Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Buying a stolen bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Buying a stolen bike

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-20, 02:01 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by Olefeller77
I bought a $40 old steel bike at an estate sale with locked cable lock wound around under the seat . I wasn't the least bit concerned that it might be stolen . I lifted the fenders and collapsing steel rack and gave it to an old fella down the street.
Not once did I have a thought it might be stolen.
The mindset of some people scares the bejeebies out of me.
Most likely explanation would be that the person that owned the bike died, along with the key or combination.
Old 10-31-20, 02:03 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
This item is being offered for sale publicly, for all to see. There is nothing underhanded occurring at all.
You really think that no bike thieves ever sell stolen bikes on Craigslist?
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 10-31-20, 02:08 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Not the ones who live in $250,000 houses, with several MB's in the driveway.
Old 10-31-20, 02:09 PM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by biker128pedal
I agree it looks like it’s not worth the time. One thought. On the same site or Craig’s List did anyone post a picture of the assembled bike reporting it stolen? I look over Craig’s List just to look. A few years ago I saw a nice Specialized road bike list for sale. Then a few listings later a post with a picture about a so similar bike being stolen. Came out good. Contacted the guy who posted it stolen with the sellers link. The Richmond police took care of it and the bike was returned. Not sure what happened to the crook. Does not happen often but a nice ending. On the motorcycle sites victims post pictures and VIN number. So if a possible buyer searches for the VIN it will pop up.
For bicycles, you can use https://bikeindex.org/. I registered my bikes there.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 10-31-20, 02:16 PM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
He hears a bike has a lock on it and is sold by someone with a drug arrest and concludes the bike is stolen- thats basically the perfect reason to say he jumped to conclusions.
I wouldn't say he jumped to conclusions, but made a logical conclusion. It doesn't take much for people who are familiar with sketchy behavior to put 2 and 2 together.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 10-31-20, 02:50 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
And if you're selling a stolen frame why the heck wouldn't you take the time to cut the cable lock off first?
Because I'm not a stupid addict who stole it out of someone's garage with the lock on and didn't know how to cut a cable lock? Way too much assumption that criminals are actually smart. I defend them for a living, and I'm also sure you've seen enough to know they're often anything but smart.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-31-20, 02:56 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Olefeller77
I bought a $40 old steel bike at an estate sale with locked cable lock wound around under the seat . I wasn't the least bit concerned that it might be stolen . I lifted the fenders and collapsing steel rack and gave it to an old fella down the street.
Not once did I have a thought it might be stolen.
The mindset of some people scares the bejeebies out of me.

Context is everything there. Huge differences between an estate sale and some guy with a classified ad. Also, this is just a frame attached with a lock, which is a bit weirder.
And just out of curiosity, was it an estate sale of a known meth user?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-31-20, 03:00 PM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Because I'm not a stupid addict who stole it out of someone's garage with the lock on and didn't know how to cut a cable lock? Way too much assumption that criminals are actually smart. I defend them for a living, and I'm also sure you've seen enough to know they're often anything but smart.
I worked as a police dispatcher for 15 years. I've seen my fair share of stupid criminals. One of my favorite examples was the boyfriend-girlfriend team who went to some small car lot to test drive a used car, drove to Walmart to have the key copied, then drove it back to the car lot. That night they took their copied key to the car lot, stole the car, and then parked it in their driveway to load it up with their stuff to drive to California. In doing so, they accidentally locked their key in the trunk. They still made it to California but were arrested and extradited for the car theft.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 10-31-20, 03:15 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I see locks on bikes for sale and don't think they are stolen. I think they were locked up when ridden places.
I see bikes for sale with stuff on em that isnt for sale like bottles, GPS, and wedge bags. I see bikes for sale with flat tires, chains off rings, and bars flipped up.
i mention this because i see bikes for sale in various forms of condition and don't think they are stolen. I just think the owners are lazy and/or don't know any better.
Leaving a lock on the bike isn't an indicator of theft to me. Maybe I am missing something obvious here.

Its all about what the default perspective is. If Glenn looks at all bikes and considers them stolen until proven otherwise, then the Glenn didn't jump to conclusions.
Thats an exhausting way to live, but sure i accept he wouldn't jump to a conclusion since its his default position for everything used.
One sould ask why they would participate in used sales if they consider everything stolen though. And perhaps Glenn only buys new unless someone has paperwork dating back decades in hand.

