Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Upright bikes, for training/distance

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-15, 07:06 AM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts

Does anyone use "upright" bikes for light training or mid distance riding?

I have a continual shoulder problem that is getting in the way of longer rides on the drop bar bikes (either in the drops, hoods, etc). Moving around on the saddle works for a while, but eventually there is a very sharp and present pain while riding that must be endured. Sometimes are better than others, but it's become clear that this doesn't happen on my relatively upright mountain bike. Yes, it sucks that my upper body gives out before my legs do, thus the frustration and intent to have a plan for those times.

Thinking of a bike that could be used for 30 mile or longer rides in relative comfort. Not looking for speed, obviously, with the riding position. However, I'm thinking a 15-16 mph clip should be possible and sustainable in all but windy conditions.

What are the considerations for doing this, as compared to a drop bar bike (frame size, saddles, crank length, pedals, tire size)? I'd like to do it right in terms of the right combo for spirited riding (though both looks and performance would be nice).

Thanks,

CM
Old 11-20-15, 07:21 AM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
I've pondered this same thing for a while. I finally have on the stand a Raleigh Comp GS frame, Campy SR running gear, Nitto Northroad Bars, IRD shifters, Brooks Flyer and Bluemel Club specials. Hopefully I get it finished by the end of the year

Here is a link to a thread for builds of this type - https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...tml?highlight=

Hope you enjoy.
Old 11-20-15, 07:22 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,717 Times in 2,614 Posts
My commuter bike is currently set up with Albatross bars, and I used it on a 50-mile rt ride a few weeks ago. It's definitely slower going than on a drop-bar bike, mostly because of pedaling leverage, but I was perfectly happy with my pace.
Old 11-20-15, 07:35 AM
jr59

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Isn't this what Nitto made their techno stem for?

Or are you looking for something other than that.

Grant Petersen does a few bikes like this.

15-16 mph avg sitting upright seems like a good deal of work over 30 miles or so, but YMMV.
Old 11-20-15, 07:39 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
My SR Triathlon needed a sprung saddle to stay comfy for medium rides. Not that I've done any this year, still mending from knee replacement
I'd still try to keep the bars as low as possible. You say your lower body is strong so shorter cranks should be good, less wriggling in your saddle and less chance of knee bumping on the bars. Comfy hand grips help out greatly, I use those thick Schwinn repops from 20 years ago. I'm not sure if they're still available. Good platform pedals are helpful too if you don't go clipless or old school.
Old 11-20-15, 08:15 AM
jeirvine 

Bikes: '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '72 Gitane tandem, '72 Raleigh Super Course, '73 Raleigh Gran Sport, '73 Colnago Super, '76 Fiorelli Coppi, '78 Raleigh SBDU Team Pro, '78 Trek 930, '81 Holdsworth Special 650B, '86 Masi GC, ’94 Bridgestone RB-T

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 787 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 282 Posts
I find that seat position (height/fore-aft/tilt) and its relation to BB/cranks and bars can make a huge difference on the between the shoulder blades burning pain that I used to get. For me, a little tilt back and a position not too far behind the BB balances everything better, so there's less pressure on my hands, and I don't need to use those shoulder muscles as much to maintain position. Also, paradoxically, on some of my bikes a longer stem was better, which stretched out the torso, and as long as the seat position still allowed for butt/hands balance, it felt better. YMMV, but it's worth experimenting a bit.
Old 11-20-15, 08:31 AM
oddjob2
Still learning

Bikes: Still a garage full

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 44 Posts
Try a Trek FX. The higher stem height is comfy.
Old 11-20-15, 08:52 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrome Molly
I had a flare up of shoulder bursitis a while ago and the only bike that I could tolerate was my town bike.

With a Nitto techno stem and their moustache bars it's suitable for an hour or so with no problems.
If it was the only bike I had mid distances could certainly be covered at a dignified gentlemanly pace in rolling terrain.

-Bandera
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN0893 (2).jpg (102.2 KB, 175 views)
Old 11-20-15, 08:59 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
I'm like'n what @jeirvine has suggested. I don't' have any pain in my shoulders, but his explanation got me thinking about the weight distribution or force on the bike from the body distribution.

