Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cracked frame welding

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Cracked frame welding

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-20, 07:10 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by 5 mph
Hello Bill
Can we please de escalate and see what we have in common and try to be more friendly in the future?
I know you are a good guy because you have answered a lot of my posts.
Last time you meant well and told me I had a taut cable on my Front Derailleur. and that was why it was skipping the middle gear.
A week later I disassembled the shifter and it was jammed and the cable was installed incorrectly by the previous owner... The shifter was pretty complicated and like a Swiss Watch ..After putting it back together the bike downshifts perfectly.
You also made the statement that some people have no mechanical ability., As a parent, I winced at your your choice of words. Never say that to a child.
Just as you have strong views and words at time, I have a stubborn side and I don't like to give up.
Also I have kids and a family and I just can't buy a new bike like everyone else
By welding and sliding a reinforcing cuff over the crack after welding it , and welding the cuff also ,(see below) the bike will hold together until something else breaks in the future, but by then I can save for another bike.

Oh.... don't worry about it. He ignores anyone he considers is not as bright as him, including me. I've just done a search for fun and it seems it's like a hobby for him. I'm wondering if there's someone who is not either ignored or about to be ignored by him: https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffsb&q=%22...ums.net&ia=web

Regarding the frame, I understand the value it may have to you, but I think it's time to replace it. If it was steel it probably could be done for cheap, but aluminium is not that easy to weld if you want a good repair, and I don't think doing a good repair is worth it in this case.

Last edited by Amt0571; 10-16-20 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-16-20, 07:57 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
A welder might have one of two different attitudes regarding a fix.

Attitude #1 is to butt weld the break and install reinforcement cheap and dirty. May work or it may not work but the welder will hand you a frame that looks repaired. Basically the welder considers this a busy work job and will tell you up front no guarantees. Five minutes and $25

Attitude #2 will look at it from a structural perspective. He will grind off most the the existing factory fillet for the dropout and clean up the break area, butt weld what is left to hold position using some kind of fixture to keep everything lined up while welding. He will attempt to rework the existing dropout fillet and dress up the entire chain stay area once finished welding. One hour plus materials and fixtures $100 and still no guarantees but the repair will look professional.

My opinion is the frame is toast, plain and simple. True, a repair may work but it may also not work. This is the big problem with Al and CF frames in my judgement. If Specialized will not work on a solution I'm afraid the only alternative is a replacement frame at the customers expense. It is true that some posters have made a persuasive case for repair even based on experience that doesn't change the fact that the frame is a scrap although it's demise might be put off for a time. The damage is located in a place that offers very little purchase for an effective repair.

My son is a welder and has numerous military and aerospace certifications. Given the frame material and location of the damage and the intended purpose of the frame, he wouldn't touch this job with a 10 foot pole. The liability isn't worth it...to him.
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 10-16-20, 08:36 AM
5 mph

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts
The repair has held up so far but it does make me wonder. The frame itself looks so frail compared to my mountain bike. When you ride a fixed gear bike, you really wrestle with it at times when you climb hills. Or you might hit a pothole. So far I've put another 400 miles on it, but I am building a new bike as a caution.
Likes For 5 mph:
Old 10-17-20, 09:20 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
If you could find one the right size, I would have put a short piece of tubing inside, champfered the broken edges and then welded it up. A good welder could do that.
Old 10-17-20, 02:04 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Thanks for the followup, but do let us know if the repair fails or if it is still repaired in 6 or 12 months. Welding AL tubing 1/16" thick takes some experience
and sleeving it or adding a gusset to the seat stay might improve the longevity but it is still a dicey repair, fortunately in an area where catastrophic failure
that leads to a crash is unlikely.
Likes For sch:
Old 10-17-20, 05:35 PM
MR BIG STUFF

Bikes: 95 Cindercone

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Has anyone on this forum experienced a cracked frame?
The bike is a 2005 Specialized Langster I ride iit 20 miles a day., up and down hills..I love this Fixed Gear Bike. Today,I heard a rattling sound I thought was from my drivetrain. I got home and found this crack. in my frame.

If any of you have experienced this:
1. Is there anything special I should know before taking it to an aluminum welding shop? (I have a Gas Mig Welder but not a Tig Welder). Did you take it to a high end bike shop , or did you take it a to a general aluminum welding shop.

2. I was having problems with my chain coming off. I pulled the chain taut when I installed the tire last time. I pulled on the tire hard, to get rid of the slack in the chain. Could this have caused /contributed frame failure.? With the taut chain, did the frame lost its flexibility? Or was it fatigue?

It's dead.
Get a new frame, that cannot be fixed.
Old 10-18-20, 12:02 AM
5 mph

Maybe this information will be useful to someone else.
For reference information only.
Used reinforcing sleeve to TIG weld it.
Its held some 420 miles now .

Likes For 5 mph:
Old 10-18-20, 05:21 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
If I were going to look at the potential cause of that chainstay failure I'd start with the rear hub to make sure it wasn't undersized and causing the dropouts to be drawn in when tightening the axle. I'm not saying that's the cause, it's just the first thing I'd look at.
Old 10-18-20, 05:36 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
As already mentioned, it’s in a good spot to have a failure. The crack reappearing is unlikely to be catastrophic.
Another option is to sleeve it with carbon fiber. There are repair kits commercially available at reasonable cost. A 2 mm thick sleeve somewhat decently applied will be plenty strong.
(deliberately omitting considerable detail of CF work)
Likes For dabac:
Old 10-18-20, 06:04 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Go to a competent welder. Try motorcycle repair shops, preferably an independent not a dealer, especially guys who do custom work. Or even better a welding shop that specializes in Al.
Make it clear you don't expect a guarantee.

Heat treat etc etc I wouldn't bother. Yeah, maybe it'll crack, then again maybe it won't. You obviously didn't have a catastrophe when it broke this time, and the second time should be the same. Keep an eye on it. Might get weeks out of it, might get years.
I concur.
Old 10-18-20, 06:51 AM
MR BIG STUFF

Bikes: 95 Cindercone

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Maybe this information will be useful to someone else.
For reference information only.
Used reinforcing sleeve to TIG weld it.
Its held some 420 miles now .

Likes For MR BIG STUFF:
Old 10-18-20, 10:41 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
You can find an old frame for a few bucks and put the components on it. Aluminum is so very recyclable make sure it gets to a scrap yard. Maybe it'll come back to you one day in the form of a beer can or maybe even a new aluminum bike.
Old 10-19-20, 11:19 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
It's working, that it is, but it's one ugly repair. Ride with caution my friend.
Old 10-19-20, 03:36 PM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 235 Times in 101 Posts
Aerospace welding is my profession. It will take far more time to properly clean & prep the joint area than it will to weld it. Don't MIG it use GTAW (TIG). The weld joint & Heat Affected Zone will naturally age to @ T4 condition. Properly done the repair should outlast the bike (& you!).
West
P.S. Remember it broke once it can break again!
Old 10-20-20, 07:33 PM
5 mph

Originally Posted by Thomas15
It's working, that it is, but it's one ugly repair. Ride with caution my friend.
Before I cleaned it up
looks really good now
Likes For 5 mph:
Old 10-21-20, 12:39 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Aluminum has a finite fatigue life. If after 15 years you have broken a tube there is a chance that anther will follow.
Old 10-23-20, 09:24 AM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
ClydeClydeson @ #24 is correct and very correct. Chain on a fixed gear bike is never operated taut. In addition to the eccentricity of chainring and cog that CC mentions there is the issue of frame flex. A Langster is a stiff bike, it is not perfectly rigid. The rear triangle of frame will and does flex side to side. This changes the effective length of chainstays.

The failure is precisely the failure to be expected from a taut chain. Doesn’t matter how effective the repair is. It will fail again, and so will the next bike, until the owner learns how to set chain slack. Guaranteed.
Old 11-10-20, 05:39 PM
5 mph

Originally Posted by 63rickert
ClydeClydeson @ #24 is correct and very correct. Chain on a fixed gear bike is never operated taut. In addition to the eccentricity of chainring and cog that CC mentions there is the issue of frame flex. A Langster is a stiff bike, it is not perfectly rigid. The rear triangle of frame will and does flex side to side. This changes the effective length of chainstays.

