Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Old 05-06-20, 01:22 PM
praivo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by praivo
The hub bearings on my commuter are starting to fail, probably because the cups are damaged (I guess that's why the wheels were so cheap). I'm not going to get around to replacing the hubs until about Christmas, so the Hardrock mentioned in component list will be doing the commuting until then. Here it is:

It started its life as a regular 2008 Specialized Hardrock XC Disc that I got in April, 2009 for my 13th birthday. All that's left of that now is the frame, the headset cups and the fork. Almost everything else has been swapped from my MTB whose frame cracked in June, probably in a small crash that I had on the way from work. I only bought a new saddle (the old one was destroyed in said crash) and a seatpost (which is smaller that the one from the MTB). And yes, those are 27.5" wheels in a 26" frame, still having more than enough clearance. At 12.5 kg it's also quite a bit lighter than I thought it would be with that fork.

The photo is from the day I built it. I have since replaced the tires (from Schwalbe Hurricanes to CST Soft Sevens) and the stem (from 60 mm to 80, because this frame is REALLY short) and done about 1000 km on it.
It's been another about 1500 km since I posted the photo above, but it's been a pain on longer rides because the frame is simply too short for me to ride comfortable with a reasonably-sized stem (I'd need 110+ mm to get the fit I'd like, and I absolutely hate long stems). This made me revisit a project I'd originally abandoned years ago, which is converting the thing to a gravel-like drop-bar configuration. I found the shifters and brake levers I bought for that purpose back in 2016, got a compact drop bar, and this happened:

I decided to keep the single chainring and ordered a 10-speed 11-42 cassette and a RD extender, but I had to have the bike ready to ride before they arrived, hence the old 11-36t CS-HG50 from my parts drawer. I'm using an old LX (M570) derailer that surprisingly handles the 36-tooth cog perfectly fine,

I'm still trying to figure out the best position of the handlebar and the brake levers (I've never had a drop-bar bike that actually fit me, so this is my very first time doing it), but so far it seems to be working quite well. The hoods of the brake levers feel a bit too small to be comfortable, but I've already ordered a pair of Tektro RL520s anyway (to be used with my Avid BB5 MTB calipers - short-pull levers like the ones I'm using now can be made to work but the setup gets VERY finicky and prone to misalignment), so I hope that'll help.

I like the Microshift bar-end shifter (BS-A10, sold as a pair) a lot. It's in a comfortable position, indexes very nicely, and can be switched over to friction mode if there are any problems with the indexing (which is extremely useful since I don't have an inline barrel adjuster and the one on the derailer refuses to move). The build quality is also very good and the shifter indexes with little to no preload, making shifting a lot easier than I expected.

Other planned changes not mentioned above are a rigid fork (still can't decide whether a CF fork would make sense or not), a sealed-bearing headset (for said fork), and a bigger chainring (36t instead of 34).
Likes For praivo:
Old 05-11-20, 03:03 PM
Schlafen

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 62 Posts
Some serious built rigs in here. I didn't know people carry so much stuff with them daily, crazy.
Old 05-11-20, 03:25 PM
basketbro
-

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 15 Posts
Likes For basketbro:
Old 05-12-20, 03:15 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 1,215 Times in 677 Posts
My soon to be Commuter. 1996 Koga-Miyata SilverAce (project thread), a 5-speed IGH 90mm drum brake commuter. Just waiting for the final parts.
Optional Ikea Sladda Trailer below.

Old 05-14-20, 09:21 AM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts
I have been commuting solely on this Ace build for the past 2 years and it has undergone many tweaks. Usually my commute is around 21 miles round trip and the panniers are loaded down. It serves every purpose that I need. 200Ks on the side are just great too.

Likes For greg3rd48:
Old 05-14-20, 01:23 PM
praivo

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I've made some progress on the Hardrock gravel/do-it-all build:

I replaced the crappy Force brake levers (which also had the wrong pull ratio) with a pair of Tektro RL520s and also got rid of the old bar tape that had been reused several times while I was figuring out the position of the levers and no longer felt very nice.

