Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-20, 01:14 PM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 161 Posts
Been “correcting” my recently acquired late 70’s Ritchey Palo Alto tandem. I guess a previous owner had wanted a triple so they had put a later Specialized triple crankset on the stoker drive side only. I yanked that and replaced with a correct and matching first-gen Dura Ace double (53/39). I also swapped out the stoker’s Sugino seat post with a Campy NR to match captain’s, and put on a proper pair of his and hers Brooks B17 Imperials. I borrowed the Silca pump from my wife’s Gitane Team Pro and put Avocet water bottle cages on...I had two yellow and one black so the black is down low and holds my period correct Kangaroo Bags tool roll. We have not been on a ride yet where this beauty isn’t ogled by someone.

Last edited by Markeologist; 11-01-20 at 01:19 PM.
Likes For Markeologist:
Old 11-01-20, 02:48 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Markeologist
Been “correcting” my recently acquired late 70’s Ritchey Palo Alto tandem. I guess a previous owner had wanted a triple so they had put a later Specialized triple crankset on the stoker drive side only. I yanked that and replaced with a correct and matching first-gen Dura Ace double (53/39). I also swapped out the stoker’s Sugino seat post with a Campy NR to match captain’s, and put on a proper pair of his and hers Brooks B17 Imperials. I borrowed the Silca pump from my wife’s Gitane Team Pro and put Avocet water bottle cages on...I had two yellow and one black so the black is down low and holds my period correct Kangaroo Bags tool roll. We have not been on a ride yet where this beauty isn’t ogled by someone.
So jealous, that thing is fantastic, very nice that you have sorted the details as it should be.

I finally acquired a frame that I should be able to ride, nothing like this but close in size, mixte stoker to MAYBE get Ms. merziac on but needs a lot of work.

This is my first tandem, fortunately the whole crankset is present and in ok to good working order so we'll see, HS was a mess but got it some sorted so should be good to go for the limited use this may see, may shoot for this spring to have it up and running, again, we'll see.

Last edited by merziac; 11-01-20 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-01-20, 02:51 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
@Markeologist I'm ogling, too. We have a cheap tandem, and it has to do for now.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-01-20, 05:23 PM
Markeologist

Bikes: Since new: 86 Rodriguez Tandem, wife's 87 Gitane Team Pro, 92 Burley Rock-n-Roll, 85 Fisher Comp, 88 Puch Pro, two 92 Bridgestone X0-1s; later: 66/67 Gitane Champion du Monde, 70 Gitane Super Corsa, 70 Carre, 87 Gitane Team Pro, 77/78 Ritchey Tandem

Thanks merziac and noglider...good luck with your tandems! My wife and I have been riding tandem since 1986/87 (before we were married) and we did our honeymoon on our Rodriguez in 1988 (which we still ride). Here is us with our Rodriguez at start of 2017 Eroica California BEFORE some @$$wipe stole our Scott Pederson self energizing cantilever brakes, stoker's Suntour XC seatpost with Brooks Pro saddle (my wife is still pissed about losing that), and our solar computer (night after our ride while bike was parked in facilities of our pretty high end hotel). For the record, I was wrenching on the Rodriguez just the other day!!!
Old 11-01-20, 05:37 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by Markeologist
Thanks merziac and noglider...good luck with your tandems! My wife and I have been riding tandem since 1986/87 (before we were married) and we did our honeymoon on our Rodriguez in 1988 (which we still ride). Here is us with our Rodriguez at start of 2017 Eroica California BEFORE some @$$wipe stole our Scott Pederson self energizing cantilever brakes, stoker's Suntour XC seatpost with Brooks Pro saddle (my wife is still pissed about losing that), and our solar computer (night after our ride while bike was parked in facilities of our pretty high end hotel). For the record, I was wrenching on the Rodriguez just the other day!!!
So cool, I was at that one too, only tandem I saw was the R Herse short couple blue one that was B*****N to be sure.

Hopefully the thieving B*****D's got/get their due which is of course is not likely.
Old 11-01-20, 06:24 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

@Markeologist, was it a women’s Brooks Pro? I might have one I could let go.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 11-01-20, 07:16 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts

Rebuilt these...

