Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

any dynamo hub users out there?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

any dynamo hub users out there?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-12, 09:05 AM
Pinkelephant64

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 610, original owner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
any dynamo hub users out there? (Done, I'm buying one, thx)

I'm on the fence on getting a shimano dynamo hub.
I have a bottom bracket hub I used 25 years ago and back then they were like a second brake. picture pulling a teenager in a little red wagon behind you for 20 miles.

I'm considering this for a gadget and phone charger more than for lights
I will go with either a dynamo or solar charger:
https://www.rei.com/product/837625/jo...-solar-charger

I'm building a fully equipped "touring" bike with all the bells and whistles but in reality it will mostly be an excercise bike with some long distance weekend campouts every now and then.
If I take a week off work, I'm going to have my toes in the sand on a Filipino beach, drinking homemade coconut wine (Tuba), visiting my wife's family.
This dynamo would definatly add to the "cool" factor

the shimano is equivelent to the schmidt in drag but half the price
drag chart:
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/imag...ower-input.jpg

I'm interested in first hand "pro's and con's " experiences
Thanks

Last edited by Pinkelephant64; 10-06-12 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-05-12, 09:13 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,359 Times in 865 Posts
IDK about Shimano's , but Schmidt has negligible drag, on or off..
sealed bearings..
Have 3, 20", & 2 28" might sell the polished non disc one, [32 o]

apparently AXA's top model headlight, now, built the USB outlet in.

mount: Fork crown

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-05-12 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-05-12, 09:17 AM
robert schlatte

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, New Albion Privateer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I have a Shimano 3n-72 which I power a headlight and taillight off of. I love the convenience of always having light and not havign to screw around with batteries. In my experience any drag is completely inconsequential. I commute with the bike every day and have taken it on a couple trips and have never never really noticed an appreciable difference with the dynamo hub. In fact, I would say that when the light is off, I forget I even have a dynamo hub.
Old 10-05-12, 09:30 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
I've got a Schmidt Son Delux and a Shimano T785 w/centerlock disc. The Shimano is noticeably heavier than the Schmidt, but it's also on a heavier bike (Salsa Vaya vs Lynskey built Ti frame)so this additional weight isn't a big factor.

For performance, they both power my lights fine, I use a Edelux + B&M rear with the Schmidt and a Supernova E3 with the Shimano, also have an E3 Tail for the back as well, but not yet fitted.

The Schmidt looks nicer, but they both perform the same job well, for longevity, have been using the Schmidt for 2 years now, guessing about 12000-15000km, never missed a beat, only got the Shimano a few months ago, and have put about 400Km on it, but this will be heavily used over this winter..

Not tried external electrical harnesses as yet, but am looking at this as an option https://www.bumm.de/produkte/e-werk-u.../usb-werk.html
Old 10-05-12, 09:53 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5969 Post(s)
Liked 2,876 Times in 1,601 Posts
The biggest improvement in dynohubs isn't in the hubs, but in the lower power requirements of LED lighting systems. Forgetting the mechanical drag of good Dynamo hub, which can be just about as low as a regular hub, and the small weight penalty, the probale has been the need to produce 6 or 12 watts to support the lights. !2 watts is a decent percentage of your power output and very noticeable.

However today's LEDs can produce the same output with much less power, so the effort needed to support the lights is far less. Combine that with the backup battery and circuitry that provides steady lighting at lower speed, or when stopped, and the drawbacks of Dynohubs are virtually eliminated (other than cost).

I'm on the fence about building a dynohub wheel for my commuter. It'll free me from managing batteies (currently good for 1-1/2 round trips), and give me more freedom to extend my trip home or make detours without running out of juice (happens in the winter).

For a tourist, a Dynohub is the way to go, since you won't have the ability to keep batteries topped off daily. As far as Shimano vs. Schmidt, I can't say, but either way, you'll find that they far exceed your expectations.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 10-05-12, 09:58 AM
Pinkelephant64

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
might sell the polished non disc one, [32 o]
I cant PM, haven't reached my 50 post mark yet.
contact me about that hub. how much? what condition? how many miles.
(EDIT: email removed)
I'm going for a "showroom clean" look on this bike

Last edited by Pinkelephant64; 10-05-12 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-05-12, 09:59 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
I have a SON, can't feel any drag. When I got that wheelset, I went from 28 mm wide tires to 35s, and I still can't feel any difference.

