Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

full coverage fenders easy to take on and off

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-20, 04:15 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts

Are there fenders that are easier to take on and off? I mean after the initial set up. I'm attracted to traditional metal fenders (like VO, Gilles Berthoud) and I know they can be tricky to set up, which I think I can handle, but after setup can they just be unbolted/rebolted?
Old 11-07-20, 04:53 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Are there fenders that are easier to take on and off? I mean after the initial set up. I'm attracted to traditional metal fenders (like VO, Gilles Berthoud) and I know they can be tricky to set up, which I think I can handle, but after setup can they just be unbolted/rebolted?
Why do you want to take them on and off after setup?
Old 11-07-20, 05:15 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Why do you want to take them on and off after setup?
They wouldn't be needed very often because it doesn't rain much here. I'm looking at 700x60mm+ full coverage fenders, so that's not an insignificant weight to carry around when they're not needed, and they're only needed a few days out of the year.

Maybe it's not feasible to change add/remove them easily, maybe I should go for less coverage - that's what I'm trying to figure out.
Old 11-07-20, 05:17 PM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Yes they can. Don’t bother with less than full coverage, you’ll still feel like you maybe should’ve worn swim trunks on the ride if you do.

The only potential issue arises with the seatstay mounting bracket if the frame has canti/V/drum brakes and you're trying to be classy and put the bracket on the front side of the bridge. In that silly instance you have to wrestle with it a bit to get it out and back in again.

Grease your threads and you’re good to mount/dismount as many times as you please.

———

It is nice to have both your fair weather bike and a fender’d and racked bike ready to go.

Last edited by hsuBM; 11-07-20 at 05:24 PM.
Likes For hsuBM:
Old 11-07-20, 06:41 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I will agree with hsuBM regarding the full coverage. I think whether or not you can easily mount and remove the fenders depends on both your bike and the fenders. I have a Soma Smoothie from which I can easily mount and remove a set of SKS fenders, cannot remember which model. The other 2 bikes I have had fenders on, a Schwinn SS DBX and a Lemond Poprad, took some modification, and or, some tinkering to get them to a workable fit. They are a bit easier to deal with after the initial install, but still a bit of a pain. The Poprad I will probably just leave the fenders on all the time, the Schwinn will probably never get fenders again.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 11-07-20, 06:52 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
SKS has removable fenders. Not sure which ones fit wider tires. I think I have the Pros for 23mm tires. Good coverage. The front goes from the fork crown back down pretty far. Rear from brakes.
Likes For biker128pedal:
Old 11-07-20, 07:04 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,059 Times in 1,078 Posts
I've never seen any kind of full coverage fender quick-disconnects. That would be nice for airline travel and bike shipping.

There are a couple tips that can make it easier to remove/replace normal full coverage fenders. First is isolating front brakes/headlight mounting from the fender mount. Get some Sheldon Brown problem solver nuts. Next, mark the fender stays, showing where they are clamped once set up. Same with adjustable brackets. Other than that, practice makes perfect. It's a little fiddly, but not too bad. One other tip, just go ahead and take the wheels off despite what you think you can do with the wheels on.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 11-07-20, 08:34 PM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
I have SKS plastic fenders on multiple bikes. they are super easy to remove. Front requires 3 bolts, rear has 4. Leave the stays on the fender and unscrew the allen bolt at the dropouts. They roll right out without removing the wheels.

The plastic fenders are also pretty light.
Likes For Pop N Wood:
Old 11-07-20, 09:02 PM
SalsaShark

Bikes: 2014 Trek Allant drop bar conversion, modified Schwinn MTN commuter, 2015 Trek 520, Soma ES, Salsa Journeyman, 1980 Trek 414

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 166 Posts
Once everything is fit and installed, i would imagine i could take the Velo Orange style fenders off a bike in less than 5 minutes, and have it ready to ride again without fenders. I would think about 10 minutes to reinstall and have ready to ride again. Just store them with the stays installed on the fenders and leave the mounting hardware on the bike to speed up reinstallation (and make sure things do not get lost).
Likes For SalsaShark:
Old 11-07-20, 11:29 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
If it's easy for them to come off, they will--against your wishes. BTDT.
Old 11-08-20, 09:23 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
+1 this. Effective full-coverage mudguards require multiple anchor points for stability and safety (and noise reduction). Multiple anchor points make installation and removal more difficult.

If you live in an area where full coverage mudguards are important, either leave them on the bike all the time or get a second bike so you can have one with mudguards to ride in wet conditions and one without to ride in dry conditions.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 11-08-20, 10:10 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6950 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
Originally Posted by rollagain
Potentially. The bigger issue is that, if the fenders are easily removed, they are more likely the type that rattle around and also don't give full coverage.

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
+1 this. Effective full-coverage mudguards require multiple anchor points for stability and safety (and noise reduction). Multiple anchor points make installation and removal more difficult.

If you live in an area where full coverage mudguards are important, either leave them on the bike all the time or get a second bike so you can have one with mudguards to ride in wet conditions and one without to ride in dry conditions.
This is good advice. My commuter bike must be ridden in the rain quite often, so it's had fenders from day one. I also have a training bike dedicated to rainy weather - it's fitted with Rene Herse (i.e., Honjo) fenders, and a Brooks leather mudflap on the front fender. They are quiet, stable, secure - and when I get home from a rainy ride, I just spend a couple minutes wiping the clean rainwater from the bike and head in for a hot bath.
Likes For Koyote: