Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Experience with or recommendations for a Bike Shop Point of Sale (POS) System

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-15, 06:53 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts

All - After much negotiation and a sure bout of insanity, we are about to buy a bike shop. It has been in operation for more than 30 years and has a loyal following, but the previous owner has been running it basically out of a 70's era dumb cash register. Do any of you that have worked in shops have recommendations for a modern Point of Sale system you like or do not like? Please be as specific as you can about what you like or dislike.

Thanks!
Old 12-18-15, 10:14 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4229 Post(s)
Liked 3,930 Times in 2,342 Posts
What do your suppliers use, specifically your bike brand? If you're going to sell one of the big bike brands they will pressure you to use their own system. If not just make sure whatever system you end up with can interface with suppliers like QPB, J&B as example. Otherwise your account might have some input to consider. Andy.
Old 12-18-15, 11:32 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 390 Posts
I will agree about one thing: you're insane.

But back to the original question: many local Portland shops don't have any sort of POS system at all. Until fairly recently, River City Bicycles (a top 100 in the U.S. bike shop) did not. What's required to run a bike shop is a moderate amount of passion and a lot of (small) business sense... "know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em".

A POS system will help if you have a large or multi-site operation... if it's been running with just a cash register, why change? IMO, setting up and maintaining a POS system takes a large amount of effort and you have to balance that cost with any benefit. I think you should get in there, run the business for a while, then look around for a system. Like Andy said, if you have a main supplier they'll probably steer you to their system but may offer help in getting you set up.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 12-19-15, 07:51 PM
CroMo Mike 
All Campy All The Time

Bikes: Listed in my signature.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
Ask your accountant what system will make your and his work easier and produce more useful reports. Doing it all by hand will get old fast.
1988 Pinarello Montello, 1990 Masi Nuova Strada Super Record,
1995 Bianchi Campione d'Italia, 1995 DeBernardi Thron

Old 12-19-15, 09:30 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Originally Posted by CroMo Mike
Ask your accountant what system will make your and his work easier and produce more useful reports. Doing it all by hand will get old fast.
Our accountant has no experience with bike shop specific POS systems. They just recommend a system that interfaces with quickbooks which is basically all of them.
Old 12-19-15, 09:33 PM
dwmckee

The current 'system' the owner has does not track cost of goods sold, or anything at all that is normally used to tightly manage a large shop. We plan to run it much more tightly than it has been run in the past. with modern accounting and tracking.
Old 12-19-15, 09:35 PM
dwmckee

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
What do your suppliers use, specifically your bike brand? If you're going to sell one of the big bike brands they will pressure you to use their own system. If not just make sure whatever system you end up with can interface with suppliers like QPB, J&B as example. Otherwise your account might have some input to consider. Andy.
I am not aware of any brand-specific point of sale systems, but will liik into it. None or our brands have mentioned this as yet.
Old 12-19-15, 09:39 PM
dwmckee

One of the more commonly used bike shop specific systems is Lightspeed POS. It has a lot of functions for repairs, layaway, deposits, etc. Do any BF contributors have any comments on this system? Easy to use, Hard to learn, lockups, etc.? There are only a few systems that are really tailored for bike shops.
Old 12-19-15, 10:09 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Originally Posted by dwmckee
I am not aware of any brand-specific point of sale systems, but will liik into it. None or our brands have mentioned this as yet.
Both Trek and Giant have their systems and I believe Specialized does too. Have none of the principals or key management worked in shops which sell these brands?
Old 12-20-15, 08:37 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Go to an electronics store such as Office Depot. They should be able go guide you to a system that will work for you.

Last edited by rydabent; 12-20-15 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-20-15, 11:52 AM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

The current 'system' the owner has does not track cost of goods sold, or anything at all that is normally used to tightly manage a large shop. We plan to run it much more tightly than it has been run in the past. with modern accounting and tracking.
I think that's part of my point- is the business big enough that the effort of running it "more tightly" will pay off on the bottom line? It takes time and labor to set up a POS system and continued time and labor to keep it correct. Even if you go with a major supplier's system (so wholesale cost, pricing, barcodes, etc. would be automatically updated) you'll need to devote some time maintaining costs, pricing, barcodes,etc. for stuff that you don't get from that major supplier.

Old 12-20-15, 04:47 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 470 Times in 303 Posts
For a bike shop, I would think you'd want a basic management system to add/track/relieve inventory, apply proper tax rates to sale types (i.e. parts vs labor), track cash and generate information for your bookkeeping. Depending on your size, this system would also be your customer database with CRM tools, service tracking and your payroll system.

You might look at software that auto/truck/motorcycle dealers use. These are typically ERP-like systems that cost several thousand per month but maybe they offer scaled down versions for smaller businesses like yours. Companies like CDK, Karmak, Reynold & Reynolds and DealerTrack come to mind.

All this said, I have to imagine someone has developed management software specific to bike shops. My wife did direct sales beauty products and there were management software vendors specific to that! Good luck with the business.
Old 12-20-15, 05:05 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

BRAIN has had a review (perhaps on an annual basis) of the more popular POS/POP systems. While they mostly all do the same basic procedures there can be differences, too many for any of us to really know all about. Hence our less then complete answers. But like picking a chain lube, it can be more about how you use what you have then what you pick. I strongly suggest you spend some time in a shop or two with a system or two before you pick. This is a big expense in man hours, let alone cost. Andy.
Old 12-20-15, 07:16 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Originally Posted by plonz
For a bike shop, I would think you'd want a basic management system to add/track/relieve inventory, apply proper tax rates to sale types (i.e. parts vs labor), track cash and generate information for your bookkeeping. Depending on your size, this system would also be your customer database with CRM tools, service tracking and your payroll system.

You might look at software that auto/truck/motorcycle dealers use. These are typically ERP-like systems that cost several thousand per month but maybe they offer scaled down versions for smaller businesses like yours. Companies like CDK, Karmak, Reynold & Reynolds and DealerTrack come to mind.

All this said, I have to imagine someone has developed management software specific to bike shops. My wife did direct sales beauty products and there were management software vendors specific to that! Good luck with the business.

I think the direct sales beauty products marketplace is far larger than retail bicycle shops.

Old 12-20-15, 07:27 PM
jerseyJim

Bikes: Surly LHT, Wabi Special, All City Big Block, 1933 Iver Johnson Mobicycle, Giant TCR Advanced

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Shop I work for uses Lightspeed. Works great and their support is excellent.
Old 12-20-15, 08:20 PM
dwmckee

Originally Posted by rydabent
Go to an electronics store such as Office Depot. They should be able go guide you to a system that will work for you.
You can get a cash register at Office Depot, but not a Point of Sale software system. These products are sold directly and often through regional manufacturer reps. We have talked to a few but they all obviously have a bias to their own systems. I am hoping to get some independent info here to add to the decision mix.
Old 12-20-15, 08:23 PM
dwmckee

Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
I think that's part of my point- is the business big enough that the effort of running it "more tightly" will pay off on the bottom line? It takes time and labor to set up a POS system and continued time and labor to keep it correct. Even if you go with a major supplier's system (so wholesale cost, pricing, barcodes, etc. would be automatically updated) you'll need to devote some time maintaining costs, pricing, barcodes,etc. for stuff that you don't get from that major supplier.
Yes, that is part of our considerations and the purpose of my post. Do you have any specific experience with any of the main Bike Shop POS systems?
Old 12-20-15, 08:26 PM
dwmckee

Originally Posted by plonz
Yep, there are shop-specific systems I am aware of, just trying to get independent comments on any of them from some folks with any experience.
Old 12-20-15, 10:14 PM
zoom996

Bikes: Peugeot Performance 200 Road Bike, Kona Hei Hei Titanium, Vitus 992, Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do bookkeeping/some mechanics at our shop. We are switching to Lightspeed. The catalog search alone is impressive. You can search through 3000 vendor catalogs instantly. It doesn't have auto sync with Quickbooks like Square does but you can import/export data to Quickbooks.
Old 12-20-15, 10:53 PM
dwmckee

Originally Posted by zoom996
I do bookkeeping/some mechanics at our shop. We are switching to Lightspeed. The catalog search alone is impressive. You can search through 3000 vendor catalogs instantly. It doesn't have auto sync with Quickbooks like Square does but you can import/export data to Quickbooks.
Thanks! Are you switching from Square then? Can you give me a rough idea how big your shop is (over or under $1M)? I am trying to zero in on whether this is the right thing for our shop. It is a significant commitment to switch over and I do not want to take on something that is not worth the conversion.
Old 12-20-15, 11:25 PM
jonpear6

Bikes: 2016 Salsa Fargo, 1979 Viner Special Professional, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have worked in two shops that use Lightspeed Retail POS. Great stuff, especially from a labor/repairs and bookkeeping perspective. I am a tax accountant who paid for school working in bike shops. So I feel like I have a decent, get realistic outlook on both sides. The mobile app for Lightspeed is great. My last shop had iPads for the mechanics to track parts used in tuneups/assembling bikes for the floor. Kept inventory real tight.
Old 12-21-15, 12:45 AM
zoom996

Bikes: Peugeot Performance 200 Road Bike, Kona Hei Hei Titanium, Vitus 992, Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! Are you switching from Square then? Can you give me a rough idea how big your shop is (over or under $1M)? I am trying to zero in on whether this is the right thing for our shop. It is a significant commitment to switch over and I do not want to take on something that is not worth the conversion.
Yes, we're switching from Square. Square is good. They aren't focused specifically on what a bike shop needs, though. Lightspeed has work order tickets for repairs, hook in/hook out, and the way the invoicing is displayed on the screen seems more fluid and streamlined. Our shop is under $1M/year at this time.

Last edited by zoom996; 12-21-15 at 12:48 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 12-21-15, 02:57 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7370 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,463 Posts
Good luck with the shop, and keep us abreast of how it's going. I suggest starting a blog for the shop.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-21-15, 11:05 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Yes, that is part of our considerations and the purpose of my post. Do you have any specific experience with any of the main Bike Shop POS systems?
Nope. I'm retired from the bicycle business. I dispense free advice nowadays. It wouldn't be fair to charge for it.

Old 12-22-15, 08:33 PM
dwmckee

Originally Posted by zoom996
Yes, we're switching from Square. Square is good. They aren't focused specifically on what a bike shop needs, though. Lightspeed has work order tickets for repairs, hook in/hook out, and the way the invoicing is displayed on the screen seems more fluid and streamlined. Our shop is under $1M/year at this time.
Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.