Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Smart Trainer Application

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-20, 04:02 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts

Hi all,

Last year I got a smart trainer and after the Zwift season ended i still wanted to be able to control it myself to use when the weather or timing was bad so that i could still ride. I ended up with a program that runs on a Windows PC. I would like to get a feel for what interest there might be in the BF community...to see if anyone is interested in using it. There is no catch, I do not plan on selling it, just giving it away, i am not asking for anything and don't want anything aside from suggestions and/or constructive criticism to just make it better. hell, you can bash it too for all i care.

i am not a software developer but i am a firmware engineer so although i have a good grasp regarding the coding aspect the UI itself is a bit rudimentary. but it does what i want it to do: power level based intervals, heart rate based intervals, custom grade, and what i really wrote this for: re-riding a past ride. completed rides can be saved and uploaded to strava (mostly works for me at least). there are a few things i need to work out yet but these are minor (so he says).

i'll answer more if there is any interest.

-scott
Old 10-19-20, 12:49 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 392 Times in 232 Posts
Although I have never tried it, I am pretty sure that with my Wahoo Elemnt and KickR Snap I can re-ride a past ride. No way I would spend hours in the saddle, but I'd like to do some of the hills.

What you seek may already be out there.
Old 10-19-20, 01:36 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
is it on github? What language?
Old 10-19-20, 02:24 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,566 Times in 3,764 Posts
Thread moved from General Cycling forum to Indoor Cycling forum.

Old 10-19-20, 05:18 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
If you ride a Wahoo trainer, there's some choices here: https://www.wahoofitness.com/fitness-apps
Old 10-19-20, 07:43 PM
spelger

Originally Posted by unterhausen
is it on github? What language?
it is on GitHub but the repository is private for the moment. most is done in c# with some c++. for a firmware guy it was definitely a learning experience.

i think what i am going to do is create another repository just for the Release bits and make that public.
Old 10-20-20, 08:23 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair
I am pretty sure that with my Wahoo Elemnt and KickR Snap I can re-ride a past ride. No way I would spend hours in the saddle, but I'd like to do some of the hills.

What you seek may already be out there.
Yes, this is out there. In my experience though, it does not do a good job replicating elevation changes and therefore trainer resistance. You get a little bit, but IME no where near reality. So it essentially ends up being this: following breadcrumb on navigation screen, seeing your selected data on your training screens. Elevation and resistance not good at all.

Maybe it works better on Wahoo trainers. It didn't work well (elevation and resistance only...all other data fields work fine) on my non Wahoo smart trainer.
Old 10-22-20, 08:11 PM
spelger

ok, for what it is worth i created a release repository and put the application here if anyone wants to use it:

https://github.com/spelger2/SycleRelease
Likes For spelger:
Old 10-28-20, 01:49 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
ok, for what it is worth i created a release repository and put the application here if anyone wants to use it:

https://github.com/spelger2/SycleRelease
Just read your ReleaseNotes and you're pretty crafty for a firmware engineer (software engineer here)

I'll give your program a try this weekend, I like utilitarian interfaces.

BTW I used to use the BKOOL free software 5-6 years ago, and they had very similar features to yours, such as loading an existing .FIT or .GPX file, and then riding that route.
Old 12-07-20, 10:26 AM
mcr23

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've just downloaded it from Github and will have a play around with it this week with my Tacx Neo. A quick look through the readme and it looks good though.
One thing I'd like, is the option to pair more than one trainer at the same time? I often ride side by side with my dad, both of us on a Neo. I'll try running two versions of your software, with one Sandboxed, but would be cool if you could implement an option to pair multiple trainers simultaneously.

Edit - I guess i won't have to use a Sandbox, it seems i can launch more than one instance of Sycle. Will see if pairing two trainers causes any issues, will report back here once I've used it. Looks great though.

Last edited by mcr23; 12-07-20 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-07-20, 02:07 PM
spelger

Originally Posted by mcr23
I've just downloaded it from Github and will have a play around with it this week with my Tacx Neo. A quick look through the readme and it looks good though.
One thing I'd like, is the option to pair more than one trainer at the same time? I often ride side by side with my dad, both of us on a Neo. I'll try running two versions of your software, with one Sandboxed, but would be cool if you could implement an option to pair multiple trainers simultaneously.

Edit - I guess i won't have to use a Sandbox, it seems i can launch more than one instance of Sycle. Will see if pairing two trainers causes any issues, will report back here once I've used it. Looks great though.
since i only have one Ant+ dongle i've only tested with one. i am pretty sure you won't be able to run two instances on the same machine and get the Ant+ pairing working properly. i'd need to take a look to see what it would take. it can be done, i just don't know what it would take at teh moment. i'll have a look at lunch today and see what it might involve.

-scott

EDIT: i misunderstood what you were asking. two Ant+ dongles...not sure why i was thinking that. anyway, the pairing dialog shows the first found. i *presume* it shows the first found that is not paired. so for two trainers i would assume that the first found will show up in one instance and then the other trainer would show up in the other instance, i really don't know since i only have one trainer. i also only have one HRM and cadence sensor. if this is the case then one instance could start and pair up the things that have power applied and are alive, then the other instance can be started and pair whatever is found, might work in the short term.

what i will need to do is change the pairing dialog to allow picking and choosing.

Last edited by spelger; 12-07-20 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-07-20, 06:35 PM
mcr23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
since i only have one Ant+ dongle i've only tested with one. i am pretty sure you won't be able to run two instances on the same machine and get the Ant+ pairing working properly. i'd need to take a look to see what it would take. it can be done, i just don't know what it would take at teh moment. i'll have a look at lunch today and see what it might involve.

-scott

EDIT: i misunderstood what you were asking. two Ant+ dongles...not sure why i was thinking that. anyway, the pairing dialog shows the first found. i *presume* it shows the first found that is not paired. so for two trainers i would assume that the first found will show up in one instance and then the other trainer would show up in the other instance, i really don't know since i only have one trainer. i also only have one HRM and cadence sensor. if this is the case then one instance could start and pair up the things that have power applied and are alive, then the other instance can be started and pair whatever is found, might work in the short term.

what i will need to do is change the pairing dialog to allow picking and choosing.
Yep, I'll be using two Ant+ dongles. I'll hopefully get across the garage and test it out this evening or tomorrow and let you know how it goes. But yeh that would be great if you could add some kind of pairing dialogue eventually.
Old 12-11-20, 03:33 AM
mcr23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry for the delay - i got around to testing it last night, and two at the same time worked using Sandboxie to isolate the second instance of the program. I had to use my main PC, as the laptop I use in the garage is only running 32 bit windows 10 and kept giving an error about the ANT+ layer and closing when the program opened. Will try and get a screengrab of the error message.
The program itself is great, haven't tested the Strava link yet, but will do.

Managed to grab a screenshot of the error, and i was wrong - the laptop is running 64 bit windows 10, so that doesn't seem to be the issue.

Last edited by mcr23; 12-12-20 at 10:06 AM.