Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Having a hard time figuring out what bottom bracket I need

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-20, 11:59 PM
mcoate

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a 1972-ish Sekine, but am unable to take it apart until next week when tool gets here. Is there anything I can measure or look at from the outside to know which BB to order?
Old 05-10-20, 12:29 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Bottom brackets for tapered BB axles are hit and miss, especially for cranks that have a lot of miles or removals in their history, So no one can give you a guaranteed BB length that will give you the right chianline. Best approach - when those tools come, take off the cranks, measure the spindle length and asymmetry. (In those days the drive-side was always longer.) You also need to know the taper. I'm guessing JIS, the Japanese standard, but I don't know if it was universal there then.

One approach you can take without leaving the house - buy your best guess Shimano cartridge BB. (I'd match the driveside length and go from there. Shimanos are symmetrical so the same DS gives you a longer total spindle. Now, install the Shimano, mount the cranks and measure the chainline. If good, you're done. If not, you know what you need. (Now, not all BB manufacturers are rigorous on tolerances, Spindle taper is very shallow so small differences make real changes in chainlines. Shimanos are consistently right on. So are Phil Woods (the very expensive custom level BBs made in San Jose. I"d guess Sugino next but I haven't done a side-by-side comparison. I simply use Shimanos as measuring tools and order Phil Woods but that is expensive and not everyone's cup of tea. (and the sad truth - those of us old enough to be able to justify spending that much are also old enough to be completely unable to wear them out. We don't have enough miles left. But one asset that could sway the balance - they are simply gorgeous! They come out of the box looking like the finest medical equipment.

Ben (collecting Phil Woods for future generations)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 05-10-20, 12:41 AM
mcoate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
One approach you can take without leaving the house - buy your best guess Shimano cartridge BB.
Are you talking something like the Shimano UN55 square taper? I have a Sugino RD2 crankset I would like to use with it if possible.

Last edited by mcoate; 05-10-20 at 12:55 AM.
Old 05-10-20, 01:44 AM
The_Joe

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by mcoate
Are you talking something like the Shimano UN55 square taper? I have a Sugino RD2 crankset I would like to use with it if possible.

Here is a link to that crankset. It lists the recommended length and taper. This is where I would start. Generally the crank dictates the spindle length, not the bike. Of course, depending on how your wheels are dishes things can change.

If you have any calipers you can measure the current spindle length even while it is still on the bike. I would build it up with what's on there, check your chainline, and then see if/how badly it is off. From there you can do some simple addition or subtraction to find the right length.

https://www.treefortbikes.com/Sugino...30mm-alloy-RD2
Likes For The_Joe:
Old 05-10-20, 05:36 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
I have a 1972-ish Sekine, but am unable to take it apart until next week when tool gets here. Is there anything I can measure or look at from the outside to know which BB to order?
Why do you need a new bottom bracket? If the current one isn't pitted the simplest thing to do is simply clean it and install new bearings and your good for another few years, unless of course you ride in adverse weather a lot.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 05-10-20, 07:37 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Missed point: this is a Sekine, has a 70mm bottom Bracket shell. Don’t use a 68 mm unit on it.
Old 05-10-20, 08:16 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
Missed point: this is a Sekine, has a 70mm bottom Bracket shell. Don’t use a 68 mm unit on it.
+1 this. Despite the 70mm shell, it is English thread, not Italian. One of the cases demonstrating the unreliability of using shell width to guess thread spec.

If the current bottom bracket is in reasonable condition, why bother replacing it? If it does need replacing, look for a code on the spindle like "5N" or some such. Find a replacement spindle with the same code. Chances are, the cups will be OK; spindles always wear out first. If you do have to replace the whole thing, finding a suitable modern cartridge can be a matter of trial and error. Most English thread cartridges are designed for 68mm shells and may not work in a 70mm shell. A 73mm MTB cartridge might work with spacers in the proper places to get a reasonable chainline. Good luck!
Old 05-10-20, 08:44 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2436 Post(s)
Liked 3,119 Times in 1,962 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
+1 this. Despite the 70mm shell, it is English thread, not Italian
Never heard of that issue! Couldn't they use an Italian length spindle with the English cups, since the same versions of BB axles that have English OR Italian threads usually deviate by 2mm?

I guess the OP could face each side of the BB of 1mm? Eek.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 05-10-20, 09:33 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
Sounds like what we called a Mexican bottom bracket because this is what Acer-Mex, Windsor used to do.
Old 05-10-20, 01:12 PM
mcoate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the current bottom bracket is in reasonable condition, why bother replacing it?
I was mostly concerned with the crankset I have to use not fitting on it
Old 05-10-20, 01:22 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
+1 this. Despite the 70mm shell, it is English thread, not Italian. One of the cases demonstrating the unreliability of using shell width to guess thread spec.