...added my signature half toe clips...great for winter riding...
Likes For billnuke1:
Old 11-02-20, 07:17 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by jim dandy
Got around to shooting some photos of the Cannondale I just finished ...
Here goes ...
JD

2001 Cannondale Caad4 R600
Your attention to detail is very good! Very nice job.
Old 11-02-20, 07:28 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Removed a very, very stuck bottom bracket. Not a hint of grease to be found anywhere. It required me standing on the wrench with my full weight to get it moving in the end.

Likes For JaccoW:
Old 11-02-20, 09:29 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
I have been fighting a front derailleur, SRAM Red 10-speed double.
You Tube only helped a little bit.
On an 85-mile shakedown ride, it did not want to climb to the big ring, then it tossed over.
Later on the same ride, it didn’t want to drop to the small ring, then it tossed to the BB shell.

Added a 2.5mm R BB spacer as the inner ring was very close, smaller cogs chattered on small-small.
I was running compact and 11-30 rear, so I figured chain slack was part of it.
Replaced the RD with a clutched X.9, rear is smooth and no slap.
Reset the FD per the video, and it really doesn’t want to drop to the inner.
Of course, backing off inner limit then compromises the shift to the outer ring. Aargh.

I am close to swapping in a Nuevo Record.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 11-02-20 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-02-20, 09:44 AM
viperocco

Bikes: 05 Fuji Outland Pro, Fuji cape may, Giant simple single, Peugeot Corbier, Miyata 215st

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
On an 85-mile shakedown ride, it did not want to climb to the big ring, then it tossed over.
Later on the same ride, it didn’t want to drop to the small ring, then it tossed to the BB she’ll.

Added a 2.5mm R BB spacer as the inner ring was very close, smaller cogs chattered on small-small.
Of course, backing off inner limit then compromises the shift to the outer ring. Aargh.

Dang, hang in there!
Old 11-02-20, 02:17 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Well done, @JaccoW!

Likes For noglider:
Old 11-02-20, 03:43 PM
Markeologist

Originally Posted by noglider
@Markeologist, was it a women’s Brooks Pro? I might have one I could let go.
Thanks for the thought but the one thing the hotel did do right was buy my wife a new Brooks Pro. In looking back I should have had them cover everything as I'm sure their insurance would have covered. The loss of the Scott Pederson brakes really pissed me off, they were first gen models I bought brand new at legendary Point Reyes bikes, an early Mtn Bike mecca. The brakes were designed for Mtn Bike use but I found them to be wonderful on the tandem (no matter what Sheldon and others said).
Old 11-02-20, 04:10 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Well done, @JaccoW!
+1
You must love that bike.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 11-02-20, 04:16 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
Removed a very, very stuck bottom bracket. Not a hint of grease to be found anywhere. It required me standing on the wrench with my full weight to get it moving in the end.

Nice! I would love to remove the bb-un55 as well but have no idea how to start it. Bearing disintegrated after 1 month so theres no space for the tool. It was the only new part of the bike Anyhow Im going to massacre it, will be well documented..

Last edited by Lattz; 11-02-20 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-02-20, 06:46 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,132 Posts
Later on the same ride, it didn’t want to drop to the small ring, then it tossed to the BB shell.

Robbie, just a guess but your problem may be your chainrings. I've heard that some of the 10 and 11 speed systems can be quite finicky if the chainrings aren't one of the few factory combinations. Seems that the ramps and pins are set up to work well only when they are matched between the two chainrings.
I was somewhat amused and a little curious why my SRAM Red 11 speed f. derr came equipped with a chain catcher to keep the chain from dropping off the inside of the front chainring, maybe because of the types of issues you are experiencing.
Brent
Old 11-03-20, 03:28 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

