Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How Long Will the LBS Be Around?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-16, 03:12 AM
vanguardx3
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought a new road bike last year, and visited shops just about every weekend for a couple of months.

I was shocked by how few patrons these stores had. Often, I was the only patron in the shop. Even during a "busy" saturday morning, there were almost always more employees on the floor than customers.

My personal experiences tend to jibe with industry data:

Why Are Bicycle Sales Declining (for the 14th year)? | streets.mn

Bike shop visits down sharply, report says | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News

Where Have All The Bike Shops Gone? | RKP

Just a few key stats:

More than 1 in 3 bike shops have closed their doors in the past 15 years

Between 2012 and 2014, customers who visited an lbs and bought from a big box increased 117%

In that same time, customers who visited an lbs and bought a bike from an lbs declined by 20%.

Sobering stats. The articles have lots of reasons for the decline of the industry, too much to summarize here.
Old 01-30-16, 05:43 AM
K.Katso
Gold Member

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8, Pinarello Bolide, Argon 18 E-118, Bianchi Oltre, Cervelo S1, Wilier Pista

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd like to be able to give them more of my business, but sometimes it's just not practical. For example, I go to the shop because I need a part or an article of clothing. They tell me "we don't have it in stock, but we can order it." OK, so can I. I can also get it quicker and for a lower price from a big online retailer. I realize that keeping around a lot of inventory in house isn't a great idea for a small business. I wouldn't mind having them order it if they could get it to me in a reasonable amount of time. However that's usually not the case. I think they are most often let down by their distributors, with delivery times of a week or more for something that I can have shipped to my door overnight. Shimano usually screws my LBS like this-- it always seems to take a week for my LBS to get something from them, and they're the distributor for a lot of other brands too. This is really not something I can tolerate if I need something before a certain date, like an upcoming race for example. So I buy online, and they lose the sale.

Last edited by K.Katso; 01-30-16 at 06:12 AM.
Old 01-30-16, 05:48 AM
TriDanny47

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Change is the only constant....

my opinion is there will always be the need for a physical shop of some type because bikes are something many people won't or can't service themselves for time or lack of skills factors. On the sales end pressure is higher.

i could certainly see the "category killer" large chain store such as a Performance or something franchised take over a lot of the market from true mom and pops IF the overall market is there (I have no clue). Happened with so many categories already - look at how local office supply stores went extinct in the 80s/90s with the rise of OfficeMax and Staples.
Old 01-30-16, 05:55 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't think this phenomenon is unique to bicycle shops. Similar stats - perhaps more surprising stats - might be found for all kinds of consumer goods and business products. If someone is indifferent to service and just wants an "off the shelf" bike (essentially a commodity), then a big box store or the internet is definitely the way to go, because small shops provide no real value in that arrangement.

Until we all get robots, and wrenches can be turned over the internet, local bike shops will be viable as providers of service at the very least. As far as complete bike sales go, they may become little more than showrooms, and there may come a day when whatever bikes are on the floor of small local shops are all demos only, not for sale until they've completed their scheduled availability.

(edit add) It just occurred to me: if I were to open a service-oriented bike shop, I'd want to keep a number of clean, solid "loaner" bikes and several mid- and up-market demo bikes, so customers could always leave the shop with something to ride. Come in for service and take one of the other bikes out. I'd encourage good customers to take the nicest ones out. Need us to fix that wheel now, sir? Give us 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile, since there's nowhere for you to wait, why don't you take that Helium SL out for a spin? It's your size.

Last edited by kbarch; 01-30-16 at 06:08 AM.
Old 01-30-16, 06:17 AM
vinnyvincent

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it keeps them on their toes, so it's a double edge sword. When I was recently shopping for a bike, I went to several of the "good" shops around here only to be met with a strange phenomenon that I learned was "bike snobs". I also read several reviews where if you didn't purchase a bike from them for multiple thousands of dollars, they pretty much refuse to, or quote a ridiculously high price for service.

I ended up going to bikes direct, but there is a bike barn near my house. I take it in there for maintenance and they are great! No matter what I bring it in for or how little it costs, so far they always go the extra mile and lube/adjust everything, or at least look it over for free.

