Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Need new shoes but maybe not road shoes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-20, 07:55 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 362 Posts

My current shoes, Shimano RC7, have served me well for a few years now but I think it may be time for new ones. I'm thinking this time around though that I don't need real road shoes, but something a bit more comfortable that will still take a Keo cleat. My feet generally need a wide shoe. When I tried Sidis in the past I could barely get my foot in until it was 2 EUR sizes up, and then felt big in the toe. When I bought the RC7, the guy at the store knew right off that those would fit. In any case, I'm looking for a more comfortable shoe, maybe with a little padding, but still stiff in the sole. When I buy running shoes they always feel like pillows for my feet, are there cycling shoes like that? Oh, I do like the twist to tighten feature of the RC7 instead of the velcro straps of the past.

The RC7 shoes hurt my feet now and I've been getting blisters this year, something that never happened before. I'm also getting older. At 65 maybe it is time to hang up the road shoes, but not the bike. Just make them more comfortable, dammit.

Going to bike shops is still not an activity that is easy as they are all still swamped and then enforce social distancing, so going around to try shoes on isn't so possible. And when I looked last time it was a pain just to find shops with shoes in the right size anyway. It's an expensive inventory item so stock is limited.

Any suggestions on shoes to try?
Old 07-13-20, 08:22 AM
JerryZ

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
All this sounds real familiar. I went through all the exact same problems as you. I was trying to convince myself I could wear the mainstream road shoes like Shimano, Northwave, Fizik and you name it. My feet were slowly getting mangled to the point I really could no longer stand it. I discovered Lake shoes. Even the regular width is a litter wider than the normal stuff and they also have a wide option in many of their models. Check out their website which is very informative. They have a procedure of how to measure your foot to ensure you get the right size. I think it will get you very close to what you're looking for. My last shoe was the Shimano RC9. I now have Lake 241X in their wide size. Also notice on the website the sizing chart that their shoes use 3 or 4 different last designs which will help guide you to the best fit. My current shoes are super comfortable and only 20 grams heavier than the Shimanos that were killing me. They are every bit as stiff as the Shimanos as well. Similar in price from what I can see.
BikeTiresDirect & Competitivecyclist both carry them on their online stores and they are both willing to work with you to be sure you get the right size.
Your feet will thank you. Best of luck!
Old 07-13-20, 09:33 AM
upthywazzoo 

Bikes: 1984 Trek 770

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by JerryZ
I now have Lake 241X in their wide size.
Lake is legit. I have the wide version of the CX237, which have been great. I'm also using Superfeet insoles.
Likes For upthywazzoo:
Old 07-13-20, 10:14 AM
zacster

There was a posting in the "your most recent cycling related purchase" thread about the Lake CX238 shoes that got me started on asking in the first place. I'll look at them, but my first reaction was that they were expensive. I think I had Lake shoes years ago. But what is money when it comes to the comfort of the feet.
Old 07-13-20, 11:52 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
There was a posting in the "your most recent cycling related purchase" thread about the Lake CX238 shoes that got me started on asking in the first place. I'll look at them, but my first reaction was that they were expensive. I think I had Lake shoes years ago. But what is money when it comes to the comfort of the feet.
When I feel that something is really expensive, I take the price and divide it by the number of years I expect to have it. That usually softens the blow. Expl: my Assos bibs, that fit me perfectly, cost me $139. That was 5 years ago. So far, that's $27.80 / yr. That's 5 yrs of joy. Given the quality I expect another 5 yrs.
Old 07-13-20, 01:17 PM
zacster

The number of years I expect to have anything bike related at this point is 5. I'll be 70 then and while I'd love to prove myself wrong, I'm not counting on the hard riding I still do now at 65. I don't remember exactly how long I've had my current shoes, but I think less than 5 years at this point.
Likes For zacster:
Old 07-13-20, 04:29 PM
Metallifan33

Bikes: Trek Domane SL 5

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 48 Posts
I have two pairs of Lake shoes. One MX 237 and one CX238. I have wide feet and always have trouble finding shoes that fit correctly. Both shoes are size 43, but the 238's are bigger (more space behind the ankle). Other than that, the shoes are great. Expensive, but if other shoes don't fit, I don't really have much of a choice.