The jump to conclusions mat is a perfect meme as it references a hilarious scene of a funny movie and describes Glenn's response. He hears a bike has a lock on it and is sold by someone with a drug arrest and concludes the bike is stolen- thats basically the perfect reason to say he jumped to conclusions.
At least it is the perfect reason for me to say it.

Perspective is fascinating.

Suggest you brush up on the reading comprehension. He never concluded anything but that's there's a high enough probability that it's stolen that he shouldn't buy it. That's entirely rational. I part ways with him when he suggests buying and getting it checked out by the police. That isn't rational, but not for the reason you give.

From what I know of meth users, this gets pretty close to a "more likely than not" standard for me.

Also, unless you're completely compulsive hoarder or some kind of resale merchant, a presumption against buying any particular used good is your default. Do you seriously go to garage sales and buy everything that doesn't look stolen? My suspicions about this item would just be a thumb on a scale that generally defaults to "not worth my time." It's actually the opposite of exhausting, it's time saving.

And I find it very weird that someone took everything off of this frame but the lock with the intention of selling the frame. There could be an innocent explanation, but I'm not betting on it if I don't know the seller or have other indicia of reliability.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-31-20, 03:20 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I worked as a police dispatcher for 15 years. I've seen my fair share of stupid criminals. One of my favorite examples was the boyfriend-girlfriend team who went to some small car lot to test drive a used car, drove to Walmart to have the key copied, then drove it back to the car lot. That night they took their copied key to the car lot, stole the car, and then parked it in their driveway to load it up with their stuff to drive to California. In doing so, they accidentally locked their key in the trunk. They still made it to California but were arrested and extradited for the car theft.
Don't forget the bank robber who wrote the note on a deposit slip from his own checkbook!
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-31-20, 03:26 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I used to live in Manchester NH, and there was a pawn shop that was very well known to be a fencing operation. It took the cops years to build the case that they just weren't sloppy with the paperwork and were actually intentionally dealing in stolen goods. If you think it's difficult to get away with on Craigslist, I've got a few bridges to sell you.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-31-20, 03:56 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 440 Posts
You really think that no bike thieves ever sell stolen bikes on Craigslist?
Sure, people sell all sorts of things on Craigslist that are not on the up-and-up. That's the exception and most things sold on Craigslist are NOT stolen. The assumption that this bike is stolen is based only on the fact that the guy is a drug user - that's it. No actual reason. It's like assuming that a used car you're looking at was probably used to commit crimes, just because you find out the guy selling it has a criminal background.

It doesn't sound like it's a lot of money to risk, on the one-in-a-million chance that the police show up at your door and confiscate the bike as evidence. That could happen with anything.
Old 10-31-20, 04:17 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Suggest you brush up on the reading comprehension. He never concluded anything but that's there's a high enough probability that it's stolen that he shouldn't buy it. That's entirely rational. I part ways with him when he suggests buying and getting it checked out by the police. That isn't rational, but not for the reason you give.

From what I know of meth users, this gets pretty close to a "more likely than not" standard for me.

Also, unless you're completely compulsive hoarder or some kind of resale merchant, a presumption against buying any particular used good is your default. Do you seriously go to garage sales and buy everything that doesn't look stolen? My suspicions about this item would just be a thumb on a scale that generally defaults to "not worth my time." It's actually the opposite of exhausting, it's time saving.

And I find it very weird that someone took everything off of this frame but the lock with the intention of selling the frame. There could be an innocent explanation, but I'm not betting on it if I don't know the seller or have other indicia of reliability.
Oh my gosh, he concluded that since a guy has a drug arrest record and a lock is on the frame, its most likely stolen.
I think such a conclusion is a big jump, since nothing more was specifically known about the seller, so I posted a well known pop culture joke referring to that conclusion I think he jumped to.

I get it, you don't feel like it was a big jump to make. Ok then, cool. You have made your points well known, yet I still think the meme was very applicable.

Here is a well known gif that is now quite applicable-
Old 10-31-20, 04:25 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Gee. Wonder what happened to the OP after browsing the classifieds as he always does.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-31-20, 05:15 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Oh my gosh, he concluded that since a guy has a drug arrest record and a lock is on the frame, its most likely stolen.
I think such a conclusion is a big jump, since nothing more was specifically known about the seller, so I posted a well known pop culture joke referring to that conclusion I think he jumped to.

I get it, you don't feel like it was a big jump to make. Ok then, cool. You have made your points well known, yet I still think the meme was very applicable.

