Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Micro grease gun needed

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Micro grease gun needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-06, 08:01 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Micro grease gun needed

O.K. So I bought these Dura Ace 7400 hubs with cool rotatable bearing seals that say "open" and "closed" and I guess that when they are open the 2 little holes line up and allow you to inject oil or grease. Now my experience with injecting grease is more blunt instrument stlye like this: https://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/mainte...grease_gun.jpg.

I've got various Zerk fittings on my CubCadet lawn tractor, and my wheelbarrow, my old school Lawn Boy 2 stroke mower, etc...

But I now have this nifty dura ace hubset, but am at a loss presently, thus my query here.
I also have a "GG" Grease Guard threaded headset and SunTour XC Pro front hub that I purchased from ebay that would benefit from a micro grease gun.
Could somebody show me an example of a "micro" grease gun ?
Thanks.
Old 12-08-06, 08:17 AM
idcruiserman
Mmmmm potatoes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got one at home. I'll get a picture after work if no one posts up by then. I bought it for greasing the fork on my mountain bike. It's a long thick needle with a spring loaded plunger on the back. It screws on to the top of a small grease tube.
Old 12-08-06, 08:42 AM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Here's a couple variety of small grease-guns here:
Plews - Mini, "Tool Box" Grease Guns

However, you'll find that there's very few parts on a bike that can be lubricated with the grease guns. The required Zerk-fittings will add too much weight and look too ungainly. Buying a grease-gun and the required conical-tip to grease one hub isn't efficient use of your time as you still have to clean up the mess afterwards. Not to mention you still have to disassemble the hub-axle to adjust the cones and bearing-clearance anyway. Then all the other parts on the bike will require disassembly to grease as well. Like the headset-bearings, bottom-bracket bearings, rear-derailleur pulleys, etc. In the end, you've saved 2-minutes out of an 80-minute job once a year.
Old 12-08-06, 08:54 AM
masiman

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
I have some pedals that require a grease gun. The lubrication flushes out the internals. It saves me 1-2 hours of overhaul time vs 1-2 minutes of pumping grease in. The grease guns Danno linked to would be unusable for my bike needs. I have one of the smaller models listed in the link but I need it for some powered equipment I have.

I also have one of these although not with this labeling. It works quite well. I have the short nozzle only. Sometimes it would be easier if I also had the longer nozzle.

Good to hear that Branford will reopen.
Old 12-08-06, 09:00 AM
LóFarkas
LF for the accentdeprived

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hypodermic syringe.
Old 12-08-06, 09:02 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by masiman
I have some pedals that require a grease gun. The lubrication flushes out the internals. It saves me 1-2 hours of overhaul time vs 1-2 minutes of pumping grease in. The grease guns Danno linked to would be unusable for my bike needs. I have one of the smaller models listed in the link but I need it for some powered equipment I have.

I also have one of these although not with this labeling. It works quite well. I have the short nozzle only. Sometimes it would be easier if I also had the longer nozzle.

I didn't know about Branford re-opening - that IS good to know. Wonder who the new owner is?
That's the grease gun I need. If I get one, I'd want that extra long needle as well. I think I'll check my local auto mechanics tool crib - they've got most everything like that. It would be cool to be able to load in you own grease, I really like the Finish Line Creamy Teflon grease, I'm due for a new 1 pound tub.
Old 12-08-06, 09:02 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
The grease gun masiman pictured is a "Duelco" and it's available from Bike tools Etc. among others. It comes with a short nozzle as shown but a longer 4" extended nozzle is also available. It is fillable and refillable with any grease you use and is great for adding grease just where you want it while keeping the rest of the grease clean, unlike a big tub.

I use mine for general grease dispensing and to inject grease into the grease-ports of my Speedplay Frog pedals so it should also work for your hubs and other fittings.
Old 12-08-06, 09:57 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
I used to just use a syringe, cutting the opening if needed.
Old 12-08-06, 10:54 AM
Ray Dockrey

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here are two from Nashbar. The Finish line one is $12.99. The Pedro's is $19.95.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
FL-GG.gif (74.1 KB, 48 views)
File Type: gif
PE-I.gif (43.3 KB, 43 views)
Old 12-08-06, 12:07 PM
Steev

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by masi61
I didn't know about Branford re-opening - that IS good to know. Wonder who the new owner is?
Right there on the home page. https://www.branfordbike.com/
Old 12-08-06, 01:30 PM
Dogbait
lunatic fringe

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn World Sport, 1982 Schwinn Super Le Tour, 1984 (?) Univega Single Speed/Fixed conversion, Kogswell G58 fixed gear, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought this one from Bike Tools Etc.

