Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-20, 05:07 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Originally Posted by Lattz
Hey Wildwood.... seeing this and your bike list no wonder you didnt want make an n+1 with the Rossin lo pro. Awesome machine, congrats!
Hey @Lattz - i said somewhere - too old for Lo-Pro, the Rossin was likely too small, and an experienced man knows his limitations. I also passed on a Schauff, maybe just getting too picky.
Old 10-26-20, 05:28 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Hey @Lattz - i said somewhere - too old for Lo-Pro, the Rossin was likely too small, and an experienced man knows his limitations. I also passed on a Schauff, maybe just getting too picky.
​​​​Hey @Wildwood I know you told it at the TT forum. Wanted to pull your leg by mentioning a 60+ food delivery guy in my city (which is flat as a pool table) who's one of the coolest bikers around in my eyes ignoring the corp issued delivery ebikes and making the job with a DH Mountain Bike with Lefty, but for sure I get your point as well. Im 37 and sometimes already feel old even for my road bikes asking myself do I need this? But of course I do. My heart would shout for that Rossin l, not my wrists and backbone though. Was the Schauff also a lo pro?
Old 10-26-20, 05:30 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,178 Times in 1,182 Posts
Originally Posted by Lattz
Hey Wildwood.... seeing this and your bike list no wonder you didnt want make an n+1 with the Rossin lo pro. Awesome machine, congrats!
Wildwood
Agreed...that is a beauty!!!!
Best, Ben
Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 10-27-20, 06:14 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Thanks for clearing that up, John. I never knew that tool existed! I guess this shows you how many Campy chains I got in this shop!
Old 10-27-20, 07:23 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins
Thanks for clearing that up, John. I never knew that tool existed! I guess this shows you how many Campy chains I got in this shop!
This is the first Campagnolo chain I've used as well. Campagnolo sells their own peening chain tool, but it's god-awful expensive, and BikeToolsEtc has the Park CT-11 on closeout sale for only $20 right now. Apparently the CT-11 has been superseded by the CT-4.3.
Old 10-27-20, 09:37 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
I spent some time this morning messing around with chain tension and chainring concentricity with my Mercian - which now wears Crank Brothers Egg Beaters. Twenty years after I swore off clipless on pavement, I've decided to give it another try.

Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 10-27-20, 10:32 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
I trued the rear wheel on my Super Course. It wasn't bad, but it was on my list so I removed the tire and mounted the wheel on my truing stand and did a better than on-the-bike job. I like to get of our bikes in fine tune every so often, and I'm going through all our bikes and doing this.

I also went to all the bikes and made sure each one has a headlight mount and a taillight mount for battery lights. We have various model taillights which all use the same type of mount, so that's good.

mrv, it's a common mistake to call them Heliomatic, but the correct name is Helicomatic.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-27-20, 06:47 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Rebuilt a ‘96 Litespeed. Came to me with Campy, but, um, not.

Version RT1 was Ultegra 6800 with Bontrager RXL TLR wheels. 50/34 and 11-28. Worked well. Boring! I also could use a bit more climb.

I built a 1x10 years ago, SRAM. That approach is different. I have a current 1x11 SRAM Force, really different.

Version RT2 began with a Ritchey Carbon fork. Big improvement. Picked up SRAM Red 2x10. Very light. Interesting. No crankset, Went with Stronglight Pulzion. If you find one < $200, buy it. The learning curve was there, YouTube helped. 50/34 and 12-30. Rolf Vector Pros came out of hiding, and a helping of Chinese carbon finished it off.

17.2 lbs of totally different bike.
It’s 20 years better. Much more agile.
I think W. David Lynskey would approve.

Shakedown is 80 miles on Saturday.
Go big or stay home.

Frame - BF C&V
Fork - BF C&V
Group - BF C&V
​​​​​​

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 10-28-20 at 06:24 AM.
Old 10-27-20, 06:57 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
Twenty years after I swore off clipless on pavement, I've decided to give it another try.

You can always carry street shoes in that little seat bag....
Great colors, great crankset. Great job.
One of those builds you walk over to.
Old 10-27-20, 09:36 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Finished the '72 Torpado. Wow. No words. Amazingly smooth ride. A keeper, for sure.

