Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

What exatly is behind nutty motorist rage

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

What exatly is behind nutty motorist rage

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-08, 12:14 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by ilmooz
Sorry to have rankled you, but my original comment was strictly satire thought to be far fetched enough to be recognized as such. I don't really give a hoot about OPEC, I certainly wouldn't wear a "I Love OPEC" t-shirt, and I ride exclusively on trails and never in traffic.
You must not read many of the similar idiotic posts about sticking it to the cagers that are made in dead earnest on BF. Since your entire post was a fabrication about what you do, with no indication of "satiric intent" can I presume that any of your future posts are also fabrications/ lies and are "strictly satire?"
Old 05-25-08, 12:56 AM
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
"what exactly is behind nutty motorist rage?"

The same as what's behind smooth motorist rage.... except without the nuts!

Old 05-25-08, 01:13 AM
stevo9er

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
You must not read many of the similar idiotic posts about sticking it to the cagers that are made in dead earnest on BF. Since your entire post was a fabrication about what you do, with no indication of "satiric intent" can I presume that any of your future posts are also fabrications/ lies and are "strictly satire?"
Internet, serious business.

People are just impatient and high strung these days, thinking about too many stupid things like how to pay off their plasma, etc.
Old 05-25-08, 02:11 AM
Chris L
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikepacker67
Ya that's it.

My frustration with the speeders/buzzers/impatient jackholes is really caused by unresolved issues regarding my mother.

Maybe it's because you lost two seconds to someone cutting you off (yes, it happens to both cyclists and motorists) and you just didn't manage your time well enough to deal with it. Or maybe someone disagreed with you on a silly message board somewhere and you just didn't get around to walking it off, much like what we're seeing in this thread.

That is all.
Old 05-25-08, 02:37 AM
moore.sean

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didn't read the other replies.

From what I get, it seems to be "not one of us" mentality. The further from normal the cyclist is perceived, the more he/she will be persecuted.

I hear everything from, "Aholes zip by me and my grandson on the bike path at 40 miles per hour!" (yeah, he likes to exaggerate) to "Lose the costumes, bike f*gs!" (referring to Lycra and especially the dolled up jerseys with the fake sponsor stuff on them)

The peloton group ride is a big contention point here in CO. Cyclists in a big mob hogging a road aren't good for anyone, I don't care what you say. That image sticks with a motorist.

Personally, I just ride a fairly "normal" bike in "normal" clothes. I don't get hassled at all. I look like them and they might even ride themselves, living in CO. They at least KNOW someone who rides a bike.

My next bike will be a euro-ized MTB. Euro for the utility, MTB for the variance of the riding conditions I encounter west of Denver. High BB with a chain case, a wide saddle and swept back bars. I'll ride in jeans and look as normal as someone driving to the grocery store.

No, I don't race, nor do I ride faster than 20mph for more than a mile.
Old 05-25-08, 05:30 AM
ilmooz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
It's safe to presume any could be but not necessarily all will be.
Old 05-25-08, 07:32 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

It's safe to presume any could be but not necessarily all will be.
You should try out your droll wit on this thread; should be right up your alley: https://67.201.16.77/showthread.php?t=422055
Old 05-25-08, 07:36 AM
SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to have rankled you, but my original comment was strictly satire thought to be far fetched enough to be recognized as such. I don't really give a hoot about OPEC, I certainly wouldn't wear a "I Love OPEC" t-shirt, and I ride exclusively on trails and never in traffic.

The satirical intent of your previous post was abundantly obvious to anyone with a sense of humor.

That ILTB took it literally is yet further confirmation of his status as Senior Curmudgeon in Residence here on BF.