There is a cone tip for it that fits the fittings on the Sun Tour XC hubs but it is out of stock right now... try your local auto parts store.

You can get Phil's grease in tubes that fit this gun or you can save some money with any other suitable grease that comes in 3 oz. tubes.

I use this little grease gun for hub, headset and bottom bracket bearings... it will put just the right amount of grease into the bearing cups without smearing it all over like I used to do with a finger full from a tub or squeeze tube.
Old 12-09-06, 08:28 PM
Ganesha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last edited by Ganesha; 06-28-07 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12-09-06, 08:39 PM
Portis
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ganesha
This won't have enough pressure for some applications, i.e., greasing crank brother pedals with the supplies adapter.
Old 12-10-06, 07:26 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
This one from Bike Tools Etc is better as the tip is more suited to injecting grease into bike fittings.

https://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...item_id=DU-LG1

You can fill it from any tub or large (14-oz) cartridge of grease which makes the lube much cheaper than the 3-oz tubes.
Old 12-10-06, 08:24 AM
mrmw

Bikes: 1982 Schwinn Super Sport S/P, 1984 Miyata 610, 1985 Panasonic LX 1000, Centurion Pro Tour 15 1983

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
This one from Bike Tools Etc is better as the tip is more suited to injecting grease into bike fittings.

https://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...item_id=DU-LG1

You can fill it from any tub or large (14-oz) cartridge of grease which makes the lube much cheaper than the 3-oz tubes.
Harbor Freight. It works fairly well. Best if there is a local location, so no shipping.
https://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93486
Old 12-10-06, 09:15 AM
RockyMtnMerlin

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
Great news. Now I will put it back in my favorites listing. By the way, those cheap Duelco grease guns work fine. Also fit the grease ports on newer Speedplays.
Old 12-26-06, 02:36 PM
jasong

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ditto on harbor freight- they have sold that one for ~$3-4 on sale.

Also, there are needles that have the same fittings that your big grease gun uses.

https://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47469

Autozone or others might have those, but for 3x more than HF.
Old 12-26-06, 03:39 PM
awiner
1 Serving Per Container

Bikes: 2007 Look 595 Ultra (Campagnolo Record)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is what I use:

Standard grease gun with a needle tip. The ones from Pedros, etc. work well also.
Old 12-26-06, 07:16 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I've been using the Pedro's grease gun thing for several years - have only had one set of pedals with grease fittings but it is handy for placing small amounts of grease exactly where you want it, more or less. Works with any tube of grease that size.
Old 12-27-06, 02:13 PM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
I tried the Finish Line gun (the kind you screw on to a tube of grease) and I couldn't get enough pressure out of it to grease my Speedplay pedals. The Branford/Dualco/Harbor Freight model works great and is small enough to fit in my small toolbox. Branford even used to sell a little rubber cap to cover the needle tip so it didn't get grease all over.
Old 03-16-07, 03:06 PM
ginsu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got this and a three pack of 3oz synthetic marine bearing grease for $10 out the door at harbor f tools. did both of my X5's and boy was that grease in need of flushing. nice and clean now for the start of this season. I might do it again mid-summer. It wasn't that messy and only took about 15mins. I spent more time cleaning off the grease so that it wont create dirt od the surface of the pedals/cleats. that would make for a dirt slurry and wear the stuff down...

I thank all who posted in this thread and helped me maintain my 1yo CF road bike.
Old 03-17-07, 03:23 PM
bccycleguy

Bikes: Trek 7300FX, Lemond Sarthe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LóFarkas
Hypodermic syringe.
There are some plastic ones for glue that work pretty well, that's what I use.

See: https://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,110,42967
Old 03-17-07, 03:31 PM
kartoffel
velosipedist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ginsu
synthetic marine bearing grease
+1 on the grease. That stuff costs an order of magnitude less, and is way better than fancy "bicycle" grease. Looks like you got a great deal on the grease gun too
Old 03-17-07, 03:56 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by masiman

Er, well that's great until you need to replace the bearings?