Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Kryptonite ATPO

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Kryptonite ATPO

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-22, 01:03 PM
stalefish168

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Kryptonite ATPO

Does anyone have some advise on how to register a vintage/restored.bicycle with Kryptonite's Anti-Theft Protection Offer (ATPO)? The program requires an itemized bill of sale to confirm the value of the bicycle, but I imagine many vintage bicycles which have been restored do not have such documentation available.
Old 11-06-22, 03:34 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,392 Times in 3,676 Posts
Originally Posted by stalefish168
Does anyone have some advise on how to register a vintage/restored.bicycle with Kryptonite's Anti-Theft Protection Offer (ATPO)? The program requires an itemized bill of sale to confirm the value of the bicycle, but I imagine many vintage bicycles which have been restored do not have such documentation available.
I believe they have a limit and may not cover a non retail purchase. As with regular insurance, homeowners, auto accident and uninsured motorist, you have to get a rider or separate policy to cover high or collector value items.

Reach out to them and see what they say and as always, I would never leave one unattended for any amount of time in the wild, YMMV.
Old 11-11-22, 01:49 PM
stalefish168

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you. I've reached out to Kryptonite for confirmation and will post back if I get a response.
Likes For stalefish168:
Old 11-11-22, 10:29 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,392 Times in 3,676 Posts
Originally Posted by stalefish168
Thank you. I've reached out to Kryptonite for confirmation and will post back if I get a response.
You can always get appraisals and see where your homeowners lands with it. It may not be that big of a deal to make sure it is covered well enough for theft or any else. Crash damage is covered to an extent by collision and uninsured motorist of your auto policy as well.
Old 11-12-22, 08:02 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Assuming you're using one of the better locks, I disagree with part of the above, at least in areas I've lived. A good krypto will secure your bike, and I feel no qualms locking a high end bike up with a krypto. I'm in Philly...a bike theft mecca. The only thing getting through a good krypto is a portable angle grinder...and the people who steal bikes are typically lower end, without that type of equipment. Maybe there is a sophisticated group of organized angle grinder equipped thieves somewhere...but I've never heard of that happening here. Bicycle theft is a crime of opportunity...and the high dollar attacks are at garages, or common areas of homes with rentals. The ONLY instance I've ever heard of where a krypto secured bike was attacked was one near a construction site...apparently a thief convinced one of the crew guys to break the lock claiming it was his bike and he'd lost the key.

Guys stealing locked bikes would sell the angle grinder for junk. I am worried about home break ins, not theft while parked.

As far as the insurance...you have to check your policy, as stated above, to see what's covered. The krypto insurance's primary value is in covering deductibles.

I would literally just write a receipt up that said purchased for ___ on ____ and I'd sign it. See what they say when you give them the paperwork. Personally - I'd fake something up at the honest price.

Last edited by KonAaron Snake; 11-12-22 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-12-22, 08:38 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 535 Posts
I dunno, a Milwaukee 18V portable angle grinder isn’t very expensive, of course no self respecting thief is even going to pay for that. Home Depot won’t even stop you if you just walk out the door with it.
Tim