I think if they were a lot more comfortable with more customers than they could handle I wouldn't get such service and as has been pointed out, there will always be a need.
Old 01-30-16, 07:34 AM
Inpd

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perhaps they have themselves to blame.

Originally Posted by vinnyvincent
I went to several of the "good" shops around here only to be met with a strange phenomenon that I learned was "bike snobs". I also read several reviews where if you didn't purchase a bike from them for multiple thousands of dollars, they pretty much refuse to, or quote a ridiculously high price for service.d.
I experience what you experienced see https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...se-my-lbs.html in no fewer than six stores.

I think this idea of gravitating to the high end customers is doomed to fail because they will all be competing for a very small number of people.
Old 01-30-16, 07:43 AM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
In my opinion, the problem will continue until the LBS (or other businesses too) learn the value of customer service. When a shop gives you the feeling that your business is important and appreciated, you will return again. Too many shops come off arrogant and impersonal, making you feel like you are bothering them, or worse yet, making them do their job. It's a eerie feeling that makes me wish I had gone somewhere else.

LBS's, if you want your business to grow, let your customers know that you appreciate that they chose to come to your shop, rather than someone else's!
Old 01-30-16, 07:50 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch

(edit add) It just occurred to me: if I were to open a service-oriented bike shop, I'd want to keep a number of clean, solid "loaner" bikes and several mid- and up-market demo bikes, so customers could always leave the shop with something to ride. Come in for service and take one of the other bikes out. I'd encourage good customers to take the nicest ones out. Need us to fix that wheel now, sir? Give us 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile, since there's nowhere for you to wait, why don't you take that Helium SL out for a spin? It's your size.
Nice idea.. here in NYC area it's very frustrating in that the nearby LBSs don't often even take appointments. If I want a tune-up package or a bit more done, I bring in the bike, it goes in the queue ("we've got a backlog; ready in 3-4 days"). Even though what I need done maybe takes them 2 hours to do, I can't instead schedule a 2-hour service appointment 3-4 days from now, so that I dont have to be without the bike for 3-4 days.
Old 01-30-16, 08:03 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,621 Times in 2,124 Posts
I still need them for installing BB30s and such and then warrantying them when they start creaking.

Old 01-30-16, 08:16 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
I use two great ones. One stocks pretty much all sizes and allows long test rides of everything they sell. They have complete stock of all gear and clothes. They also have multiple mechanics so you can walk in and get your bike, provided you bought it from them, repaired on the spot. It has grown from one to three locations.

The other doubled in size/space for the same reasons. They are the best fitter anywhere. They also just opened another location that does just fittings.

So there's a demand if they cater to what customers want.
Old 01-30-16, 08:21 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by NYMXer
In my opinion, the problem will continue until the LBS (or other businesses too) learn the value of customer service.
However, it does go both ways, and that is what it gets hard for people t get used to. Customer service has value, as such, it needs to be measurable and paid for.

I sometimes wonder how a service centre with a "we dont sell anything" sales consultant would work. The consultant would be to do nothing but assist you in ordering an, if needed, to help you order, a good bike, and accessories for you.

I would go like this: "OK, based on our conversation and the measurements we made, I recommend one of the following (show something form BD, BI and maybe Nashbar, remember, you don't work for any of them, you work for the client). Would you like that shipped to our shop to be assembled, or directly to your home? And here is the bill for our service fee . . . "

Or a short conversation; customer breezes in and wants a couple of water bottles, no branding labels and a thorn resistant tube, that conversation wont take long, the conversation ends with "ok, do you want that shipped to your house or do you want to pick that up here tomorrow. Thats a a $2 service fee either way"

I personally think people would resist it once they realized that using another persons working hours needs to be compensated. Further, in short order, the store would start stocking "common" items.