Old 10-28-20, 06:02 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Saving junk! At the LBS on Monday, I noticed a very rusted Suntour RD in the scrap bin, so rusted that I could not read the model number on the chromed steel outer plate. But, in my experience, few of these RDs have seen enough use to be worn out. So I brought it home and salvaged the salvageable bits - adjustment screws, cage rotation stop pin, body tension spring, wheels. You never know when you or someone will need em. Ex: I know that Suntour adjustment screws are not the same thread as those on the omnipresent Shimano RDs, and the Suntour wheel axles are a different diameter. And I really like Suntour Cyclone derailleurs and intend to keep me running.
Old 10-28-20, 07:35 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
This is the first Campagnolo chain I've used as well. Campagnolo sells their own peening chain tool, but it's god-awful expensive, and BikeToolsEtc has the Park CT-11 on closeout sale for only $20 right now. Apparently the CT-11 has been superseded by the CT-4.3.
Buying from BikeToolsEtc is always a good choice. And Park Tools make awesome chain tools.
Old 10-28-20, 03:52 PM
eom 
Eccentric Old Man

Bikes: 1986 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1979 Schwinn Traveler III, Trek T100, 1995 Trek 970, Fuji America

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 87 Posts
That's a sweet looking bike!

Originally Posted by jim dandy
Cannondale Winter Project is Done ... Build is Finished . Bike Shop is Closed for the Winter ...
JD

Old 10-28-20, 06:52 PM
spoefish

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A strange 1997 Specialized Sirrus

I picked this up at a local Goodwill last year and turned out to be more useful than I expected. Recently turned 80, and over the last few years I have discovered that my perfect frame size has gone from 58 cm to 54 cm. Most of my current lifetime collection of road bikes(Schwinn Paramount, Woodrup, Mercian, Surly, Austro Daimler, Fuji Opus III) are 58 cm. My Kona Sutra is a 54 (mismarked as a 58), and I have a nice 1983 Trek 700 that is just a tad over 22" so it will be ok. And my mountain bikes are very forgiving and will be ok as well. The Specialized Sirrus seems to be a version that they made only in 1997. NIce steel tig welded cromo butted frame, beautiful ruby metallic paint, and came with a 7 speed RSX group. Rear dropout spacing is 130 so no problem there. Digging through my parts collection I have found all the Shimano 9 speed pieces I need to bring it up-to-date a bit (9 is up-to-date for me). The frame seems to be much better than the RSX group so I don't mind doing the upgrades. Have to decide to stick with my usual bar end shifters or use a new set of 9 speed 105 brifters I found in my parts box. I will get some pictures posted later, but would be interested in any experience anyone has had with this frame. Next project to to take the Trek 700 - bought it in 1985 from someone who had upgraded it with Campy Super Record. I have enough old Suntour to put it back in the original configuration with a triple crank and a cyclone GS rear. The old legs need all the low gears they can get... Cheers and stay well
Old 10-29-20, 08:00 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Needed a bottle cage and clamps for the Torpado and couldn't wait, so I snagged the Velo Orange one from the old Paramount. In doing so, I found a mess of rust on the Schwinn's down tube cable guide around the bolt. Really surprising, 'cause I don't ride much on wet pavement and I just built up the bike like five years ago. The rust was thick, too. Over thirty minutes in naval jelly didn't get it, so I used some 80 and 600 grit. Then added some clear nail polish. It looks a little worse for wear, but so does the Schwinn's paint.

And here's the cage on the new bike.

I ordered the same one as a replacement for the Schwinn. Didn't want to spend $22 on it, but waddya gonna do? Nothing in my bin looked appropriate...
Old 10-29-20, 08:13 PM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 145 Posts
This RM Hammer was a complete basket case, with a rusted frame, seized DX rapidfire shifters etc., but it was original, so did a re&re with new white paint and decals, got the driveline working again and put some period rubber on.
Likes For VtwinVince:
Old 10-30-20, 05:25 AM
viperocco

Bikes: 05 Fuji Outland Pro, Fuji cape may, Giant simple single, Peugeot Corbier, Miyata 215st

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts
Finished Peugeot Corbier project

Finally got this on the road. Was a little more involved than I had planned at first but was worth the experience.

The rust I was dealing with

Kubota orange

Rides great, needs a new seat, seatpost and couple other minor items
Likes For viperocco:
Old 10-30-20, 08:32 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 951 Posts
Takara Competition, Tange no. 2 tubing. The Black Widow cleaned up very nicely.

Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 10-30-20, 08:45 AM
viperocco

Bikes: 05 Fuji Outland Pro, Fuji cape may, Giant simple single, Peugeot Corbier, Miyata 215st

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Takara Competition, Tange no. 2 tubing. The Black Widow cleaned up very nicely.

