Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Proposition 65 Warnings

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Proposition 65 Warnings

Old 11-06-20, 01:05 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
The fact that it's called "Prop 65" means that it was a ballot initiative and it didn't become law through the normal legislative process. I'm a little surprised that nobody in California has introduced a proposition to cancel it.
Seriously, you're surprised? Have you been following California over the past decade or so? You're surprised? I'm surprised they haven't banned everything, then complained they have no food, water, and want the Federal government to come in, plant gardens for everyone, harvest it, clean it with bottled water, bottled in recycled squid livers, then come to their house and feed them wearing gloves made of organic pig intestines.

You're surprised?

Last edited by phughes; 11-06-20 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-06-20, 01:08 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
So, in other words, it is a measure voted on by a bunch of idiots in the voting population, rather than a measure dreamed up by an idiot representative of a bunch of idiots in the voting population.
As opposed to the idiots in the legislature.
Old 11-06-20, 01:25 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,545 Times in 3,757 Posts
Let's cool it with the political comments.

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 11-06-20, 01:35 PM
TomM

Bikes: Surly SteamRoller

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
Last year my employer remodeled our office and the new snack machines had these warnings on them. Living in Fla I was initially confused why Ca warnings would be on machines in Fla. I did have fun pointing out the labels to others.
Old 11-06-20, 03:17 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
Bu t they continue to make a glaring omission. Sunlight is not just suspected, but actually, known to cause cancer, and yet it has no warnings.
And California has yet figured out a way to stick a label up there but be sure they’ll spend millions working on it.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 11-06-20, 03:20 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Seriously, you're surprised? Have you been following California over the past decade or so? You're surprised? I'm surprised they haven't banned everything, then complained they have no food, water, and want the Federal government to come in, plant gardens for everyone, harvest it, clean it with bottled water, bottled in recycled squid livers, then come to their house and feed them wearing gloves made of organic pig intestines.

You're surprised?
Ive been a lifelong resident and your observations only scratch the surface. It is an interesting place to be.
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 11-06-20, 05:52 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Just recently, a test lead cord set that my company sells was required to start putting Prop 65 stickers on them - because they contain BRASS. Yeah, the female end of the wire set has brass connections, covered by heat shrink tubing. But because someone might somehow decide to chew-on our test lead wire set and swallow the brass, we are required to put Prop 65 stickers on them.

BTW, we are NOT in Ca-ca-fornia, and we did NOT get the opportunity vote for the Prop 65 measure, yet we are FORCED to comply with Ca-Ca-Fornia's laws...

I HATE Commie-fornia!!!!

Last edited by Cougrrcj; 11-06-20 at 06:12 PM.
Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 11-06-20, 06:04 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
Just recently, a test lead cord set that my company sells was required to start putting Prop 65 stickers on them - because they contain BRASS. Yeah, the female end of the wire set has brass ferrules, covered by heat shrink tubing. But because someone might somehow decide to chew-on our test lead wire set and swallow the brass, we are required to put Prop 65 stickers on them.

BTW, we are NOT in Ca-ca-fornia, and we did NOT get the opportunity vote for the Prop 65 measure, yet we are FORCED to comply with Ca-Ca-Fornia's laws...

I HATE Commie-fornia!!!!
Stupid because of the rules (they are overreaching) but I believe that even if you are not in California, if you sell it to someone there, that is what matters, as far as I can tell. I may be wrong, though. I think it's the same as when motorcycle engines are "49 state legal" or "50 state legal". The former is not allowed to be shipped to California to be used there.

LIke here:

50 state legal:
https://www.sscycle.com/engines/#reg...ity=California

49 state legal:
https://www.sscycle.com/engines/#
Old 11-06-20, 06:11 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Cars, too... Or car parts. Good luck to the Classic Musclecar enthusiast in CaCa...
Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 11-06-20, 06:32 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I predict this thread will run longer than most chain lube threads.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 11-06-20, 06:46 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
There (inexplicably) was a post with a screen shot from the banned user thread here. We have always had that thread to explain why someone was banned. I don't sere why it was posted here and so I deleted it. We're just here to keep the ankle-biting and spam to a minimum, and I think we do an okay job for a batch of volunteers. And yes, we don't allow people to talk about moderation except via private message.

I know some people read the banned user thread for entertainment. It's a pretty active thread, people who need to know already know about it.

Last edited by unterhausen; 11-06-20 at 06:53 PM.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 11-06-20, 06:54 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Ah, thanks for explaining it!
Old 11-06-20, 06:59 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
I'm sure someone does, but the warnings are ridiculous. The State of California uses unrealistic standards and ignores the simple fact that dosage makes the poison. Caffeine and alcohol may cause cancer. Everything MAY cause cancer.

