Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rear Hub went out after 350 mles

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-20, 12:01 PM
RadDog
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts

Soooo, got a bike from BikeShopWarehouse (BSW). To meet the $1000 price point. They, of course, have to cut corners. Therefore the bike came with a nice carbon frame and low end wheels. I expected these wheels to last me at least a few thousand miles, but the rear hub went out after less than 2 months of riding.

My mechanic looked at the hub and the races are damaged, meaning the hub must be replaced. With labor that would be about $140. The cheap rim is only about $120 to replace.

Is it unreasonable for me to expect BSW to fix this?
Old 11-04-20, 12:13 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
No.

BTW...A few thouand miles on a hub is nothing. Tbe orginal set of wheels that came with my LHT logged many thousands of fully loaded touring miles between 2011 and 2018, including about 1,500 in one year alone, not to mention all the other miles of commuting, etc., Why would you expect so few? What make and model are they?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-04-20, 12:26 PM
crn3371

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts
Sounds like maybe the wheel was improperly assembled. Have you contacted BSW to see what they say?
Old 11-04-20, 12:26 PM
RadDog
Banned.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
No.

BTW...A few thouand miles on a hub is nothing. Tbe orginal set of wheels that came with my LHT logged many thousands of fully loaded touring miles between 2011 and 2018, including about 1,500 in one year alone, not to mention all the other miles of commuting, etc., Why would you expect so few? What make and model are they?
I don't. I expected more, but BSW reffuses to fix it, I just wanted to get some opinions. I think I am justified in filing a complaint w/ the BBC.

They are Joytech.
Old 11-04-20, 12:28 PM
RadDog
Banned.

Originally Posted by crn3371
Sounds like maybe the wheel was improperly assembled. Have you contacted BSW to see what they say?
I have. They refuse to fix it.
Old 11-04-20, 12:46 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by RadDog
I have. They refuse to fix it.
Well that sucks of them.

Why are you replacing the rim? Is it damaged?

Personally, I would consider it lesson learned and get a quality set of wheels built by someone who knows what they are doing. IMO, wheels are not the place to save money.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-04-20, 12:50 PM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
I would simply buy a new rear wheel. There is no sense in paying to replace the hub of a cheap wheel. It's a labor intensive process that will probably cost more in labor than would be the cost to replace the entire wheel.
Likes For mihlbach:
Old 11-04-20, 01:41 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by mihlbach
I would simply buy a new rear wheel. There is no sense in paying to replace the hub of a cheap wheel. It's a labor intensive process that will probably cost more in labor than would be the cost to replace the entire wheel.
This will raise the price a bit, but after you buy an inexpensive new wheel, have a good wheel mechanic make sure they're tensioned and stress-relieved correctly.

I'm not sure how you could get BD's attention. File a small claims suit, maybe? I can't imagine anything you could do to kill a hub in that short a distance, other than get run over by a train or something.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 11-04-20, 01:47 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
You can't make a warranty claim as having hubs go bust after 350 miles seems like it was not "fit for purpose"? I'd even go as far as take it with my bank/creditcard company if it was me.

Anyway, I'm also in the camp of buying a completely new wheel rather than try to repair parts of the old one. Get a reasonably good and rugged one made up.
Old 11-04-20, 01:51 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,929 Times in 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane
You can't make a warranty claim as having hubs go bust after 350 miles seems like it was not "fit for purpose"? I'd even go as far as take it with my bank/creditcard company if it was me.
Forgot about the credit card. Dispute the charge (pay it anyway), and let the CC company argue for you.
Old 11-04-20, 01:56 PM
RadDog
Banned.

Thanks guys....a couple of things: First, yes, it is not worth it to replace the hub, since the rim is only worth that much, in fact I can get a pair for $200.

To be clear, I did not get this bike from Bikes Direct (BD) I got it from BikeShopWarehouse (BSW). The bike has been plagued with problems. I think what happens is bikes are returned to BD, and then they are farmed out to BSW.

