Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

If You Were Going to Huret, Would it be Allvit or Svelto?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

If You Were Going to Huret, Would it be Allvit or Svelto?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-20, 09:10 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
I'm going to stick up for the unloved Allvit. Its day goes back to 1958 BTW, although those first Allvits looked different, didn't have that cover that hid the parallelogram. Here's the '58:

What I like about it is mostly theoretical -- the upper pulley goes down as the mech swings in towards low gear, where most other parallelograms swing up as they move in -- the opposite of what you want, for the jockey wheel to follow the shape of the freewheel and maintain a constant gap from the sprockets. Other mechs have different ways of achieving this, such as the upper pulley floating downward by various means even though the parallelogram is swinging up. DuoPar, Mountech, Super Plate were some of the ways that come to mind. But the Svelto had none of those, so its pulley swings up as it goes in. Thus it has to start out rather far away from the sprockets, and this also limits the largest sprocket it can clear. My Allvit shifts easily to a 32t and could probably clear a 34t (tho I haven't tried). Here's Rebour's explanation of the benefit of the Allvit:

The big heavy main body of the Allvit is needed because the fixed parallelogram pivots are at the bottom, and the free moving pivots are at the top. This is the opposite of every other mech ever made, to the best of my knowledge. No one ever copied it.

The Svelto was made as a cheaper alternative, for OEMs who didn't want to spring for the relatively pricey Allvit! I know this is hard to imagine nowadays, but the Allvit was actually kinda high-end, as touring mechs go. (Campy was not their competition.) Rene Herse among others spec'd the Allvit for ultimate cost-no-object constructeur bikes because for a while there ('60s), it was the best derailleur in the world for that sort of bike.

Allvit pros: shifts better, rebuildable.
Cons: needs to be rebuilt! The pivots get gummed up and need to be cleaned and oiled now and then, and many Allvits have bent parallelogram arms that bind up the action. When I overhauled the one on my Schwinn Super Sport, I straightened the bent arms, lubed and properly adjusted the pivots, and I couldn't believe the difference, the thing shifts really well now.

Oh yeah I also bent the parallelogram-return spring in the direction that increases the spring preload, so it shifts down to the small sprocket with more authority. Balky shifts into high gear was one of the common complaints about the Allvit, especially after it accumulated a bit of grit in the pivots. They should have made the spring stronger to begin with, but the mod I did on mine fixed that.

I know, who rebuilds an Allvit?? No one, right? Just throw it away and put on a Suntour, everyone sez. I only did it because I'm stubborn, and I kinda liked doing it.

Mark B in Seattle

(emphasis added by rhm)

All good points, and well explained, thanks!

To my mind the Allvit's fatal flaw is that if your bike falls over on the right side, or something heavy hits the derailleur from the right side, the derailleur is in a position to get bent. On a derailleur like the Campy Gran Sport or Huret Svelto, that has a parallelogram mounted more or less at the dropout, the derailleur just deflects as if shifting to a lower gear. The chain doesn't like it, but the derailleur survives. On an Allvit, or on any of the pull chain derailleurs (Simplex Tour de France, Cyclo Benelux, etc) the derailleur bends, often with catastrophic results.
Old 11-16-20, 09:29 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3808 Post(s)
Liked 6,683 Times in 2,609 Posts
I ran an Allvit on the 5-speed Raleigh Sprite I rehabbed for the COVID challenge. It was a pretty lousy performer.

Likes For nlerner:
Old 11-16-20, 09:57 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
As someone ignorant of Huret shifters and derailleurs, having never had the opportunity to use a set, can I ask a more basic question than the initial one?

How do either of these derailleurs compare to almost anything else on the market at that time? Is there anything that was generally considered "good" from another manufacturer that these were superior to in form or function? For some reason I usually get the impression that all of these Huret pieces below the Jubilee line have a bad reputation compared to the Campagnolo, Simplex, and early Shimano and Suntour offerings that they were up against. Is that true, and if so, why?

-Gregory
Old 11-17-20, 05:36 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by Kilroy1988
As someone ignorant of Huret shifters and derailleurs, having never had the opportunity to use a set, can I ask a more basic question than the initial one?

How do either of these derailleurs compare to almost anything else on the market at that time? Is there anything that was generally considered "good" from another manufacturer that these were superior to in form or function? For some reason I usually get the impression that all of these Huret pieces below the Jubilee line have a bad reputation compared to the Campagnolo, Simplex, and early Shimano and Suntour offerings that they were up against. Is that true, and if so, why?