Frankly, I have an MBA and I think it is a bad business model; at the same time I would like to see someone try it so there could be an actual case study.
Old 01-30-16, 08:27 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11975 Post(s)
Liked 6,655 Times in 3,486 Posts
There will always be bicycle shops. Supply and demand will determine the market the way it always has. The bicycle boons of the 70s and the Lance era spurred the growth of the market. Now it's settling out until the next boon and/or next Lance.
Old 01-30-16, 08:29 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Originally Posted by BillyD
There will always be bicycle shops. Supply and demand will determine the market the way it always has. The bicycle boons of the 70s and the Lance era spurred the growth of the market. Now it's settling out until the next boon and/or next Lance.
Pretty much agree, the fact that a bike, properly stored, lasts almost forever, makes it a hard business.
Old 01-30-16, 08:42 AM
Robert C

Originally Posted by vanguardx3
I bought a new road bike last year, and visited shops just about every weekend for a couple of months.

I was shocked by how few patrons these stores had. Often, I was the only patron in the shop. Even during a "busy" saturday morning, there were almost always more employees on the floor than customers.

My personal experiences tend to jibe with industry data:

Why Are Bicycle Sales Declining (for the 14th year)? | streets.mn
That first article made a number of good points. I ride my bike daily, for transportation. The problem isn't that the author is not right; the problem is that it might not be good business.

In a very short summary of the suggestions:
1) Sell the idea of riding for transportation.
2) Do everything you can to make bicycling in your neighborhood and sales area comfortable and safe for normal average people.
3) Sell bicycles that work for average people.
4A) Hide your inner cyclist
4B) Put bicycle fraternity accessories in a corner or separate room

Imagine if car dealers only sold recreational cars. Cars for racing and off-roading. Cars not really suited to daily use. If part of every sale included a lecture on the need to buy and wear a helmet and safety vest and take a class on repair and maintenance? If your car came without lights or locks or fenders or anywhere to carry anything home from the store. And if it were suggested that you HTFU and learn to operate your car among 200 mph trains.
All that said, something I rally liked at the bike shops in China was that on Saturday and Sunday the shops would lead rides. Different shops had different styles of rides and the bike ridden did not need to come from that shop.
Old 01-30-16, 09:02 AM
kbarch

Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vinnyvincent
I think it keeps them on their toes, so it's a double edge sword. When I was recently shopping for a bike, I went to several of the "good" shops around here only to be met with a strange phenomenon that I learned was "bike snobs". I also read several reviews where if you didn't purchase a bike from them for multiple thousands of dollars, they pretty much refuse to, or quote a ridiculously high price for service.

I ended up going to bikes direct, but there is a bike barn near my house. I take it in there for maintenance and they are great! No matter what I bring it in for or how little it costs, so far they always go the extra mile and lube/adjust everything, or at least look it over for free.

I think if they were a lot more comfortable with more customers than they could handle I wouldn't get such service and as has been pointed out, there will always be a need.
There's something to be said for catering to different markets, your Bike Barns along with your HTFU Breakaway Shops. I don't think anyone would take their 20 year old Ford Taurus in for service at the local Porsche dealership and expect much help selecting new tires.... One man's snobbery is another man's expertise.
Old 01-30-16, 09:05 AM
walksomemore

Bikes: Masi Premiare, Trek 520, '01 Litespeed Tuscany

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tough market for bike shops right now, especially when competing for the higher-end crowd that does its own wrenching and maintenance. On the other hand, at least where I live, there always seem to be folks who don't know a lot and can't or don't want to dig enough to learn - the lbs is an excellent place for those folks. Example - a retired fellow I know has a $5k Ti bike but does NO maintenance. In fact he let his Ultegra group go so long that his bike actually froze up with the grit and he had to get a complete new groupo. The cost of that recovery was (according to him) almost as much as a new bike. but he gladly stroked the check. That's the big draw of the lbs. The major work, the fitting, and the periodic maintenance (cable replacement, gear indexing, all that) for folks who need to pay for services.

I also like local shops for 'easy' items - picking up stems, lights, gloves, etc.

But like many specialty shops (outdoor outfitters come to mind), survival is very often about service levels, not retail margins.
Old 01-30-16, 09:06 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Let's face it.. people don't shop in this manner any more..
Old 01-30-16, 09:12 AM
vinnyvincent

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's something to be said for catering to different markets, your Bike Barns along with your HTFU Breakaway Shops. I don't think anyone would take their 20 year old Ford Taurus in for service at the local Porsche dealership and expect much help selecting new tires.... One man's snobbery is another man's expertise.

