Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Welding is not a "Trade".

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Welding is not a "Trade".

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-20, 11:33 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
One of the things about "trades" is that one can be certified with book smarts. Or one can have street smarts.

In the computer industry, one can read about computers all one wishes, but one needs to have the hands-on experience to do support, as well as the problem solving skills for when something new comes up.

As far as welding... one can lay down a pretty bead, but it also has to be STRONG, and in some cases impermeable to fluids or gases. Thus, we still have welding certifications for many industries.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 10-18-20, 01:31 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
There are definitely people welding all day at their jobs. Sure, a lot of machinists do it as part of their jobs too. But there are more "welding" shops in this area than "welding and fabricating" shops. It's sad what some welders get paid though.

There is a local trade school that has a welding program where the grads get jobs if they can weld. Some people decide to go into it as a trade just to have a job and have not talent at it. But I don't think that's particularly common
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 10-18-20, 02:32 PM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
There will always be some welding jobs that it doesn't make sense to outsource because you can't ship a whole bridge, railway station or complete system of pipes from China. There are also people who want a gate or railings or something made to measure to fit with other things in an existing location.
Likes For guy153:
Old 10-18-20, 10:25 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
We may no longer be fighting WWII, but there is still shipbuilding in the USA.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 10-20-20, 11:33 PM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
I am a car mechanic by trade - apprenticed, qualified and all the rest, but I have barely practiced my trade in 35 years. It is not important whether something is or isn't practiced by many. A trade is a trade, until the last tradesman dies, because it is a skill set that one trains and qualifies for. I think it is important not to confuse the tradesman with the opinion of one's favorite media about industry today.
Old 10-21-20, 05:42 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
As someone who welds as a hobby and follows welding on social media outlets, I can assure you that there are many people who weld every day as a job.
Old 10-26-20, 08:06 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
People, I think my post has been possibly misconstrued. I was simply saying how much respect I have for people that make their living using a stick welder. That or how much respect I have for people that CAN stick weld. I too went through all the steps to reach master plumber and worked that trade for 48 years. I am simply stating how difficult I find stick welding and wanted to express my respect for all that can to it so well. As stated above, when I weld there is a reason it is called "Stick" welding.
Be safe all, Frank.
Old 10-27-20, 04:22 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
I think most of us got the point of your original post. Nessism took it in a different direction with his assertion that welding is no longer an actual trade.
Likes For dsaul:
Old 10-27-20, 07:00 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
I don't know why it never occurred to me that calling it "stick" welding was so appropriate. The rod sticking is definitely a problem for a beginner. I assume that it's not so much of a problem for more accomplished stick welders. Although I wonder how many of those there are in the age of MIG and TIG.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 10-27-20, 10:52 AM
guy153

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I don't know why it never occurred to me that calling it "stick" welding was so appropriate. The rod sticking is definitely a problem for a beginner. I assume that it's not so much of a problem for more accomplished stick welders. Although I wonder how many of those there are in the age of MIG and TIG.
Stick is still used a lot on thicker materials where its main rival is "dual shield flux core" which uses both a flux cored wire and a shielding gas at the same time.
Likes For guy153: