Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

So bummed....

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-16, 11:39 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
So bummed....

Been posting a bit about looking at/for a new "touring" style bicycle. I gave up on the custom aspect given lead time, cost, and other factors and decided just to get myself a run of the mill stock, sub $1K out the door bike. In that hunt I narrowed myself down to a Giant bicycle that was not in stock at the local store.

Just over three weeks ago I asked the salesman to ask the manager/owner if we could have them order in a representative model in one of these bikes for me to see, in my size, or at least near it. They have, as I mentioned in another post, not one single bike in store that I could actually fit and ride out in the class I was looking in. They were both dubious at first, but a couple of follow up visits over the next week to let them know I was serious, and they agreed they would order one. I even asked them to order the cheaper derailleur equipped model so that IF I didn't actually purchase once seeing, they would have better luck selling. We checked stock levels confirming they were in and last I heard they were going to get it and call me. I have not heard from them since.....

So, I go in today as we were riding in the area and drop by to ask about if/when the model I wanted to see had come. Not only did they not have it, but in the time since I was there every version of it in the size I wanted has gone out of stock and unavailable. I now have to wait about three more months to see IF that model will be continued over into the next model year and to find out availability, likely late Oct. They never even ordered it.

This would normally be the kind of thing I would decide not to visit a shop again over. Pretty blatant disregard for customer desire and even worse, simply not keeping their word. I could understand having wanted a deposit or the like just to be sure I follow through with SOME manner of purchase.....the kicker is that this is one of two bike shops left within a two hour drive, and the closest dealer of this brand of bike within a four hour drive. Being pissed will net me zero but more cost to myself...especially considering the next model I am even familiar with having a desire for is double the cost.

I so miss the shop I used to work for.
Old 07-20-16, 01:15 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
As you say, I think an unknown customer might be expected to put down a deposit on a deal like that. They took the wait and see approach. It's quite possible that it would have sold out before they ordered it anyway though. I really like my LBS, and they know me very well, but I still have to bug them about things like this if I'm serious. They are very busy and I'm not a huge profit center.

I used to have bike shop worker discount withdrawals after I got a real job. Making so much more money and seasonal security got me over it.
Old 07-20-16, 01:31 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
I didn't know Giant made touring style bikes. Check out Fuji. They offer a stock touring model that I believe is around $800 or so. IMO, if you are going to tour a good deal, it's worth spending some coin to get a good bike. Nothing ruins a tour like repeated mechanical problems, especially with wheels.
Old 07-20-16, 03:30 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
If they actually told you they would order the bike I'd be a bit peeved. If they needed a deposit but didnt ask you for one than it's on them, imo. In fact unless I had some exceptional relationship with this place I doubt I'd ever return, even if shops are scarce where you are.
Old 07-20-16, 04:39 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I didn't know Giant made touring style bikes. Check out Fuji. They offer a stock touring model that I believe is around $800 or so. IMO, if you are going to tour a good deal, it's worth spending some coin to get a good bike. Nothing ruins a tour like repeated mechanical problems, especially with wheels.
They don't, really. I was looking at a hybrid/commuter that I could have "settled on" to meet my desires. I want something multi speed, large tires, disc brakes (just cause) and holds racks...oh, and not a full on mountain bike....I almost did that.

I have actually shifted my gaze over to a GT Traffic that Performance has on sale. It's cheap enough to fit the bill as well. I KNOW I have to order it up front with them, but on the plus side I can return it on the spot for 100% return for up to a year. Hard to beat that.
Old 07-20-16, 04:51 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by exmechanic89
..... even if shops are scarce where you are.
There are a few other shops around, but not ones that I would consider shopping at. Two of them are partner Trek shops. Great folks and superb mechanics, but they only sell carry and push Trek/Bontrager. Another one of the local shops has moved a half dozen times in the last year and is a real crapshoot as to what he will have or be open and where.
The remaining two are both "big brand" stores as well, but one of them is Specialized (which I like and own) and the other carries a few brands, Giant being the main one.
Old 07-20-16, 06:13 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,089 Times in 1,182 Posts
Any REI stores near you ?. They typically stock touring type bikes as standard. more then an LBS would have unless the LBS does a ton of business.

Look on-line and see what they stock in the nearest store.
Old 07-20-16, 06:55 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

There is an REI nearby. They also have not one single bike in store my size. It would be a bonanza if I were looking for a medium or small.
The Performance store I am looking to "test" a bike requires me to buy the bike, have it shipped and assembled at the store for pickup (free of additional charge) and then if I test it out and don't like it I can return it immediately or anytime within the next twelve months for a full refund. The only single bike outlet this side of a big box store (and they almost are) that I know of making an offer like that.
Old 07-20-16, 07:29 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Surly cross check will fit your bill.
Old 07-21-16, 05:32 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by the sci guy
Surly cross check will fit your bill.
Too expensive. Wouldn't want to leave that unattended, even chained, while I goof off.
Old 07-21-16, 06:15 AM
Sangetsu

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
The best touring bike can be had for a good price if you shop around. The bike I recommend is the old Schwinn Voyageur. The version with the cantilever brakes is best. The Voyageur is an extremely well made bike with a wonderful lugged steel frame, and a supple ride. It has just the right geometry, and can be modified to work with just about any type of driveline.

The chrome framed versions are the ones to look for, as they resist scratches and chips, as well as rust and corrosion. I had one of these some years ago before it was stolen, and I still miss it very much. Voyageurs are easy enough to find in America, but here in Japan they are worth their weight in gold.
Old 07-21-16, 07:17 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by punkncat
There is an REI nearby. They also have not one single bike in store my size. It would be a bonanza if I were looking for a medium or small.
The Performance store I am looking to "test" a bike requires me to buy the bike, have it shipped and assembled at the store for pickup (free of additional charge) and then if I test it out and don't like it I can return it immediately or anytime within the next twelve months for a full refund. The only single bike outlet this side of a big box store (and they almost are) that I know of making an offer like that.
My understanding is that REI has the same policy as Performance, 1 year returns no questions asked.
Old 07-21-16, 07:19 AM
kevindsingleton 
Don't make me sing!

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 1986 Centurion Elite RS, Diamondback hardtail MTB, '70s Fuji Special Road Racer, 2012 Raleigh Revenio 2.0, 1992 Trek 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by punkncat
I was looking at a hybrid/commuter that I could have "settled on" to meet my desires. I want something multi speed, large tires, disc brakes (just cause) and holds racks...
That describes my Specialized Crosstrail Elite Disc, to a "t". Might be worth a look.