Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Bike Paint of Coming Off :(

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New Bike Paint of Coming Off :(

Old 08-30-20, 09:50 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
New Bike Paint is Coming Off :(

Just picked up a brand new Scott Addict last week.

In the course of a week, I've noticed the black paint is coming off. This can't be normal, right? The frame still feels smooth. Its almost as if the external coating of paint wasn't baked on properly. Guess I'll have to go back to my LBS and hope for the best. Not impressed.

Last edited by WorldIRC; 08-30-20 at 10:12 AM.
Old 08-30-20, 10:41 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
Weird, please let us know what the shop says. Hopefully it wasn't wiped off with something inappropriate.
Old 08-30-20, 10:59 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Weird, please let us know what the shop says. Hopefully it wasn't wiped off with something inappropriate.
Nothing inappropriate. I've owned black matte carbon bikes for 10 years now, never an issue. The bike is only a week old. Just a clean rag and a bit of dish soap after my first ride.
Likes For WorldIRC:
Old 08-31-20, 09:07 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bike is heading back to the LBS tomorrow.
Old 08-31-20, 11:19 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Are you referring to the fact that you can see the carbon weave?

If so, that is completely normal. It's not uncommon for matte black frames to have a very thin layer of paint over the carbon. Paint can add a lot of weight to a frame, and the Addict is Scott's light climbing bike.
Old 08-31-20, 12:09 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Originally Posted by topflightpro

If so, that is completely normal. It's not uncommon for matte black frames to have a very thin layer of paint over the carbon. Paint can add a lot of weight to a frame, and the Addict is Scott's light climbing bike.
Neither that weave (nor the wear on the top tube) was visible prior to my cleaning off the bike. That is my concern.
Old 08-31-20, 01:05 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I'm still trying to find anything on the top tube. The cloth showing around the brake mount looks sort of intentional since it seems to have a clean and regular edge. I too have seen frames that show cloth through the finish coats on some bikes. With different finishes they might not be noticed in some light or when lit from certain directions. So missing it the first time or two you cleaned it wouldn't be unexpected. I've seen all sorts of things I never saw the first time.

The middle pic. Well that spot could be anything. I have all sorts of things get on both the back and front of my forks when riding. Is this missing clear coat that has exposed the layer below?

I've been told that Scott has a great customer service response when needed. So check with them directly if the LBS response isn't quite what you think it should be.

However be certain it's not just some protective coating that they didn't wash off the bike before giving it to you.
Old 08-31-20, 01:44 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by WorldIRC
Nothing inappropriate. I've owned black matte carbon bikes for 10 years now, never an issue. The bike is only a week old. Just a clean rag and a bit of dish soap after my first ride.
Did you notice anything unusual or significant on the rag afterwards?
Old 08-31-20, 03:48 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Originally Posted by one4smoke
Did you notice anything unusual or significant on the rag afterwards?
Not at all, and that's what's strange about it. The rag is clean.
Old 08-31-20, 03:50 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Originally Posted by Iride01
I'm still trying to find anything on the top tube. The cloth showing around the brake mount looks sort of intentional since it seems to have a clean and regular edge. I too have seen frames that show cloth through the finish coats on some bikes. With different finishes they might not be noticed in some light or when lit from certain directions. So missing it the first time or two you cleaned it wouldn't be unexpected. I've seen all sorts of things I never saw the first time.

The middle pic. Well that spot could be anything. I have all sorts of things get on both the back and front of my forks when riding. Is this missing clear coat that has exposed the layer below?

I've been told that Scott has a great customer service response when needed. So check with them directly if the LBS response isn't quite what you think it should be.

However be certain it's not just some protective coating that they didn't wash off the bike before giving it to you.

Where I've circled is not just light, its an actual difference in the finish now.
Old 09-01-20, 11:19 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Went to the LBS. Almost all the matte Scott bikes have similar characteristics. I suspect it's just a part of the paint process. Regardless, LBS will reach out to Scott to find out a bit more and will get back to me.
Likes For WorldIRC:
Old 09-01-20, 11:25 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Yeah, you're good. It may have been that the lighting or angle changed, making the weave more visible, but that is pretty common on any frames with a matte black paint job.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 09-01-20, 11:48 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Yeah, you're good. It may have been that the lighting or angle changed, making the weave more visible, but that is pretty common on any frames with a matte black paint job.
I've had both a Trek Madone and Cannondale Synapse, both matte black. This was not an issue or thing on either of those bikes. That being said, I'm feeling better that other models have the same thing.
Old 09-01-20, 12:00 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts

+1. Under direct sunlight, I can see the carbon fibers through the clear coat of my bike's top & seat tube. It's gloss black & red. It's even more noticeable after a fresh wax!
Likes For eduskator:
Old 09-01-20, 12:05 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by WorldIRC
I've had both a Trek Madone and Cannondale Synapse, both matte black. This was not an issue or thing on either of those bikes. That being said, I'm feeling better that other models have the same thing.
I have a matte black 2015 Domane, and it has a few chips. The paint is fairly thick, and has a primer layer, so the CF definitely won't show through.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 09-01-20, 12:31 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Originally Posted by noodle soup
I have a matte black 2015 Domane, and it has a few chips. The paint is fairly thick, and has a primer layer, so the CF definitely won't show through.
Likely the same on the Cannondale and Specialized
Likes For WorldIRC: