Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Who Gets on the Track?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Who Gets on the Track?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-10, 04:25 PM
yallgotfakepoo
Like I give a ****

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who Gets on the Track?

Which of you guys ride/race on the track? I'm going to be heading out for my first season this summer, and I'm just wondering who does it and if there are any tips for transitioning from fixed street riding to track racing. Thanks, and **** **** **** **** ****.

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 04-15-10 at 04:31 PM. Reason: deleted vulgar words
Old 04-15-10, 04:40 PM
PedallingATX
Comanche Racing

Bikes: Presto NJS build, Specialized Allez Pro w/ full Dura Ace and Ksyrium SLs, 1990something Specialized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only go a few times a year b/c the nearest track is 3 hours away, so whenever i visit my parents I usually go up there. As far as transitioning from street fixie to track racing? Well it depends on your bike.

You need something w/ track geo so you don't pedal scrape the walls.

You also probably want clipless pedals if you can afford it. You will feel much more secure sprinting out of the saddle with some clipless pedals.

Also, are yout aking a course or anything? Your first time to the track, my advice would be to just stay above the blue line out of everyone's way. The sprint line is towards the bottom, and you might find yourself getting yelled at if you are doodling around down there.

Don't skid on a track.

Make sure you signal when you are about to exit.
Old 04-15-10, 04:55 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
Originally Posted by yallgotfakepoo
Thanks, and **** **** **** **** ****.

Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 04-15-10, 04:56 PM
yallgotfakepoo
Like I give a ****

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I'm going to a beginner/intro course in a few weeks, and I have Speedplays on my bike, and I'm going to be using my BFSSFG IRO frame from a couple years back (remember those?). It's Penrose Velodrome in St Louis for those interested. I'm pretty excited because lately I've been riding my rode bike by myself a lot, and track nights seem to offer a more communal environment. Thanks again for the feedback.
Old 04-15-10, 05:01 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
I train on the track several days a week. I race once or twice a week.
Old 04-15-10, 05:02 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
I went to the track for the first time last night. It was pretty exciting and I think I'll be moving from road racing to track

The coach went around the track with me a few times to explain the lanes, how to pass someone and how to ride in a paceline. Then he sent me to warm up and paceline with a couple people on the blue line. I got to be in a mock individual pursuit, points race, and elimination race. Take a class if you can, I really would have felt clueless without that instruction.

It was a little weird getting used to the slope of the track and if you've never done any roadie stuff then get used to riding really close to other people.

Last edited by hairnet; 04-15-10 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-15-10, 05:06 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by hairnet
Take a class if you can, I really would have felt clueless without that instruction.
Yes!

Some tracks require this. Some do not, but you should find and go to one anyway. It is very important that one knows what to expect and what is expected of them as most mishaps/accidents rarely involve just one person.
Old 04-15-10, 05:09 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
I race track. This coming Saturday night I am racing the first event of the year, which is match sprints. First, every rider does a timed flying 200m TT to establish seedings for the sprint tournament. Then, there are pairings of riders to run the sprint races, which are 3 laps on a 250m track. My track has very steep 44 degree banking, so a track frame with a high bottom bracket is needed to avoid pedal strike in the turns. There are weekly Friday night races, which are mixture of mass-start events and special events like keirins and madisons. You must first pass a proficiency class on my track before you are permitted to ride or race. Track racing is the funnest thing you can do on a bike IMO, and I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 04-15-10 at 10:26 PM.
Old 04-15-10, 09:29 PM
pyze-guy
Yup

Bikes: Kona Unit, planet X cx bike, khs fixed gear

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I go several times a year to Forest City Velodrome. Smallest one in North America I believe, 138 meter track.

Don't skid and look before trying a pass.
Take a class. I'd been riding fixed for 5+years before I went to the track. Never been on a track bike though and the bike was so twitchy I am glad I took the class to get a feel for riding the bike in such close quarters with others.
Become reality to me
Old 04-15-10, 10:16 PM
jonnycomelately

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
too bad about new england velodrome, now the closest one is in NYC (i think). is it just a matter of a high bottom bracket? would an iro mark v hd ("relaxed track geo") be ok?
Old 04-15-10, 10:25 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by jonnycomelately
too bad about new england velodrome, now the closest one is in NYC (i think). is it just a matter of a high bottom bracket? would an iro mark v hd ("relaxed track geo") be ok?
A high BB only matters on steeply banked tracks like mine, which is a 250m with 44 degree banking in the turns. I believe your track is Kissena which has very shallow banking, so you should be fine.
Old 04-15-10, 10:36 PM
elemental

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just checked, and the Kenosha Velodrome (which will be my "local" track come June) is only 27 degrees. Excellent.
Old 04-16-10, 12:15 AM
PedallingATX
Comanche Racing