Here is a well known gif that is now quite applicable-

I'm going to be charitable and assume you realize the irony of posting THAT meme after you post the exact same points for the third time.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 11-01-20, 08:23 AM
Synack42

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 17 Posts
I suppose an intact lock on a bike pic wouldn't set off any alarms for me. Spray paint definitely does though. I've seen this one on my local FB listings lately... If it was the original owner doing it to make it less of a target I think they would have done it a bit neater back in the day.

Old 11-01-20, 01:53 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1460 Post(s)
Liked 1,480 Times in 870 Posts
I have questions:

1. This is a Bianchi frame being sold, not a complete bike... "a nice older model that looks to be in good shape". I'm curious as to what model, what year, and what the listing indicated and/or how the OP was able to identify the make and model of the frame.

2. There is a cable lock attached to the frame, which everyone including the OP is pointing to as evidence that it's stolen. Was the complete bike stolen without cutting said lock? If the bike was a complete bike when stolen, are we to believe that the thief had the tools and knowledge to completely strip down the bike to the bare frameset but didn't bother to cut off a cable lock? Or are we to believe that the frameset was already stripped down, but also locked up? Surely someone who steals bikes knows how to cut a cable lock, right? It takes about 3 seconds with some bolt cutters.

3. What are the "local classifieds" where this bike frame was spotted? I would like to see photos, read the description, know the asking price, and most importantly understand how the thread starter was able to identify the seller and look at their "other items" that they're selling, and see what was so alarming about the profile pic that resulted in searching court records. I've never seen a classified listing that includes a sellers full name and a photo of them. It's worth noting that Craigslist does not disclose the identity of sellers in listings, and the thief in this story has presumably chosen to sidestep craigslist in favor of "local classifieds" that requires lots of identifying information and a profile pic.

4. The OP is considering buying the frame (to take to the police!), but is worried that a meth addict will then know where they live. I'm very confused about this part because why would someone spend their own money on something they know is stolen only to turn it over to the police, and also they could just call the police now and never have to talk to the seller. It's also notable that purchasing items through a classified listing does not require someone to disclose their name or address. I've bought and sold many items on the internet and never disclosed this information to anyone

Last edited by msu2001la; 11-01-20 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-01-20, 03:13 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,414 Times in 2,752 Posts
^^^^We may all have fed the you know what on this one. I suggest OP post a screen shot of the ad before folks spend any more time here.
Old 11-01-20, 04:05 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Police in my town wouldn't do anything about a maybe-stolen stolen bike frame for sale.
Same here. In other instances not including bicycles, I've gotten the usual speech about having no witnesses, no victim, and that's what insurance is for.
Old 11-01-20, 06:40 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
If seller is indeed a meth-er you might be doing everyone a favor by buying his stuff. With enough cash, his next indulgence may be the one that fries him for good!
I like the way you think ......
Old 11-01-20, 06:57 PM
frogmorton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
If you decide to buy it, make the exchange in the police station parking lot. Our police encourage that. It is under video surveillance. He won’t know where you live. And if he won’t agree to it, something is wrong.
Likes For frogmorton:
Old 11-01-20, 09:16 PM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
Stolen bike or not, I'm excited to see how many cyclists know so many 'statistics' about drug addiction. Would love to see a post from someone listing their CV in research on drug dependency.

Or, perhaps, just simply stop talking out their rear ends.
Old 11-01-20, 11:19 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Originally Posted by Danhedonia
Stolen bike or not, I'm excited to see how many cyclists know so many 'statistics' about drug addiction. Would love to see a post from someone listing their CV in research on drug dependency.

Or, perhaps, just simply stop talking out their rear ends.
Why would someone need certified research experience just to list some stats that are readily available in Google searches?

It seems the same as most anything else that is studied and published- stats are available for simple reference.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 11-01-20, 11:25 PM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
If seller is indeed a meth-er you might be doing everyone a favor by buying his stuff. With enough cash, his next indulgence may be the one that fries him for good!
What a shameful thing to say.
Old 11-02-20, 06:15 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,414 Times in 2,752 Posts
Originally Posted by samkl
What a shameful thing to say.
I'd be more than happy to hear that the statistics I found were in error. What I found was that the recovery rate for meth addicts who were fortunate enough to receive residential treatment was only 12%. So 88% of those lucky ones plus virtually all of the others are destined to live short, miserable lives during which they will inflict pain and suffering on their loved ones and society in general. Who among them, if they were able to retain rational thought and and conscience, would not want a quick end?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.