Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

If this happens many will go back to cars.......

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

If this happens many will go back to cars.......

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-08, 07:11 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by mr00jimbo
I also don't want people who have to drive to starve or have to tighten their belts over the price of fuel. Taxis, people with kids, people who drive far to work, etc. They all need cars to drive.
Let's explain this is terms you understand. The price of oil is going up due to simple market forces, and of course some people are going to have to "tighten their belt" because of the price of fuel. The vast majority of people with kids or who drive to work don't need to drive, or even need to own cars, they choose to. Nobody told them to live far from work or enrol their kids in schools far from home. If the market tells them their car dependent lifestyle is no longer affordable, they'll change their ways.
Old 06-06-08, 07:36 PM
maddyfish

Bikes: KHS steel SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When has oil ever gone DOWN much more than a few dollars/barrel?
Old 06-06-08, 07:44 PM
Lamplight

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by maddyfish
I think many people don't understand this. In the time since I got my license, only once have gas prices dropped much and stayed there for more than a week or two, and it still didn't last long. The rest of the time, the prices have consistently gone up, yet so many people seem completely surprised that prices keep going up. I don't understand this. I'm also confused by the many very capitalist-minded people I know who want the government to do something about the prices. Quite ironic.
Old 06-06-08, 07:46 PM
Ganesha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddyfish
The mid 80's price collapse. Although don't expect the same forces that created that price collapse to occur again.
Old 06-06-08, 08:13 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

Because builders were reaping huge windfall profits, they rushed to buy and develop land. And sure enough, those new houses were ready just as buyers were retreating to the sidelines because they could no longer afford to buy a home. That vast overhang of unsold homes is what's driving down prices today.

The story is much the same with oil, with a twist. A big swath of the market isn't really paying that $125 a barrel number you hear about seemingly every hour. In China, India and the Middle East, governments are heavily subsidizing oil for their consumers and corporations, leading to rampant over-consumption - and driving up prices even more.

But sooner or later the world won't keep paying those prices: Eventually, the price must fall back to the cost of that last barrel to clear the market.

So what does that barrel cost today? According to Stephen Brown, an economist at the Dallas Federal Reserve, that final barrel costs just $50 to produce. And when the price is $125, the incentive to pour out more oil, like homebuilders' incentive to build more two years ago, is irresistible.

It takes a while to develop new supplies of oil, but the signs of a surge are already in place. Shale oil costing around $70 a barrel is now being produced in the Dakotas. Tar sands are attracting investment in Canada, also at around $70. New technology could soon minimize the pollution caused by producing oil from our super-plentiful supplies of coal.

"History suggests that when there's this much money to be made, new supplies do get developed," says Brown.

That's just the supply side of the equation. Demand should start to decline as well, albeit gradually.

"Historically, the oil market has under-anticipated the amount of conservation brought on by high prices," says Brown. Sales of big cars are collapsing; Americans are cutting down on driving. The airlines are scaling back flights.

We've learned another important lesson from the housing market: The longer prices stay stratospheric, the worse the eventual crash - simply because the higher the prices and bigger the profit margins, the bigger the incentive to over-produce.

It's even possible that, a few years hence, we could see a sustained period of plentiful oil supplies and low prices, meaning $50 or below.

A similar scenario occurred following the price explosion in the 1970s and early 1980s. The price spike caused the world to cut back sharply on oil consumption. By the mid-80s, oil prices had fallen from almost $40 to around $15. They remained extremely low for two decades.

It's impossible to predict how the adjustment this time will take shape, just as it was in housing. There the surge in supply came in places the experts swore there was "no supply," and wouldn't be any. Builders found a way to extend vast tracts of homes into California's Inland Empire and Central Valley, and even build "in-fill" projects near the densely-populated coasts.

An earlier bubble is also instructive. In the early 1980s silver prices jumped from $10 to $50 on the theory that the world was facing a permanent shortage of silver. Suddenly ads appeared asking homeowners to bring their tea sets and jewelry to Holiday Inns for a big price. Silver supplies poured from seemingly nowhere, out of America's cupboards, of all places.