-Gregory
A fair bit of the percieved ranking is /was due to newer-is-better thinking; the remainder comes from weight and minor design/finish characteristics. Alvits did have a different cage path and bb jockey bearings; some cages had offset knuckle pivots; the Simplexes (well most of them) had a sprung top pivot. Steel rusts, some designs had major weak points (old Valentinos seem to be *always* bent), the Alvit cable clamp was a bother to thread.

Huret was not afraid of finding the bottom end of the market, and yet they made the Jubilee. Curiously they made a steel front mech for a braze-on tab that is an homage to both - it has the major part of the Jubilee mechanism - including the lightweight nylon roller - executed in the same brutish stamped steel as the lowest of their other offerings.

The Alvit worked well, except that the cable mechanical advantage was low so you had to crank the shifter wingnut. They made special long levers to try to make it feel better, but they were not at all cool. The Alvit front mech got gunked up from tire spray, but it did have a rising cage, the Simplex pushrod went straight. The Valentino front had a rising cage but needed the same tight wingnut as the Alvit rear.

Simplexes were viewed as better because they were newer and lighter and felt better and they came on better bikes. It was obvious they were fragile, but a new one with alloy shifters was crisp and quiet. A Simplex that met a spoke was a dead Simplex.

The cheap Campy mechs were viewed as better because they had that name on them, mostly. The Velox had a bit of bling, the Valentino front gave you more tyre clearance that anything else.

Then there were outliers, like the Favorit mechs and Ofmega Mistrals, the nasty nasty Triplexes; and a host of Record clones from Roto/Zeus/Galli and the like. Even the Triplex was cooler than the Alvit.
Likes For oneclick:
Old 11-17-20, 08:12 AM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
If you are still trying to decide, I can now say from personal experience that the Svelto will have difficulty over 24-26 teeth on the back - yes it can work with a 28 but just barely. Alvitt had no problem at all. And the Svelto does not shift as precisely as the Alvitt, neither shifts as well as a good Simplex, and none of those shift anywhere near as well as pretty much any SunTour.
Old 11-17-20, 08:27 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 402 Posts
How about a Huret Luxe instead of either? It looks, to my eye, built to a higher standard of finish than the Allvit or Svelto (but, wow, expensive on eBay!):

Old 11-17-20, 09:18 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
How about a Huret Luxe instead of either? It looks, to my eye, built to a higher standard of finish than the Allvit or Svelto (but, wow, expensive on eBay!)
May as well save a little weight and get a Jubilee instead.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 11-17-20, 09:28 AM
tiger1964 

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
May as well save a little weight and get a Jubilee instead.
Sweet and I do think those shift well; unsure if OP's Gitane is of the correct era and/or price point for a Jubilee, or if he cares or just wants a Huret.

A shame they did not use the Allvit/Luxe parallelogram geometry on a derailleur built to Jubilee standards.

Old 11-17-20, 09:52 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
For me, weight is no concern. I'm even keeping the steel rims.

I like the design because as Mark showed before, they understood the benefit of following a constant gap from cog to cog. Suntour may have done it more effectively, but they weren't the first. And if these things were good enough for top builders like Rene Herse, then I'm sure I can get adequate shifting over five cogs for a simple errand/transport/cruiser bike.
Old 11-17-20, 09:57 AM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
@dweenk

Have you any thoughts/impressions after all this time about your choice?

Every Allvit that came my way in the past was really beat up. For some reason I'd been looking for one lately, and wouldn't you know it, the universe heeded my call.

It's cleaning up nicely. I'm going with a 14-28 5 speed TDC freewheel in place of the Atom 14-24, and a NOS Regina chain. Single 46 tooth chainwheel. Can't wait to get it on the road.
I went with the Allvit, so far no problems at all.
Likes For dweenk:
Old 11-17-20, 11:51 AM
tiger1964 

Originally Posted by dweenk
I went with the Allvit, so far no problems at all.
Sounds good, my memories of Allvit are a bit hazy to be honest. If you change your mind, I went to the derailleur box and pulled out my Luxe, I think I used it for a week or two 45 years ago, looks new, and would DONATE it to a fellow Marylander and Gitane owner if you wanted to drop by.

