Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin create custom course problem

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-20, 05:19 PM
SwampGrinder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

When trying to create a custom course using Garmin Connect phone app, there is a small section of road that the app does not recognize (despite being visible on the map) - so no matter where or how I add a next point, the app will not draw the route over this section of road. Instead of advancing the route in the proper direction, it back-tracks and comes at the point from the opposite end - not at all how I want this route to be created. This happens regardless of which map I use. Also, in all the custom routes I have created in this area, this is the only section of road that I have this problem for. Of course, this is a critical section of road for creating several desirable ride loops. Consequently, I am extremely frustrated. Does anybody have any ideas of a fix or work-around for this? Or is it possible to save a ride as a custom route? Any help would be much appreciated!!
Old 11-09-20, 07:38 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Sometimes I can get my Garmin to accept it if I put several routing points very close to each other. On the map on my computer (using Garmin Mapsource that is no longer supported by Garmin) sometimes I could zoom in and plot several routing points through that area and get it to work.

But sometimes that does not work either. I live next to a bike path, the Garmin thinks that the path ends. Then there is a parking lot nearby that the Garmin will not connect a route too. But in real life when you are there on the ground, you see that you can ride from the bike path, through the parking lot, and then out the drive way on a continuous strip of asphalt. The only way I can get my Garmin software to make a route there is to change to a different basemap that shows the bikepath connecting to the road. I have several different basemaps on my Mapsource and a couple in my GPS units.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 11-09-20, 11:11 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
I've had similar problem when building a course in the web app of Garmin Connect. I was getting "blocked" on certain parts of a segment and software would use a really kookie solution to get to the next waypoint I was plotting. My particular problem was the drawing mode -- the mapping software had a "blind spot" and wouldn't plot through a certain point. I changed the mode to "freehand" for that segment and was able to define that segment. Usually I use "follow roads" but that doesn't always work.
Old 11-09-20, 04:34 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 2,079 Times in 1,177 Posts
The mobile app does not give you the option to draw a course using Freehand, or Draw Lines, which is a straight line on RideWithGPS.

I have run into this issue and often find as others have, that by zooming in, I can be more accurate as to the course placement and fudge my way past whatever the map program thinks doesn't exist, as far as the road/path. Doesn't always work though.

I also never use the mobile app to create a route, either using RWGPS and/or going to the website for RWGPS or Connect on the mobile device, to create a route/course.
Old 11-09-20, 06:11 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 937 Posts
In Ridewithgps, you can switch maps or draw segments "free hand" to get around map problems. I'm not sure if Garmin Connect lets you do something different.

The Garmin "turn guidance" might have problems handling those "fudged" sections but the track will still be correct.

Last edited by njkayaker; 11-09-20 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-09-20, 06:36 PM
SwampGrinder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the replies! I did not know creating courses in the web app was an option. I just tried that and it worked. Thank you, thank you, thank you. You just saved me from possibly going crazy over this!