Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Recommend a bar extender

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Recommend a bar extender

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-19, 03:45 PM
Wiggle

Bikes: 2019 Trek 520 Disc, 2012 Jamis Ventura Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Recommend a bar extender

I am looking for a bar extender for my Trek 520:
  1. Want to install a medium/largish headlight (leaning towards Fenix BC35R) and want to create space and clearance so that it doesn't crowd my main bar.
  2. Also would like to move my bike computer onto it, currently it's on my stem.
  3. Doesn't need to be very wide. 4 to 6" should be plenty.
  4. Want it to be stable. Don't care if it needs to clamp in two spots.
Thanks
Old 10-28-19, 05:55 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3242 Post(s)
Liked 2,089 Times in 1,182 Posts
I've seen folks add a stem extender, a 2nd stem and a narrow bar to mount computers, lights, etc..

https://www.brandscycle.com/product/...BoCMqQQAvD_BwE
Old 10-28-19, 09:37 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
The picture above shows a stem raiser which is used to bring the handlebars up from the headset. What you want is a "handlebar extender". I bought a pair of them from a Chinese seller on eBay recently. The price was $4.39 each with free shipping. It arrived in 20 days.. The weird description for the offering is "Bicycle Flashlight Holder Handle Bar Bike Accessories Extender Mount Bracket" The same item from most US sellers was around $9
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 10-29-19, 05:35 AM
Wiggle

Bikes: 2019 Trek 520 Disc, 2012 Jamis Ventura Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
The picture above shows a stem raiser which is used to bring the handlebars up from the headset. What you want is a "handlebar extender". I bought a pair of them from a Chinese seller on eBay recently. The price was $4.39 each with free shipping. It arrived in 20 days.. The weird description for the offering is "Bicycle Flashlight Holder Handle Bar Bike Accessories Extender Mount Bracket" The same item from most US sellers was around $9
How do you find the fit? I've seen similar models on Amazon, some people quite happy with them and others unable to get a tight mounting on their bars.

Are you using a 31mm bar? Any chance you have a picture with it mounted?

Thanks
Old 10-29-19, 09:04 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
The package includes two spacers so it will fit any bar between 20mm and 33mm. I didn't use it on a regular bike but on my recumbent trike. It is sturdy enough that I can pick up the front of the 33 pound trike using the mount and it will not move or break. When I bought it the price was around $14 a couple of years ago. A lot more companies have begun to make the same extender so the price has dropped a lot. I will send you a PM with the same eBay seller I used when I bought two more recently. I used a DIY spacer made from a 3/4 PVC ( the white thing) on the trike because the original did not come with spacers.

This is not a great view but the extender goes between my computer stalk and the flashlight holder used to mount the flashlight on the trike.

Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 10-29-19, 10:17 AM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 129 Posts
https://bdopcycling.com/computer-cam...-light-mounts/
Old 10-29-19, 01:42 PM
angerdan

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Wiggle
I am looking for a bar extender for my Trek 520
https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...ole-mount.html
Old 10-30-19, 02:22 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
I use a Vinqliq Bike Cycling Lightweight Carbon Fiber Handlebar Extender Extension Lamp Holder Mount with Aluminum Alloy Bracket for Bike Mounts, GPS Units, Headlights, Cameras on a cpl bikes, seems OK. it does not like the sloped part of the bars so I skootch it up next to the stem clamp where the bar is uniformly flat. when it's mounted vertically it has no trouble staying put. I started by experimenting with it our straight horizontally but that was too much stress & it wanted to wander downward. it never moves now that it sits straight up. I originally got it cuz I didn't like the shadows I was getting from my headlight, caused by my cables. I also didn't like seeing my bars in my video clips. now I keep my cam on my helmet, but this is still a good place for lights

Last edited by rumrunn6; 10-31-19 at 09:17 AM.