And so it will be with oil. We don't know where the new abundance will come from, from shale, or tar sands or coal or an OPEC desperate to regain market share. We just know that it will appear. With prices like these, it always does."

https://money.cnn.com/2008/06/06/news...ion=2008060610
The article makes many faulty assumptions.

1. They compare the upcoming oil crash very similar to real estate - The problem with this assumption is that there is no glut of oil like in real estate today or tomorrow. OPEC controls the output and they are producing less with each decade. In addition, there is no need for the cartel to lower the price since Europe and Asia will pay whatever it takes to get the oil thus keeping the price high. He also likes to think oil will drop like it did in the 70's and 80's but that was before China started to put 1 million cars on the road. China and India will assure there will be no glut of oil on the market. Ever.

2. The second assumption is that Shale or Tar will save the day and create an abundance -- Wishful thinking. Both of these are expensive and there is no infrastructure for these alternatives. The automakers would have to spend BILLIONS building new vehicles they can't sell because there are no pumps out there who will make room for shale oil. Production, distribution, manufacturing and sales of Shale autos and fuel is nonexistant and no one is going to take the risk. The automakers themselves said they can built hyrdrogen cars but there are no pumps out there. There you go.
Old 06-06-08, 08:53 PM
smurfy

Bikes: Classic lugged-steel road, touring, shopping, semi-recumbent, gravel

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Tightwad
"I heard women in myoffice talking yesterday, "Oh, I'd never ride a bike to work. I'd be all sweaty and its too much work. Who in their right mind would give up their car?". Oh, dear me. ;-)"

Herein lay the problem.
Unfortunately I'm afraid she's right.

Unless her work has shower facilities she would probably arrive at work all sweaty with no way to freshen up, even after a five mile ride in the muggy Midwest weather or hotter-than-hell Texas. Not good for an office worker or those meeting customers or clients. I'm sure this woman might use light rail if it were available. We all can't live in Seattle, Portland, or SF.
Old 06-06-08, 09:24 PM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I don't think people should EVER be forced out of their Hummers, or their Cadillacs, or whatever. I drive a little fuel-efficient Toyota, but the more people driving big SUVs are paying $ for fuel and thus making the roads better with more taxes being dumped. If people stop driving and the fuel tax is insufficient to fix the roads after a hard winter's toll, expect the bike lanes and routes to be full of broken potholes and cause injuries.
Gas taxes don't even pay for half of what it costs to maintain highways, let alone surface roads, which are what most cyclists use anyway. (Most local surface roads are funded with property taxes.) In Washington state, where I live, gas taxes make up 35% of the state's transportation revenue, but 90% of expenses, once you factor out administrative costs, is spent on car infrastructure (road maintenance, road construction, and the ferry system, which primarily serves people with cars). SUV drivers are not subsidizing transportation for the rest of us; it's very much the other way around. If masses of people decide to start driving a lot less, the sky will not fall. Roads will cost less to maintain, we'll have to build fewer of them, and we'll have more money for other, more efficient forms of transportation.
Old 06-06-08, 10:02 PM
Surferbruce

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
one of Osama bin Laden's wishes, and benchmarks for the downfall of America was (is) oil hitting 200$ a barrel. even 6 months ago that seemed far far off. now, it seems inevitable.
god forbid another natural disaster or two knock out a couple refineries, we'll be right there.
Old 06-06-08, 10:48 PM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by smurfy

Unless her work has shower facilities she would probably arrive at work all sweaty with no way to freshen up, even after a five mile ride in the muggy Midwest weather or hotter-than-hell Texas. Not good for an office worker or those meeting customers or clients. I'm sure this woman might use light rail if it were available. We all can't live in Seattle, Portland, or SF.
Excuse me, but that's a crock of sh*t. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but climate is no excuse. Boulder, CO has cold, snowy winters and hellishly hot summers, and people use bikes like crazy there, all year long. And it's not like SF, Portland or Seattle are ideal climates for bicycling, either, fer Chrissakes. Here in Seattle, I've arrived at work dripping wet on least two dozen occasions during the last six months. It rains like crazy, and there are steep hills everywhere you turn. During the winter, it's quite cold, and it snows several times a year, too. I'm totally car-free, and I work in a professional job. My solution? I dress for the weather, have waterproof bags, leave a few minutes early, pop into a restroom when I get to work, and make myself presentable before I actually start working. Almost no one else at my workplace uses a bicycle, but they accept my choice because I'm nice, I do my job well, and I refrain from making a big deal about it. And there's a culture here that accepts bicycling as almost normal. But that culture didn't just pop up from the ether. It came about because enough people decided they were going to ride their bikes, dammit, come hell or high water, and then others followed their example. Ghandi and Kevin Costner were right: Be the change you want to see in the world, and they will come.
Old 06-07-08, 12:15 AM
Black Bud
One Tough Cookie.

Bikes: Too many and not ENOUGH!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, dear. More "enviro" claptrap reporting: "Gas prices are going through the roof! The sky is falling and we all have to live like some poor African farmer in his mudhole farm or the Earth will die or we will "run out" of energy if we don't buy into unreliable "alternative sources" us Enviros profit from right now. Whichever comes first."

Nonsense:

1.) Business runs in cycles. The real estate bubble's "bursting" really has more to do with too many people being told that they need to buy a house they cannot afford and too many greedy people who were willing to lend money to "marginal" borrowers. A situation ripe for an "implosion" as the ones who should never have been able to buy because they could not afford to pay the real costs of homeownership are indeed going under and taking the greedy lenders along with them!

All the builders were doing were trying to respond to a need for product and the necessary delay in getting it out caught them out when the demand went away. Too bad; that's business.

2. If fuel gets "too expensive", the efficiencies in fuel use will come and/or REAL, VIABLE newer sources of energy will be found and tapped. Business will develop these without a subsidy because they will have to to stay profitable! In turn, that will pass down to most people eventually. That's the way it has worked in the past. Why the "rent-seeking" for those with methods and energy sources that cannot work over a wider area than one African village now? If the methods I have seen pushed so far were indeed so earth-shakingly great and wonderful, why have they not succeeded to date?

Business is not stupid: If the new ways and sources of power/fuel were so great and would add to their profitability, they would have adopted them by now. Yes, fuel prices are a literal pain in the pocketbook and some really suffer for it. However, whining about modern transportation and business cycles instead of trying to find ways to ease the pain for those who are suffering the most without making political pawns out of them does nothing but waste a valuable source of energy if it were but tapped: Hot air.

My discussion board, another resource for the "utility" and commuter cyclist: "Two Wheeled Commuter: The Everyday Cyclist"
Old 06-07-08, 12:24 AM
Black Bud
One Tough Cookie.

Bikes: Too many and not ENOUGH!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Indeed. I do bike commute but I can see her point: It's not always "doable", especially if one lives more than a few miles from work and in an urban area. As for those who say "just sponge-off and change in the restroom when you get there"? All fine and dandy...but most work places these days allow barely enough room to hang one's coat once one gets there, never mind sweaty bike clothes or a "change" of business dress. If it's not a "casual" dress environment, the chances of being able to get truly "presentable" and NOT tick the boss off may not be all that good.

And where would one PARK the bike? A lot of places allow exactly zero possibilities of this...unless one wants one's bike stolen.

And if the employee needs to go out "on the road"? The business may well require the employee use their own car and reimburse expenses; "fleet vehicles" may well have been one of the first things to "go" when the last set of "expense reductions" were made if they ever were available at all. And, no, "light-rail" or the bus will NOT always "do" when one needs to meet a client unless one is running one's own business and one's client base accepts one's "eccentricity" in transportation methods.

