Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

City Issued Bicycle License

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

City Issued Bicycle License

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-20, 07:20 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
I'd be willing for there to be say, a national required Federal bike registration, but stickerless. Eg. $10, and every serial number of every new bike has to be entered with it's owner's info. bikeindex.org seems to be stab at doing similar, though privatized. They even have a few city governments signed up I think.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 11-16-20, 09:46 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
As a fact, I know that was not the question. Isn’t there a forum for opinions?
Thanks for your opinion.
Old 11-16-20, 11:24 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,603 Times in 2,907 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Thanks for your opinion.
Not my opinion in the least. I started this thread and definitely did not ask in any way, shape or form for people to make any comments about their approval or disapproval of bike licenses. Please go back and reread. This was supposed to be a fun and informative thread and then you have to turn it into some type of personal commentary about government. Give it a rest or start your own thread about being pissed off about life. Can’t people just talk about bikes without negativity about politics and government creeping in?

Old 11-16-20, 11:48 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Backi n the early 1950s, it was really cool to have a real license plate on your two wheeler!
Old 11-16-20, 12:00 PM
GiovanniLiCalsi
Cobalto

Bikes: Colnago, Marinoni, Columbine, Schwinn Paramount, Raleigh International, Raleigh Professional, 1893 Crescent Juno, 1896 Crescent No.1, 1899 Crescent No.18, 1896 Columbia 40, 1902 Pierce Special, 1903 Pierce Special, 1905 Pierce Special Racer,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
License

Here is a very old bicycle messenger service tag and some license tags...

Last edited by GiovanniLiCalsi; 11-16-20 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Error
Likes For GiovanniLiCalsi:
Old 11-17-20, 04:46 PM
qwkteg125

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
In San Francisco you can register your bike through sfsafe dot org and get a sticker with a serial number on it to give you a .00001% better shot at recovery in the event your bike is stolen. It is optional and does not cost anything.
Old 11-17-20, 05:21 PM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
rsbob I'm receptive to your expressions of impatience, but I'm afraid I also understand the antipathy towards licenses: my limited experience with them (Boston suburbs, 1970's) was very negative. Not only were the desired benefits not obtained, but you had to pay $25 (a LOT in the 70's) to have a bike, or else face the wrath of local bored cops.

I'm not kidding about the last part - my Dad was 'pulled over' by a cop on a training ride, driven home and his bike taken down and held at the police station so he could come down and "pay for a license" and get it back. (citation: Concord, MA, 1977, on Lowell Rd.) It seemed to me then - and now - like a real cash grab.

My dad didn't mess around after that, and all bikes in the family were appropriately "licensed." However, two of mine were stolen and both recovered by cops, who never bothered to look up the unremoved license serial # and contact us. Both times my dad went down and asked to see the upcoming auction bikes, and each time got my bike back.

Anyhow.
Likes For Danhedonia:
Old 11-17-20, 05:35 PM
bruce19

Postings are like children. You might give them life but you can't control their lives. If you can, it's like talking to yourself.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 11-17-20, 07:10 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
This ^ is a tax. What police state do you live in?
It's Hawaii. And yes, it is a vehicle tax. Should note that it applies to bikes with wheels over 20" (I think under that is considered a "toy bicycle"?) They added a new category for e-bikes, which are $30. They made moped registration an annual fee of $27.

scott s.
Old 11-17-20, 07:16 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Helldorado
Yeah, but its not enforced. HPD got more important things to worry about that bikes with no stickers. I wouldn't bother.
You're right. Putting misdemeanor arrests on people for not wearing a mask is their main occupation ATM. (1 yr and $5,000 fine). They arrested the Surgeon General of the US a couple months ago.

scott s.
Old 11-17-20, 09:01 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,603 Times in 2,907 Posts
You are absolutely right. I have zero issue with different rabbit tracks, but get very tired of the grouching and venting about government on a bicycle forum, unless it’s a special forum area created for those folks to have at it. I know there are those which are bitter and disgruntled and love to strike out at any opportunity, but is a bike forum the appropriate place to do it? This homey don’t think so.

Old 11-17-20, 09:20 PM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
When I got my first bike, c1956, a 24" dark red bike with pin striping on the fenders, it had to have a license which was in the form of a tiny plate about 3 x 4 inches, stamped like a real plate, in a color that was the state license color. It was held on with a metal tape and round ball seal the same as deer licenses of the time, just above where the rear brake would have been if anyone I knew would have had a bike with a hand brake. I think it cost $1.50 or so.
Old 11-17-20, 09:29 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
you are supposed to have a tag here, but bike shops can't issue them. It's a really bad system, fortunately no enforcement.
You can change someone's registration without proof of purchase. Basically they have them for no reason whatsoever.
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
BITD, they did actual license plates. Not sure how effective they'd be in identifying stolen bikes as they'd be trivial to remove.
Former PA resident here. I remember the small metal license plates. The dates pictured are in the 50's, but they still had them in my town in the early 1960's, then went to the foil or plastic stickers. The metal plates were very poplar on Stingray bikes. It was a PD issue and I do not know if there was a law or ordinance or if it was a community outreach thing with the PD. I do remember Police bike safety talks during grade school, where all students walked or rode a bike to school, no buses. I also remember kids getting bikes stolen and actually getting them returned by the PD.

In college in Happy Valley, they had them but it was largely ignored (early 1970s), plus who wanted a sticker on their new bike boom "10 speed".

I have no idea if a bike license is an issue in VIrginia. I have never seen one or heard of one while in the LBS.
Old 11-17-20, 09:58 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
You are absolutely right. I have zero issue with different rabbit tracks, but get very tired of the grouching and venting about government on a bicycle forum, unless it’s a special forum area created for those folks to have at it. I know there are those which are bitter and disgruntled and love to strike out at any opportunity, but is a bike forum the appropriate place to do it? This homey don’t think so.
Some people simply like to point out inconsistencies of the idiocracy in a cheerful and engaging manner.

Also, there is something fundamentally concerning about the idea of a bicycle license. It's almost like a Libertarian Party registration card.

When I lived in Cambridge, UK, people were required to get a TV license. I didn't get one. I told them it was un-American.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 11-17-20 at 10:02 PM.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 11-18-20, 06:51 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in VA
... The metal plates were very poplar on Stingray bikes. It was a PD issue and I do not know if there was a law or ordinance or if it was a community outreach thing with the PD. I do remember Police bike safety talks during grade school, where all students walked or rode a bike to school, no buses. I also remember kids getting bikes stolen and actually getting them returned by the PD...
Former NJ resident here. I remember all of these. Police bike safety talks because many of us walked or biked. My bike was stolen and returned by the PD. I think that I began riding my bike to school because of the Police introduction to bike safety.
Old 11-18-20, 04:42 PM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
I remember there being bicycle plates to collect in... cereal I think?
Old 11-18-20, 05:48 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Evanston, IL used to require bikes to be registered. That was done at a big quonset hut where they also inspected your automobiles. There was a headlight tester and some rig for testing car brakes. But back to bikes, you got a metallic decal applied to your bike. Hard to remove,

I was about eleven when my bike got stolen from in front of a Kresges, and it was recovered via the decal.

When I was about 13, they gave me a ticket for riding on the sidewalk in the business district.
Old 11-18-20, 06:47 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
When I was about 13, they gave me a ticket for riding on the sidewalk in the business district.
When my little town started to crackdown on riding on the sidewalks on Main Street, my parents warned me about it like I would go to prison if I got caught. They also told me to never ride my bicycle on Main Street and use the sidewalk.
Old 11-19-20, 05:05 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 505 Posts
Sorry but I do not want the state getting involved in my riding a bike.
They already are. Do you just ride on either side of the street any time you want? If not, Government is involved in your cycling.
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 11-19-20, 05:08 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
Evanston, IL used to require bikes to be registered. That was done at a big quonset hut where they also inspected your automobiles. There was a headlight tester and some rig for testing car brakes. But back to bikes, you got a metallic decal applied to your bike. Hard to remove,

I was about eleven when my bike got stolen from in front of a Kresges, and it was recovered via the decal.

I grew up in the part of chicago directly south of Evanston. I pedaled to, around, and through all of Evanston.

Anyway it looks like you've experienced the full scope of government services.
Old 11-19-20, 08:46 PM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by wgscott
I just claim mine is an automatic weapon, so I don't have to register it or get a license.

But, seriously, the truth is even more odd.

I am "required" to have a license/registration within city limits. I don't live within city limits, so I am only on the wrong side of The Law when I bike into town. Registration is free, but it requires a serial number. I have a custom bike that does not have a serial number, so I cannot register it. Therefore, presumably, I cannot ride it into town.

This also raises an interesting question: If I live in a different town that requires registration and I have the bike registered there, am I allowed to ride it into my local town without re-registering it locally? If I live somewhere that does not require registration (as I do), why should that be any different?

The local town does not charge for this, so it is not a question of revenue (which would at least explain the idiocy).

I am looking forward to bringing it to the Supreme Court, as this clearly demands judicial review.
I'm sure Rudy G would be willing to step in and take the case.
Old 11-20-20, 05:34 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by Road Fan
They already are. Do you just ride on either side of the street any time you want? If not, Government is involved in your cycling.
Can you get a ticket for riding on the wrong side in your state? I've never heard of such a law or it's enforcement in CT.
Old 11-20-20, 08:15 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Can you get a ticket for riding on the wrong side in your state? I've never heard of such a law or it's enforcement in CT.
I very much doubt you cannot get a ticket for doing that as you are a vehicle. I would think that any even moderately modern country (or state) would have such a law as you are a vehicle, albeit not a motorised one.

But, anyway, why would you want to ride on the wrong side ot the road?

Found an article about Connecticut. Turns out they apparently have more ruls specific to cycling than many other states. One is to not ride on the left side of the road:

https://bicycleuniverse.com/bicycle-...n-connecticut/
Old 11-20-20, 12:54 PM
bruce19

Originally Posted by CargoDane
I very much doubt you cannot get a ticket for doing that as you are a vehicle. I would think that any even moderately modern country (or state) would have such a law as you are a vehicle, albeit not a motorised one.

But, anyway, why would you want to ride on the wrong side ot the road?

Found an article about Connecticut. Turns out they apparently have more ruls specific to cycling than many other states. One is to not ride on the left side of the road:

https://bicycleuniverse.com/bicycle-...n-connecticut/
You're taking my comment out of context. I never ride on the wrong side of the road. I was responding to a post by someone else. Thank you for the site re: CT.
Old 11-20-20, 12:57 PM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
You're taking my comment out of context. I never ride on the wrong side of the road. I was responding to a post by someone else. Thank you for the site re: CT.
No, it was in context in the sense that the "you" was a general "you". I could have written "one" instead, but that sounded a bit formal to me.
But you're welcome, I found the link interesting too as a Dane not really well versed in US state laws

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.