Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Time for a Tent

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Time for a Tent

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-16, 04:05 AM
AdvXtrm

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Time for a Tent

I'm about ready to buy a tent, and I would like to find one that would at least have a better chance at withstanding more severe weather, but not weigh too much or cost too much either. So yes, waterproof, taped seems, etc. Not sure what fair weight would be for a tent on a bicycle. As for cost, I want to keep it under $500, and of course the less expensive the better, provided I'm not loosing out on structural integrity and weather resistance. Once I set out, I'll be on the road for quite some time. I have no car, and no money for hotels and such. That tent may end up being my home for at least a while as well, so it's got to be good and dependable for me. I'd like something roomier than a singe person tent, so a two-person tent is what I'm interested in. I'd also like to avoid these bright blinding colors they so many of them are coming out in. I need something a bit more subdued and stealthy for obvious reasons.

So, what are some tents I should be looking at considering what my needs are?

Last edited by AdvXtrm; 11-26-16 at 06:16 AM.
Old 11-26-16, 04:49 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Ours was about 120 Euro ... bought a few days into a European tour from a Decathlon back in 2007. It has withstood some wild weather (including today) and is still going.
Old 11-26-16, 05:03 AM
AdvXtrm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Ours was about 120 Euro ... bought a few days into a European tour from a Decathlon back in 2007. It has withstood some wild weather (including today) and is still going.
Brand and model? Any specific brand/model recommendations that may be available to me in the US?
Old 11-26-16, 05:07 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Quechua ... and no idea what's available in the US I don't live there.
Old 11-26-16, 05:11 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
I would add to your requirements a tent you don't need to seam seal (with taped seams)
Old 11-26-16, 06:12 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 757 Times in 562 Posts
Given your listed requirements, I think the MSR Hubba Hubba would be a reasonable choice. It is about $300, well made, and quite roomy. I only use mine when there are two of us sharing it.

Personally I an inclined toward carrying much less tent and like my Eureka Spitfire 1 quite a bit when I take a tent (I take a 5 ounce bivy and a 7 ounce tarp most of the time these days). The Spitfire packs small, was inexpensive (a little over $100 if you shop around), and light. It is a really nice tent IMO, especially for the price. I do recommend replacing the cheap steel stakes for lighter ones.

There is also a Spitfire 2. I have no experience with it, but based on my experience with the Spitfire 1 I think it probably is a nice tent.
Old 11-26-16, 06:19 AM
AdvXtrm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalingWalrus
I would add to your requirements a tent you don't need to seam seal (with taped seams)
Thanks, I just did.

Originally Posted by staehpj1
Given your listed requirements, I think the MSR Hubba Hubba would be a reasonable choice. It is about $300, well made, and quite roomy. I only use mine when there are two of us sharing it.

Personally I an inclined toward carrying much less tent and like my Eureka Spitfire 1 quite a bit when I take a tent (I take a 5 ounce bivy and a 7 ounce tarp most of the time these days). The Spitfire packs small, was inexpensive (a little over $100 if you shop around), and light. It is a really nice tent IMO, especially for the price. I do recommend replacing the cheap steel stakes for lighter ones.

There is also a Spitfire 2. I have no experience with it, but based on my experience with the Spitfire 1 I think it probably is a nice tent.
I like the Hubba Hubba, but I don't like the bright colors.
Old 11-26-16, 06:20 AM
AdvXtrm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right now I really like this one.

Big Agnes - Seedhouse SL2
Old 11-26-16, 06:31 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
Looks great
Old 11-26-16, 07:04 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18428 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by AdvXtrm
Right now I really like this one.

Big Agnes - Seedhouse SL2
I have one. Nice tent, but look at their Copper Spur UL2.
Old 11-26-16, 07:22 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
We have had the BA Copper Spur 3 since 2012. It has been to Europe 2x and across the US and a number of other trips. Great tent!
Old 11-26-16, 08:26 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Euraka is inexpensive, from Campmor, heavy for the size it is. Copper Spur interior space is impressive, freestanding. Hubba Hubba pretty much the same. Seed house not free standing, less interior, front entrance. Check out Zpacks duplex. VERY light, can be bought free standing, very expensive. Most sturdy tent might be the Hiliberg. Also very expensive. Look at Tarp tent, and Light heart, both very well respected by the hikers. Tarp tent Notch,or Mo trail would be good. Definately check out Rei, Their 1/4 dome is less expensive and a bit heavier. $20 membership will get you a 20% off coupon. They carry a lot of stuff. Rei credit card gets another 5%.
You probably want a 2 person tent, particularly since you say you'll be out there for a while. Tyvek for a ground sheet. Wash it 1st to get the stiffness out. Zpacks sells it by the foot.
Personally I have a Copper spur 2. Love it. If I were rich I'ld have a Zpacks.

Last edited by Squeezebox; 11-26-16 at 08:35 AM.
Old 11-26-16, 08:30 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts

snip . . .
+ 1. This is the tent I thought of when I read the OP's post. The price is reasonable and the tent is reasonably light weight and reasonably stout. It's a good compromise.
Old 11-26-16, 08:33 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Adv, I think you can save 100 bucks (and gain 2" of internal height) by going with the Kelty Trail Ridge. I have an older version of this Kelty, and at 55 inches wide, is a little wider than a lot of 2-person tents:

https://kelty.com/trail-ridge-2-with-footprint/

(Big Agnes doesn't give the floor dimensions of the Seedhouse).