Buy the gear you need. If you're buying from a reputable store and a reputable brand, it's safe.
People are leaving California in droves. Maybe they fear Prop. 65, or the mentality that led to Prop. 65.
Likes For eja_ bottecchia:
Old 11-07-20, 09:16 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
People are leaving California in droves. Maybe they fear Prop. 65, or the mentality that led to Prop. 65.
Since we all have to live with Prop 65 labels in the rest of the USA now, Californians now feel safe enough to move out of their state.

I know I can sleep well at night here in Tejas thanks to all the Prop 65 labels here. Before that? I was a tossin' and a turnin' with worry.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 11-07-20, 10:32 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 2,162 Times in 1,321 Posts
Prop 65 has been around for decades. It was a clean water initiative to remove toxins that were found in water. It has definitely mushroomed over the years as lawsuits were brought against products, such as lead in faucets, etc. I’m sure a lot of the early plastic utensils and drinking cups were probably harmful if someone used them exclusively for decades.

Unfortunately it has become more of a way to avoid liability and any real suspect items are lost in the shuffle. People like to joke about cancer, but I’m not sure how many cancer survivors, or those who have lost someone to cancer are joking. I don’t agree with the mass labeling, but it is not a hill I’m going to die on.

And yes, I’ve owned muscle cars in California.

John
Old 11-07-20, 11:04 AM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
People like to joke about cancer, but I’m not sure how many cancer survivors, orthose who have lost someone to cancer are joking.
Personally, 3 people I've known lost the battle with cancer. Two with great health care coverage and suffered with cancer and the treatments for 3 to 4 years before succumbing to it. The other person had no health care coverage and didn't know they had cancer until they were physically ill enough to go to an ER and find they had a month to live.

Cancer survivors I've known personally? Two.

I've been knowingly on the precipice of death at least 3 times. Not due to cancer, but other things. I'm going to joke about certain aspects of death. Life is already too serious otherwise.
Likes For FiftySix:
Old 11-07-20, 11:17 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 2,045 Posts
Meh, it's like the multiple pages (or chapters) of cautions in an instruction manual. No one cares or reads them.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 11-07-20, 11:19 AM
willibrord

Bikes: carbon bamboo composite is the best

Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 36 Posts
If you followed all the Prop 65 warnings, how much would your odds of contracting cancer decrease?
It seems like the initiative has been a failure we are surrounded by millions of chemicals, more every year, impossible to avoid and American life expectancy is decreasing.
Old 11-07-20, 12:54 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 433 Posts
Didn't read all preceding replies, so excuse me if this has already been mentioned. Most cycling products are polyester, which is a synthetic petroleum based fibre, so there ya go (though I'm not sure the levels needed are present in polyester clothing--but to earn the Prop 65 warning-would it take much?). Anyone have wool garments (with no polyester)-doubt they have the warning?
Old 11-07-20, 06:09 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
"So, in other words, it is a measure voted on by a bunch of idiots in the voting population, rather than a measure dreamed up by an idiot representative of a bunch of idiots in the voting population."

Priceless, on point, and truthful! Got a great chuckle from this pearl of wisdom.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 11-08-20, 01:48 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
And when they test substances on laboratory rats, they tend to give them a proportionate dosage that's WAY above what the average person is likely to encounter.
And yet "safe amounts" of toxic substances are based on 160 lb. man, not a 40 lb. child. It's a weird, wild world.
Old 11-08-20, 06:42 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
I want to find out more about this "banned user" thread.

Does it also have a Prop 65 label?

(There used to be a good "classics" sticky about "massive quads" and "dressing like Lance" "the Look .....")
Old 11-08-20, 07:10 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Carbon black is one of the most common substances to trigger the labeling requirement. Nearly all black plastic and rubber parts have carbon black, because it is a key ingredient in providing UV resistance. Carbon Black is carcinogenic in unbound particles of respirable size. While it is nearly impossible to get unbound particles of respirable size in normal use, it is easier for companies to label a product than to file for an exemption to the rule.
Old 11-08-20, 10:44 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,684 Times in 2,508 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I want to find out more about this "banned user" thread.

Does it also have a Prop 65 label?

(There used to be a good "classics" sticky about "massive quads" and "dressing like Lance" "the Look .....")
I'm sure that classics thread is still around, we un-stick threads a lot nowadays because they waste a lot of space and nobody reads them.

The banned user thread is in this forum. https://www.bikeforums.net/news-announcements/ You may break the infinite scroll feature of the forum though, so it might be wise to turn it off. on edit: I just looked at the last page and infinite scroll didn't act up. Last page goes back to June.

Last edited by unterhausen; 11-08-20 at 10:48 AM.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 11-08-20, 07:25 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 248 Posts
My new Speedplay cleats came with a Prop 65 warning. So much for licking, eating, or smoking my cleats after a good ride!

Thanks for watching out for me, CA!

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.