The owner of the LBS does a lot of randos, I think he has a Sanyo hub. Cheap and effective.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 10-05-12, 11:24 AM
gmt13
Half way there

Bikes: 69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by robert schlatte
I have a Shimano 3n-72 which I power a headlight and taillight off of. I love the convenience of always having light and not havign to screw around with batteries. In my experience any drag is completely inconsequential. I commute with the bike every day and have taken it on a couple trips and have never never really noticed an appreciable difference with the dynamo hub. In fact, I would say that when the light is off, I forget I even have a dynamo hub.
I have this same unit and my experience is exactly the same. I don't feel the drag at all and my commuting times are no different than they are in the summer when I use a different wheel. In fact, next summer I won't be switching the wheels because I now know it doesn't make any real difference. The only thing I notice is a bit of a hum above 20mph when the light is on.

The intangible is the sense of freedom you get. No worries about batteries dying. No hesitation about the use of lights when you're wanting to conserve your batteries. I've taken to running lights during the daytime when I feel that I need some extra visibility.

Oh, and what great lighting too!

-G
Old 10-05-12, 01:11 PM
dscheidt

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
I have a SON, can't feel any drag. When I got that wheelset, I went from 28 mm wide tires to 35s, and I still can't feel any difference.

The owner of the LBS does a lot of randos, I think he has a Sanyo hub. Cheap and effective.
I have a bike with a Sanyo, and a bike with a Shimano Alfine. I can't much tell them apart, and neither is much drag when off. Of course, I ride with my lights on all the time, but I have a hard time telling if it's on or off.
Old 10-05-12, 01:12 PM
SBinNYC

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I've been using bottom bracket dynamos for 30+ years. I had settled on a Soubitez 80 dyanamo with Union halogen front light and a BS3648 Union tail light. I had to replace the system about two years ago because the components finally wore out.

I replaced it with LED head and tail lights and a Sanyo NH-T10 bottom bracket dyanamo. I could not be happier with the new equipment. As, Mr. FBinNY noted, the big improvement is in the lighting. I have a 1 watt system and it puts out about 3 times the light of the old 3 watt halogen front light. I also get full brightness, when walking the bike. Both front and rear lights have super capacitors that keep the lights on for several minutes after stopping.

There are also improvements to the dynamo over the original Sanyo Dynapower of 30+ years ago. The bearings are sealed (and replaceable), and there's a rubber belt around the wheel. They also beefed up the spring, so slipping in the rain is not a problem. One less obvious improvement has been to the internal magnets. They are a lot more powerful, and generate more electricity per revolution than the old stuff. The dynamo also has a remote mechanical switch which I've found myself using more often than I thought I would.

There is drag. However, it's a lot less than the old Soubitez or Dynapower. I usually realize I've got the dynamo engaged from the hum rather than the drag.

The bottom bracket dynamo is not a bad deal, if one is not willing to sacrifice a front wheel. The dynamo's cost is less than that of a dynahub, without adding on the additional cost of building a dedicated wheel.
Old 10-05-12, 01:31 PM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I will go with either a dynamo or solar charger:
https://www.rei.com/product/837625/jo...-solar-charger
I like this gadget. Combo battery and solar panel. Right now I run a battery to keep the phone going but this thing would give me unlimited run time.
Old 10-05-12, 04:15 PM
Pinkelephant64

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah. these guys talked me into the dynamo hub but that solar charger will be going in my camping gear
Old 10-05-12, 04:37 PM
krome