Old 11-17-20, 12:33 PM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 198 Posts
The Schwinn Super Sport I used as a commuter for several years had an Allvit (with "Twin-Stik" levers) and I thought it worked fine. I could tell when it needed to be cleaned and oiled because the shift into the smallest cog would become sluggish.

forgive the quality of this pic, it is a scan of an old 3 1/2 x 5 snapshot

The Huret Jubilee that was original equipment on my Raleigh Super Course MkII eventually showed the same symptom after 40 years of use, but no amount of cleaning and oiling would resolve its lack of ability to make that shift. I think that the spring had just become too "tired". I replaced that derailleur with a Huret Challenger, which is correct for that bike according to the catalogs, and that derailleur shifts more positively and also allowed me to go from 24t to 28t on the freewheel. Better all around!

I have a Huret Luxe on the '73 Super Course even though there should be a Simplex for that year (the Luxe was no longer produced in 1973). I have mixed feelings about the Luxe - I kind of like the "minimalist" look of it, but the shifting is both high-effort and a little vague. This may be a consequence of the extra cable runs required by the stem shifters I'm using with the all-rounder bars or it may just be the nature of the thing having potential for flex. I liked it better when I was using it with downtube "Manettes a grand levier" (the longer Huret shift levers). It really needs those levers, both they looked too much like spears when I had them mounted on the stem.
Old 11-17-20, 01:43 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Sounds good, my memories of Allvit are a bit hazy to be honest. If you change your mind, I went to the derailleur box and pulled out my Luxe, I think I used it for a week or two 45 years ago, looks new, and would DONATE it to a fellow Marylander and Gitane owner if you wanted to drop by.
I appreciate your offer, but I need no more parts. Someday soon I need to rid the garage of most of my bikes and parts.
Old 11-17-20, 05:18 PM
kroozer 
vintage motor

Bikes: 48 Automoto, 49 Stallard, 50 Rotrax, 62 Jack Taylor, 67 Atala, 68 Lejeune, 72-74-75 Motobecanes, 73 RIH, 71 Zieleman, 74 Raleigh, 78 Windsor, 83 Messina (Villata), 84 Brazzo (Losa), 85 Davidson, 90 Diamondback, 92 Kestrel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 79 Posts
I'm debating between an Allvit and a Svelto for my '62 Jack Taylor International (the guy who sold me the frame threw in a whole pile of old Huret derailleurs). It was originally equipped with an Allvit and I may yet put one on. I haven't used an Allvit since my Schwinn Continental in the 70's. Right now I'm using the Svelto simply because I've never tried one before. It shifts a 13-26 FW and 36-48 chainrings with no problem. I'm using the extra-long levers so shifting is rather slow, like changing gears on a truck. But I think they're the coolest levers ever.
Old 11-17-20, 07:28 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
The Allvit's curved arc of upper pulley travel also defined the annoying characteristics of it's spring force and lever tension screw settings.

Because the cage's travel path is more vertical approaching the largest cog, the spring and cable tension will allow the parallelogram to swing uncontrollably in response to bumps in the road UNLESS the spring tension and the lever friction setting are high when using the largest cogs.

So Huret firstly used a higher-rate return spring, which winds up tight as you approach low gear which usually is 28t with these derailers. And so you had to screw the wingnut tighter to hold the spring tension.
It was all perfectly executed on the Supersport, with the pair of long Twin-Stik levers that easily handled the extra spring and friction forces.

The other thing about the Supersport was that the long-cage Allvit was used here to handle the chain wrap of the 14-32t(34t?) freewheel. But the top pulley still had to clear the huge cog and this was accomplished not by any cage tweak, but by swinging the derailer body clockwise into a more-vertical position. This was done merely by use of a modified "claw" mounting bracket.
I prefer not to exceed 28t using the Allvit because of the added chain gap caused by moving the derailer body rearward into a vertical position. This causes huge problems with shifting response when using the sort of flexible, bushingless, modern chain that I prefer using with my Uniglide and Suntour freewheels, so a stock Supersport may actually shift better using laterally-stiff vintage chain because of the huge chain gap over the smaller cogs.

Sugino of all companies actually did copy the Allvit's very-long dropped-knuckle, "bumper-steel" design on their VIC model derailer, but also tilted the parallelogram, making this a hybrid of a Suntour and an Allvit! This was an indexed derailer and as such needed to maintain as small of a chain gap as possible. The VIC was seriously flawed though in that it's wildly-protruding limit screws were ultra-vulnerable to impact from even light trail debris, and was sold only with indexed mtb-style thumb levers.
The VIC's curious assemblage of design elements I think illustrates how difficult it can be to make yet another version of a product that has already had the best features patent-protected.

https://www.bikestash.com/images/rear...6bdfdd16797271

Last edited by dddd; 11-17-20 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-17-20, 09:03 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
Consider the Huret Challenger derailleur. It worked pretty well.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 11-18-20, 10:20 AM
tiger1964 

Originally Posted by dweenk
I appreciate your offer, but I need no more parts.
No problem, back in the box it goes. Might be a Plan B if my project using a Simplex 543 does not pan out (which would break my heart), but unsure if a short-cage Luxe would have enough range (13-24, single chainring).

Originally Posted by dddd
The Allvit's curved arc of upper pulley travel also defined the annoying characteristics of it's spring force and lever tension screw settings.(snip) Sugino of all companies actually did copy the Allvit's very-long dropped-knuckle, "bumper-steel" design on their VIC model derailer, but also tilted the parallelogram, making this a hybrid of a Suntour and an Allvit! This was an indexed derailer and as such needed to maintain as small of a chain gap as possible.
Which reminds me that I was just wondering if anyone ever made a variable-slant-parallelogram RD? It would require (heavy) places to adjust at both ends of the p'gram, but you could follow any freewheel/cassette; well, at least until today's crazy 50T largest cog one I see today.

Old 11-18-20, 12:34 PM
steve sumner

Bikes: '68 Masi Special road, Grail bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 58 Posts
I would use a Jubile. by far the most elegant bicycle part ever made. but back to alvits and sveltos.
don't forget that the alvit was stock on herse and singer so even tho it's considered bottom of the
line (because of Schwinn) it actually functions better that the Svelto but the Svelto looks better.
so I guess it's a toss up. I guess the question is how good is the frame? good enough to upgrade
to a Jubile or no?
Old 11-18-20, 02:11 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

...Which reminds me that I was just wondering if anyone ever made a variable-slant-parallelogram RD? It would require (heavy) places to adjust at both ends of the p'gram, but you could follow any freewheel/cassette; well, at least until today's crazy 50T largest cog one I see today.
Check out the Campagnolo Chorus "A-B" derailer from the C-Record era.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...mageHoverTitle
Old 11-18-20, 03:35 PM
tiger1964 

Originally Posted by dddd
Check out the Campagnolo Chorus "A-B" derailer from the C-Record era.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...mageHoverTitle
That's it! Exactly what I was thinking, except why only two positions, and I'd imaging a long-cage version would be good for the big-cog freewheels. Way to go, Campy!

Of course, being mostly away from bikes from 1981-2017 means I missed out on a lot of developments.

Old 11-18-20, 05:32 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

That's it! Exactly what I was thinking, except why only two positions, and I'd imaging a long-cage version would be good for the big-cog freewheels. Way to go, Campy!...
It was an index-compatible derailer, so the shifter indexing rings each had to be calibrated for an exact position (A or B in this case).

It would also be critical for each position to have both ends of the parallelogram "indexed" to the exact same A or B position, so the cage remained parallel to the cogs.

So Campy chose to offer two indexing rings for 6s use and presumably two more rings for 7s use, and with each end of the parallelogram having two fixed "indexed" positions A and B.
Old 11-18-20, 07:13 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 393 Posts
Well now I guess I have to put the stock Allvit on a 73 Super Sport that I am putting together for my son. I took the stock one off my 73 that I bought in 75 very early on. Stock is stock I guess.
Old 11-18-20, 07:34 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
I vote for the Allvit, just because I always root for the underdog. There's also something oddly appealing about these derailleurs.
Since I can't call for a DuoPar, I would go for Allvit, for that same reason. But if it subsequently broke I'd go to the Svelto.
Old 11-18-20, 07:39 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
I vote for the Allvit, just because I always root for the underdog. There's also something oddly appealing about these derailleurs.
Since I can't call for a DuoPar, I would go for Allvit, for that same reason. But if it subsequently broke I'd go to the Svelto.
Old 11-19-20, 10:18 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,831 Times in 2,229 Posts
Pulled the Svelto off the Frejus.

A few pics - just for the record. Maybe I shoulda disassembled and cleaned first but ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.