Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do these parts fit together?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-20, 03:28 PM
gergokee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi everyone, im struggeling with putting together (renewing) a bike.
I bought a threaded 1 1/8" SUNTOUR XCM V3 fork for a bike. Then i realized i should have bought threadless :/

Now im trying to make it work so i will buy this:
Threaded headset

But i also need a quil stem but im not sure, would this be okay for that:
Quil stem

So my question is would these 3 work together and fit ? I know i also have to saw off parts of the fork but that is just another problem for the future.
Old 10-20-20, 03:40 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
The fork and the headset will work together, but the quill stem/threaded-to-threadless adapter you’ve linked to will not. It’s for an 1” fork, with a 7/8” ID.
Yours is an 1 1/8” fork with an 1” ID.
Old 10-20-20, 08:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
The most important thing is getting the correct parts. Just admit you made the mistake, try to sell the fork and get the correct fork for it. That fork is a cheaper coil fork so nothing to start changing parts over. If it were some amazing air shock in good shape or something super rare and high quality maybe but even then I would rather just have a newer fork that is under warranty and not used and possibly blown out or tough to get parts for.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 10-21-20, 04:59 AM
gergokee

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you, but then this one should be okay no ?
https://bikeshop.no/xlc/2501568800/x...gaffelr%c3%b8r
Old 10-22-20, 08:25 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by gergokee
Your problem is you are looking at random parts instead of getting the correct fork for your bike. The fork you purchased is incorrect and does not work for you bike. You need to find a threadless fork like this one of course assuming you need it for a 26" wheel and QR lever. The Rockshox listed is of quality and will be a good long lasting fork and most importantly is threadless meaning it will work on your bike. If you are looking for just a purely cheap fork, SR "Suntour" and RST make some cheap stuff as well as some medium to higher quality stuff (mostly for modern wheel sizes) but again you need to get it in a threadless version.

Forget about adaptors and different headsets and all of that, just accept you made a mistake, we all do, I have made more than my fair share. Then sell the other fork and buy the correct threadless fork. Maybe take the bike to your local shop and ask if they can help you source the correct fork
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 10-23-20, 10:05 AM
gergokee

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes i see your point and thank you for helping me... but i already said in my first message, when i started the thead:
Then i realized i should have bought threadless
, which means i admit i made a mistake

My question is still the same, if i were to go with my MISTAKENLY bought fork, would this product fit with the MISTAKENLY bought fork, and the headset i linked

(I was already considering to buy another fork before making this thread, but i might choose the other path. This is why i made the thread.)
Old 10-23-20, 10:11 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
One thing to keep in mind with threaded forks is that they have to be exactly the correct length for the head tube length. If too short, the headset will have nothing to thread onto. If too long, you run out of threads before your headset reaches the correct adjustment, If you bought a threaded fork by mistake, it is also very possible that you didn't buy the correct length steer tube. Threadless forks are easier in this respect, they are all too long when purchased and simply have to be measured and cut to length
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 10-23-20, 11:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Yes i see your point and thank you for helping me... but i already said in my first message, when i started the thead: , which means i admit i made a mistake

My question is still the same, if i were to go with my MISTAKENLY bought fork, would this product fit with the MISTAKENLY bought fork, and the headset i linked

(I was already considering to buy another fork before making this thread, but i might choose the other path. This is why i made the thread.)
Yes you did sort of admit that but then you haven't moved on and that is the problem.

As alcjphil said you may have the incorrect steerer length so the incorrect fork you purchased may be even more incorrect for your I screwed up let's keep going down that path idea. As I said just go for the correct fork, sell this fork and be done with it. No need to keep down that path.

Seriously just get the correct THREADLESS fork in 1 1/8" it is way easier and much smarter. Trust me threaded forks aren't worth the time and hassle. There is a reason I didn't keep my Klein frame, finding a fork was a nightmare, 1" threaded suspension fork that has a long enough steerer tube. It would have been much worse if I was having to convert it to something else because I bought the wrong part. 1 1/8 threadless parts are easy to find threaded stuff is not.