Old 07-13-20, 07:02 PM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
I made the switch to a more comfortable/ample, and walkable shoe years ago. One of my goals was to standardize pedals - I use Speedplay, and to wear the same shoe on my two clipless-pedal bikes. I replaced "sleek" Northwave road shoes like these: https://www.amazon.com/Northwave-Bla...rel&sr=1-4with
with these Pearl Izumis that I still wear: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Unfortunately, these are currently-at-least not available -at least not at Amazon, but I really have liked these, including their relatively (only) stiff soles -plenty for my riding, and I now would never give up laces again -I knew I wanted this, but I was surprised how much I've valued, enjoyed it. I even like/appreciate the ritual of lacing up. BTW, REI had to do some serious cutting to fit the second set of Speedplays I purchased there. This is more compromising than many are ready to do, but I've never looked back. I use them for both my BMC FS bike and my Trek Domane. My other bikes just have flexible platform pedals that accommodate every even-more-comfortable shoe and boot I own. Enjoy your shopping and eventual selection, although you're right -supplies are slim these days, though I haven't had to shop for shoes at all.
Old 09-01-20, 04:26 AM
zacster

I need to revisit this. I did a long ride yesterday, 50 miles but slower than I'd normally do it as I was with my daughter and she's not a serious rider (but did the 50 with no complaints.) Anyway, about 10 miles into the ride I realized my feet were starting to hurt as always. On top of that I have a huge blister on the side of one foot from wearing flip-flops too much. I had to do the mind trick to keep me going through the pain.

And to restate my original goal, are there any shoes that will take a 3 bolt pattern cleat that are NOT hard road shoes? The Lakes are tempting to look at, but even the picture above makes me think they are still made like road shoes. I would try adding some padding to my current shoes but there really isn't much room. Runners would never put up with shoes like this. Just because cyclists don't bounce up and down in them doesn't mean they shouldn't be comfortable.
Likes For zacster:
Old 09-01-20, 05:04 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
I have a pair of wide ones. I have to wear them tighter than I would normally like, or my foot moves forward and my 5th toes rub. That said, they’re the closest to a good fit I’ve had in about 45 years of wearing road shoes and the quality is tops.
Old 09-01-20, 05:48 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
You may have to move to two bolt SPD to find softer shoes. Not the end of the world. I have the A600 pedals and Shimano RTxx "touring" shoes. The soles are actually a little softer than I'd prefer but less clunky than MTB shoes.
Old 09-01-20, 06:21 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Another wide footer, here. Softer/more flexible/casual shoes have never done anything to help alleviate cycling foot pain for me. At best, they've removed one type of pain and replaced it with another. I'd third or fourth or whatever the Lake recommendation. If nothing else, they have shoes with the same lasts (Competition, maybe?) as the 238 but at lower price points - $99 on sale for some of the non-carbon lace-ups CX-1, IIRC.
Old 09-01-20, 06:32 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Lake has a pretty comprehensive size guide on its site. You can measure your length and width to determine which of their three lasts fits you best - or doesn't.

And if you are still unsure, send your measurements to their customer service email and see what they suggest.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 09-01-20, 07:05 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 183 Posts
See this thread: Tails from a Big Foot Cyclist

As we age, our feet spread-out which means that shoes that once fit may no longer fit What I find particularly annoying about the cycling industry as that most manufacturers make shoes for pencil-thin European feet, leading those of us with wide feet down a very expensive and frustrating path.
Old 09-01-20, 07:25 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
What I find particularly annoying about the cycling industry as that most manufacturers make shoes for pencil-thin European feet....
Not just shoes either. Cycling clothing in general is not sized for we fat Americans. To be fair, I should be more annoyed with myself for being fat than with the rest of the world for not catering to my lack of restraint at the dinner table.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 09-01-20, 07:28 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Not just shoes either. Cycling clothing in general is not sized for we fat Americans. To be fair, I should be more annoyed with myself for being fat than with the rest of the world for not catering to my lack of restraint at the dinner table.
LOL! If it makes you feel better, the entire world is having weight issues, not just the USA. While one can have some control over his or her weight, one can't really control one's foot width short of sawing off a few toes
Likes For PoorInRichfield:
Old 09-01-20, 07:48 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
LOL! If it makes you feel better, the entire world is having weight issues, not just the USA.
Hey now - don't go down-playing our one true area of world-wide exceptionalism. We're #1 ! We're #1 !
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 09-01-20, 07:51 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
two quick points: one - oversize is generally the right size. feet, and especially toes, swell during rides. the shoe that fits at mile zero does not fit at mile 30. (you probably knew that, but newbie readers learn here). two - if ordering online, chose seller with free returns. order size you think you need and one size up. gently walk around the living room carpet with both, then take the one you believe will accommodate the swelling appropriately. return the other pair to seller at no cost, 'cept maybe shipping. PS: my $300 shoes are a hell of a lot more comfortable than my $125 shoes; I don't believe you always have to pay more, but I do think that better shoes get a better build and better materials.
Old 09-01-20, 07:59 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
When I feel that something is really expensive, I take the price and divide it by the number of years I expect to have it. That usually softens the blow. Expl: my Assos bibs, that fit me perfectly, cost me $139. That was 5 years ago. So far, that's $27.80 / yr. That's 5 yrs of joy. Given the quality I expect another 5 yrs.
+1

