Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Official Dopers Bingo/Who's next gameboard

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-07, 07:03 PM
spessx

Bikes: Carbon Fuji, Cannondale Caad 8, Schwinn Homegrown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys,

This is fantasy football in spandex! Test the skill of your intuition and your knowledge of the sport by picking your fantasy team of dopers. You can have a team of up to 5 riders. The person with the most dopers busted by the end of the tour wins!

My picks:

Contador
Leipheimer
Valverde
Boonen
Millar
Old 07-25-07, 07:04 PM
Blue Order

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Would be a good game to start before next year's Tour.
Old 07-25-07, 07:09 PM
skinnyone
Dude wheres my guads?

Bikes: Not enough

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Valverde,
Klodi
Contador
JI Guttirez
Di Luca.
Old 07-25-07, 07:24 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Contador's safe. First off, it been pretty well proven (well to American justice standards, anyway, don't want to think about European) that he's about as clean as any other non-doping cyclist out there. And besides, his safety from rumor has a guarantee. Leipheimer.

Go ahead, start a rumor mill, pick a few points to dwell on, and get Contador removed for not being squeaky-clean enough. And you start taking the chance that Leipehimer could win the Tour (I think he can pass Evans in the remaining stages). Which would mean nine straight American wins.

Wouldn't the Europeans love that!

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 07-25-07, 07:26 PM
Laggard
Lance Hater

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why Boonen????
Old 07-25-07, 08:31 PM
TYB069

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Contador,
Soler,
Valverde
Kloeden,
Evans
Old 07-25-07, 08:41 PM
pcates

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Laggard
Why Boonen????

yea why boonen?? though i could see him being caught with a gram of blow and a couple hookers
Old 07-25-07, 08:59 PM
maddyfish

Bikes: KHS steel SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Contador
Old 07-25-07, 09:00 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
Silly game, but I definitely had doubts about DiLuca in the Giro. Had doubts about the Astana TT results too.

It's an odd position that fans are put in. It's difficult to trust the riders. It's difficult to trust some of the labs. It's difficult to trust the ADAs. It's difficult to trust the various organizations - UCI, Tour organizers, etc. It's difficult to trust that the media are telling the story straight.

So here I sit, taking everything with a grain of salt, and generally presuming innocent until proven (not alleged) guilty. Kind of exasperating no?
Old 07-25-07, 09:21 PM
skinnyone
Dude wheres my guads?

Bikes: Not enough

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
Silly game, but I definitely had doubts about DiLuca in the Giro. Had doubts about the Astana TT results too.

It's an odd position that fans are put in. It's difficult to trust the riders. It's difficult to trust some of the labs. It's difficult to trust the ADAs. It's difficult to trust the various organizations - UCI, Tour organizers, etc. It's difficult to trust that the media are telling the story straight.

So here I sit, taking everything with a grain of salt, and generally presuming innocent until proven (not alleged) guilty. Kind of exasperating no?
Yeah I agree about astana TTs when DZ got his butt kicked in both TTs in the Dauphine. And the whole UCI/GT/Dick Pound show isnt inspiring any faith either
Old 07-25-07, 09:28 PM
Ganesha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If Valverde's doping he should get a refund after losing 3+ minutes Rasmussen on the ITT.
Old 07-25-07, 09:45 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro

Thanks for bringing up the one single bit of the last 14 months that really annoys the **** out of me: How does someone prove their innocence in this chicken**** outfit? Once an accusation is whispered, it never goes away (7 years of clean drug tests and seven Tour wins, and some schmuck on this board still uses "Lance Dopes" as a header line?).

I'm catching enough tonight alone from the truly cynical who refuse to believe that ANYONE in the Tour isn't doping about Contador - all unproven, of course, and stretching known factual points to make sure he looks guilty - to have me thinking that all it'll take tomorrow is a couple of reporters with the same information and in the mood to sell a few more papers, and by Sunday afternoon Contador's yanked from the Tour and whoever is in second now has the yellow. And it'll be his turn about two months after the tour is over and it's 2006 all over again. And again, and again, and again.

And it's too damned entertaining and profitable to stop.

OK, you want to stop doping by cracking down on the cyclists. Here's how you do it and make it stick:

1. Find and fire whoever the guy is at that French lab who constantly manages to leak stuff to L'Equipe. If it's more than one, fire them all. If it means gutting the lab and restaffing, so be it. That at least guarantees the tests will be done in a calm atmosphere, and the press is kept out until there's actually something to report. And that report isn't made until the B sample is run, which is, I believe how the book says it's supposed to be done.

2. The B sample is NEVER done by the same lab that's done that A sample. Preferably, it's done by a lab in another country. And ANY sloppiness in testing procedure results in the charges being immediately dropped. For good. Period. OK, go ahead with the prosecution, but you have to admit to the labratory screwups in court. Good luck handling the defense at that point.

3. At this point, announce the problem to the press. Let them run rampant and sell all the papers they can.

4. Now said accused rider gets to defend himself, in whatever court is appropriate to where he lives, ruled by the American legal principal INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY. I know that's going to be a difficult one for some Europeans (probably some Americans, too) to understand, but it works. And when you've proven the ******* guilty, you've got him by the balls. In the interim, he gets all the pertinent details to be able to mount as effective a defense as he's able.

4. If found not guilty, the matter is dropped. He's innocent (yeah, I know, some people just cannot live with that concept, but that's what 'not guilty' equates to - innocence) as per a court of law and may not be legally hounded on that charge ever again. If found guilty, string the ******* up.

Of course it'll never happen. The current, oh-so-pious attempt at ending drugging once and for all is too based on each interested party getting as much media publicity as possible (example: They couldn't mention this stuff about Rasmussen until he was in the yellow? - hello!!!) first, and actually stopping the doping second.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 07-27-07, 06:00 PM
OrionKhan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TYB069
Contador,
Soler,
Valverde
Kloeden,
Evans
TYBO69 is looking pretty good here with these picks.
Old 07-27-07, 06:09 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Choose any five at random from this list:

https://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2007.../?id=startlist
Old 07-27-07, 06:12 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.