My discussion board, another resource for the "utility" and commuter cyclist: "Two Wheeled Commuter: The Everyday Cyclist"
Old 06-07-08, 01:48 AM
mr00jimbo
Information seeker

Bikes: none right now!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let's explain this is terms you understand. The price of oil is going up due to simple market forces, and of course some people are going to have to "tighten their belt" because of the price of fuel. The vast majority of people with kids or who drive to work don't need to drive, or even need to own cars, they choose to. Nobody told them to live far from work or enrol their kids in schools far from home. If the market tells them their car dependent lifestyle is no longer affordable, they'll change their ways.
Please don't patronize me.
Some parents do need to drive their kids. How do you expect to, if your kid has ____ practice, say hockey, transport a ten year old with a giant duffel bag of equipment?
Things happen. Situations like divorces move people further away due to afford ability, making their commute longer.
I can think of many reasons to need a car. I can also say nobody should ever be required to justify their requirement for a car.
Do you need food? Because the price of that is going to go up with the price of fuel. Unless you think magic little fairies bring it to the grocery store.
The cost of living will go up. People will undoubtedly have to make hard sacrifices. Ones that will make them unhappy. I would like people to be happy.

Gas taxes don't even pay for half of what it costs to maintain highways, let alone surface roads, which are what most cyclists use anyway. (Most local surface roads are funded with property taxes.) In Washington state, where I live, gas taxes make up 35% of the state's transportation revenue, but 90% of expenses, once you factor out administrative costs, is spent on car infrastructure (road maintenance, road construction, and the ferry system, which primarily serves people with cars). SUV drivers are not subsidizing transportation for the rest of us; it's very much the other way around. If masses of people decide to start driving a lot less, the sky will not fall. Roads will cost less to maintain, we'll have to build fewer of them, and we'll have more money for other, more efficient forms of transportation.
Depending on where you live, where I am gas is about equivalent to 1.50 a gallon in pure tax. Cars are not the driving force behind road disintegration. Weather is; say the road gets cracked, ice freezes and spreads the crack and then the weight of use makes it worst.
All governments tend to be hopelessly inefficient with budgets.

Last edited by mr00jimbo; 06-07-08 at 01:53 AM.
Old 06-07-08, 02:13 AM
HoustonB
Βanned.

Bikes: 1976 Dawes Galaxy, 1993 Trek 950 Single Track and Made-to-Measure Reynolds 753 road bike with Campag throughout.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some parents do need to drive their kids. How do you expect to, if your kid has ____ practice, say hockey, transport a ten year old with a giant duffel bag of equipment?
Things happen. Situations like divorces move people further away due to afford ability, making their commute longer.
I can think of many reasons to need a car. I can also say nobody should ever be required to justify their requirement for a car.
Do you need food? Because the price of that is going to go up with the price of fuel. Unless you think magic little fairies bring it to the grocery store.
The cost of living will go up. People will undoubtedly have to make hard sacrifices. Ones that will make them unhappy. I would like people to be happy. It's too bad for you if it makes you frustrated that people have the right to drive a vehicle that runs on gas.
Do you seriously consider it morally acceptable to prioritize the choice of one family to drive their kid to hockey practice, over the right of another family's kid to breath clean air and not be subject to chronic respiratory ailments?

Driving is not, and never has been a right, it is a privilege afforded to people at the expense of other people and the planet, where those other people include tribes in remote parts of the planet that know nothing of the car driving peoples disgusting selfish attitude, but those tribes will likely suffer from the Global Climate Change that the car drivers contribute to.

Last edited by HoustonB; 06-09-08 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-07-08, 03:52 AM
mike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree with many other BF.C members here - gas prices are going to continue to rise. The article is a fun read, but it is fantasy. Gas prices aren't coming down - why would they?

Prices have jumped 23% in the past year with only a 2% reduction in demand? Any good business person will tell you that is a big touchdown. As a businessman, looking at those numbers, I would be encouraged to continue to raise prices until I found the threshhold of pain where demand started to really drop off.

My guess is that for the USA, that price where demand is greatly influenced by price will be in the $8.00 per gallon range. It won't keep most people off the road, but it will encourage many people to make driving use changes and consider alternative transportation.