If the current bottom bracket is in reasonable condition, why bother replacing it? If it does need replacing, look for a code on the spindle like "5N" or some such. Find a replacement spindle with the same code. Chances are, the cups will be OK; spindles always wear out first. If you do have to replace the whole thing, finding a suitable modern cartridge can be a matter of trial and error. Most English thread cartridges are designed for 68mm shells and may not work in a 70mm shell. A 73mm MTB cartridge might work with spacers in the proper places to get a reasonable chainline. Good luck!
So the 70 mm bottom bracket shell is one issue. Also the taper on the spindle might be 3 degrees. That's why I didn't replace the crank on my Sekine SHS 271. I just overhauled the BB and kept the original crank.
Old 05-10-20, 02:28 PM
mcoate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
So the 70 mm bottom bracket shell is one issue. Also the taper on the spindle might be 3 degrees. That's why I didn't replace the crank on my Sekine SHS 271. I just overhauled the BB and kept the original crank.
Ugh this is what I was worried about, the frame and paint are mint but I can't really use any of the components on there.
Old 05-10-20, 02:35 PM
bikemig 

Ugh this is what I was worried about, the frame and paint are mint but I can't really use any of the components on there.
Nah, this is easy. If all you have is a frame and fork, then that is really easy. Just get a 73 mm square taper BB and a pair of 1.5 spacers. Everything else is standard.

These are really nice bikes. I really like my SHS 271 which I use primarily as a lock up bike. The bike rides great. I just wish I could track down one of those awesome Sekine pie plates.

Old 05-10-20, 03:02 PM
mcoate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Nah, this is easy. If all you have is a frame and fork, then that is really easy. Just get a 73 mm square taper BB and a pair of 1.5 spacers. Everything else is standard.

These are really nice bikes. I really like my SHS 271 which I use primarily as a lock up bike. The bike rides great. I just wish I could track down one of those awesome Sekine pie plates.
Thanks for the info! Sorry I am fairly new to all this. So the bottom bracket is still intact and I have a Sugino RD2 crankset I would like to use ideally, but from what I am reading the taper will be wrong? How do I address this?
Old 05-10-20, 03:06 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I have a couple of bikes with that weird English-threaded 70mm bottom bracket shell. A 68mm cartridge bottom bracket can be used as long as the left-side cup doesn't have a lip/ledge on it. That lets the left-side cup keep threading into the shell until it can mate up with the cartridge unit. You'll have to plan on the crank sitting 1mm further to the right than if you had a 68mm shell.

Here's what it looks like from the left side when it's all back together:
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 05-10-20, 03:07 PM
bikemig 

Thanks for the info! Sorry I am fairly new to all this. So the bottom bracket is still intact and I have a Sugino RD2 crankset I would like to use ideally, but from what I am reading the taper will be wrong? How do I address this?
Wait until you have the bike, take some measurements, and post some pics. We'll talk you through this.

I think the bike is quite likely to have a 70 mm english threaded bottom bracket but you never know until you measure it.

The tapers on the spindle may or may not be 3 degrees since that is true only for some of the cranks that came on Sekines like mine.

This won't be hard but you may have to install a new bottom bracket.
Old 05-10-20, 03:21 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

I was mostly concerned with the crankset I have to use not fitting on it
What crank do you intend to use with it?

(edit) Ah, I see you want to use a Sugino RD2. You should be able to make it work with the existing cups by using a track spindle designed for a 70mm shell.

Last edited by JohnDThompson; 05-10-20 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-10-20, 04:07 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

So the bottom bracket is still intact and I have a Sugino RD2 crankset I would like to use ideally, but from what I am reading the taper will be wrong? How do I address this?
3° taper spindles are pretty rare and AFAIK were only used on a long out of production SR Silstar crank. If that's what you have, the 3° spindle will be too wide to fit a crank designed for a 2° spindle; the mismatch will be obvious. In that event, you could replace the 3° spindle with an appropriate size 2° spindle. I'd test-fit the RD2 onto the current bottom bracket and see how the chainline looks. If the ring sits too far out (because the spindle was designed for two rings rather than one), you can reverse the spindle to bring the ring closer in. Otherwise a track spindle for a 70mm shell should work.
Old 05-10-20, 04:49 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
OR... you could have the BB she’ll shaved down.
Old 05-10-20, 05:35 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2436 Post(s)
Liked 3,119 Times in 1,962 Posts
OR... you could have the BB she’ll shaved down.
that’s what I jokingly suggested above, but the crank and spindle taper might still be an issue?
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super