Nice work on the wheels
Old 10-30-20, 08:49 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by viperocco
Nice work. What was your paint stripping process/materials?
Old 10-30-20, 09:15 AM
viperocco

Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Nice work. What was your paint stripping process/materials?
Thank you. There was a bit of a learning curve as it was my first time on this type of project but what worked for me was an orbital sander with 100 grit to remove the bulk. Went through 6-7 sanding discs, perhaps more. Sanded by hand and used wire brushes on a drill where the sander could not reach, then used 220-250 grit wet sand after paint was removed. Then primed, sanded, painted.
Hope that helps.
Likes For viperocco:
Old 10-30-20, 09:48 AM
mattk42

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by spoefish
I picked this up at a local Goodwill last year and turned out to be more useful than I expected. Recently turned 80, and over the last few years I have discovered that my perfect frame size has gone from 58 cm to 54 cm. Most of my current lifetime collection of road bikes(Schwinn Paramount, Woodrup, Mercian, Surly, Austro Daimler, Fuji Opus III) are 58 cm. My Kona Sutra is a 54 (mismarked as a 58), and I have a nice 1983 Trek 700 that is just a tad over 22" so it will be ok. And my mountain bikes are very forgiving and will be ok as well. The Specialized Sirrus seems to be a version that they made only in 1997. NIce steel tig welded cromo butted frame, beautiful ruby metallic paint, and came with a 7 speed RSX group. Rear dropout spacing is 130 so no problem there. Digging through my parts collection I have found all the Shimano 9 speed pieces I need to bring it up-to-date a bit (9 is up-to-date for me). The frame seems to be much better than the RSX group so I don't mind doing the upgrades. Have to decide to stick with my usual bar end shifters or use a new set of 9 speed 105 brifters I found in my parts box. I will get some pictures posted later, but would be interested in any experience anyone has had with this frame. Next project to to take the Trek 700 - bought it in 1985 from someone who had upgraded it with Campy Super Record. I have enough old Suntour to put it back in the original configuration with a triple crank and a cyclone GS rear. The old legs need all the low gears they can get... Cheers and stay well
7 speed is the most up to date for me, and I'm ~1/3 your age You're more with the times than I am. I recently broke a non-drive crankarm, on my drop-barred late 80s Rockhopper Comp, some unidentifiable Shimano crankset of probable 90s origin. Thankfully the local coop had just reopened a few days before (they had been holding out to implement some improvements for covid precautions: hand washing and air flow related) and I was able to score a nice Shimano Deore LX set and found some decent condition Sugino rings. The Deore set is the versatile 110/74 BCD triple and I got exact gearing I wanted 48-36-24. Nice high end for riding the flats and good low for climbing the gravel forest roads. No ramps/pins on any of the chainrings though and I was concerned that shifting may not be good. However, I use bar end shifters on this bike and on the stand and in use the shifting is superb. If you're planning on shifting a Suntour triple drivetrain that may be something you want to consider too. I bet the 105 brifters would handle a Suntour freewheel just fine but I can't say from experience whether the front will shift well with a brifter. My road bike is a indexed Suntour variety with a straight toothed Suntour 6 speed freewheel, and it shifts great.
Old 10-30-20, 08:56 PM
thorstein

Bikes: 1969 Raleigh Twenty, 1975 Raleigh DL-1, 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport, 1989 Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I ended up replacing the 3-Pulley LePree rear derailleur with a 3-Pulley XC. I think this is about 38T of wrap.
Any particular reason you used the XC over the LePree? I'm thinking about using a LePree 3-pulley on my '84 Stumpjumper.
Old 10-31-20, 03:20 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,865 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by thorstein
Any particular reason you used the XC over the LePree? I'm thinking about using a LePree 3-pulley on my '84 Stumpjumper.
Yeah, the band spring that pulls the cage back broke in the LePree. I originally bought the XC just to get the spring and fix the LePree, but I couldn't get it out so I just cleaned up the XC and used it.

Last edited by Andy_K; 10-31-20 at 03:25 PM.
Likes For Andy_K:
Old 10-31-20, 05:15 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
My bro-in-law just brought this by for a once-over, a Panasonic Tourist 5 that someone gave him. It was sold at my old alma mater, Two Wheel Travel, and according to the shop sticker it was assembled by Bryan, who is still spinning wrenches in town. Nice little bike, but this one has unfortunately been parked near pool chemicals or fertilizer because the normally terrific chrome is peeling on the crank and rims. Shame. Paint is still in great shape and it must have never been ridden. 22" frame should fit his bride perfectly. I think the derailleur and shifter have been replaced because these FFS bikes usually had Positron on them.

Likes For thumpism:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.