Very good point and I am sure for higher end bikes they are the place to go. However, if they aren't willing to adapt to what consumers want and deal with lower end, entry level products, it's their own fault if they go under.

Even if they don't have space to stock lower end bikes, they could at least be willing to service and help people with lower end bikes and budgets.(everyone has to start somewhere. I may have eventually gone back to buy a high end bike from them in the future, but as far as I'm concerned they have permanently lost my business for being rude to me)

And here again the internet can be a double edged sword. Some of the reviews online I read about these shops were terrible and some even involved owners/managers being extremely rude, if their story in the review was true. If they had stellar reviews online perhaps they would receive more business.

Last edited by vinnyvincent; 01-30-16 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-30-16, 09:14 AM
Robert C

I certainly do understand that. However, does the typical low-interest, or considering a cycle, cyclist understand that? I really don't think so. Most would not know the high-end brand names even it is posted on the shops windows.

Here is the thing, a Porsche dealer probably knows, and might even be affiliate with, a Ford dealer. "I would really like to put you in a Porsche and we have some great cars that I think you would really like; however, based on what you are telling me, I think you should give this guy a call [hand Ford dealer card]. If you decide his products are a bit to . . . boring. . . and after all, I work here for a reason, I believe in the product . . . But, if after talking to him you want to look at a Porsche again I would love to talk to you; because we have some great cars. . . I really appreciate you taking the time to come in."

You just gave the customer the answer they needed and helped build your reputation for honesty. When this buyer gets a bit of upgrade-fever, they are going to think of you.
Old 01-30-16, 10:14 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Several local shops near me have closed up. Especially tough in areas with winter.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 01-30-16, 10:26 AM
Inpd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Robert C
That first article made a number of good points. I ride my bike daily, for transportation. The problem isn't that the author is not right; the problem is that it might not be good business.

In a very short summary of the suggestions:

1) Sell the idea of riding for transportation.
That's a great suggestion. Joe Breeze and other high profile people have been trying to do that for years. But alas its a hard sell today.
Old 01-30-16, 10:31 AM
Inpd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now Here's a Radical Thought -Perhaps BikeForums is part reason for the demise of LBS

Think about it. What makes a great LBS (or great any store) is knowledge and advice.

It's not stocking the part, but knowing what part to use. What does BikesForum provide? The Mechanics forum has been my goto for knowledge and I've gone there instead of the LBS.
Old 01-30-16, 10:38 AM
Lanceoldstrong
Family, Health, Cycling

Bikes: Roubaix S-Works, Univega Gran Turismo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
If you want to make a small fortune, start with a big fortune, and open an LBS.
Old 01-30-16, 10:42 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
This is just one example of why some of the LBS's have a tough time doing business.

LBS here sells these for $49.99 to $59.99.

Shimano PD-M520 Clipless Pedal > Components > Pedals > Mountain Pedals | Jenson USA

Half price. I can wait the few days to get them in the mail if I pay half price. I have found this with several items. I would prefer to shop the LBS and walk out with them, but not at those prices. I work hard for my money, and while I want to support the LBS, I find myself unable to when there is such a huge difference in price for the exact same item. So I have found myself using the LBS more for service and quick things like tubes and lube vs. buying actual parts. For those, online is where it is at especially since most shops would have to order the parts in anyway because their in store stock just isn't big.
Old 01-30-16, 10:43 AM
Xherion

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me, a LBS do not offer much value except a few cases:
1. Service for things that I cannot figure out/fix myself
2. Buying certain brands that do not allow online sales
3. Buying items that are price fixed, therefore are the same price online and in store

The primary use case for me to go to my LBS is to fix something that is not worth my time to do myself and/or requires tools that I don't have and can't justify buying for one use. I can see the value for those who are first time purchasers and need more guidance - I was one of those for my first bike. But after you know exactly what measurements you need, know exactly what you want, the fair market value of items, every in and out of new/old tech, etc. there isn't much reason for me to go to a LBS. In the age of the internet, everything we need to know about basically anything is immediately available and it's been years since I've stepped into a shop where the salesman knew more about a given product that I already had (for something I had interest in and researched prior). This type of consumer is catered to best by an online store. It isn't the fault of the bike market; it's just an inevitable shift of the market and what consumers demand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.