The failure is precisely the failure to be expected from a taut chain. Doesn’t matter how effective the repair is. It will fail again, and so will the next bike, until the owner learns how to set chain slack. Guaranteed.
Thanks that's good information. Do you have any guidelines or information on how to set Chain slack? I switched to a bike with a CR-MO frame, a Bianchi. It was sitting in some one's garage unused for a decade I remember on the Langster the chain was so slack it would pop off at times when I hit a bump.
The chain on my Bianchi is not taut but I'd like to introduce some slack as a precaution..I'm using chain tensioners. Probably tomorrow I'll nudge the tire a bit forward as a precaution
Old 11-10-20, 05:52 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Just a note, keep an eye on the other joints. I had a fork end break off once, and the fork end on the other side was hanging on by a thread. Having one joint break means the other joints are now taking weird asymmetric stresses.
Old 11-10-20, 06:03 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
I don't get all the "it's caused by a tight chain" comments. With how much force does a taught chain pull the rear cog and chainring together compared to the much bigger force of you stomping on the pedals uphill? That force is many times that of a taught chain - unless that chain is tightened by a ratchet.

That said, I'd get a new frame or even a new bike altogether. A broken frame is a good opportunity to try something new.
Old 11-10-20, 06:53 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane
I don't get all the "it's caused by a tight chain" comments. With how much force does a taught chain pull the rear cog and chainring together compared to the much bigger force of you stomping on the pedals uphill? That force is many times that of a taught chain - unless that chain is tightened by a ratchet.
In fact, the tension imposed by a taut chain (not "taught," FYI) is many times what any of us could muster through pedaling power. Try setting up a fixed-gear bike with an overly tight chain and you're hear metallic cracking noises coming from the drive train that you'd never hear when pedaling with a slacker chain. (I'm embarrassed to be able to report that as first-hand experience.) It's like Vice-Grips versus ordinary pliers in terms of the force applied.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 11-10-20, 07:04 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by Trakhak
In fact, the tension imposed by a taut chain (not "taught," FYI) is many times what any of us could muster through pedaling power. Try setting up a fixed-gear bike with an overly tight chain and you're hear metallic cracking noises coming from the drive train that you'd never hear when pedaling with a slacker chain. (I'm embarrassed to be able to report that as first-hand experience.) It's like Vice-Grips versus ordinary pliers in terms of the force applied.
I'm not a native English speaker. But thanks for the heads-up. If it's that taut that it makes crunching noises, how the hell do you ride it? The freehub/freewheel won't run freely and even going backwards on your pedals will be nigh on impossible.

Okay, so I guess when I talk about a "taut" chain, you are talking about something that is ratcheted to the very limit of what's possible on a bike while still being able to (barely) turn the wheels. In such extreme cases the frame must be distorted just by the extreme amount of tension.

In that case, yes, I guess a "taut" chain can indeed screw up your frame.
Old 11-10-20, 08:21 PM
5 mph

[QUOTE=CargoDane;21784381]I'm not a native English speaker. But thanks for the heads-up. If it's that taut that it makes crunching noises, how the hell do you ride it? The freehub/freewheel won't run freely and even going backwards on your pedals will be nigh on impossible.

Okay, so I guess when I talk about a "taut" chain, you are talking about something that is ratcheted to the very limit of what's possible on a bike while still being able to (barely) turn the wheels. In such extreme cases the frame must be distorted just by the extreme amount of tension.
The chain has slack but . I'm going to tuck the tire a bit forward tonight and induce a bit more slack. Can't go wrong because track bikes have chains that are so slack they can fall off.?
That's what I read
Old 11-10-20, 08:32 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Track bikes don't go over bumps, though. You don't want it that slack. FInd a middle point where there is some sag of both the bottom and top, but not extreme amounts of it.
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-10-20, 08:40 PM
5 mph

Originally Posted by CargoDane
Track bikes don't go over bumps, though. You don't want it that slack. FInd a middle point where there is some sag of both the bottom and top, but not extreme amounts of it.
am I too taut

? Is this too taut? The Langster is a backup now, the bianchi is my daily bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.