BTW, you must have upset him because he referred to you as a "boy" ("BozoBoys With Attitude"). He routinely uses "boy" as a form of insult (e.g., "racer boys" for anyone who likes to ride fast while dressed in lycra). That's ironic, given the frequency with which he chastises others for using terms like "cager" (but perhaps he's dealing with nagging physical issues from riding his nasty-looking 30-year old saddle ).
Old 05-25-08, 08:11 AM
ilmooz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awfully serious for someone represented by a trombone playing cat for an avatar.
Old 05-25-08, 08:16 AM
Ganesha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a DUPE.
Old 05-25-08, 08:17 AM
Ganesha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ATAC49er
The population of the United States has gone up 75% in my lifetime. Space has not increased so much as one square inch...
That puts your birth population near 171 million, which is slightly before Alaska and Hawaii were admitted to the Union, which means the area of the US when up quite a bit. If you are counting US territory then the area has decreased. If you are counting area classically defined as the 50 states then that area is slightly smaller. As the US lost a slight amount of net area in a land swap with Mexico in 1970. The US also agreed to cede ownership of some uninhabited rocks back to the USSR (as part of a treaty that defined a clear maritime boundaries between the two nations).
Old 05-25-08, 08:24 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by SSP
The satirical intent of your previous post was abundantly obvious to anyone with a sense of humor.

That ILTB took it literally is yet further confirmation of his status as Senior Curmudgeon in Residence here on BF.

BTW, you must have upset him because he referred to you as a "boy" ("BozoBoys With Attitude"). He routinely uses "boy" as a form of insult (e.g., "racer boys" for anyone who likes to ride fast while dressed in lycra). That's ironic, given the frequency with which he chastises others for using terms like "cager" (but perhaps he's dealing with nagging physical issues from riding his nasty-looking 30-year old saddle ).
Try again FreudBoy (AKA self appointed "MindReaderMan"). I like the alliteration of BicyclingBozoBoys, sounds better than Bicycling Men and /or Bicycling JackAsses. Maybe you should try your psycho babble powers on another subject, Swami. Maybe even the subject of this thread, RagerMen.

BTW, I have learned about some posters. For example, ilmooz makes no distinction between fact and fiction when posting about what he does on a bicycle; and thinks his cutsie fabrications are satiric when called out for their offensiveness. Or Racer "types" such as yourself that seem unable to distinguish between commuting and competitive cycling activities when posting comments about commuting.

When such individual patterns are clear, I give those posts and the individual posters the consideration that they merit. Of course others are free to do the same to me or anyone else who doesn't share the same mind reading powers, self described satiric wit, need for group hugs/consensus, and/or knowledge of Approved Bicycling Wisdom as the Bicycling Wise(Ass) Men.

Edit: The satiric intent is hardly obvious at all when the Serious Smugsters post.
See https://67.201.16.77/showpost.php?p=6757810&postcount=48
And the non satiric reply at: https://67.201.16.77/showpost.php?p=6757851&postcount=51
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
wizard2.jpg (9.2 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 05-25-08 at 04:52 PM. Reason: More "obviously satiric" posts noted
Old 05-25-08, 08:47 AM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue Order
Motorist "anger" at cyclists (for lack of a more appropriate word) can't be attributed to one simplistic reason. Instead, I think it derives from many sources. One source is that we are "the other"-- i.e., we're not one of them, we're one of "them" (i.e., "they're not one of us, they're one of them"). And the same goes with how we view motorists. It's standard social identity theory. And bias against "the other" is a standard response to groups outside one's own group. We can see it in race, nationality, religion, politics, we see it between fans of rival sports teams, and we see it between motorists and cyclists. Bias in favor of one's own group and against the other group is built around perceived differences between the groups. How many racists, for example, state that they don't like the skin color of the other group? Probably none. What they do say is they don't like the way the other group behaves. They express a preference for their own group's behavioral choices. And in order to support their own group's superior moral claim, they demonize and dehumanize "the other" (see Faces of the Enemy). One way to demonize "the other" in the context of motorist vs. cyclist is to litanize the sins of the other: "They're scofflaws who don't respect our rights, so they don't deserve respect from us" "They're trying to kill us, so they don't deserve respect from us."