We have a long way to go from today's $4.00 per gallon to $8.00 a gallon, but I think we will be there in about three years.
Old 06-07-08, 04:09 AM
Gudeman

Bikes: 2004 Trek 4300, 2008 Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Platy
I'm seeing a big upswing in transportational cyclists here in Austin. (If they're carrying a backpack or any other kind of load, I classify them as transportational.) Not that Austin ever lacked for cyclists, but it's unusual to see so many of them out after the weather turns hot.
Over the last week the bike rack here in Indiana has gone from 1 bike (mine) to 5 bikes.

Over bike to work week, I asked facilities services to replace the rusted out bike rack as a celebration of the week. They said the would look into it and maybe budget it for next year.
Old 06-07-08, 06:47 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Buglady
I got stuck on the part where they compared a non-renewable, finite natural resource with imaginary things (tech stocks) and a manfactured item (houses). It does not work the same way...
Agreed...I wondered about that aspect of it too.

Originally Posted by Tabor
Well, a house is manufactured out of finite resources, just like gasoline is.

That said, I don't see how there could be an oil bubble. Oil bubble? With what money? Where would you put the oil?
Trees/lumber if managed correctly ARE NOT a finite resource, I can grow more trees, gasoline not so. Also I can recycle building materials (and do) but once you burn a gallon of gas it is GONE. I can't fix it up and sell it to someone else. IMHO houses are tangible, gasoline/oil is more of an intangible, you sell one time and one time only. If you don't use it to produce something useful you will have nothing to show for your spending.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 06-07-08, 07:00 AM
politicalgeek
Peace, Love, Bikes

Bikes: Schwinn Le Tour III

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Bud
And if the employee needs to go out "on the road"? The business may well require the employee use their own car and reimburse expenses; "fleet vehicles" may well have been one of the first things to "go" when the last set of "expense reductions" were made if they ever were available at all. And, no, "light-rail" or the bus will NOT always "do" when one needs to meet a client unless one is running one's own business and one's client base accepts one's "eccentricity" in transportation methods.
It's hard to tell someone else how to live. The "on the road" argument is pretty valid. I hope to be car free, once I get settled in the new apartment, by September. That is if I am still at my current job. I may be switching jobs, which looks like it would require out of office trips to parts of the city. May still ditch the car and trade it off for a scooter/motorcycle for those off times.
Old 06-07-08, 07:33 AM
murphstahoe

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Gary Fisher Sugar, Lemond Buenos Aires, Ritchey Breakaway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Will it be acceptable to be sweaty when meeting clients if the clients themselves are sweaty? I mean, seriously, is it only "I" that has to drive to work to meet some mystical client who rides in on a magic carpet?
Old 06-07-08, 08:21 AM
Lamplight

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by bragi
Excuse me, but that's a crock of sh*t. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but climate is no excuse. Boulder, CO has cold, snowy winters and hellishly hot summers, and people use bikes like crazy there, all year long. And it's not like SF, Portland or Seattle are ideal climates for bicycling, either, fer Chrissakes. Here in Seattle, I've arrived at work dripping wet on least two dozen occasions during the last six months. It rains like crazy, and there are steep hills everywhere you turn. During the winter, it's quite cold, and it snows several times a year, too. I'm totally car-free, and I work in a professional job. My solution? I dress for the weather, have waterproof bags, leave a few minutes early, pop into a restroom when I get to work, and make myself presentable before I actually start working.
I am fortunate that I have a job where being sweaty isn't considered offensive, but I can certainly understand how it would turn most people off to bike commuting. It's already summer here in Tennessee, and will be until the beginning of October. That means that after leaving my house at 6:30am and riding just 3 miles to work, it would take me a good 30 minutes to cool down in an air conditioned room with a glass of ice water. And that's with a morning temperature of only 70 degrees. Yes, it's that humid here. In August it will be around 90 on my ride in, and cooling off after that is not as simple as changing clothes and freshening up with a cool, damp towel. The heat is actually more tolerable later in the day as the humidity dies down, even when the temperature is well over 100. Riding to work when it's 90 with 85% humidity is considerably worse than riding home the same day when it's 110 with 28% humidity.
Old 06-07-08, 09:33 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Food is a need. Hockey practise is a choice.