The 11-36t cassette has been replaced by a 11-42. I did buy a cheap one which means it's really heavy (630 g, more than the NX 11-speed cassette) and the RD hanger extender means it's doesn't shift very well, but it gives me the range I need and I'll eventually get rid of all of this anyway when I have the money for a proper 12-speed setup.

I've now done about 220 km on the bike and I'm really happy about the way it turned out. I do still need to get a slightly shorter stem (probably a 70mm instead of the 80 I'm using now) because the handlebar feels a little bit too far, but I can already spend well over an hour on the bike every day without any significant discomfort.
Likes For praivo:
Old 05-14-20, 08:27 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
praivo , what year is that Hard Rock? It's confusing my husband.
Old 05-15-20, 03:49 PM
praivo

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
It's a 2008, originally looked like this:

I guess they didn't sell very well because in the 11+ years of owning the thing I've never seen another one, not even online.
Old 05-16-20, 03:18 PM
jamesdelap

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My main commuter is this Dawes Galaxy, seen here in the work car park not long before lockdown. I drive about fifteen miles to the outskirts of Bristol, UK with this in the boot (trunk). front wheel off, and cycle about six miles in with some decent climbs. The heavy chain on the stand lives in the office since we had a couple of bikes get stolen from the car park. If you lost the black tool bottle last year in Ashton Court, let me know.

2011 Dawes Galaxy

I bought this 1974 Galaxy in Glasgow UK when I was working there for six months, commuting weekly by plane. I liked it well enough by the end to rent a car and drive it home where it is my backup commuter. This one has a cheap dynohub front wheel nowadays

1974 Dawes Galaxy
Likes For jamesdelap:
Old 05-16-20, 04:21 PM
Schlafen

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by praivo
I've made some progress on the Hardrock gravel/do-it-all build:
I replaced the crappy Force brake levers (which also had the wrong pull ratio) with a pair of Tektro RL520s and also got rid of the old bar tape that had been reused several times while I was figuring out the position of the levers and no longer felt very nice.

The 11-36t cassette has been replaced by a 11-42. I did buy a cheap one which means it's really heavy (630 g, more than the NX 11-speed cassette) and the RD hanger extender means it's doesn't shift very well, but it gives me the range I need and I'll eventually get rid of all of this anyway when I have the money for a proper 12-speed setup.

I've now done about 220 km on the bike and I'm really happy about the way it turned out. I do still need to get a slightly shorter stem (probably a 70mm instead of the 80 I'm using now) because the handlebar feels a little bit too far, but I can already spend well over an hour on the bike every day without any significant discomfort.
Dang, this is exactly what I'm thinking of, when people talk about gravel bikes. Looks ready for the Tour Divide.
I might take some inspiration from this off road monster rig of yours.
Old 05-20-20, 08:19 AM
takozukuri
human being

Bikes: 7.3 FX

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Love of my life

Here's a picture of my commuter (Trek 7.3 FX) that I enjoy riding so much. I've been going back and forth to work since 2009ish through GBP and Terry Hershey with exception to "high water" days!

I should mention that b/c of covid, I have not had opportunity to commute. This is the longest (by far) break that I've had in commuting. Really miss it!

Last edited by takozukuri; 05-20-20 at 08:45 AM.
Likes For takozukuri:
Old 05-20-20, 08:42 AM
MartinCrudo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to the site. Lots of great looking bikes in this thread. Anyone here ever use a fat bike for commuting?
Old 08-22-20, 04:23 PM
Pedersen

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Still lover our Burley Runabout fitted with a Nexus 7 speed.
Old 08-22-20, 08:48 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by MartinCrudo
New to the site. Lots of great looking bikes in this thread. Anyone here ever use a fat bike for commuting?
You were just out of season. We have a few in the wintry climes, though they tend to switch to disposable old MTB’s with studs when it’s slushy or icy. On the MTBR commuter forum you might find a few doing the “Krampug “ thing with a 29er wheelset in the non frozen months.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 08-24-20, 03:01 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 211 Posts
My commuter with 35mm fun-time summer gravel tires mounted.

