Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Washer between steel frame alum rack?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-04-20, 11:49 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts

Should I put a washer between a steel frame and an aluminum rack?

Nylon washer?
Old 10-04-20, 12:23 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3862 Post(s)
Liked 6,450 Times in 3,190 Posts
I don't use them on my grocery getter, a '75 Motobécane with rear rack. My eyelets are threaded, so, I just use the 4mm allen bolts at the bottom. On top, the brake bolt isn't long enough to use a washer with the fixing nut.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 10-04-20, 12:38 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
If any, I would use a stainless washer. Remember that the bolt needs to be under constant tension in order for it not to loosen. A nylon washer is likely to compress or shrink over time, allowing the joint to loosen.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 10-04-20, 12:46 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4789 Post(s)
Liked 3,915 Times in 2,546 Posts
I never put washers there and in fact believe solid contact between the rack and fender eye is good. Means the bolt is entirely in shear and tension and can best do its job of holding the rack securely. (Maybe hard on the eye paint. I've always considered the paint on the inner and outer surfaces of eye and dropouts to be temporary.)

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 10-04-20, 12:59 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I never put washers there and in fact believe solid contact between the rack and fender eye is good. Means the bolt is entirely in shear and tension and can best do its job of holding the rack securely. (Maybe hard on the eye paint. I've always considered the paint on the inner and outer surfaces of eye and dropouts to be temporary.)

Ben
+1
Imagine you HAD to use 1" long spacers. Think how that would "leverage down" and tend to bend the bolt every time you hit a bump.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 10-04-20, 01:29 PM
tyrion

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
+1
Imagine you HAD to use 1" long spacers. Think how that would "leverage down" and tend to bend the bolt every time you hit a bump.
I actually do have 1/8" spacers in there now because 12mm bolts would touch the disc without them. I have shorter bolts on order so I can get rid of those spacers.
Old 10-04-20, 01:42 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 405 Posts
Washers are to protect the joint surfaces from tightening, distribute the load evenly under the nut and in some applications the stress under the edges of the hex head can cause deformation. I suspect none of these apply in this application and many others.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 10-04-20, 03:01 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
Washers are to protect the joint surfaces from tightening, distribute the load evenly under the nut and in some applications the stress under the edges of the hex head can cause deformation. I suspect none of these apply in this application and many others.
Yes the big point here is a washer spreads the load. A washer will keep the aluminium from deforming.
Old 10-04-20, 06:02 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,136 Posts
And nothing in this discussion about using a lubrication for the threads to keep from seizing via dielectric activity. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 10-04-20, 06:27 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,259 Times in 868 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
I actually do have 1/8" spacers in there now because 12mm bolts would touch the disc without them. I have shorter bolts on order so I can get rid of those spacers.
A hacksaw can shorten small bolts quickly. Or 3" cutoff wheel.
Just screw a nut on first to use as a thread chaser after the cut.
A few careful, light strokes with a fine file can remove any burrs.
Old 10-05-20, 06:28 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
And nothing in this discussion about using a lubrication for the threads to keep from seizing via dielectric activity. Smiles, MH
Good point, I see Tyrion is in lovely San Diego where galvanic corrosion can be an issue in a somewhat corrosive atmosphere. Down here in Tucson no worries, I think we have had 1.5" of rain this year!
Old 10-05-20, 06:37 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
I always use nylon or rubber washers between accessories and the frame. Mostly to protect the paint, but also as a load distributor where the surfaces are not machined perfectly, or where the angles may not line up correctly (such as with a rack mount and the fender eye). Part of my bike maintenance therapyroutine is to go over the bike periodically and check all fasteners, or at least most fasteners. I certainly do catch the accessory bolts and snug them if they need it.

It's definitely more ideal to always have a fastener under constant tension, and to not have materials that contract or expand between the fastener and the clamped work, but I've also never had anything fall off my bike and the certain downsides to using a soft washer don't seem to bubble up in practice, at least for me.

Last edited by hokiefyd; 10-05-20 at 06:40 AM.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 10-05-20, 06:53 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I think a nylon washer between the rack and frame is a bad idea. The majority of the rack load is held by the clamped joint between the frame and lower leg of the rack, and this must be tight as to allow no movement when a load is present and especially when riding over a rough surface with a load on the rack. A nylon washer will not have the shear strength to hold the rack still so the load will wind up being transferred to the M4 bolt, which will not take much abuse before bending and breaking.

In short, this sounds like a problem in search of a solution, but one which causes another problem.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 10-05-20, 12:04 PM
tyrion

Good point, I see Tyrion is in lovely San Diego where galvanic corrosion can be an issue in a somewhat corrosive atmosphere. Down here in Tucson no worries, I think we have had 1.5" of rain this year!
Yeah I have a corrosion problem. Things corrode pretty fast where I live.
Old 10-05-20, 12:17 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4789 Post(s)
Liked 3,915 Times in 2,546 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney

Ben
Actually I lied. I do use washers/spacers when they are necessary to move the rack stay out beyond the fork or seatstay. It's a compromise and the bolts usually don't last nearly as long. Bent aluminum rack stays and the scraping of paint over the steel fork/stay being the alternative. The bikes I've had to do that on aren't good cargo/truck bikes in my opinion, but if that's what I have, I do it/
Old 10-06-20, 05:15 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
A shot of WD40 or equivalent every now and then will hold off the corrosion. I routinely treat every threaded part of my bikes.

Stainless washers would work, but most racks have thick enough ferrules that you shouldn't need a washer to distribute the load.

Best way I've found to shorten bolts is a small belt sander. I have a knife sharpener with 60 grit belts. Works perfectly, seems to round the end of the threads so nuts screw on without drama. If you do cut a bolt with a hacksaw or cut off wheel, thread on a nut first so you can back it out and chase the threads before cleaning up the cut with a small file or sandpaper.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 10-06-20, 06:28 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
I was thinking the same about galvanic action, which in theory could cause corrosion (dissimilar metals in an electrolye...).
The short answer is I wouldn't worry about it, but I agree that lubrication is a good idea.
Old 10-07-20, 06:07 AM
easyupbug 

Stainless steel would one of the worst materials to use in this case as the combination of aluminum and stainless steel is notorious for causing accelerated galvanic corrosion.
Old 10-07-20, 09:21 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 667 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Stainless steel would one of the worst materials to use in this case as the combination of aluminum and stainless steel is notorious for causing accelerated galvanic corrosion.
And yet every bike I own has stainless hardware, even the 40 year old aluminum ones.