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, very happy dynamo hub user here. Shimano makes good hubs. I have several hubs, from old (1948) SA dynohubs to SONs in my collection. They have all worked great, but the SONs and the Shimano seem the smoothest. The Sanyo hub is a good budget model. The SONs have top notch quality and drool factor. LEDs have really made dynamo hubs effective. Super capacitors help too in the standlight department.
Old 10-05-12, 06:51 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3617 Post(s)
Liked 3,454 Times in 1,960 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
The biggest improvement in dynohubs isn't in the hubs, but in the lower power requirements of LED lighting systems.
Power output is also better because of modern rare-earth magnets. I have a 1949 Sturmey-Archer Dynohub that still works fine, but the power output is nothing special.
Old 10-05-12, 07:11 PM
krome

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Power output is also better because of modern rare-earth magnets. I have a 1949 Sturmey-Archer Dynohub that still works fine, but the power output is nothing special.
Agreed, but the old SA will drive a modern LED light much better than the old incandescent lamps. I used one for years with a modern LED headlight.
Old 10-05-12, 08:50 PM
Pinkelephant64

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
might sell the polished non disc one, [32 o]
I passed on this deal. if anyone is interested in a used SON28, here he is
Old 10-05-12, 09:23 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1253 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 254 Posts
This year I have been using a SA XL-FDD and XL-RD5 on an old Raleigh frame.
They are both awesome and quiet as a mouse. Later I got a Schmid Edelux and it lights the road really well, but the switch is way too easy to flop around inadvertently. I was using new LED bulbs in my old tail light which is small and plastic. They got too hot and 2 of them fried before I figured out what was happening. I haven't installed my B+M tail-light yet.
Old 10-06-12, 10:10 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2642 Post(s)
Liked 1,991 Times in 1,247 Posts
I've got a Shimano and a Schmidt dynohub (on separate bikes), mostly for commute lights. There's a moderate secondary use for overcast and rainy rides, but most of those happen during commutes anyway. Always available, never need charging. Although I do feel a slight vibration with both around 17 mph when the lights are on, there's no significant drag with lights off. (Sure you can measure it with sensitive electrical test equipment, but not enough to notice when pedaling.)

I have to question the usefulness of either solar or dynohub chargers for touring, though -- at least in the U.S. You can find a place to plug in and charge a device if you stop at a restaurant or library in an hour or less, which is about what a solar charger will do in a day of sunshine. It's perhaps possible to charge more stuff (or maybe keep a GPS charged) with a dyno convertor. Questions for that are, do you need all those electronics to be left on? and do you need a cell phone when you're in the back country where you need the GPS for navigation?

So while it's a personal choice, my choice goes: NO!
Old 10-06-12, 11:30 AM
TimeTravel_0
commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
people rarely seem to regret a decent dynamo light setup. they are a great investment.
Old 10-06-12, 02:41 PM
Pinkelephant64

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you guys talked me into it.
Old 10-06-12, 05:32 PM
gmt13
Half way there

Bikes: 69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by TimeTravel_0
people rarely seem to regret a decent dynamo light setup. they are a great investment.
You won't regret it. I had my misgivings at first, mostly because of the additional weight and the potential for "slow-me-down" drag. All concerns were dispelled on the first ride.

Good luck.

-G
Old 10-06-12, 08:15 PM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Counterpoint: there is definite drag in the Shimano hub when it's drawing power... just that it's not very consequential. At all. I notice it, but a lightly rubbing brake pad makes for more resistance. The difference between tire at optimum pressure and minus a few lbs. Noticeable, but negligible.

I have one on my commuter bike and the weight of the hub vs batteries for a light plus regular hub is probably less than I accidently overpack every commute.

And the benefits far outweigh the negatives. Although I've yet to find an elegant way to deal with wiring.
Old 10-06-12, 08:46 PM
krobinson103

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And the benefits far outweigh the negatives. Although I've yet to find an elegant way to deal with wiring.
External batteries have the same problem. I ended up putting them in triangular frame bag then running the wiring from the head light along the hydrolic tubing for the rear brakes. Since the tube is quite thick anyway the extra wire is almost invisible.
Old 10-06-12, 10:42 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2041 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 469 Posts
I use the Shimano 3N80 on my touring bike. I have disassembled the hub completely for repacking. It is well built and the drag is not noticeable regardless of whether a light is connected. I have experienced interference problems with a wireless computer, so I recommend a wired computer if you opt for a dynamo hub.