I have put more miles on a bike this year than any for a very long time, averaging about 3-400 miles a month with over 1700 miles on a very aggressive layout (bar about 2-3" below the saddle). I have discovered that with stronger legs, there is less weight on the hands and saddle. As jeirvine explained, the saddle needs to be in the right location to help balance the saddle support and hand support around the leg support.

I think I found that balance as I now steer more with my hips than my hands and transitioning from hands free to any bar location for my hands is really easy, even one hand then the other. Core strength can make a huge difference too. I really don't do much exercise out of biking but I do sit ups after every morning ride, along with a couple of other exercises. This has made a significant positive difference in my overall ride experience by using my core to contribute to balance control. That is, I don't sit on the saddle as much with more of my effort being applied to the pedals.

Had this discussion with another biker the other day who rides an insane amount of miles. His commute is 33 miles one way! He stated that he saddle is used to keep the bike aligned with his body more than being used to support his body. Interesting statement as that is exactly what I use to say 35+ years ago! Makes Brooks saddles more tolerable!
Old 11-20-15, 09:03 AM
fender1

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
The Riv approach seems to work for a lot of folks. That usually means a longer stem, think 11cm-12cm if you usually use a 9cm or so. This helps with the bar placement not being too close to you. Also, a lot of the same folks will add bar tape to the lower section of the bar to use as a secondary hand position.
Old 11-20-15, 09:09 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,481 Times in 1,440 Posts
No one can say what will work for you. You may need to do a lot of experiments. Bullhorn handlebars are worth consideration. They are not higher than drops except where the reach is longer. Oddly enough, I like them.

My Super Course now has all-rounder bars (slightly swept back) with bar ends. The bar ends raise me slightly. I haven't ridden 30 miles this way, but I think I could do so easily.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-20-15, 09:14 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts

I have a continual shoulder problem that is getting in the way of longer rides on the drop bar bikes (either in the drops, hoods, etc). Moving around on the saddle works for a while, but eventually there is a very sharp and present pain while riding that must be endured. Sometimes are better than others, but it's become clear that this doesn't happen on my relatively upright mountain bike. Yes, it sucks that my upper body gives out before my legs do, thus the frustration and intent to have a plan for those times.

Thinking of a bike that could be used for 30 mile or longer rides in relative comfort. Not looking for speed, obviously, with the riding position. However, I'm thinking a 15-16 mph clip should be possible and sustainable in all but windy conditions.

What are the considerations for doing this, as compared to a drop bar bike (frame size, saddles, crank length, pedals, tire size)? I'd like to do it right in terms of the right combo for spirited riding (though both looks and performance would be nice).

Thanks,

CM
I feel your pain, I took to slams on the right shoulder this fall (one exmaple ). I haven't been able to use drop bar bikes for long rides for a few weeks.

Here is one of the options for keeping the weight off my shoulder:

(bikes all fixed up for Tour de Fat in Minneapolis this summer)

My Globe Daily is a fairly fast bike, I have 28 mm Panaracer T-Servs that are relatively fast. The two limitations: gearing is 1x8 and it's not geared for fast down hills. But that's not a big deal because when sitting upright, the wind will keep you from descending fast.

I'm happy to ride 30-40 miles on this bike. Over the summer, I used this bike to pick up doughnuts on the way to the office, the 'special' doughnut shop made my morning commute 32 miles and I averaged over 15 mph. (I am a relatively fast rider, I ride my road bikes solo at 18-20 mph pace).
Old 11-20-15, 10:32 AM
Shp4man

Bikes: 1989 Schwinn World Sport. 1994 Diamond Back Response Elite MTB. 1964 Schwinn Typhoon. 1974 Bridgestone Sprinter, 2015 Scott Sub 10 Citybike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 37 Posts
These days, my favorite bike is equipped with "upright" bars, a spring saddle and a kickstand. It used to bother me when the Lycra clad weekend racers passed me, but no longer. As far as distance goes, no problems, just not as fast.
Smell the roses and all that stuff, you know?
Old 11-20-15, 10:43 AM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
Check out brachiation. Google --e.g., "shoulder impingement hanging Kirsch" as, It [hanging from an overhead bar] cures 99 percent of shoulder pain. ~Dr. Kirsch
Old 11-20-15, 11:22 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by McBTC
Check out brachiation. Google --e.g., "shoulder impingement hanging Kirsch" as, It [hanging from an overhead bar] cures 99 percent of shoulder pain. ~Dr. Kirsch
This is very helpful to me. Or maybe it will prove to be. Thank you.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 11-20-15, 11:29 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts

Thinking of a bike that could be used for 30 mile or longer rides in relative comfort. Not looking for speed, obviously, with the riding position. However, I'm thinking a 15-16 mph clip should be possible and sustainable in all but windy conditions. What are the considerations for doing this, as compared to a drop bar bike (frame size, saddles, crank length, pedals, tire size)? I'd like to do it right in terms of the right combo for spirited riding (though both looks and performance would be nice). Thanks, CM
Have you ever ridden a trike.

18.1 MPH for 62 miles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_QKzeJOS6E

Last edited by 10 Wheels; 11-20-15 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-20-15, 12:01 PM
Chrome Molly

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
The experiments with positions on the bike have been done to a large degree with little success. My mileage this year is over 6k already so there have been some improvements made. Will still try to tune up the road position.

I will consider adding a little brachiation to the routine as it seems I'll have a swinging good time if nothing else. Saving the recumbent bikes for my teetering old man phase.

Bandera's rig seems to hit a sweet spot for keeping some speed. Would a wider saddle be better for that sort of thing? Would you use the bars to bring up the torso or use a shorter frame? Seeing how stem and bars would get you so far but want something natural and not a tweener stance.
Old 11-20-15, 12:43 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
Bandera's rig seems to hit a sweet spot for keeping some speed. Would a wider saddle be better for that sort of thing? Would you use the bars to bring up the torso or use a shorter frame?
I had a B-72 on that bike for some time, the B-17 is much better for me allowing more rotation of the hips and a better tuck for headwinds.

Being long adapted to the classic road racing fit the drop/reach pictured are quite moderate for me & didn't aggravate my bursitis.

I had to use a stupid looking stem to reduce drop on my Audax-ish winter/wet bike while recovering: You gotta do what you gotta do.

-Bandera
Attached Images
Town_Bike_1.jpg (63.2 KB, 159 views)
Soma_2.jpg (64.2 KB, 170 views)
Old 11-20-15, 12:47 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 229 Posts
I have a severe neck shoulder pain problem on longer rides as well. The solution has been a hi-rise stem and bars tilted up a bit. That, and a Brooks B17 has made my Salsa Vaya my most comfortable ride. I even sold my Giant hybrid yesterday. I can still get down for power and wind relief.
Attached Images
DSCF2652.jpg (108.4 KB, 98 views)
DSCF2658.jpg (104.6 KB, 83 views)
Old 11-20-15, 01:44 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Liked 1,319 Times in 491 Posts
As others have noted, bike fit is critical for eliminating shoulder pain, and probably the most important but often overlooked aspect of fit is saddle fore-aft position. I too had miserable shoulder pain for a quite a long while. The solution for me was to move the saddle back until I had barely any weight resting on my hands. I then obtained a shorter stem to compensate for the saddle move. That did the trick.
Old 11-20-15, 01:57 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,410 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by oddjob2
Try a Trek FX. The higher stem height is comfy.
+1
I had a Trek FX 7.2 and it was a quality bike. Upright, hybrid-type, and I did a metric on it. No problem at 16mph +
Old 11-20-15, 02:27 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Yeah, my wife rides a Trek FX 7.3. I would call her position semi-upright. It is an excellent design. And trigger shifters are nice. Hers has a 3x8 drivetrain.

Old 11-20-15, 02:39 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Everyone knows that an "upright" bike is good for short distances, but they can work for long distances too:

People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-21-15, 07:04 AM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
No joke, I ride with a 69 year old who keeps up the pace on 30+ mile rides with a Northroad bar set up
Attached Images
P1250929.jpg (102.8 KB, 481 views)
Old 11-22-15, 10:46 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 142 Posts
Have you thought of a MAP/Ahearne bar?

Ahearne/MAP Handlebars / Wheelhouse Oakland

Or a Jitensha maybe?

Nitto handlebar

Maybe with a Nitto Techno stem to get the bars up a bit. JR's idea sounds good.

Also,don't forget to check out Gunnar's beauty of a Chris Kvale here:

https://oakwoodlife.blogspot.com/2015...-pictures.html

I could easily see owning a bike like this at some point.

Last edited by gomango; 11-22-15 at 11:22 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.