Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

December commuting challenge!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-06, 11:06 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

OK, for many of us, December is the first month that really means the start of full-time winter weather. November was pretty laid back this year, at least in many parts of the US. Heck, I live in Michigan and I rode home in shorts the last 3 days. But they're promising 7 inches of snow on Dec 1, and I for one mounted my Nokians last night.

The challenge is to set a goal to commute every day by bike. Some people allow a few emergency/sick days. You may have to exclude certain days of the week for errands or what-have-you. It's really up to you and what you feel is achievable, but don't sell yourself short. Aim high.

This is totally up to you. You can start any time. There is no prize apart from pride, and no consequences for failure other than your own disappointment. This is all about setting your own goals and reaching them. And a little public bragging when you do.

For reference,
October commuting challenge
November commuting challenge

I'll start a separate thread each month throughout the winter. Take one day, one week, one month at a time, and you'll rack up more days than you probably thought possible!

Enjoy!
Old 11-30-06, 03:09 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I mounted my Nokians last night too, in response to the forecast for Friday and Saturday. It felt weird today to ride around wearing shorts in record high temps (68F, 20C) with snow tires on. Ah well. Best to get used to them in the dry.

Anyway, put me down for 18 work days this month. There's a possibility of more if I'm asked to sub or if a project scheduled for between the holidays goes for an extra day.
Old 11-30-06, 03:28 PM
Ganesha

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I made it through Oct/Nov with only 1 driving in to work day.

Since I made it in this morning, the first sub-freezeing day in Tucson this season, I should be good for every work day in December, since it's only going to get warmer.
Old 11-30-06, 03:37 PM
Travelin' Jack
Cigar Smokin' Cyclist

Bikes: Trek 1400, Specialized Stumpjumper, Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm game. I do have a couple of short out of town business trips where I'll have to rent a car, but I'll be sure to make up for it in the hotel gym.
Old 11-30-06, 03:56 PM
ax0n
Trans-Urban Velocommando

Bikes: 06 Trek 1200 - 98 DB Outlook - 99 DB Sorrento

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll try to make 15 work days in december. We have quite a bit of time off towards new years, and I often have to go out of town on Fridays.
Old 11-30-06, 04:01 PM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
I mounted my Nokians last Saturday (DOH!). What is the extreme commte goal? I am not clear....
Old 11-30-06, 07:30 PM
G. Bucci

Bikes: Two Fishers and one Cannondale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I post every month and I always miss by a day or two.
We had a big snow fall this week and it kept me off for two days.
I've done a whole winter before without missng a day so I will try again.

Pints up to all who just like to ride, go to work, and enjoy the weekends.

Do your best.

Winnipeg, Canada

PS. Winter picture rides and route descriptions would be cool.
Mine route got changed!
Old 11-30-06, 08:53 PM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I come to work every day on two wheels. Two of my steeds are motorized. I fully intend to ride one of them at least once a week. Still count?
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 11-30-06, 09:38 PM
JDal

Bikes: Surly Cross Check Commuter, 2 LeMonds and a Gunnar Rock Hound

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My third winter in Iowa and first year of serious commuting. I'm committed to not supporting the Middle East. First winter I stopped commuting in October and last winter I made it a few days in January and February. Supposed to be 8F tomorrow morning and I have an 11 mile commute one-way...any advice for me????
Old 12-01-06, 06:08 AM
Bike_UK
Pedal Power!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's so mild at the moment over here in the South East of England that i don't really think it's fair to even label it a 'challenge' compared to some of the conditions described above!

Take care over there.
Old 12-01-06, 07:05 AM
stockholm
Just a commuter

Bikes: Scott Metrix 20 for commuting, Specialized Dolce Elite for fun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Count me in for December. That's three mon to fri weeks, since Christmas week is vacation week
Old 12-01-06, 07:11 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by JDal
My third winter in Iowa and first year of serious commuting. I'm committed to not supporting the Middle East. First winter I stopped commuting in October and last winter I made it a few days in January and February. Supposed to be 8F tomorrow morning and I have an 11 mile commute one-way...any advice for me????
Dress warmly.
Old 12-01-06, 07:24 AM
JudyO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm aiming for 15 out of a possible 16 commuting days in December. I couldn't ride today because I had to pick up a rental car so I can go out of town to visit my dad for his birthday this weekend (he's turning 60 and there's a surprise party that I have to go to). So I missed the first day of the month. But I'm good for all the days until the December Shutdown (last day of work is December 22... we have to make up the time, but we don't have to come back until after New Years). The sad thing about missing today is that it's the first day that's actually felt at all like winter - it's snowing right now. I'll have to install my studded tires on Sunday when I get back.
Old 12-01-06, 08:50 AM
Flimflam
Raving looney

Bikes: 70s Leader Precision w/Shimano 600 (road), IRO Rob Roy (Fixed)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well it's been raining on and off for two days here now, so I'm 1/1 so far, and wet! December is going to be a hard month to guesstimate due to time off and the extra commitments around this time of year.