The energy market is changing fast. Car drivers have been subsidized for years by "free" roads and highways, market value property taxes where suburbanites who consume the most municipal services pay less than the downtowners who consume less, and by not being held accountable for the costs they generate in policing, other people's respiratory ailments, and in Vancouver, other people's MVA trauma health care costs. As an apparent fiscal conservative you should be outraged that the market has been distorted and people encouraged to waste resources through urban sprawl thanks to government intervention. Now that more of the true cost is being passed on to the consumer, and people are being forced by the market place to reconsider their choices, you should be thrilled that market corrections are going to lead to conservation.

Last edited by cooker; 06-07-08 at 10:14 AM.
Old 06-07-08, 10:10 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by Black Bud
And if the employee needs to go out "on the road"? The business may well require the employee use their own car and reimburse expenses
If they reimburse expenses, no problem. The high price of gas for a business traveller is a cost of doing business, as it should be.
Old 06-07-08, 10:45 AM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lamplight
It's already summer here in Tennessee, and will be until the beginning of October. That means that after leaving my house at 6:30am and riding just 3 miles to work, it would take me a good 30 minutes to cool down in an air conditioned room with a glass of ice water. And that's with a morning temperature of only 70 degrees. Yes, it's that humid here. In August it will be around 90 on my ride in, and cooling off after that is not as simple as changing clothes and freshening up with a cool, damp towel. The heat is actually more tolerable later in the day as the humidity dies down, even when the temperature is well over 100. Riding to work when it's 90 with 85% humidity is considerably worse than riding home the same day when it's 110 with 28% humidity.
Once upon a time in your part of Tennessee, it was acceptable for people to be sweaty. I have a feeling that at some point in the next several years, it will become acceptable once again.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 06-07-08, 11:05 AM
TuckertonRR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like to go for a nice cruise and open up the throttle on the highway or drive down a twisty road. I also like to go for a bike ride and feel the air on my face and in my hair. I think I should be able to do both without people trying to force me out.
Sounds like a Chevy commercial....

I also don't want people who have to drive to starve or have to tighten their belts over the price of fuel. Taxis, people with kids, people who drive far to work, etc. They all need cars to drive.

If we wish hard enough, it just might come true!!! Sounds like a Walt Disney animation...

IMO we live in a free choice society (or should, it is the ideal way) and that people should be free to make choices without being forced into them.
Was it _really_ "free choice" when General Motors, Ford, et al got to use rights of way for free (ie; roads) while other modes of transport (trolleys & railroads) had to pay for & maintain & pay taxes on their rights-of-way? Was it free choice for a GM subsidiary to buy up over a hundred cities' trolley systems, tear them up, sell them off, and substitute diesel buses instead?

[QUOTE=mr00jimbo;6833893]Socialist countries tax the hell out of gas. How would you feel if any time you bought a new bicycle part, it was 900% tax to make up for the road usage fee?

Ideally gas would be fine at 2.80 per gallon. That way I can ride my bike for recreational purposes, and use my car when I needed to, but still not starve. [/QUOTE]

1. Where is there in the world that has a 900% tax? Sources, please. Where do you come up with that?

2. So you're starving. But you can afford to look at and write on the internet??

Last edited by TuckertonRR; 06-07-08 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-07-08, 11:16 AM
TuckertonRR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donnamb
Once upon a time in your part of Tennessee, it was acceptable for people to be sweaty. I have a feeling that at some point in the next several years, it will become acceptable once again.
People will have to get used to seasonal changes again & dress accordingly. No more long white t-shirts in the middle of winter or big huge fur coats in the summertime trying to look "cool". Right now, weather & the seasons don't really affect us a whole lot in the "1st world". Go back 100 years, people were much more in-tune with, adjusted for, and prepared for the change of seasons. We may have to just return to those days. It may be a big shock for some people. But it won't be the "end of the world".
Old 06-07-08, 11:23 AM
gascostalot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will we finally be rid of suits and and ties?!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.