Older version (I haven't camped in windy conditions, yet):

Last edited by 1989Pre; 05-05-18 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-26-16, 08:44 AM
gerryl

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
I have a Sierra Designs Flaslight 2.
Used it this past summer for 3 months, every day.
Very roomy.
Two vestibules.
Two doors.
Sets up fast.
Fits in my front panniers w/o polls.
Light at about 1.7Kg.
It's a single wall tent, so you have to watch for condensation.

Old 11-26-16, 08:48 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
Originally Posted by gerryl
I have a Sierra Designs Flaslight 2.
Used it this past summer for 3 months, every day.
Very roomy.
Two vestibules.
Two doors.
Sets up fast.
Fits in my front panniers w/o polls.
Light at about 1.7Kg.
It's a single wall tent, so you have to watch for condensation.

How do you feel about it in high winds? I have the flashlight 1. I like how roomy it is but I haven't hit a really serious storm in it yet.
Old 11-26-16, 08:50 AM
grizzly59

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Mountainsmith Morrison 2, a lot of tent for not a lot of $$

Mountainsmith Morrison 2

https://www.amazon.com/Mountainsmith...=morrison+tent
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
71vqbdFwspL.jpg (22.3 KB, 223 views)

Last edited by grizzly59; 11-26-16 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-26-16, 09:00 AM
gerryl

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
How do you feel about it in high winds? I have the flashlight 1. I like how roomy it is but I haven't hit a really serious storm in it yet.
The tent has extra tie down points on the top of each pole. Those really came in handy when a storm blew through southern France this past September. When all the tie downs are used, the tent is extreme stable and secure. That was the only time in 3 months that I figured I needed the extra security. The only issue that I had was that some of the stakes where coming out of the rocky ground - it was windy!
Old 11-26-16, 09:30 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think the seedhouse is the same floor space as the copper spur.
Old 11-26-16, 10:13 AM
BobG

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 82 Posts
I have a Big A Seedhouse SL1. The Seedhouse SL2 pictured above by AdvXtrm is a better choice as it has an additional 2 inches of head room allowing one to sit up in a chair (if you have one) to read or wait out bad weather. My head touches the top sitting up in the SL1. Wish I had bought the SL2. Only 7oz more weight.

My only other quibble with the SL1 is that the drip line at the vestibule is above the interior floor of the tent. I assume the SL2 is the same. In rain you must zip the door shut rather than let the breeze blow through. SL2...

Last edited by BobG; 11-26-16 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-26-16, 10:58 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by BobG
I have a Big A Seedhouse SL1. The Seedhouse SL2 pictured above by AdvXtrm is a better choice as it has an additional 2 inches of head room allowing one to sit up in a chair (if you have one) to read or wait out bad weather. My head touches the top sitting up in the SL1. Wish I had bought the SL2. Only 7oz more weight.

My only other quibble with the SL1 is that the drip line at the vestibule is above the interior floor of the tent. I assume the SL2 is the same. In rain you must zip the door shut rather than let the breeze blow through. SL2...
Big Agnes is a good choice all the way around. I have an Seedhouse SL2 and Fly Creek UL1. Both are good tents that can take the elements. My SL2 stood up to a very frightening night of thunderstorms in eastern Texas. It faired much better than I did...I spent the night in the masonry bathroom when the thunder preceded the lightning flashes. I'm not a fan of being electrocuted in my sleep

Here's the morning after

As for any drip problems, all you have to do is partially close the door. It doesn't cut down on the air flow much.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-26-16, 11:20 AM
biker222

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly59
Mountainsmith Morrison 2, a lot of tent for not a lot of $$

Mountainsmith Morrison 2

https://www.amazon.com/Mountainsmith...=morrison+tent

Great tent for the price. I have used one for about 4yrs. Did cross-country bike tour with it and camped it over
120 days. Been in some 30-50MPH winds. Still using original equipment except I went with MSR stakes.
Old 11-26-16, 11:33 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You want to hide your Bike ? with a Black Diamond Mega Light you put it Up, over your Bike
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/10...e-tenting.html

It has No Floor, so add a ground Cloth where you put your sleeping bag .

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-26-16 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-26-16, 01:00 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 284 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by BobG
Wish I had bought the SL2. Only 7oz more weight.
I looked at both the BA SL1 and SL2 and selected the SL2 for that reason. Mind you, the floor area in the SL2 is still not excessively large at 27 sq. ft but it is quite adequate for 1 person. These tents have multiple tie downs in case of inclement weather but for normal use, several can go unused.

I also agree with BobG and the one shortcoming I have with the tent is remembering the drip line.

Last edited by robow; 11-26-16 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-26-16, 04:33 PM
Ty0604
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

+1 - I love my Eureka Spitfire! I got mine for $74.99 at Dick's Sporting Goods. I'm not sure if mine is the 1 or the 2 though. I ditched the steel stakes for aluminum ones.

Eureka even replaced my tent free of charge ($8 shipping) after a raccoon tore a hole in my tent a few weeks ago. The guy said it wasn't covered under their normal warranty but found my story funny and did as such as a one time gesture of good faith.

Photo shows tent without the rainfly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.