I'm going to try for 15 to draw equal with November, assuming I'm working at least 15 days in Dec. I've still got the road treads on for now, knobbies are standing by for whenever the snow decides to show up (usually Jan/Feb moreso) and I'm bookmarking those nashbar studded tyres, just in case.
Old 12-01-06, 09:01 AM
thdave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
0 for 1. Ugly day here with lots of rain and flooding. Odd thing is that if I waited a half hour, I could have come in with only a light drizzle. I hear snows on its way tomorrow, so I'll look forward to riding in it for the first time this year. Hopefully, the roadways will be clear Monday.
Old 12-01-06, 10:27 AM
lima_bean

Bikes: Jamis Nova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I failed on the very first day. Im in chicago, and the weather was fine yesterday.

I wake up this morning. Can barely open my door with the snow blocking it. There is a damn blizzard outside. The snow is piled up on the sidewalks and the street. Where there isnt snow it is completely flooded. No salt, and winds over 30 mph, and the snow is completely blinding. I go outside on my bike a strong wind hits and I completely fall over on my ass, soaking wet and freezing. I cant even make it to my bus stop just a few blocks away.

I took the train.

=(
Old 12-01-06, 11:09 AM
Travelin' Jack
Cigar Smokin' Cyclist

Bikes: Trek 1400, Specialized Stumpjumper, Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
33 degrees this morning with no wind... a rarity in the desert. Today was my first ride with clipless pedals (Shimano m324). I fully expected to get to work with some bruises at minimum but they felt very natural to me, as well as immediately improved my cadence and average speed. Great ride today, looking forward to the ride home.
Old 12-01-06, 09:19 PM
StokerPoker

Bikes: Pacific Duece AL with mods

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, my fiancee already tried to ruin it for me this month. we were out ealier today and the wind was crazy. she was saying the wind was blowing her away and all I could think was, "I hope this ends up being behind me for my ride to work, it could be fun" she heard there was a wind advisory until sometime tomorrow and said "you should drive tonight" I told her the bike has less surface area so I woudn't be affected as much as I would be in the car. so, it's 10:18 pm, 33 degrees, windchill 22 and sleet coming down. I'm about to get suited up for my ride in to work. best of luck to all!
Old 12-01-06, 09:21 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I want snow.
Al
Old 12-02-06, 01:32 AM
mister

Bikes: Checkpoint SL 7.5, FX 4

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
In like Flynn. Missed the last 6 days of Nov. due to high winds (50-60mph gusts). I hope it dies down soon, I want to ride again.
Old 12-03-06, 04:42 PM
Identity Crisis
Nothing Short of Thankful

Bikes: '12 Raleigh Furley, '08 KHS Flite 900, '06 Bianchi San Jose (RIP), '04 Fuji World

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2 for 2 so far (I worked Saturday) - I mounted Nokians on my bike in the beginning of November after a few late October snows. Had NO idea that things would get so much warmer, either way I left them on to do the recommended break in and then some.

Looking forward to my first snow-ride with a fixed gear and studs! Could it be tomorrow? (south of Cleveland, OH, west of Akron, OH)
Old 12-03-06, 09:16 PM
StokerPoker

Bikes: Pacific Duece AL with mods

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
I want snow.
Al
might actually have a dusting here tomorrow
Old 12-03-06, 09:55 PM
Junkdad

Bikes: Beater Managerie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am more of a challenged commuter in August when it rarely gets below 100. However, I am in for December - rain, sleet or (not bloody likely) snow.
Old 12-04-06, 12:27 AM
BigDaddyPete

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross 2008 Schwinn Super Sport 1972 SS. Surly Pacer Rando bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So far this month I have commuted by bike every day, except for home the other night when someone ran my bike over. But I am now on the other bike and riding every day. Of course I really don't have a choice. And I love it.
Old 12-04-06, 09:44 PM
Identity Crisis
Nothing Short of Thankful

Bikes: '12 Raleigh Furley, '08 KHS Flite 900, '06 Bianchi San Jose (RIP), '04 Fuji World

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The low temperature today was 14.7 (F) degrees at 6:54 a.m., approximately the time I pulled into the parking lot at work. I even encountered a little snow and some ice patches, good times!

I got to try out my new smartwool balaclava ($12 on ebay), nice, but I always have issues with balaclavas drooping over my eyes or not evenly covering my face. Hopefully I won't be in such a hurry tomorrow and I can try and get everything adjusted right before taking off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.