I tried to explain this theory here a few years ago, and you wouldn't believe the amount of criticism I got.
Old 09-01-20, 08:01 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
I need to revisit this. I did a long ride yesterday, 50 miles but slower than I'd normally do it as I was with my daughter and she's not a serious rider (but did the 50 with no complaints.) Anyway, about 10 miles into the ride I realized my feet were starting to hurt as always. On top of that I have a huge blister on the side of one foot from wearing flip-flops too much. I had to do the mind trick to keep me going through the pain.

And to restate my original goal, are there any shoes that will take a 3 bolt pattern cleat that are NOT hard road shoes? The Lakes are tempting to look at, but even the picture above makes me think they are still made like road shoes. I would try adding some padding to my current shoes but there really isn't much room. Runners would never put up with shoes like this. Just because cyclists don't bounce up and down in them doesn't mean they shouldn't be comfortable.
This is an mtb shoe, but the sole is a good stiffness and it has a built in expansion area for a wider foot. You can see it in the pic.
I am on my 2nd pair now. The current model has the boa version that you can micro adjust tighter and looser.

Shimano a600 pedals are spd and lighter than some of their road pedals. These shoes are heavier than a road shoe by a few ounces per shoe. The tradeoff is more comfort.
The total difference in shoe and pedal systems is negligable.
Old 09-01-20, 08:07 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
+1

I tried to explain this theory here a few years ago, and you wouldn't believe the amount of criticism I got.
Oh...I'd totally believe it.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 09-01-20, 08:25 AM
zacster

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
You may have to move to two bolt SPD to find softer shoes. Not the end of the world. I have the A600 pedals and Shimano RTxx "touring" shoes. The soles are actually a little softer than I'd prefer but less clunky than MTB shoes.
This is the problem though. I'm using Assioma Power meter pedals, which are only Keo compatible. If they were regular pedals I'd consider switching. I tried SPD on my commuter bike at one point but took them off, I found them not as easy to get out of than my Keos, and that's the last thing I want when I'm on the streets of Manhattan.

I saw Specialized has the Torch 2.0 shoe, which is more of what I was thinking. I'd have to try them on but sizes are hard to come by online. I have no idea if they are any good, or would be good for me.

I've expanded around the middle a bit myself but just started buying larger jerseys. The bigger problem is the length, they are all cut so short and if you have a middle they seek the part that isn't as wide. Not a pretty sight.
Likes For zacster:
Old 09-01-20, 10:02 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
This was the argument I made to ultimately get custom shoes. I spend close to 500 hours a year in cycling shoes, and my shoes last 4-5 years. That's a lot of time, and my comfort is more than worth it.

Also, as I've gotten older, and more financially stable, I am much more willing to invest in my comfort.
Old 09-01-20, 10:38 AM
jfh

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 4 Posts
See this thread: Tails from a Big Foot Cyclist

As we age, our feet spread-out which means that shoes that once fit may no longer fit What I find particularly annoying about the cycling industry as that most manufacturers make shoes for pencil-thin European feet, leading those of us with wide feet down a very expensive and frustrating path.
I've also run into this with soccer cleats, my other longtime hobby. It became harder and more painful to squeeze into the narrow "speed boots" I favored as a younger man. So now I look for cleats with a little more width; New Balance has some wide versions that work for me.

Echoing others in this thread, I have Lake MX237s in regular width, and they are really comfortable on my feet.
Old 09-05-20, 08:30 PM
pcunite

Bikes: 2016 Salsa Warbird 105

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I don't think I have wide feet, I think they are normal. Which is why I buy shoes that are the shape of a human foot! Wish there was an Altra Escalante 2 for cycling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.