+1
You must love that bike.
I will once it's done but right now it's a project bike that definitely still needs some work. But it's one of my wishlist models and in a very rare size (66cm, a.k.a. my size )
Originally Posted by Lattz
Nice! I would love to remove the bb-un55 as well but have no idea how to start it. Bearing disintegrated after 1 month so theres no space for the tool. It was the only new part of the bike Anyhow Im going to massacre it, will be well documented..
What do you mean there's no space for the tool? Do you have a picture to show what you mean? As long as the splines on the cups are still there you will have plenty of grip to remove it. All you need is a way to keep the removal tool in place. I usually use a big washer ring and the crank bolt.
Old 11-03-20, 05:21 AM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

The splines are intact, so is the tool as both were brand new. So the axle is pointing to the side to an extend that I cant insert the tool in the slots.
Actually wanted to open a Help thread about it since I'm not 'wrenching" just would like to... but let the pictures talk.
Obviously methods implying big force are off, since I'm happy if the frame does not fall apart on its own. My planned idea was to drill/grind the cartridge to an extend where i can move the axle to a better pos, or remove it completely.
Odd, that the non-drive side is not as off as this, also I was able to remove the ring there.

Last edited by Lattz; 11-03-20 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-03-20, 07:23 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by Lattz
The splines are intact, so is the tool as both were brand new. So the axle is pointing to the side to an extend that I cant insert the tool in the slots.
Actually wanted to open a Help thread about it since I'm not 'wrenching" just would like to... but let the pictures talk.
Obviously methods implying big force are off, since I'm if the frame does not fall apart on its own. My planned idea was to drill/grind the cartridge to an extend where i can move the axle to a better pos, or remove it completely.
Odd, that the non-drive side is not as off as this, also I was able to remove the ring there.

Ah that looks like the dust cap popped out and it was improperly tightened. I would say start a thread. You can probably get that out just fine with a tool, a rod and some washers.

Here I removed the Drive side by fixing the tool in place with a washer and a nut:

And the non-drive side was done with the tool, a bolt and some washers on both the outside and the inside:

If you want I can shoot some better pictures to explain.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 11-03-20, 08:33 AM
Lattz

Ah that looks like the dust cap popped out and it was improperly tightened. I would say start a thread. You can probably get that out just fine with a tool, a rod and some washers.

Here I removed the Drive side by fixing the tool in place with a washer and a nut:
And the non-drive side was done with the tool, a bolt and some washers on both the outside and the inside:
If you want I can shoot some better pictures to explain.
Thanks! I've seen this method before, not sure from you or from someone else. it is actually really smart. I wonder, why the BB-key manufacturers think of releasing it in production. Mine has a driving pin (also a con in my current case), but they could have made it big enough and threaded.... file a patent before cyclus/park anyone does. And now.... I expect the shower of comments on how many manufacturers have it already (yeah, I'm here for tips )
Likes For Lattz:
Old 11-03-20, 12:53 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by obrentharris
Robbie, just a guess but your problem may be your chainrings. I've heard that some of the 10 and 11 speed systems can be quite finicky if the chainrings aren't one of the few factory combinations. Seems that the ramps and pins are set up to work well only when they are matched between the two chainrings.
BTW, the same is true of cassettes these days. If you (re)build your own cassette, the results may not be what you would hope for.

Old 11-03-20, 01:02 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked 3,122 Times in 1,964 Posts

Where does one get a wrench that beefy/long!?!?! I need one!
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 11-03-20, 01:58 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins
Your attention to detail is very good! Very nice job.
No kidding...wow!
Old 11-03-20, 01:59 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by jdawginsc
Where does one get a wrench that beefy/long!?!?! I need one!
Standard 32mm wrench. They go for about €16 at the local DIY/hardware store here. They seem to scale up in size.

Not sure where you could get them in the US?
Old 11-03-20, 02:21 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2439 Post(s)
Liked 3,122 Times in 1,964 Posts
Standard 32mm wrench. They go for about €16 at the local DIY/hardware store here. They seem to scale up in size.

Not sure where you could get them in the US?
Just bought one off Amazon...about that price. If I can't get the cup out with that, I give up.

And of course, as I speak, another seized project...this time a Dura Ace 7 speed freewheel on a Dura Ace hub.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.