I purchased an inexpensive Motobecane Strada from BD, assembled it myself, and it has been FLAWLESS. The Immortal Spirit I got from BSW was nearly twice the price of the Strada and it has been in and out of the shop. BSW refuses to do anything so I am filing a complaint with the BBB.

In regards to the wheels....yes they are cheap and heavy. It is better to simply replace them. The game plan was to ride them during the winter while I saved up for a new set of wheels. I expected to get at least 2000 miles from them, not 350. Corona hurt my business, so I needed a little time to save up.
Old 11-04-20, 02:00 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Thanks guys....a couple of things: First, yes, it is not worth it to replace the hub, since the rim is only worth that much, in fact I can get a pair for $200.

To be clear, I did not get this bike from Bikes Direct (BD) I got it from BikeShopWarehouse (BSW). The bike has been plagued with problems. I think what happens is bikes are returned to BD, and then they are farmed out to BSW.

I purchased an inexpensive Motobecane Strada from BD, assembled it myself, and it has been FLAWLESS. The Immortal Spirit I got from BSW was nearly twice the price of the Strada and it has been in and out of the shop. BSW refuses to do anything so I am filing a complaint with the BBB.

In regards to the wheels....yes they are cheap and heavy. It is better to simply replace them. The game plan was to ride them during the winter while I saved up for a new set of wheels. I expected to get at least 2000 miles from them, not 350. Corona hurt my business, so I needed a little time to save up.
I don't actually disagree with you, but even on cheap hubs, you should have been able to get way more than 2000 miles on them. A loose spoke here and there on a cheap bike, that is to be expected quite quickly, but not the hub breaking - even at 2000 miles.
Likes For CargoDane:
Old 11-04-20, 02:04 PM
RadDog
Banned.

Originally Posted by pdlamb
This will raise the price a bit, but after you buy an inexpensive new wheel, have a good wheel mechanic make sure they're tensioned and stress-relieved correctly.

I'm not sure how you could get BD's attention. File a small claims suit, maybe? I can't imagine anything you could do to kill a hub in that short a distance, other than get run over by a train or something.
I rode in the rain once. It bears repeating, I got this bike from Bikeshopwarehouse, not BikesDirect. BD probably woyuld have stood behind the hubs. Actually, had I gotten it from BD the hubs probably would have been fine. As mentioned, I think bikes that are returned to BD get sold/sent to BSW.

Here is what I am going with for replacement: https://bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/Ro...Carbon-50.html

These are a pretty standard aluminum rim with 32 spokes for my fat 220 behind. This time I am serious about hubs, they are Dura Ace. Rims are an acceptable 1620 grams and non aero. My primary concern is durability.
Old 11-04-20, 02:10 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Here is what I am going with for replacement: https://bicyclewheelwarehouse.com/Ro...Carbon-50.html
I wouldn't think it would be prudent to buy replacement wheels from the same shop who basically sold you a lemon (constantly in and out to be repaired as you say) that now refuses to fix your hub which broke after a mere 350 miles. Especially not at those prices. Cheapest one is $800? For a $1000 bike?
Old 11-04-20, 02:22 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
It's typical for adjustable hubs to be over-tightened because it's easier than adjusting them properly. Most bike shops would have checked that and adjusted them. I suggest checking every adjustment if you know how.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 11-04-20, 02:41 PM
RadDog
Banned.

Originally Posted by CargoDane
I wouldn't think it would be prudent to buy replacement wheels from the same shop who basically sold you a lemon (constantly in and out to be repaired as you say) that now refuses to fix your hub which broke after a mere 350 miles. Especially not at those prices. Cheapest one is $800? For a $1000 bike?
Bike wheel ware house has no affiliation to bikeshop warehouse. The wheels I purchased were $480....half of that money went towards the dura ace hubs. Bike has a carbon frame that fits me well, otherwise I would have sold the nightmare.
Old 11-04-20, 02:56 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bike wheel ware house has no affiliation to bikeshop warehouse. The wheels I purchased were $480....half of that money went towards the dura ace hubs. Bike has a carbon frame that fits me well, otherwise I would have sold the nightmare.
Oh, I read the link as the same. Phew!
Old 11-04-20, 03:13 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
Regardless of whether BSW repairs or replaces the wheel, it seems like it is junk -- and a replacement will be junk, too. Wheels are not the place to economize. Work with your shop to get a decent wheelset, grit your teeth and pay for 'em -- and if BSW sends a new wheel, you'll have a spare wheelset.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-04-20, 03:54 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Did you check the hubs after receiving the bike to see if they were adjusted properly ? I go through and check evrything on a new bike purchase. Invariably there is stuff out of adjustment sometimes substantially. Typically the wheel hubs are loose. My guess is the hubs were badly out of adjustment and led to the premature failure.
Likes For frogman:
Old 11-04-20, 04:47 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
We've seen a few of these threads lately -- about bikes bought over the 'net that came with problems, and sellers who are not interested in CS.