Anther source is the way these social groups compete for resources; it can be expressed, for example, as "their group is taking our jobs." In the context of competition between motorists and cyclists, it's competition over a limited resource (road space) with "the other." and in that competition, we are smaller and weaker, and therefore more easily pushed out of the way. Because we are "the other," competing with their group for space, they attempt to out-compete us. And to justify pushing us out of the resource base, they dehumanize us. They demonize us. They stereotype us. And we do the same to them. When a motorist nearly hits one of us, we haul out the stereotypes: Fat, lazy, cell-phone yakking "cagers." When we blow a stop light, they haul out the stereotypes: Scofflaws, arrogant, rude. The negative stereotypes aren't the reason we hate them or they hate us. But when we live up to the negative stereotypes, we "confirm" (see confirmation bias) that the stereotypes, and thus the underlying bias against us, are legitimately held. The demonization is given legitimacy.
That's not the only reason, incidentally, why motorists are angered by cyclists blowing stops. Their anger is legitimate when a cyclist blows a stop, nearly causes a collision, and then flips the motorist off for good measure. Another reason they're angered is because blowing stops violates a cultural sense of fair play. Blowing stops is akin to cutting in line-- the vehicle operator blowing the stop isn't waiting his/her turn, and instead, is cutting to the head of the line. In some countries, cutting in line is expected, if not accepted. Here, it violates our sense of fair play. Do motorists also break the law? Of course they do. But speeding, for example, doesn't violate a cultural sense of fair play, unless the speed differential between the speeder and the other motorists is excessive. And besides, in the eyes of a social group, the laws their group violates are not as serious of a violation as the laws the other group violates. "When our group violates the law, we do it because it is safe to break the laws we break, and it is foolish to blindly obey the law when it is safe to break the law. When their group breaks the law, it is unsafe, because the laws they break are unsafe to break, and they should be forced to strictly obey the law."

There are other reasons motorists are "angered" by cyclists.

For example, a Welsh study revealed that under the anger, motorists were actually afraid that they would hit a cyclist, and that fear is expressed as anger directed at cyclists.

There's the stress of being late, and having to wait while some slow-a** guy on a bike gets in their busy way.

There's the residual anger from the last cyclist who cut them off before flipping them off.

And probably many more reasons that I have forgotten to include.
So is it your position that if all cyclists obeyed every law to the letter, that those drivers who hate cyclists will change their minds and now like and respect cyclists?

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 05-25-08, 09:19 AM
invisiblehand
Part-time epistemologist

Bikes: Jamis Nova, Bike Friday triplet, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Hollands Tourer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclaholic
"what exactly is behind nutty motorist rage?"

The same as what's behind smooth motorist rage.... except without the nuts!

Old 05-25-08, 04:38 PM
Blue Order

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by San Rensho
So is it your position that if all cyclists obeyed every law to the letter, that those drivers who hate cyclists will change their minds and now like and respect cyclists?
That is your straw man argument, not my position. It could only be my position if I had argued that the reason motorists hate us is because we break the law. And as anybody can see, I have not argued that the reason motorists hate us is because we break the law. I have argued that breaking the law "confirms" that the negative stereotypes are true, and thus, that the bias against us is legitimate. You even bolded that part of my argument before you pulled your straw man argument out:

But when we live up to the negative stereotypes, we "confirm" (see confirmation bias) that the stereotypes, and thus the underlying bias against us, are legitimately held. The demonization is given legitimacy.
Now, that's not to say that people aren't angered by scofflaw riding (as I noted), whether it's because they have been endangered by it, or because it violates their sense of fair play. However, I have not argued that scofflaw riding is the source of their "hatred" of cyclists, no matter how much you'd like to put those words into my mouth.

Furthermore, I would argue that there is a continuum of feeling about cyclists, ranging from motorists who love cyclists at one extreme, through indifference to cyclists, to annoyance, all the way to downright seething hatred at the other extreme. And that continuum will be a bell curve, with motorists who love cyclists at one extreme and few in number, to motorists with a pathological hatred of cyclists at the other extreme, and few in number. Most motorists will fall into the middle of that bell curve, ranging from mild fondess at one end of the middle, to indifference in the middle, to mild annoyance at the other end of the middle of that bell.

And it is those motorists in the middle, representing the vast majority of motorists, whose opinions will be influenced by their perceptions of our behavior. If we live up to the negative stereotypes, we provide the evidence to support the negative things they hear from the pathological haters at the extreme. That turns them against us. It's the dehumanization that people engage in to justify war, and which has been analyzed in "Faces of the Enemy." We're in a battle for the hearts and minds of the great middle, and when it comes to that battle, we're our own worst enemies. We ourselves supply the ammunition that is used against us by the haters in that battle for the hearts and minds of the middle.

If we counter those negative stereotypes, we undercut the arguments against us. That turns the battle for the hearts and minds of the great middle in our favor.
Old 05-25-08, 07:45 PM
ATAC49er
Banned

Bikes: Pacific hardtail (frame only right now); Weyless SP (frame/fork right now); Jamis Dakar XLT 1.0 custom build-up (fully functional)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ganesha
That puts your birth population near 171 million, which is slightly before Alaska and Hawaii were admitted to the Union, which means the area of the US when up quite a bit. If you are counting US territory then the area has decreased. If you are counting area classically defined as the 50 states then that area is slightly smaller. As the US lost a slight amount of net area in a land swap with Mexico in 1970. The US also agreed to cede ownership of some uninhabited rocks back to the USSR (as part of a treaty that defined a clear maritime boundaries between the two nations).
Hope you had as much fun writing all this as I had reading it..loti (laughing on the inside).

Are you a script consultant for "NUMB3RS", or something?
Old 05-26-08, 08:55 AM
San Rensho 

That is your straw man argument, not my position. It could only be my position if I had argued that the reason motorists hate us is because we break the law. And as anybody can see, I have not argued that the reason motorists hate us is because we break the law. I have argued that breaking the law "confirms" that the negative stereotypes are true, and thus, that the bias against us is legitimate. You even bolded that part of my argument before you pulled your straw man argument out:

Now, that's not to say that people aren't angered by scofflaw riding (as I noted), whether it's because they have been endangered by it, or because it violates their sense of fair play. However, I have not argued that scofflaw riding is the source of their "hatred" of cyclists, no matter how much you'd like to put those words into my mouth.

Furthermore, I would argue that there is a continuum of feeling about cyclists, ranging from motorists who love cyclists at one extreme, through indifference to cyclists, to annoyance, all the way to downright seething hatred at the other extreme. And that continuum will be a bell curve, with motorists who love cyclists at one extreme and few in number, to motorists with a pathological hatred of cyclists at the other extreme, and few in number. Most motorists will fall into the middle of that bell curve, ranging from mild fondess at one end of the middle, to indifference in the middle, to mild annoyance at the other end of the middle of that bell.

And it is those motorists in the middle, representing the vast majority of motorists, whose opinions will be influenced by their perceptions of our behavior. If we live up to the negative stereotypes, we provide the evidence to support the negative things they hear from the pathological haters at the extreme. That turns them against us. It's the dehumanization that people engage in to justify war, and which has been analyzed in "Faces of the Enemy." We're in a battle for the hearts and minds of the great middle, and when it comes to that battle, we're our own worst enemies. We ourselves supply the ammunition that is used against us by the haters in that battle for the hearts and minds of the middle.

If we counter those negative stereotypes, we undercut the arguments against us. That turns the battle for the hearts and minds of the great middle in our favor.
Well, these two statements are contradictory. In the second statement you do admit that law breaking behavior on the part of cyclists will lead to hatred ("turns them against us") among drivers who are "on the fence."

But you still haven't answered my question. Do you believe that if cyclists obeyed al the rules of the road, that drivers that now hate cyclists would change their minds and stop hating cyclists.

1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 05-26-08, 09:01 AM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Just a reminder that the guidelines at BikeForums urge that everyone have respect for other posters, even if we disagree with the other member.

Thanks!