Bikes: Presto NJS build, Specialized Allez Pro w/ full Dura Ace and Ksyrium SLs, 1990something Specialized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah...superdrome is scary steep! I don't think I ever fell below 20 mph b/c i was so paranoid of falling off haha.
Old 04-16-10, 12:33 AM
Squirrelli
GONE~

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been to the Burnaby Velodrome in BC only a couple of times, it was too steep for a newbie like myself; a whopping 47 degree...
Old 04-16-10, 12:43 AM
antiaverage
Pedantic Antics

Bikes: 1 30-speed Ultegra Road, 1 43/16 Fixed, 1 47/15 Fixed, 1 Converted Beach Cruiser to Pennyfakething

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would if we had a track/velodrome. There's a petition going on for one in Boston:
https://www.bostonvelodrome.com/

But it hasn't happened yet.
Old 04-16-10, 12:51 AM
cc700
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
indoor velodromes: both essential for boston winters, and expensive as all get out.

Last edited by cc700; 04-16-10 at 01:24 AM.
Old 04-16-10, 01:22 AM
F4UX3/2
death from your left

Bikes: scott CR1 rase rig, special__ed langster commuter masheen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently bought the parts necessary to turn my fixed commuter (langster) into what I now take to the track. Taking the intro class, as others have said, is definitely where you want to start. As a roadie who mainly races crits I was right at home riding in a tight group and bumping shoulders, but it takes a while to get that kind of comfort/confidence and the into classes will help you establish that.

All you really "need" is:

clipless pedals- they really do make a difference (you might not "technically" need them but racing without them would be a big disadvantage)

running more gear inches than what you do on the street

some track or even road drops (just something to get you into an aero positon)

a desire to suffer

and just get out there- everyone I've ridden with at the track has been super cool and ready to give out advice and helpful tips. It's also amazingly fun!
Old 04-16-10, 07:05 AM
redfb
Rebel Rouser

Bikes: kilo TT, dawes touring lightning, unknown BCM lugged conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i want to go to the superdrome this summer, i have everything i need but wonder if my TT would be sufficient enough to take it out there.
Old 04-16-10, 07:13 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by redfb
i want to go to the superdrome this summer, i have everything i need but wonder if my TT would be sufficient enough to take it out there.
If you mean a Kilo TT, then you'll be fine. My only recommended change would be to get clipless pedals if you don't already have them. Also, you need to take the DEVO class first before you can ride. If you need more info, PM me, I live in Benbrook.
Old 04-16-10, 08:29 AM
day1si

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fake poo, do note there is a track forum on bike forums...
https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...-Track-Cycling

And thanks for the post, I was unaware that StL had a Velodrome... I may have to head that way for some track racing and White Castle.
Old 04-17-10, 07:56 AM
redfb
Rebel Rouser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
If you mean a Kilo TT, then you'll be fine. My only recommended change would be to get clipless pedals if you don't already have them. Also, you need to take the DEVO class first before you can ride. If you need more info, PM me, I live in Benbrook.
yes the Kilo TT, i plan on doing it this summer, were you at the trinity bicycles grand opening last night?
Old 04-17-10, 08:05 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

yes the Kilo TT, i plan on doing it this summer, were you at the trinity bicycles grand opening last night?
Didn't know about Trinity Bicycles, is it FTW? I deal mostly with Colonel's by TCU and bought my Pista Concept there.
Old 04-17-10, 09:31 AM
redfb
Rebel Rouser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's in fortworth, just outside of downtown. It just opened, well sort of..they had the building ready but no stuff in it, so they did an opening party with 500m sprints on roller and track bikes. I took 3rd out of like i guess 50 something people in all, not bad but i could have done better had i stopped turning around to look at my progress haha
Old 04-17-10, 10:08 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

It's in fortworth, just outside of downtown. It just opened, well sort of..they had the building ready but no stuff in it, so they did an opening party with 500m sprints on roller and track bikes. I took 3rd out of like i guess 50 something people in all, not bad but i could have done better had i stopped turning around to look at my progress haha
Wow! Roller races. Haven't done those in ages. Used to do 1500m sprints, which was 3 laps on a big clock-face with 4 different colored needles to show the progress of each racer. Was that the setup? We limited the gear to 50 x 15 (90 gi), cuz there's no resistance on rollers so you can spin a huge gear and gain an unfair advantage on the other competitors. Good for you to do that well, sounds like you're ready to ride/race on the track. Did you use your bike or one of theirs?
Old 04-17-10, 11:32 AM
redfb
Rebel Rouser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I asked and they told me the gearing was 48-16 yeah they had that circle thing on the projector. I used their setups not sure what frame but it felt really nice. one thing i didn't like is that i felt like i was spinning out at times, like almost as if me and the rollers weren't in sync

Last edited by redfb; 04-17-10 at 11:49 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.