far as I would have if I'd chosen to commute by bicycle that day!

Sleep.. it's essential for a cyclist (or anybody!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.