East Hill
Old 05-26-08, 09:06 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Go back and read the whole thing... the law breaking was just a tiny part of it and a visual "affirmation" of the larger feelings behind the situation.

To answer your question, nah, won't make a bit of difference... cyclists will still be seen as "the other."

It was a good write up by Blue Order and I think in some sense some of us celebrate being "the other."
Old 05-26-08, 09:09 AM
Feldman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
Depends on your neighborhood--in mine, drivers are meaner to each other than to any cyclist.
Old 05-26-08, 09:46 AM
San Rensho 

Originally Posted by East Hill
Just a reminder that the guidelines at BikeForums urge that everyone have respect for other posters, even if we disagree with the other member.

Thanks!

East Hill
Is your comment directed to me? If so, please explain.

1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 05-26-08, 10:08 AM
San Rensho 

Originally Posted by genec
Go back and read the whole thing... the law breaking was just a tiny part of it and a visual "affirmation" of the larger feelings behind the situation.

To answer your question, nah, won't make a bit of difference... cyclists will still be seen as "the other."

It was a good write up by Blue Order and I think in some sense some of us celebrate being "the other."
Thank you. I can finally make my point.

So if it makes no difference to drivers how cyclists ride, whether cyclists obey all the laws to the letter or not, some drivers will still have a deep seated hatred for cyclists which will not be changed by anything cyclists do, then you will agree that there is no foundation for the comment that many nanny, finger waggers here on the forum make (and I'm not singling out BO or you Genec) when they chastise cyclists for rolling through a stop sign by writing "Well, if you didn't run stop signs and stop lights, drivers wouldn't hate cyclists. You are the reason drivers hate cyclists, you law breakers!"

1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 05-26-08, 10:19 AM
Pig_Chaser

Bikes: '07 Giant OCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only time I incur any motorist rage is when i'm holding them up. So in the cities when I’m "taking" the lane is prime time for motorist rage. Guess that 5-30 seconds that i hold them up is too much for them.

I ride through an oil-field industrial area (actually my destination). This place is the epicenter for stereotypical rednecks driving big trucks with the testicles swinging from the trailer hitches. Surprisingly, they are amongst the most courteous allowing plenty of passing room and not once have i been harassed on this portion of my ride. However, I never have to hold anyone up during this portion of the ride either as there is usually ample time to pass.
Old 05-26-08, 11:01 AM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Is your comment directed to me? If so, please explain.
No, my comment was not directed at you.

East Hill
Old 05-27-08, 06:07 AM
nagsheadlocal

Bikes: '70 Leopard (Swiss), '70 Raleigh Super Course, '74 Raleigh Super Course II, '73 Raleigh Grand Prix, Schwinn Montague folder, C-dale M-300, C-dale M-400, C-dale R-900, C-dale CAAD-3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pig_Chaser
I ride through an oil-field industrial area (actually my destination). This place is the epicenter for stereotypical rednecks driving big trucks with the testicles swinging from the trailer hitches. Surprisingly, they are amongst the most courteous allowing plenty of passing room and not once have i been harassed on this portion of my ride. However, I never have to hold anyone up during this portion of the ride either as there is usually ample time to pass.
You know, that's been my experience as well - my commute takes me from a farming area into a fairly yuppified town (Chapel Hill NC, actually second only to Cary for yups). I've never had a problem with the working guys in pickups. I guess they figure life is hard enough without being an azzhole to some guy on a bike. The yups in their SUVs, however, that's a different story.

I once had a guy in a Honda Element pull up next to me, roll down the passenger window, and start yelling obscenities. I was pretty surprised. After a while it was apparent he was mad because I had delayed him a bit. The curious thing was that he spent more time pacing me and yelling at me than he had spent behind me. I just stared at him. Guy had such bad karma I just wanted him to drive on.

I was on group ride this weekend and we were talking about this - most of the folks seemed to think that drivers are becoming more used to seeing cyclists now that gas is so expensive and are giving us a bit more room on the road. I tend to agree, things are easing a bit in the ongoing war.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.