That part may or may not work but it really doesn't matter when you have the wrong fork in the first place. I won't stop saying it because there is no point in swapping stick with threadless, plenty of options and well supported and easy to find parts for all over from the cheap to the high end. If I walked into my shop and said I want to convert from threadless to threaded 1 1/8" they would laugh their asses off and rightly so because they know I would have lost my mind at that point.

I get it, it sucks you made the wrong purchase and maybe can't return it, I have done that plenty of times but I moved on and just accepted it or resold the item later and made some or all of the money back.
Old 10-24-20, 01:39 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Yes, that one should mount right up.
Old 10-26-20, 02:18 AM
gergokee

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thank you, im odering than
Old 10-26-20, 02:20 AM
gergokee

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
One thing to keep in mind with threaded forks is that they have to be exactly the correct length for the head tube length. If too short, the headset will have nothing to thread onto. If too long, you run out of threads before your headset reaches the correct adjustment, If you bought a threaded fork by mistake, it is also very possible that you didn't buy the correct length steer tube. Threadless forks are easier in this respect, they are all too long when purchased and simply have to be measured and cut to length
It is perfect size, i measured everything only question was if this quill stem.
Old 10-26-20, 02:24 AM
gergokee

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Yes you did sort of admit that but then you haven't moved on and that is the problem.

As alcjphil said you may have the incorrect steerer length so the incorrect fork you purchased may be even more incorrect for your I screwed up let's keep going down that path idea. As I said just go for the correct fork, sell this fork and be done with it. No need to keep down that path.

Seriously just get the correct THREADLESS fork in 1 1/8" it is way easier and much smarter. Trust me threaded forks aren't worth the time and hassle. There is a reason I didn't keep my Klein frame, finding a fork was a nightmare, 1" threaded suspension fork that has a long enough steerer tube. It would have been much worse if I was having to convert it to something else because I bought the wrong part. 1 1/8 threadless parts are easy to find threaded stuff is not.

That part may or may not work but it really doesn't matter when you have the wrong fork in the first place. I won't stop saying it because there is no point in swapping stick with threadless, plenty of options and well supported and easy to find parts for all over from the cheap to the high end. If I walked into my shop and said I want to convert from threadless to threaded 1 1/8" they would laugh their asses off and rightly so because they know I would have lost my mind at that point.

I get it, it sucks you made the wrong purchase and maybe can't return it, I have done that plenty of times but I moved on and just accepted it or resold the item later and made some or all of the money back.
Thank you for your answer
I know that it is easier to buy threadless. Thing is that this threaded fork is :
  • brand new
  • perfect size for the bike (even though it needs to be cut maybe a little)
  • would be nearly impossible to sell it, and im currently not in the position that i can do so
So: It will function perfectly and now the shorter easier solution is to go with it.
Old 10-26-20, 04:43 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Thank you for your answer
I know that it is easier to buy threadless. Thing is that this threaded fork is :
  • brand new
  • perfect size for the bike (even though it needs to be cut maybe a little)
  • would be nearly impossible to sell it, and im currently not in the position that i can do so
So: It will function perfectly and now the shorter easier solution is to go with it.
You have just told me you need to cut it. You cannot really cut a threaded fork. You need the right threads and the right length on the fork or a very expensive tool to rethread the fork. It is not a tool I would want to buy and I would still need a die and guide for it which would bring my total for the toolset to over $500 or I can decide to not thread it properly and possibly not have enough threads and have a fork that doesn't fit right and is not safe. I love tools, a lot but owning a fork threading tool and then a die and guide for an even more outdated size of threads is silly. The only reason I would want to do threaded forks is because I have a vintage bike and so far I have always bought it with the fork and if I really need to replace the fork I will have the builder of the fork get it threaded for me which they would do anyway.

Your "solution" is a tougher prospect. You have to remove the old headset which requires removal tools and then install a new headset which requires the proper headset presses. If you just get the right fork you don't need to remove what could be a perfectly good headset for something else that is potentially less reliable for off road situations.

Spending more money on parts and labor (or tools to DIY) to make a screw up sort of work is silly. It is not like this is an upgrade for your bike it is actually a downgrade even if your old fork wasn't working there are tons of options for 1 1/8 threadless forks in all sorts of combinations of brakes, axles, and even suspension and non-suspension and suspension corrected.