Gosh, you'd almost wonder whether buying from an LBS may actually be cheaper in the long-run.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 11-04-20, 04:59 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by Koyote
We've seen a few of these threads lately -- about bikes bought over the 'net that came with problems, and sellers who are not interested in CS.

Gosh, you'd almost wonder whether buying from an LBS may actually be cheaper in the long-run.
Or assemble ("build") the bike yourself.
Old 11-04-20, 06:06 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I think you should quit whining and learn how to lace up your own hub. That way you will experience the zen of fixing your own stuff and forever leave behind the anxiety of worrying about worthless warranties

Don't understand people's obsession with warranties. I think it is more of a control issue, feeling like you are somehow being violated rather than just having a bad part on an inexpensive bike.

Like someone else said even if they replace it under warranty, they are going to replace it with the same piece of crap that was on there originally. Broken stuff is an opportunity to upgrade.

So you have a couple of options. Listen to the sandbox lawyers and spend months pursuing small claims court, file a complaint with the BBB (which will do absolutely nothing for you) or get on with it and get a decent wheel, preferably one you build yourself.

Life is too short.
Old 11-04-20, 06:15 PM
RadDog
Banned.

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
I think you should quit whining and learn how to lace up your own hub. That way you will experience the zen of fixing your own stuff and forever leave behind the anxiety of worrying about worthless warranties

Don't understand people's obsession with warranties. I think it is more of a control issue, feeling like you are somehow being violated rather than just having a bad part on an inexpensive bike.

Like someone else said even if they replace it under warranty, they are going to replace it with the same piece of crap that was on there originally. Broken stuff is an opportunity to upgrade.

So you have a couple of options. Listen to the sandbox lawyers and spend months pursuing small claims court, file a complaint with the BBB (which will do absolutely nothing for you) or get on with it and get a decent wheel, preferably one you build yourself.

Life is too short.
Reading comprehension is not your strong suit. All I expected was a season of use out of the stock hub and wheels. You also missed the fact that I already upgraded the wheels. I even posted a link to the wheels and the fact that I was getting Dura Ace hubs. Please read my posts before responding, thank you.
Likes For RadDog:
Old 11-04-20, 06:16 PM
RadDog
Banned.

Originally Posted by Koyote

I actually tried buying from my LBS first.
Old 11-04-20, 06:27 PM
RadDog
Banned.

Originally Posted by frogman
Did you check the hubs after receiving the bike to see if they were adjusted properly ? I go through and check evrything on a new bike purchase. Invariably there is stuff out of adjustment sometimes substantially. Typically the wheel hubs are loose. My guess is the hubs were badly out of adjustment and led to the premature failure.
I did. I took the bike to my LBS, and then the second time I had it fixed by Bikanics. They do all my work now, I have a good relationship with them.

A man has to know his limitations. I am a very good all around cyclist, but I am totally lacking in mechanical talent. I do my own basic maintenance but have my bike professionally tuned every 6 months or so. I can of course replace tubes and tires, clean and lubricate chains etc....but I don't have the cassette tool (I will be getting one...cassette is the sort of thing I can do). I have tried truing rims and I can get a small bend out but beyond that I suck. I have more than $2k in this bike now, and I don't mind paying my guy to come out to the house and do some work, his prices are fair.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.