Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Carbon - is it worth it for a first road bike?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-15, 07:04 PM
DogBrain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I started riding a Specialized Sirrus hybrid earlier this year, and have gotten hooked on road biking. I average about 14 mph on 20-mile rides. I am now about to pull the trigger on buying my first road bike. The two LBS have Specialized and Cannondale, so I have test ridden both a CAAD8 and Allez. When test riding the Allez over the same segments, I broke a number of my PRs by 2-4 mph.

I was almost settled on the Allez Elite (Tiagra). The geometry of the Tarmac is the same, and after talking to the guys in the shop, I'm thinking I might stretch the budget and bump up to carbon for the supposed added compliance that carbon gives to the ride. Unfortunately, there were no Tarmacs in my size to try.

My boss, AKA financial planner, AKA wife says I can get a new bike as long as I don't make anymore large bike purchases for the next 5 years, so this is it for a while, which is another reason I'm thinking of going all out now and going straight to Tarmac. I ride about 30-60 miles per week now with 31 miles being my biggest ride. I plan to do the occasional 40 - 75 miler. So without even considering the component difference, just ride feel, my questions for you all:
  • Will the carbon make enough of a difference to spend the extra 500-600 dollars?
  • Until my fitness level goes up, will I look like the full-on FRED, who provides the ego boost to all who get to say, "I smoked some guy on a Tarmac!"?
  • Is the shame of being the above said FRED, worth the wait of "growing" into the bike so I can go ahead and have it now? (If I'm really speedy after two years, remember, I won't be able to upgrade yet.)

Would really appreciate your opinions and/or lashings of realism.
Old 09-09-15, 07:28 PM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
No.
Old 09-09-15, 07:39 PM
mawashi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you can't make a big purchase in the next 5 years I can see some issues you'll be facing.

1. You get good enough that a cheap-ish bike might become a sore point.... you want, no need to replace it asap lol.
2. 5 years is a long time in biking, you'll need to make sure you get a lifetime warranty in case you have issues with the fork or frame.
3. Get a firm commitment from your lbs on free servicing for as long as possible.

You might want to consider steel as well as you can get a really decent bike at prices better than most carbon and some alu frames.
The new 2016 models are out so be on the lookout for clearance 2015 n 2014 models.
Old 09-09-15, 07:42 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Yes.
Old 09-09-15, 07:43 PM
bt
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
maybe
Old 09-09-15, 07:50 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Most likely.
Old 09-09-15, 07:54 PM
bobbyl1966

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
what is better in ride the cannondale or the specialized? One sales person at LBS is show me the aluminium specialized elite and tell me this is the best aluminium road bike. is truth that?
Old 09-09-15, 07:56 PM
cale

Bikes: Kuota Ksano. Litespeed T5 gravel - brilliant!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Get the carbon Tarmac. You'll be kicking yourself later if you don't.
Old 09-09-15, 08:17 PM
nastystang

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 2015 Specialized Tarmac Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its a great bike just got a 2015 Tarmac Sport. 11 speed 105 is really good and the bike is really a nice ride. I bought aluminum and wanted carbon. The aluminum was really nice but I have a thing for carbon now that I have ridden it a while. Find one to test ride and compare it to the Allez.
Old 09-09-15, 08:22 PM
jtaylor996
INSERT_TITLE_HERE

Bikes: 2016 Cannondale Synapse 105, 2016 Salsa Pony Rustler X01

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 3053 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 38 Posts
I just ordered my first road bike. C'dale carbon synapse. I'm coming from a c'dale hybrid. I have NO​ regrets.
Old 09-09-15, 08:35 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Get a caad10 or caad12. The end
Old 09-09-15, 08:44 PM
Mayberry32

Bikes: Focus Izalco Pro road bike, Jamis Dragon 29er Hardtail Mtn Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the same dilemma and almost went with an aluminum frame. I still ride a steel hardtail 29er mtn bike, so I'm not a weight weenie by any means. I happened to find a few prior model year carbon bikes and took them out for a test ride, just to see how they felt. I fell in love. So, I decided I wanted a carbon bike. I considered one of the new closeout bikes, but then ran across a very nice used Focus Izalco Pro with full Ultegra components for about the same price. After having 3 different bike shops check it out, I was satisfied it was in great condition. Carbon still scares me to death, strength and durability-wise. I still don't think I'd buy a carbon mountain bike for myself. I'm 6'1", 205 lbs and pretty rough on bikes. But, for road bikes, I don't think I'd ever go back. This thing is amazing. All this to say, 1) Yes, carbon is worth the extra money...if you ride it and love the feel of it, and 2) Looking for a closeout or gently used bike can make it much easier to find a great bike for a great price. I bought a 1.5 yr old carbon bike with full Ultegra, in very good shape and only about 600 total miles on it for under $1300. Deals are out there if you spend some time looking.
Old 09-09-15, 09:39 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by cale
Get the carbon Tarmac. You'll be kicking yourself later if you don't.
Something to be said for this. I'd vote carbon too, but I'd also see if you can swing 105. I'm sure the new Tiagra is dandy, but a carbon bike with 105 leaves little room for regret...
Old 09-09-15, 09:44 PM
cwar

Bikes: BH RC1, Bianchi Volpe, Orbea Avant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get the carbon, you won't regret it.
Old 09-09-15, 10:02 PM
MagicHour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Ideally you could test ride a Tarmac and an Allez to compare. Agree try to step up to 105 5800 if you can-"upgrade fever" could strike and you may end up paying more than you would've initially.
Old 09-09-15, 10:37 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
See, your problem is - not all carbon is made the same. Lower level carbon tends to be less vibration absorbing and comfortable than more expensive carbon. I don't know what it's like in the current generation of Tarmac's - there's a good chance that an entry level Tarmac is similar to an upper level Allez, but not as good as a mid or top level Tarmac.

I'm not as familiar with the Tarmacs, but a Trek Emonda entry level ($1600 or so) is a decent ride, whereas as Trek Emonda one carbon grade up ($2600) is the smoothest bike I've ever ridden, and I test rode around 15 bikes last summer.

So...I cannot say at all just based on "aluminum vs carbon" I'm afraid. Maybe someone else has experience with an Allez vs entry level Tarmac from this year.
Old 09-09-15, 10:50 PM
greenlight149

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
90% of the comfort on a bike is determined by the tires and saddle. 100% of the speed is determined by your legs....bikes dont ride themselves.

Honestly, sometimes i forget that i have a carbon bike, thats how little difference it actually makes.

In other words, "upgrading" to a carbon bike in a few years time will not make you faster. Since you cant upgrade for 5 years, just buy the carbon so you don't regret not getting it.
Old 09-09-15, 11:02 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
I agree that lower end carbon bikes aren't that sweet a deal. You often get lower end components to pay for the carbon. I didn't see which model Tarmac you are being offered. How does the weight of these two bikes compare? How is the ride? One thing to consider is that one of the better upgrades is a lighter set of wheels. And wheels can be transferred to newer bikes (depending on gearing changes). You might consider the Allez and a wheel upgrade. You definitely should ride both bikes. And tire pressure can make a difference in road feel so make sure that the tires on all bikes you test ride have similar pressures. It's not fair to compare 85 psi vs 105 psi on two different bikes.
Old 09-09-15, 11:07 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
That Tarmac is a nice bike.
Old 09-09-15, 11:10 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cwar
Get the carbon, you won't regret it.
You'll regret getting a low end carbon frame with 105 when you realize you could have had high end aluminum with Ultegra for the same price
Old 09-09-15, 11:11 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
It might not matter that much,

since upgrade-itis is a very real condition (as evidenced by your time line so far).

If you continue to get into cycling, the equation will tend to include increased overall happiness, fitness, self esteem, & probably performance in bed, as well as money spent. The boss will notice these things.

That said, if you get this bike with 105 components, you won't regret it.
Old 09-09-15, 11:35 PM
HornedFrog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i really dunno. i've been on my second-tier entry level aluminum bike for 5 years now, and when i ride it it feels fine to me... but i just spent a week riding in colorado and rented an entry level giant. absolutely nothing fancy about it at all, aluminum frame, 105...but it was the proper size where my bike is a size too small but i've made it work.

the giant felt like it was in another league than mine, smoother, more comfortable, better power transfer. i could absolutely tell the difference and had i test ridden that back to back with my bike 5 years ago it would have been an easy decision.

i think this year i'm going to upgrade to a caad12 as well as build a steel bike from the frameset. carbon doesn't really interest me because i've seen how good even an aluminum frame can be. i figure i can go to the top of the line aluminum frame and be satisfied for years.
Old 09-09-15, 11:48 PM
pacificaslim
Surf Bum

Bikes: Lapierre Pulsium 500 FdJ, Ritchey breakaway cyclocross, vintage trek mtb.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I'd get the Tarmac. You should be able to find a 2015 with 105 group for like $1800.

I suspect you're going to want to upgrade within five years: either to a new bike, or a more agreeable financial planner.
Old 09-10-15, 12:17 AM
TobinH

Bikes: Marinoni Piuma, Boulder All-Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carbon makes zero difference, modern aluminum bikes are very good. Tiagra is also fine. Buy the bike that fits you the best - you seem to like the Allez - and have fun riding it.
Old 09-10-15, 02:02 AM
AlanManley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've just bought my first road bike upgrading from a Whyte Malvern 2014 Hybrid to a Trek Domane 2.3. 2016 model. This years model is now retailed at £1000.00 and compared to last years tag of £1300.00 for practically the same bike it seemed a steal.

I did my first commute today. Shaved 5 minutes and beat most of my PB's on Strava including adding two top ten rankings...

Mines an aluminum frame as the carbon was a bit more and couldn't warrant it at the moment. I don't regret my purchase at all. Love it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.