Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Litelok wearable vs ABUS Bordo - cafe locks

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-20, 07:48 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts

I'm looking to add a cafe lock to my library of locks. I'd like a lock I can carry in a jersey pocket or other on-body options. It needs to be light weight and not easily defeated by compact hand tools. The lock is meant to be used as a primary lock when making a quick stop for a coffee or beer and staying within sight of the bike (also secondary lock for longer-term securing).

Here are the two in thinking about:

https://us.litelok.com/products/litelok-gold-wearable-2

https://www.rei.com/product/163265/abus-bordo-lite-6055-folding-lock

Have you biked with the Bordo in a jersey pocket, or with the Litelok Wearable with a road kit?

FYI - I've watch many videos, done lots of research, and know that these locks can be defeated, all locks can be defeated. The purpose of this lock is to avoid being defeated by a small handtool that can be carried on a pocket - to defeat the two options listed requires a larger tool that can not be easily concealed.
Old 11-15-20, 08:05 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked 1,438 Times in 988 Posts
Neither. I just use a 1/4" x 6 ft cable with a small padlock on it, that's all I need for the occasional stop. If all you'll be using it for is locking up during quick stops you just need enough to "keep-the-honest-people-honest". I keep it in a bag on a seatpost rack. The bag gets used for extra clothes I remove as the day warms up, simple repair tools, a little cash, and other items, and the bag can be easily removed and taken with me.

Litelok = $149. There's lots of options out there for way less than that. And it doesn't look long enough to lock up both wheels.
Old 11-15-20, 08:32 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by skidder
Neither. I just use a 1/4" x 6 ft cable with a small padlock on it, that's all I need for the occasional stop. If all you'll be using it for is locking up during quick stops you just need enough to "keep-the-honest-people-honest". I keep it in a bag on a seatpost rack. The bag gets used for extra clothes I remove as the day warms up, simple repair tools, a little cash, and other items, and the bag can be easily removed and taken with me.

Litelok = $149. There's lots of options out there for way less than that. And it doesn't look long enough to lock up both wheels.
​​​​​​Sorry, but I know a cable can be cut in seconds with a tool small enough carry in a pocket. I've seen how easy it is for a thief to look like they are unlocking a bike next the target bike and cut a simple cable lock.

Cables are good secondary locks for saddles

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 11-15-20 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-15-20, 09:10 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I favor low tech: A piece of steel chain wrapped in an old innertube (to protect what's left of my paint) and a combination padlock. Nothing will defeat a professional thief, but at least it will deter a pair of wire cutters. You can get chain by the foot at the hardware store, choose according to security / weight tradeoff.

My first layer of protection is anti-theft aesthetics (tm).

One of my kids is a student at the nearby university, and told me that there's been a lot of bike theft laterly. She said that she sees cut cable locks on the ground around the bike racks.
Old 11-15-20, 11:57 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Universities all seem to be bike steal magnets.
Old 11-15-20, 05:02 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
Universities all seem to be bike steal magnets.
Like the famous bank robber Willie Sutton said when they asked him why he robbed banks: "Because that's where the money is."
Old 11-15-20, 08:42 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
ABUS is going to be of slightly better quality and easier to carry. However the locks you describe would not fit the description. These are what I think of when I think café lock these days. Those would also be easier to carry since they are mounted to the bike and with the ABUS LH straps you don't need mounts drilled into the frame.

Hardware store chain is not very secure at all. Not usually tempered and hardened for theft resistance get a proper ABUS chain for that with ideally some form of integrated lock or something stronger than a combination padlock that could probably be defeated in seconds.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-15-20, 09:29 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
I use two locks. An Axa 600 foldable lock for touring, and a Kryptonite Evolution Series 4 (not the "Keeper") for at home where it tend to be left locked for longer unsupervised.
Regardless, I always lock it to something.
Old 11-15-20, 09:33 PM
RandomDesign

Bikes: 2021 BMC Teammachine SLR Three

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
​​​​​​Sorry, but I know a cable can be cut in seconds with a tool small enough carry in a pocket. I've seen how easy it is for a thief to look like they are unlocking a bike next the target bike and cut a simple cable lock.

Cables are good secondary locks for saddles
That litelock can be cut in seconds too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On0DGcDlc
Old 11-16-20, 05:16 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by RandomDesign
That litelock can be cut in seconds too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On0DGcDlc
I watched the video. He seems to avoid the fact that he had the benefit of placing one arm of the cutters on the ground and pushed down with his whole body weight on the other arm of the cutters. The real word thief y not have that ability requiring him to only use his arms squeezing them together sideways which would be more difficult to do.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 11-16-20, 06:27 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by RandomDesign
But you can't conceal that tool in a pocket.

​​​​And yes, I've seen this video ... Like I said, I've done research.

FYI - I've watch many videos, done lots of research, and know that these locks can be defeated, all locks can be defeated. The purpose of this lock is to avoid being defeated by a small handtool that can be carried on a pocket - to defeat the two options listed requires a larger tool that can not be easily concealed.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 11-16-20 at 07:51 AM.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 11-16-20, 10:20 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
"add to my library of locks" -
note to self = do not move to Hopkins, MN
Old 11-16-20, 10:31 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I have Hiplok Lite. Wear around your waist with a velcro strap. Can be removed instantly for use as a weapon.
https://www.rei.com/product/846520/h...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Likes For trailangel:
Old 11-16-20, 10:38 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by Wildwood
"add to my library of locks" -
note to self = do not move to Hopkins, MN
LOL'd!

Hopkins is not bad, Minneapolis is 5 miles away and has a lot of bike theft. But if you leave a bike unlock in the open, it might be stolen here in Hopkins.

I've been carrying bike locks for a few decades, and buy new ones when new/better designs come out, and keep the old one for backup or secondary locks. Since I never lose locks, I've just got a lot of older locks to use as backup or secondary locks.
Old 11-16-20, 10:51 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2601 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
This is all I've ever needed. I haven't lost a bike that was locked up with either this or one of the $20 Walmart combination locks. But the places I've left a bike locked up are typically those Hypo cites -- quick stop for a drink, bike kept in sight. Makes me glad to live in this poverty stricken, crime infested part of the country...
Old 11-16-20, 12:06 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
LOL'd!

Hopkins is not bad, Minneapolis is 5 miles away and has a lot of bike theft. But if you leave a bike unlock in the open, it might be stolen here in Hopkins.

I've been carrying bike locks for a few decades, and buy new ones when new/better designs come out, and keep the old one for backup or secondary locks. Since I never lose locks, I've just got a lot of older locks to use as backup or secondary locks.
Since there isn't much market for vintage bicycle locks today, you should become a niche collector. Might pay off???
ex: Lots of 1900s phonographs exist but the old thick records didn't survive as well = market.
If vintage bike owners of the future want vintage locks from the present = you are financial Genius.
Or : VintageBikeLock.org/Life'sLibrary

cuda888 (i think, or someone) is starting the Museum of Urban Bike Share & Scooter Rental Vehicles. or something toward that title.

Hug Yourself and Indulge the Impulse.
Old 11-16-20, 12:39 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Since there isn't much market for vintage bicycle locks today, you should become a niche collector. Might pay off???
ex: Lots of 1900s phonographs exist but the old thick records didn't survive as well = market.
If vintage bike owners of the future want vintage locks from the present = you are financial Genius.
Or : VintageBikeLock.org/Life'sLibrary

cuda888 (i think, or someone) is starting the Museum of Urban Bike Share & Scooter Rental Vehicles. or something toward that title.

Hug Yourself and Indulge the Impulse.
HA! That's an idea!