2015 Norco Search S1 - steel frame w. carbon fork, 105 groupset w. Hayes cable disc calipers. Tools, tubes, air, snacks all go in the Roadrunner 'Burrito Supreme' bar bag and I carry a change of clothes in a small backpack.
This is also my gravel bike and I've done 4 seasons of amature CX racing on it. Very versatile.
Likes For bOsscO:
Old 08-30-20, 07:41 PM
vgmightyp

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Tarmac Disc Sport, 2020 CAADX 105, 2018 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Specialized Sirrus Disc, 1997 Mongoose Maneuver

Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts

2018 Specialized Allez Elite
Old 09-06-20, 11:29 AM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Here’s my commuter, after being de-commuter-ized, due to no longer having a daily, all-weather, long-distance commute.

Likes For Phamilton:
Old 09-13-20, 01:34 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Bikes: Diamond Back Insight 2, Gravity Basecamp mountain bike, GMC Denali Road Bike

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 36 Posts
Past and present commuter

My first commuter bike was a GMC Denali road bike (yes I know it's a POS, but I had reasons for getting it.) I got the Denali so I have something to ride, and I didn't have a lot of cash at the time. My original goal was to replace the components on it, in a piecemeal fashion, and make it a little bit better, especially when it came to the braking. I swapped out the joined drop bars and put a flat bar on it, and tossed the revo shifters, got some break levers and got some half way decent gear shifters. I couldn't do much because I had a very small space and anal retentive building managers. I needed to drill out the holes where the levers went, so I could fit the new brakes which were recessed, but was afraid to on the rear because the hole might of been too big. It got me where I needed to go. I was able to haul groceries on it, and I wouldn't of been too sad if someone stole it, because it was so inexpensive. Long story short, the front derailleur was a mtb derailleur and could of took it to get replaced, but decided against it. I took everything I could of off of the frame and save it as a project bike. That didn't work, because of anal retentive building managers and I couldn't take it with me when I moved.

GMC Denali

My second and current bike is a Diamondback Insight II. Not the a top of the line bike but a helluva an upgrade over the Denali (which I regret leaving behind.) Nothing special or outstanding about this bike. It's great to ride, but of course the manufacturer didn't line the front derailleur up properly and the mechanics at the bike fail to notice and told me that I would have to put up with a slight chain rub. I've since fixed that by watching some YouTube videos LOL. I put 700Cx45 wheels on it so they wouldn't sag when my fat rear end was riding it, when it was loaded up with groceries. Though I might put 700cX40's on it instead because there is barely enough clearance in the back to fit the current wheels.

Old 09-13-20, 07:57 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Phamilton
Here’s my commuter, after being de-commuter-ized, due to no longer having a daily, all-weather, long-distance commute.

I traded that Voyageur for this 434 last week.

Old 09-15-20, 11:53 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts

It's mostly done
Old 09-15-20, 01:55 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
^^^Gorgeous
Likes For himespau:
Old 09-15-20, 01:58 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,399 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
^^^Gorgeous
Yes, and I get a kick out of the pump placement on the front rack
Old 09-16-20, 12:26 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Yes, and I get a kick out of the pump placement on the front rack
I got tired of knocking the frame pump off so I got that little thing intending to mount it on the third bottle mount but it doesn't fit soooo.
Old 09-18-20, 10:41 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
I got tired of knocking the frame pump off so I got that little thing intending to mount it on the third bottle mount but it doesn't fit soooo.
it works, brilliant
Old 09-22-20, 09:35 AM
Vismund B

Bikes: An old Panasonic Sport

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris

It's mostly done
Wow that is a beautiful bicycle. What bags are those on the back?
Likes For Vismund B:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.