BTW - I have a couple old thick records, but don't have a record player that has the right speed.
Old 11-16-20, 05:24 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,524 Times in 550 Posts
As you have figured out already, any lock can be defeated. Everyone has to make their own calculation as to where they leave a bike and for how long and how big an anchor they are willing to carry to keep that from happening.
For me, I carry a hiplock Z-lock, which I'm sure could be cut with tin snips in a second but I rarely leave my bike out of site for more than a minute or two so I accept the risk. Just not willing to carry a 3-4 pound lock on sub 20 pound road bike.
Old 11-16-20, 06:39 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
GUN CABLE LOCK: for in and out stops this little lock is great ... it is enough to make a thief look for an easier mark ... mine is 15" and it works on racks and small poles ... takes more than pliers to cut
Old 11-16-20, 06:54 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by jack pot
GUN CABLE LOCK: for in and out stops this little lock is great ... it is enough to make a thief look for an easier mark ... mine is 15" and it works on racks and small poles ... takes more than pliers to cut
I could clip that with a piece of nail clippers. Or probably pull it apart by jerking the bike. At that point, why even bother. Hell, a piece of thin Dyneema tied on the bike will probably be more difficult for a would-be thief.
Old 11-16-20, 07:03 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tOjrAsg49M
Old 11-16-20, 07:07 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Originally Posted by CargoDane
I could clip that with a piece of nail clippers. Or probably pull it apart by jerking the bike. At that point, why even bother. Hell, a piece of thin Dyneema tied on the bike will probably be more difficult for a would-be thief.
.... i disagree because i have tried to cut it ... this is protection against grab and go ... BUT if you want MORE a 20" inch long braided wire rope sling with a small padlock will give you protection against any small hand tools > total cost -$25.00 .................. most thieve aint carrying small cable cutters because they won't cut BIG bike cables so my little lock can get by being unexpected to all but the dedicated thief

Last edited by jack pot; 11-16-20 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-16-20, 07:16 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

.... i disagree because i have tried to cut it ... this is protection against grab and go ... BUT if you want MORE a 20" inch long braided wire rope sling with a small padlock will give you protection against any small hand tools > total cost -$25.00
Smash the lock. Probably the easiest.

I use a Kryptonite Evolution Series 4 chain with integrated (key) lock (because that's the max weight I'm willing to carry - it's very heavy, thick, and strong).

A "20" inch long braided wire rope sling with a small padlock " is just not good enough.

If that's the alternative, I'll take your 15" gun cable lock.

A wire with a padlock you can literally open with a nail clipper: Cut open the plastic, and then proceed one or two strands at a time. At most, that would be a 10 minute job - with nailclippers. A 2 second job with pocketable pliers.

That's not even good enough for a cheap rustbucket you use for pub crawls.

Last edited by CargoDane; 11-16-20 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-16-20, 07:22 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

.... i disagree because i have tried to cut it ... this is protection against grab and go ... BUT if you want MORE a 20" inch long braided wire rope sling with a small padlock will give you protection against any small hand tools > total cost -$25.00 .................. most thieve aint carrying small cable cutters because they won't cut BIG bike cables so my little lock can get by being unexpected to all but the dedicated thief
You don't need small cable cutters. You just need a pocketable pair of cutting pliers to cut that $25 wire and padlock. Or a small, pocketable hacksaw. Or even some rescue sheers made from stainless steel.
Old 11-16-20, 07:22 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Originally Posted by CargoDane
Smash the lock. Probably the easiest.

I use a Kryptonite Evolution Series 4 chain with integrated (key) lock (because that's the max weight I'm willing to carry - it's very heavy, thick, and strong).

A small braided wire rope with a small padlock is just not good enough. Then your 15" gun lock is better. A wire with a padlock you can literally open with a nail clipper: Cut open the åplastic, and then proceed one or two strands at a time. At most, that would be a 10 minute job - with nailclippers. A 2 second job with pocketable pliers.
That's not even good for a cheap rustbucket you use for pub crawls.
> OK OK OK it works for me & not for you BTW when Im in the city i use a heavy chain and an ABUS pad lock

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.